Options

coke?

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Anyone take? If so, why? Don't you realise you turn into an unbearable prick with absolutely nothing interesting to say whatsoever? Hope the high is worth losing friends over!

It's not that it pisses me off... but I have certain friends who, when I go out, take it with other friends. I don't mind people doing whatever they want but when they talk pure and annoying shite for hours on end there's only so much I can put up with.

I've never tried it so I don't know. It's hitting the headlines at the moment cos there's an Irish model who admitted a couple of weeks ago to having taken it and she spoke out against it and how it ruins lives. At the weekend she collapsed with a heart attack at a friends party and is in a coma at the moment... I don't know if the two are related but it's strange for an otherwise healthy 24 year old to have a heart attack :confused:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/model-katy-still-fighting-for-her-life-1236234.html?start=2

whooa i haven't heard anyone talk about coke for yrs last time i snorted any was probably 1986, i agree that is the most irritating thing ever to try to talk to someone on coke the conversation could be about a match and they would talk for hrs on end ....once i decided to quit snorting it back then i lost just about all my friends i just couldn't hang anymore with any one doing it ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    well I don't mean the friends I'm talking about are addicts or even daily users... I mean they'd get their hands on some maybe once a month 'as a treat' or something. I'm generally not talking about the people who have a serious problem... but the people who don't have a problem YET but seem to think it's fun and cool :confused:
    My few friends who have tried coke only did so occasionally. Like I said, they'd party with us and not do it. If they partied with another group, they would, as you said, for a treat. If you go to more up scale, trendy bars, I'm sure there would be more use, just as back in the '90s, if you went to a rave, there'd be rampant use of ecstasy. If you went to the local pub, no one would be on ecstasy or coke. Coke, like ecstasy, is used in certain circles, but overall, its use is low. Pot, on the other hand, has become common place in the last ten years, after years of decline following the hippie era.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    holy crap @ the picture of that sore/wound on her arm from injecting.

When you screw excessively with the dopamine receptors in your brain you are asking for serious long term consequences. It literally kills the person you used to be. Happiness can become a struggle, and depressive moods commonplace.

Even pot or alcohol isn't so great to consume a lot of. I find the better shape I'm in physically the more of a high I get being straight. Cocaine is really bad news. Great for the first while, but when the gloss fades it's a very ugly reality.

Coke and meth can literally make you insane. It's bad. That is the destination with these drugs; brain damage (psychological) that takes several years to heal from if/once you can kick the habit.

I've seen some pretty sad cases.

Then there's this vid. Can you imagine what's going on inside to actually show that bad on the outside? (frightening)
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/109486/faces_of_meth/
    I'd agree about the pot and alcohol... I'm not sure if pot itself is actually addictive or if it's just that when you need to smoke it to become how you like to be, you convince yourself you're addicted... but I have seen people who seriously panic whenever there's a drought or stock up for months in advance. I think drugs in general are to be avoided. If you feel like you need something to make you how you want to be, well perhaps you have issues. If you DON'T feel you need something to make you how you want to be, well why take anything in the first place? :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I'm no angel when it comes to past drug use, but coke never attracted me. I would see some of my friends or aquantences all wound up on Coke and it just didn't look like fun to me. I preferred mushrooms and pot. I did some LSD but towards the end of the trip is was usually too speedy for me. I felt like I was wound so tight I would snap. Just seems like a really stupid drug to me.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    My few friends who have tried coke only did so occasionally. Like I said, they'd party with us and not do it. If they partied with another group, they would, as you said, for a treat. If you go to more up scale, trendy bars, I'm sure there would be more use, just as back in the '90s, if you went to a rave, there'd be rampant use of ecstasy. If you went to the local pub, no one would be on ecstasy or coke. Coke, like ecstasy, is used in certain circles, but overall, its use is low. Pot, on the other hand ...
    Yeh it's the same with my friends... that if they're just out with me or out with me and other people who don't bother with it, they don't take it. But if I'm out with them and other friends of theirs who DO take it, well sometimes I could be surrounded by cokeheads and me the only one NOT. And well... I'm sure you can imagine what that's like :o

I don't hear much about ecstasy anymore... could be my age group, well it's definitely still there, just not very much amongst my friends... it was huge in the 90s though... and yep, even in the local pub. I'm guessing it's more of a Dublin thing than anywhere else judging by the replies in this thread though :o

http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=5448
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    If you feel like you need something to make you how you want to be, well perhaps you have issues. If you DON'T feel you need something to make you how you want to be, well why take anything in the first place? :confused:
    Many people have the same opinion about alcohol.
  • Options
    holy crap @ the picture of that sore/wound on her arm from injecting.

