PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,247
    Such sad news.
    R.I.P.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    A loss to our community.

A loss to this world.

Our thoughts are with Laura's family and all of her friends.

Brent
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Rest in Peace Laura.

I took a spur of the moment road trip to Cleveland to see Laura a few months ago. We had become good friends and talked a lot on line and on the phone, especially after she was diagnosed with her cancer. We could compare notes, as I fought a battle with it and won, and we laughed and cried and bitched about medical systems and laughed again and sipped wine and toasted over the phone.
    When I got to Cleveland to meet Laura in person for the first time, I stood before a woman who had the strength, the will and the sense of humor to face this disease head on with dignity, grace and humor. That was the week that she was going to Germany for her treatment and it was so great to see her before she and her husband left.
    I also met that loving family, two daughters and her husband who are just so generous and giving. It definitely runs in the family!
    I hope for peace and happiness to Hippiemom’s family.

When we were talking about Pearl jam, ( or rather when she was laughing at my lack of knowledge of all the songs! :D ) we talked about Long Road. It’s my favorite Pearl Jam song, too. My favorite version is the one with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, but I also love her favorite version, too, as Neil Young meant so much to both of us, too..

Hippiemom, you are so fortunate to have had such a great family, and they were so fortunate to have you.

Through your family the wonderful woman who is Hippiemom will live on.
    Through all who think for themselves, think about others, do for others, who make people think, and who make people laugh, the spirit of Hippiemom will live on.
    Peace to all who knew her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JbVi4ME8vs

Love
    Bob

Rest in Peace..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I got the sad news today in a myspace bulletin.

I'm very sorry.

We will miss you hippiemom!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    what is the story with her and Neil? I'd love to hear it, or any other great stories about her...
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Never knew here. Probably responded to each others posts. But do remember the positivity and braveness she exuded. Wherever she may be, may she be there in peace. PJ fans are the best and it's terribly sad to lose one! Peace to her family as well. Take care. :)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    My thoughts go out to hippiemom's family and friends.

I never met her, but she made a big impact on my life. She will be dearly missed by anyone who knew her...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    :(:(

So sad...
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Havent been on here on a while but that is so sad.

RIP
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    That is the saddest thing I have read. We all have lost a great poster/fan/and online friend.

Just terrible news.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    That is the saddest thing I have read. We all have lost a great poster/fan/and online friend.

Just terrible news.

It's such shocking and sad news. :(
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    it really is sad... but she did fight hard and is no longer in pain, but that really doesn't make me feel any better...
    I hate cancer!
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    It's such shocking and sad news. :(
    Just the worst!

It's funny how close to home this feels - even though I never met her in real life. So sad to lose one of our own.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Just the worst!

It's funny how close to home this feels - even though I never met her in real life. So sad to lose one of our own.

Exactly.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    I never met her outside of posts, but this is terrible to hear.

I understand what her family is going through...my Mom passed away from cancer last October. Remember the good times.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Was just over on A moving Train, and found out about Laura and her struggles. I am so hurting inside right now, it's hard to fight back the tears. What a feisty gal, reminded me a bit of myself! I need to regroup my thoughts and post more later. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    it's incredible how you can never meet a person face-to-face yet feel such a huge loss!

our interactions were limited, but Laura had a great impact on me in just the few short times we corresponded. her compassion when my father passed away stuck with me, and will continue to do so.

my heart is aching for her family and for any person who never had the chance to feel her warmth even once.

i found this clip and immediately thought it was appropriate for this moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cdLSYjKpzA

it's hard to imagine the pit without a hippiemom.

RIP
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    My heart is sadden when I first read the bulletins on Myspace.com. Even though I never met her in person, I remember seeing her at the get-together at the bar, in Cleveland, right before the show. I always loved reading her posts.

we lost another member of our family. Hippiemom, we will never forget you.
    My thoughts go out to her family during this difficult time.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580
    I feel honored to have exchanged words with such an inspiring woman. Her strength lives in my heart.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Le Mum Du Hip as i used to call her... and i still do... :)

i'm so sad to hear this news, i said something silly a while back that made you smile and you said you'd give me a big hug but, because of your surgery, you thought the hug might hurt too much... well at least you can feel no pain now my dear... so hug away... the pain is gone

we miss you
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I never met Laura in the real world... I only know her from here. I hope for her friends and family. Laura will remain in their hearts... I'm sure of that. I hope and believe that she is someplace where all of the things she fought against in her lifetime, do not exist.
    I also hope that when my time comes... I'll be able to meet her in that world.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    just caught wind of this... shocked.... it just seemed like last week I was flirting with her in Detroit (Laura would find this funny )

she was/is a beautiful person... we will all miss her much

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/merich/Pearl%20Jam%202006/Detroit%205-22-2006/CCFA-Detroit-5-22-06a.jpg
    got distracted for a moment by Liam's hair :eek:

I assume this is her next to you (second from the right for those that don't know Evil).
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I didn't know her, only from her posts here....maybe an exchange or two between us....

thoughts and prayers from my family to hers. RIP
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    Pegasus wrote:
    got distracted for a moment by Liam's hair :eek:

I assume this is her next to you (second from the right for those that don't know Evil).

Yeah.. for those who don't know, in the picture from L to R:

Liam/DarkStar, me, Nick/Nixon in Detroit, Jeannette/luvistower, Laura/hippiemom & Eric/Evil Closet Monkey.

She was a riot that day and a little ball of activity.. we were singing and having fun doing tickets and whatnot.. her and Jeannette talking about veggie stuff.. so many funny things....

I remember she wanted to get on the bus to head to the venue early so she could get in before all the craziness.. someone was looking for her (I forgot who) and we even talked about Laura wanting to be there early so as to not miss a moment...
    wolfbear wrote:
    Me either! I'm jealous you actually got to meet her in person. I've only talked on the phone with her and online and here. She almost came to visit for the Gorge shows but decided it would be too much. :( I always loved her from her posts here, but when I finally talked to her it was awesome. She was quite the lady, for lack of a better word. We laughed and told stories (of course hers were better than mine to be sure!) Her Neil Young story blew my mind. I will miss her and I am so sorry we never met in person. Hopefully we will later on... :)

I think you two definitely would've had a blast together...she 'hung' like the best of us all.. I wish you and everyone here had a chance to meet her in person. Hell I wish I knew her better than even the small time we did connect
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    Just remembered.. in March of this year, Laura shaved her head to support St. Baldrick's Foundation in helping to research/find a cure for children's cancer... also to support fellow fan Shana and her daughter Mackenzie...

http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/shavee_info.html?ParticipantKey=2007|1759
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    Sad news. I never met her but have interacted with her on the board. Such a nice person.

I am sure she is in a better place now. Rock on Hippiemom!!!
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53
    it's news like this that makes me question the fairness of life.
    condolences to her family and friends, here and everywhere.
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)
  • Options
    all I can say is that Im really fucking sad. Please excuse my language but that is the only way it seems to come out right now. I will miss her very much, her loving kind words she sent me when ever I was having a hard time with anything... just everything about her. I'll see you when I get there.
    peace and love
  • Options
    mkcapsmkcaps Posts: 36
    Such terrible news..
    rest in peace Laura..
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    I will always remember those candid moments in the gabbly room on saturday nights. Her display of personal strengths in light of her circumstances served as an inspiration for me as I attempted to deal with comparatively inconsequential challenges in my life.