My first 'dinner guests'

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :eek:
    Are you and Dunk in cahoots????

Anyone that doesn't know the people around here:
    DO NOT BUY THE BROWN MEAT!

Helen, next time cook up the whole batch of sauce and freeze it. This way you can be lazy next time you accidentally invite over some guests and not worry about going to hospital as well.

No but that's what Jamie Oliver says and he's on T.V.

T.V. is ALWAYS right! :o;)

I'll ask Brian Turner on Saturday. He's got a shop just round the corner from us. He's in there on Saturdays. :cool: :D
  • Options
    It depends on where in the world they're from, I guess.

I don't believe anyone pronounces it that way in Spain. The 'itz' sound (with the 't') is Italian, not Spanish.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's just stupid English TV chefs not doing their research.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I don't believe anyone pronounces it that way in Spain. The 'itz' sound (with the 't') is Italian, not Spanish.

Yes but people sound like pretentious snobs if they try and pronounce it the same way as the country it originates from, does.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    No but that's what Jamie Oliver says and he's on T.V.

T.V. is ALWAYS right! :o;)

I'll ask Brian Turner on Saturday. He's got a shop just round the corner from us. He's in there on Saturdays. :cool: :D
    What tastes good is not always the best thing for you.
    This convo is giving me a stomach ache...:(
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Yes but people sound like pretentious snobs if they try and pronounce it the same way as the country it originates from, does.

Well then why bother with the 'ITZ'.... Just called it choreezo. It's like adding a bit of Italian which was never there.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :eek:
    Are you and Dunk in cahoots????

Anyone that doesn't know the people around here:
    DO NOT BUY THE BROWN MEAT!

Helen, next time cook up the whole batch of sauce and freeze it. This way you can be lazy next time you accidentally invite over some guests and not worry about going to hospital as well.
    :) Yeh, I was gonna do that and I don't actually know why I didn't :o think I was just having a daft moment :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:

You're right but as long as I don't get food poisoning, I'd rather have tasty food. :)

And I've never had food poisoning... (You still maybe right though. I've just never known anyone get sick from eating brown meat before it's cooked... or even raw).
  • Options
    You're right but as long as I don't get food poisoning, I'd rather have tasty food. :)

And I've never had food poisoning... (You still maybe right though. I've just never known anyone get sick from eating brown meat before it's cooked... or even raw).
    I've eaten raw steak before and it's nice but I can only eat a little bit of it raw cos then it gets a bit sickening... I like mine medium... SOME blood BUT all the meat BARELY cooked (I don't like it raw in a meal)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    what is spaghetti bolognaise??? never heard of bolognaise.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    That's what they say on Ready Steady Cook. (I'm not sure it applies to minced beef though)?

oh yes minced beef is different sorry :o thats best eaten when the fly larvae hatch
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932

Americans...

tsk tsk

(you are American, right? :D)
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options

Did I write that? Sorry if I did...
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:

but 'browning' sirloin will taste better than 'red' steak... and in Sainsbury's supermarket all steak is 21-day-assured i believe... so ergo it must be safe to eat as no supermarket will sell meat thats gone off... well they might by accident but not by company policy.

ths convo is making me hungry :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Americans...

tsk tsk

(you are American, right? :D)

Why yes I am thank you! :D

(slap!)

So what is bolognaise or do I have to settle for other wise ass comments? ;)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Did I write that? Sorry if I did...

I love to turn you on
  • Options

(slap!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/spaghettibolognese_2071.shtml
  • Options

(slap!)

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce#Spaghetti_alla_Bolognese

(lazy American! :D)
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options

(slap!)

Spaghetti with minced beef and tomato sauce :)

• Options
    Thanks all! Oh man that looks good. Although I don't know if I would go so far as to cook the bacon in the olive oil, but it looks good. Last time I made sauce/meatballs I used 1/4 bottle of wine. yum!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Collin wrote:

Anyway I'm confused.. I thought Americans were big on Italian food (no pun intended Dunk! :D)

• Options
    Thanks all! Oh man that looks good. Although I don't know if I would go so far as to cook the bacon in the olive oil, but it looks good. Last time I made sauce/meatballs I used 1/4 bottle of wine. yum!

It is very tasty. I had spaghetti and meatballs when I was in the States because this very friendly family was shocked that I'd never had it so they took us out to get some. It was nice but I still prefer bolognese, though.

They also wanted me to drink root beer, it was the worst (real) beverage I ever tasted.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    so you've never had spaghetti bolognaise? :eek: holy shit, you really SHOULD come over for dinner tonight :p

No bacon... none of that shite... no sausages either (some people put sausage in) just mince, mushrooms, onions and peppers... and then the sauce... ahhhh... the sauce :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Anyway I'm confused.. I thought Americans were big on Italian food (no pun intended Dunk! :D)

From what I've seen (I'm not American), Americans love Americanized Italian food. I guess every country changes recipes a little to its own taste, of course.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    It is very tasty. I had spaghetti and meatballs when I was in the States because this very friendly family was shocked that I'd never had it so they took us out to get some. It was nice but I still prefer bolognese, though.

They also wanted me to drink root beer, it was the worst (real) beverage I ever tasted.

I love root beer, it's one of the nicest drinks. Can't buy it round here anymore though.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    Collin wrote:

Root beer is an aquired taste...kids like it because they're not allowed real beer. Bolognese looks like an elaborate meat sauce. Love the wine bit. Looks like a lot of ingredients...and a lot of room for interpretation to mess around with different recipes.

(along with dunk in this thread...gayest post ever)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Root beer is an aquired taste...kids like it because they're not allowed real beer. Bolognese looks like an elaborate meat sauce. Love the wine bit. Looks like a lot of ingredients...and a lot of room for interpretation to mess around with different recipes.

(along with dunk in this thread...gayest post ever)

Well, to be fair the two American kids said the root beer they usually drink is a lot better than the one I had.

Mountain Dew now that's a great drink! Man, I loved it so much, can't get it here, though.
    And all those flavours of Gatorade... we have two or three.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Well, to be fair the two American kids said the root beer they usually drink is a lot better than the one I had.

Mountain Dew now that's a great drink! Man, I loved it so much, can't get it here, though.
    And all those flavours of Gatorade... we have two or three.

When all else fails, drink Guinness. :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    so you've never had spaghetti bolognaise? :eek: holy shit, you really SHOULD come over for dinner tonight :p

No bacon... none of that shite... no sausages either (some people put sausage in) just mince, mushrooms, onions and peppers... and then the sauce... ahhhh... the sauce :)

Kid I would be there in a heartbeat if you had some Paddy's lying around!!!

(btw - i'm all out of it!)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    When all else fails, drink Guinness. :D

I couldn't, because some idiot made it illegal for 18-year-olds to drink alcohol in the States!

I live in Belgium goddammit, I was born with a beer in my hand! :D

I liked Sam Adams, unfortunately most of the time I had to settle for bud or worse, pbr :D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I couldn't, because some idiot made it illegal for 18-year-olds to drink alcohol in the States!

I live in Belgium goddammit, I was born with a beer in my hand! :D

I liked Sam Adams, unfortunately most of the time I had to settle for bud or worse, pbr :D
    Blue moon :) I loved it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life