When you screw excessively with the dopamine receptors in your brain you are asking for serious long term consequences. It literally kills the person you used to be. Happiness can become a struggle, and depressive moods commonplace.

Even pot or alcohol isn't so great to consume a lot of. I find the better shape I'm in physically the more of a high I get being straight. Cocaine is really bad news. Great for the first while, but when the gloss fades it's a very ugly reality.

Coke and meth can literally make you insane. It's bad. That is the destination with these drugs; brain damage (psychological) that takes several years to heal from if/once you can kick the habit.

I've seen some pretty sad cases.

Then there's this vid. Can you imagine what's going on inside to actually show that bad on the outside? (frightening)
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/109486/faces_of_meth/

I have lost a few good friends to heroin and a few more are probably better off dead instead of the herion induced zombie state they live in. It's a fucked up drug and it puzzles me to death why people still attempt to dabble with it knowing how addictive and destructive it can be.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Many people have the same opinion about alcohol.
    well that's true too... although I like the taste of alcohol :o and it just makes a more extreme version of me :D but generally doesn't turn me into somebody I'm not.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Yeh it's the same with my friends... that if they're just out with me or out with me and other people who don't bother with it, they don't take it. But if I'm out with them and other friends of theirs who DO take it, well sometimes I could be surrounded by cokeheads and me the only one NOT. And well... I'm sure you can imagine what that's like :o

I don't hear much about ecstasy anymore... could be my age group, well it's definitely still there, just not very much amongst my friends... it was huge in the 90s though... and yep, even in the local pub. I'm guessing it's more of a Dublin thing than anywhere else judging by the replies in this thread though :o

http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=5448
    It doesn't sound like it's much fun to hang out with your friends with their friends (if they're all on coke). If I were the only person not doing coke and I didn't find it much fun to be around everyone else who was, I'd hang out with a different group of friends or find something else to do that night, but that's just me.

Not to say that people don't do drugs in other environments, as well. About 10 years, I went to a carnival with two of my friends who were on ecstasy. That was super fun. Or there was that time a couple of my friends did shrooms before we went to a bar to watch the hockey game. All night, my friends were paranoid about everyone looking and pointing at them. There was a t.v. above our table.
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like it's much fun to hang out with your friends with their friends (if they're all on coke). If I were the only person not doing coke and I didn't find it much fun to be around everyone else who was, I'd hang out with a different group of friends or find something else to do that night, but that's just me.

Not to say that people don't do drugs in other environments, as well. About 10 years, I went to a carnival with two of my friends who were on ecstasy. That was super fun. Or there was that time a couple of my friends did shrooms before we went to a bar to watch the hockey game. All night, my friends were paranoid about everyone looking and pointing at them. There was a t.v. above our table.
    No, I said I've stopped going out with them when they go out with certain friends. They know they turn into assholes but they think it's funny :confused: . I've learned my lesson although it took a while. Initially it would only be AFTER we've gone out they might say 'I might try and get some coke tonight' or something and then sometimes it's too late for me to go home... I don't like leaving pubs anyway :D . I usually get chatting to other people after a while so I don't have to listen to their shite. It's not even like when someone's stoned and it's funny at first, then it gets boring... with coke you just think 'what the fuck's wrong with him/her?' and then you remember
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I have lost a few good friends to heroin and a few more are probably better off dead instead of the herion induced zombie state they live in. It's a fucked up drug and it puzzles me to death why people still attempt to dabble with it knowing how addictive and destructive it can be.

