Options

My first 'dinner guests'

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So I ACCIDENTALLY invited the neighbours in for dinner on Saturday night :eek:

I was up early cos the gas people came to fix the heating (we have heat again wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo) and thinking about my neighbours cos they both had a bad cold so I thought I'll cook dinner tonight and drop some in for them. I called the wife and asked her what time would suit for dinner cos I'm gonna cook... and then I heard her say to the husband 'Helen's cooking tonight, do ya wanna go in?' :eek: and I thought fuck fuck fuck. So I spent the next THREE HOURS scrubbing the kitchen... ya know the kinda clean you only give it every few months... like washing the tiles and all the utensils and stuff :D

Anyway yeh it's not an exciting story (thought I'd be the first one to say that cos undoubtedly a few of you will butt in) but I just thought I should warn you all to be clear about your intentions, lol. I just cooked spaghetti bolognaise cos that's easy and it tasted great BUT I didn't do enough and it was like I was serving kids portions :o ... cos my housemate joined us too. It was fun though and I'm gonna do it again. After they'd left and I drank my 2nd bottle of wine, I texted my aunt inviting her for dinner on Sunday :D but she then talked me into going to hers... so I got cooked for yesterday, yayyyy!
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Nothin worse then getting into a situation u cant get out of. I got into a sticky one with my sisters boyfriends family (who i really dont like, they are weird) They wanted me to go paintballing. I said "oooh, i dont know ive got a pretty busy life these days, we will see" and i havent spoken to them about it ever since :D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    aww Hels :o This made me laugh :D Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Don't you just hate it when people assume things? :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i love Spag Bol.. not had it in years :(

i always have Penne Arriabiata instead

2 bottles of wine... thats the Hells i know :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    dunkman wrote:

i had spag bolo yesterday. I ha'nt had for months. I love that. I love all pasta...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    aww Hels :o This made me laugh :D Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Don't you just hate it when people assume things?
    :D Yep, it really coulda been much worse alright. Cos I ended up sitting them in the kitchen too... was thinking I should sit them at the big table but then I'd have to really really clean the sitting room too :D . It's clean but not 'guest' clean, god I'm starting to sound like my mother :D but yeh, they stayed about 5 hours so I'm presuming it went well.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

well I still have 1lb mince left over so I think I'm gonna cook it again tonight :) now that I'm being all... womanly... and stuff! Would it be ok from Saturday? I bought 2lb and it looked like WAY too much and 1lb looked lots... but ya know when ya cook it and it shrinks? I can never judge these things :D

Yep, I'd one bottle of wine when they were there and drank the 2nd one after they left. I ended up hammered on my own, lol. Can barely even remember getting to bed. Haven't done that in a LONG LONG time.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    i had spag bolo yesterday. I ha'nt had for months. I love that. I love all pasta...
    Me too... I could totally just live on Italian food, it's the best. Hmm... if quesidillas and enchilladas were Italian that would be all my favourite foods in one simple group :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    well I still have 1lb mince left over so I think I'm gonna cook it again tonight :) now that I'm being all... womanly... and stuff! Would it be ok from Saturday? I bought 2lb and it looked like WAY too much and 1lb looked lots... but ya know when ya cook it and it shrinks? I can never judge these things :D

Yep, I'd one bottle of wine when they were there and drank the 2nd one after they left. I ended up hammered on my own, lol. Can barely even remember getting to bed. Haven't done that in a LONG LONG time.

beef keeps for ages.. in fact it gets tastier the older it is. white meats dont though.. they go off .. thats the gayest thing i've ever typed on here :o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    dunkman wrote:
    beef keeps for ages.. in fact it gets tastier the older it is. white meats dont though.. they go off .. thats the gayest thing i've ever typed on here :o
    You told us all about the size of your penis the other day Dunk...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    :o that is indeed SERIOUSLY gay :D but thanks for the tip. Spag Bol for dinner all week then so :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You told us all about the size of your penis the other day Dunk...

but that was me boasting (albeit non-truthfully).. i fail to see the gayness of doing that.

now i have my flower arranging classes to organise...

p.s. that shirt doesnt do you any favours today bigboy
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

It's not difficult to make y'know. Fry up some courgettes with it if you like them and serve them seperately. :)
  • Options
    It's not difficult to make y'know.
    it's really really simple... that's why I make it :D but I make it goooooooooooood... and I make a good lasagne too (well that's cos it's just bol baked with some pasta and sauce lol).

I'm gonna take up cooking I reckon... cos my sister has lotsa recipe books and we did lotsa cooking/baking over christmas. I made deep fried brie with sweet and sour sauce from scratch and it was one of the yummiest things I EVER tasted :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    exciting weekend, then?!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    it's really really simple... that's why I make it :D but I make it goooooooooooood... and I make a good lasagne too (well that's cos it's just bol baked with some pasta and sauce lol).

Rick Stein is good at doing recipes. I find his easier to follow because he doesn't miss out on big chunks of information, you know?

I'm not a particularly good cook because growing up on fish fingers and mash, I never had much chance to learn what most things are supposed to taste like. :D (That sounded far more self pitying than I meant it).
  • Options
    Rick Stein is good at doing recipes. I find his easier to follow because he doesn't miss out on big chunks of information, you know?