People don't realize the problem kicking hard drugs like heroin, meth, coke, is not just physically kicking the habit, but coming to terms and coping with the person you've become afterwards (without the drug). Depending how deep one goes, even after the physical addiction is broken, it's still a lifelong psychological struggle, and you never really return to the person you once were. It's a seriously bad deal. Life wrecking.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i've seen it ruin a loved one's life....no way that i'd ever touch the stuff! i'll just never understand how she afforded that shit...unless she was lying to cover up using something else?!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    even flow? wrote:

When you are around people on coke you can only hear the same story over, and over, and over again.
    like alcohol, but without the slurring.
    boring and expensive drug, I still don't understand the hype. Alcohol is more fun!
  • Options
    People don't realize the problem kicking hard drugs like heroin, meth, coke, is not just physically kicking the habit, but coming to terms and coping with the person you've become afterwards (without the drug). Depending how deep one goes, even after the physical addiction is broken, it's still a lifelong psychological struggle, and you never really return to the person you once were. It's a seriously bad deal. Life wrecking.

Trust me I know. I have seen the damage hard drugs has done to several people in my life. My very first girlfriend back in high school dropped off the face of the earth while I was in college a few years later I had heard she was in pretty bad shape. Then no more news about her. About 2 years ago I was down the shore at a bar with some friends and I ran into her. She was a fucking mess. This used to be a really attractive girl. Tall with an athlete beautfull figure. When I saw her she was gaunt, her skin looked fucking grey, and her eyes where sucken into her head. She didn't even recognize me at first. When she finally did she ask me if I could spare a couple of bucks because she "lost her wallet". It fucking hurt to see someone I had known since kindergarten and even after we had are high school romance still remained best of friends begging like some crack whore just to get her next fix. I told her I had no cash but I would take her to get something to eat, and put it on my credit card, she got all pissed off and stormed away. The last I heard, from a friend who is a cop, is that she was busted for prostitution.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Trust me I know. I have seen the damage hard drugs has done to several people in my life. My very first girlfriend back in high school dropped off the face of the earth while I was in college a few years later I had heard she was in pretty bad shape. Then no more news about her. About 2 years ago I was down the shore at a bar with some friends and I ran into her. She was a fucking mess. This used to be a really attractive girl. Tall with an athlete beautfull figure. When I saw her she was gaunt, her skin looked fucking grey, and her eyes where sucken into her head. She didn't even recognize me at first. When she finally did she ask me if I could spare a couple of bucks because she "lost her wallet". It fucking hurt to see someone I had known since kindergarten and even after we had are high school romance still remained best of friends begging like some crack whore just to get her next fix. I told her I had no cash but I would take her to get something to eat, and put it on my credit card, she got all pissed off and stormed away. The last I heard, from a friend who is a cop, is that she was busted for prostitution.

Just reading that gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I feel bad for the ones that get lost and can't find a way climb out...what a nightmare.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    You obviously didn't speak to ANYBODY? :eek:

Seriously... pretty much everyone my age smoke... ALL of my good friends smoke at least one a day... a few of them smoke them like cigarettes. Next time you're here, bring up the subject, chances are they smoke... if not regularly at least the odd time.

we were asking, and nobody had any clue where to get it. they said hash is easier to come by but even that we only saw once.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Thank you :o and I'm sorry to hear about all that.

And those who think it's glamourous because of films like goodfellas, etc. obviously didn't watch the film too closely :o

(not a swipe at you soulsinging, i understand that once something is common in films especially with gangsters, it's kinda considered glamourous)

not sure why id take that as a swipe at me. my experiences with coke were firsthand, not via movies. i actually don't care for the coke movies... blow and goodfellas are 2 movies my friends love but i could take or leave them. i just thought it was fun the few times i dabbled. undoubtedly it can really destroy people and i imagine it would be annoying being around people doing it when you're not (which is why i asked about hanging out with them). but then, who likes to be around ANYONE that's using anything when they're not? i don't like hanging out with potheads or drunks either. not becos what they do is wrong, just becos im on a different wavelength and it makes it awkward.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    mammasan wrote:
    That's really brutal. Shit like that scares me a lot, though I don't write off the use of any drugs without trying it. I think you need to know what you are talking about before you can comment on it, as you clearly do. The weird thing is, some people really can use stuff like coke for long periods of time and never get messed up like that. I personally know several people who have but then I also know people who have been messed up. It's all about who you are as a person.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That's really brutal. Shit like that scares me a lot, though I don't write off the use of any drugs without trying it. I think you need to know what you are talking about before you can comment on it, as you clearly do. The weird thing is, some people really can use stuff like coke for long periods of time and never get messed up like that. I personally know several people who have but then I also know people who have been messed up. It's all about who you are as a person.

That was just one story from one friend. In total I have lost 4 friends to herion addiction, one blew his brains out the other 3 overdosed. An old classmate of mine was homeless the last time I heard, he was a huge coke fiend. A second classmate from grammer school is in prison for a string of robberies to help feed his addiction to coke. Then there is my ex girlfriend that I mentioned in my post and a forth friend who just keeps repeating the cycle of rehap followed by going back out for sometime and then back to rehab. There are 3 or 4 more old high school and grammer school classmates, some who where good friends while we where in school, who have completely dropped off the face of the earth. I honestly don't know if they are dead or alive or even if they managed to get their lives back together. Most of these people I grew up with but they decided to follow a different path than I did and ended up in the fucked up situations they are in now. I truely feel sorry for them and when I do see them, which is not very often, my heart sinks. I desperately want to help them but unfortunetly their addictions have complete control of them and they are not able or willing to get the necessary help. I feel that in a few years this death count will probably go up as more of them succumb to their addictions.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

STAY AWAY FOM THE POWDERS PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Im all for a little experimentation, EXCEPT the powders.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    All things in moderation, people. There are more people ruining their lives and killing themselves (and others) with nicotine and alcohol than all the other drugs combined and those two drugs are legal.

I know way, way more people who have used coke and not wound up with a problem than I do those who did. In fact, almost always the issue is with the person not the drug that causes abuse. Drugs are just a good excuse to not deal with whatever the real problem is but obviously chemical abuse compounds things.

I've tried every substance known to man and the only thing I come back to is booze and weed.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    coke can be fun, but only for about an hour. then when its not doing the trick anymore, all you can think about is doing more.

and like tom petty said, "coming down, is the hardest thing."
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    :eek: heroin? Ya serious? Have you seen night of the living dead? That's what certain parts of dublin can be like. I understand that it's kinda glamourised a bit over there from previous threads? It's far from glamourised here... it's just a total waste of a life I think whenever I see a junkie :o

im not actually gonna do any of them..... i just cant see myself taking an upper... i think id go crazy...... i had an internship at a drug counseling center when i studied in scotland and most of the ppl were on heroin... it was depressing to see what had happened in their lives.... but as far as the feeling of when youre actually on the drug... yeah, id pick heroin. and i dont think its galmourised in america (if thats what you mean by over there lol)
  • Options
    we were asking, and nobody had any clue where to get it. they said hash is easier to come by but even that we only saw once.
    ahhh... you're talking about weed? Yeh, that's not so easy to come by here... but everyone smokes hash.

And those of you who say that coke's ok taken in moderation, consider THIS story:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/1204/breaking49.htm

That party was a couple of weeks ago... weekend coke users, not addicts but just taking some cos there was a party... 15 people ended up in hospital afterwards and two of them in a coma, the first of whom died yesterday, only 21, already beaten testicular cancer