I'm not a particularly good cook because growing up on fish fingers and mash, I never had much chance to learn what most things are supposed to taste like. :D (That sounded far more self pitying than I meant it).

Rick Stein is awesome. Buying him a pint is one of my 1001 things to do before I die.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Rick Stein is awesome. Buying him a pint is one of my 1001 things to do before I die.

Same here. He's lovely. I love it when he goes off on one of his rants... about people not buying certain types of fish, etc.

He made a beer with fennel in it dedicated to his dead dag (chalky)? Really nice!
  • Options
    Same here. He's lovely. I love it when he goes off on one of his rants... about people not buying certain types of fish, etc.

He made a beer with fennel in it dedicated to his dead dag (chalky)? Really nice!

Yep, Chalky! Poor fella. Beer with fennel? I don't really like fennel but sounds like an interesting concept.

LOL yeah I like his rants.. He kind of gets a bit carried away and trails it off with 'Um.. yeah.. sorry, I just get passionate.'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    exciting weekend, then?!
    :D Hahaha... nope but very busy in a kinda nice but non exciting way. Friday night I'd to show a couple of people around the house (we've a spare room) then Saturday wait for the gas people, clean, cook and entertain... then sunday I went to my aunts and let HER do all that :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Yep, Chalky! Poor fella. Beer with fennel? I don't really like fennel but sounds like an interesting concept.

LOL yeah I like his rants.. He kind of gets a bit carried away and trails it off with 'Um.. yeah.. sorry, I just get passionate.'

yeah. :D

I'm not a huge fan of fennell but I was surprised that it was really nice. I think the beer's called 'chalky' but I'm not sure. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yeah. :D

I'm not a huge fan of fennell but I was surprised that it was really nice. I think the beer's called 'chalky' but I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

So it's on general release? I can get it?

• Options

never heard of him :o

my sister has a couple of Neven Maguire books... He's a fairly local chef who had a couple of spots on tv, does ads and won lotsa awards. We've always gone to their family restaurant for special occasions and the food's amazing. His recipe's are all easy to make and the ingredients are all easy to source.

http://www.ivenus.com/food/features/MO-feature-Neven_Cooks-wk135.asp
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    never heard of him :o

my sister has a couple of Neven Maguire books... He's a fairly local chef who had a couple of spots on tv, does ads and won lotsa awards. We've always gone to their family restaurant for special occasions and the food's amazing. His recipe's are all easy to make and the ingredients are all easy to source.

http://www.ivenus.com/food/features/MO-feature-Neven_Cooks-wk135.asp

I don't know Neven Maguire so don't worry.

Rick Stein mainly deals with seafood.
    (harmless) I'm not sure if he makes it anymore. I think he only did it for a little while. I'll ask later.

(Helen, tell me too shut up if I'm ruining your thread. Don't ACTUALLY say shut up though, or I'll cry). ;)

Edit-That makes me feel hungry, looking at that.
  • Options
    I don't know Neven Maguire so don't worry.

Rick Stein mainly deals with seafood.
    (harmless) I'm not sure if he makes it anymore. I think he only did it for a little while. I'll ask later.

(Helen, tell me too shut up if I'm ruining your thread. Don't ACTUALLY say shut up though, or I'll cry). ;)

Edit-That makes me feel hungry, looking at that.
    Ahhh... me no likey seafood :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Ahhh... me no likey seafood :(

Actually, I'm pretty picky about seafood too but he does do other food as well and he obviously cooks a lot of fish which I do like.

I made a good Moussaka (sp)? From one of his recipes, simply becaue he made it easy to follow for a moron like me. ;) Anyway...
  • Options
    Actually, I'm pretty picky about seafood too but he does do other food as well and he obviously cooks a lot of fish which I do like.

I made a good Moussaka (sp)? From one of his recipes, simply becaue he made it easy to follow for a moron like me. ;) Anyway...
    :D it really makes a huge difference when the ingredients are stuff you've actually heard of and more than likely already HAVE :)

I WANT to like seafood but it makes me gag... I just can't eat it, dunno why.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :D it really makes a huge difference when the ingredients are stuff you've actually heard of and more than likely already HAVE :)

I WANT to like seafood but it makes me gag... I just can't eat it, dunno why.

maybe because it tastes like eating rubber but just tastes of salt. :D I know what you mean. I find it hard to chew. It's like my throat closes up.
  • Options
    maybe because it tastes like eating rubber but just tastes of salt. :D I know what you mean. I find it hard to chew. It's like my throat closes up.

Come on you girls MUSTN'T have had decent seafood... no other explanation for it. Seafood shouldn't be any chewier than the 'nice fish' you said you like..

Seafood makes the world go round..

Actually the sea makes the fish go round but hey..

• Options
    I dunno hlf... it's like she said... like my throat closes up... and I've never had any mental block towards it, it looks fun and interesting and I WANT to like it. Prawn cocktail are even my favourite crisps :) but I guess it's like uptting a really thick pink worm in my mouth :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    ooooohh... just saw that restaurant got the Irish restaurant of the year this year :)

http://www.ireland-guide.com/award/restaurant_of_the_year_2007.1526.html

it really really is soooooooooo fab.

http://www.bestofbridgestone.com/listman/listings/l0223.html
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life