Yes, alcohol and cigarettes may be more addictive and cause more deaths BUT you know what you're taking. I've never heard of anyone dying from a 'bad cigarette' or from a 'bad pint'. Perhaps it's happened, I dunno but I've read that coke is only 36% pure HERE (percentages are different in every country and I believe Ireland is particularly low) so even if it's 90% you've no idea what the other 1% you're putting up your nose is.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Cocaine-induced convos tend to be self-absorbed and accommodating towards delusions of grandjeur. They're extensions of what the user is feeling, which is generally a focus on him/her self and whatever alternate reality that he/she is currently nursing. And, as is common knowledge, people who are self-absorbed and pre-occupied with a perception of their own greatness are infamously boring conversationalists.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    When cocaine arrives at the brain reward system, it blocks the dopamine transport sites, which are responsible for the reuptake of dopamine in dopaminergic synapeses in this region. Therefore, dopamine is not removed from the synaptic gap, and it remains free there, in ever increasing amounts, because successive nervous stimuli continue to arrive and to release dopamine. The effect remains until cocaine is removed from the presynaptic terminals. It is believed that the abnormally long presence of dopamine in the brain is responsible for the pleasure effects associated to the use of cocaine. The prolonged use of cocaine makes the brain to adapt to it, and the overall synthesis of dopamine by the neurons is decreased. Between cocaine doses, or when the use of cocaine is interrupted, the drug user experiences the opposite of pleasure, due to the low levels of dopamine: fatigue, depression and altered moods.
    http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n08/doencas/drugs/anim1_i.htm
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    well yeah, it WAS the 80's and using cocaine WAS mandatory ;)

seriously though i did do it some. I guess that I was lucky in that i never had much of an addictive personality. I was one of those that could do a few lines and think "well that was fun" and not give a damn when I'd see another line. I haven't touched it since before i got pregnant with my first kid at 21. it quickly lost it's appeal for me and I just didn't see the point in doing it anymore. that probably had alot to do with watching my bf go from being a pretty nice guy to becoming a mean, abusive drunk and cokehead within over a year's time and beyond. he progressed to doing alot of coke, to the point where he was dealing in it order to pay for his habit, and running from his dealers. he would have times where he'd be clean of it for a few months but everytime he'd fall right back into doing it again. then his dad died and left him alot of $. so he literally shoved enough money to buy a nice house up his nose. and of course all of his abusive, nasty behaviors escalated with his coke use. it was too brutal to take and too heartbreaking to watch him continue to do to himself. I finally got my kids and myself away from him and never looked back.
    I watched first-hand as coke (and booze as well) turned a fairly nice guy into a fucking monster so no one can ever convince me that there could ever be anything positive about that shit. :(
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    i like diet coke
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    xscorcho wrote:
    i had an internship at a drug counseling center when i studied in scotland and most of the ppl were on heroin... it was depressing to see what had happened in their lives....

i hear that

ive worked in a drug rehab centre (a general clinic but thats one aspect) in west Dublin (in a particularly bad area, young drug usage very common) for about 7 years part-time and we have list of about 40 heroin addicts receiving Methadone treatment at any given time. its just a slow moving line of them who come in, fuck about while meant to be on the treatment, and eventually OD. there are so few who manage to sort themselves out (as discussed earlier)

ive never seen a more useless human being in my life than a heroin addict. they (generally) seem to be incapable of looking after themselves, or caring about anyone else, they lose their kids to social welfare, lose their jobs...ugh its infuriating.

And to Helen, you're right: Coke = Bad. Ecstasy = VERY common in Dublin. Hash= harder to find than it was few years ago. Weed = as comonplace as Dodo's and Leprechauns.

i cant remember how long its been since ive been on a nite out and not seen someone doin pills or lines.

See Bertie made an issue of pointing out that the public should stop buying drugs and funding crime if they want crime rates to go down? Tellin it like it is...
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

And to Helen, you're right: Coke = Bad. Ecstasy = VERY common in Dublin. Hash= harder to find than it was few years ago. Weed = as comonplace as Dodo's and Leprechauns.

yeh, I have to admit the guards are doing a pretty good job... anytime there's a big bust, it's impossible for ANYONE to get anything! Not that I find much wrong with hash but I guess that's their job and, regarding drugs, I think they're doing it.
    JordyWordy wrote:
    See Bertie made an issue of pointing out that the public should stop buying drugs and funding crime if they want crime rates to go down? Tellin it like it is...

I know... how hard is it for people to get this into their heads. Most coke users I know 'wouldn't touch drugs' :rolleyes: and think it's quite innocent and just like alcohol. Most of them don't really like it all that much and just seem to take it cos everyone does. Then when I mention articles in the paper about kids who die just so someone can be a party user they're like 'I really don't wanna know. They give out about the gangs and the killings and everything else but they don't make the connection cos they get their drugs usually off a friend, the line from import to the pub/party seems a LONG one. It's just so simple.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life