Options

Bad night to be single...

13»

Comments

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    what expense? married people split one rent/mortage, utilities, car, etc between 2 incomes AND they get tax breaks over single people. plus people shower them with a shit load of presents and money (usually twice) when they get married in the first place.

A lot of married people have a family and get by with just one of them working full time, it's hardly wine and roses 24/7.
    And as the saying goes..a penny bun costs tuppence when you're married. Shake up you lot, stop maudling. Before you know it you'll be married like the rest of us...then you'll have an excuse to be miserable.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Sorry, bad joke from 'everybody loves Raymond'....'Al, Al, the ladies pal...
    AL .E. money.
    Sorry buddy.
    Hows the 'bow tonight/this morning.

Last night I was on red wine mate..

This morning? I'm still fucking up, and so will the birds be soon. :rolleyes: I decided to go for a stroll down memory photo lane when I was pissed last night..... BAAAAAAAD IDEA! DON'T DO IT! NOOOOOOOOO....
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    A lot of married people have a family and get by with just one of them working full time, it's hardly wine and roses 24/7.
    And as the saying goes..a penny bun costs tuppence when you're married. Shake up you lot, stop maudling. Before you know it you'll be married like the rest of us...then you'll have an excuse to be miserable.

I'm not talking unusual situations where one person choses not to work. If you take too people the same in every way except one is single and one is married, the single person will be worse of financially. it is a fact. I'm just saying that "being single is like being married without the expense" is a totally incorrect statement. I pay $3000 more in federal income tax per year than a married couple with the same income. The married couple who lives upstairs in my house has the same rent as I do, but they split it between two people (not to mention all the other bills).
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    If you take too people the same in every way except one is single and one is married, the single person will be worse of financially.

Probably. But when are they in the same situation? A married couple is more likely to have children, or be trying for children. Expensive. If they do have kids, chances are they are putting money away for their future. Expensive. They probably have to think of their OWN future and make their own savings, as there really isn't a lot in the way of pensions going on here. Expensive. They are more likely to have a mortgage on their own house. Expensive (especially right now, in the UK). Point i'm making is...most people who are married are NOT in the same situation as most single people, so what you're saying can't really be applied. Unless one of them has a very highly paid job...they really aren't going to have a lot of disposable income.

If they DO have money, it's most likely a result of borrowing. Against their house, against their car, or some other asset they may have. If that's the case, they're gonna have to use that money wisely, as it's gotta be paid back and then some.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Probably. But when are they in the same situation? A married couple is more likely to have children, or be trying for children. Expensive. If they do have kids, chances are they are putting money away for their future. Expensive. They probably have to think of their OWN future and make their own savings, as there really isn't a lot in the way of pensions going on here. Expensive. They are more likely to have a mortgage on their own house. Expensive (especially right now, in the UK). Point i'm making is...most people who are married are NOT in the same situation as most single people, so what you're saying can't really be applied. Unless one of them has a very highly paid job...they really aren't going to have a lot of disposable income.

If they DO have money, it's most likely a result of borrowing. Against their house, against their car, or some other asset they may have. If that's the case, they're gonna have to use that money wisely, as it's gotta be paid back and then some.

1) having children is a choice (almost like a purchase) that BOTH single people and married people can make. So it still holds: a single person with a child is worse off than a married couple with a child.

2) "they are more likely to have a mortgage on their own house" is a totally false statement. Currently the largest group of people buying homes in america is single adults. that is a fact, you can look it up. besides a) if a single person owns the same home as a married couple, the married couple is better off and b) it doesn't matter if you rent or own. The rent on my place is WAAAY higher than the mortgage payments on my parents' house. c) just like not all singles rent, not all marrieds own. As I said, there is a couple upstairs from me- they are the same age as I am and have similar jobs.

3) just because people are married doesn't mean they have to spend more - buy a bigger house, buy an extra car, (or even have children) ect. If they do, that is their own choice. But the fact still remains: if a single person makes the same purchase decisions, it will be more expensive for him. And there is no reason why single people shouldn't want the same things in life as a married person. If you think so, that is the definition of discrimination.

4) single people aren't in just as much debt as married people? as I said, we have the same mortgages, same car payments, same student loans.

*5* MOST IMPORTANTLY the statement you make that married people and single people are not in the same situations is a total falsehood and nothing but a stereotype. It is a STEREOTYPE that single people do not own or rent their own homes. It is a STEREOTYPE that single people do not have other family members to care for (if not children, people have to care for aging parents, disabled family members, whatever. this is a fact of life that does not discriminate between whether there are two people to care for them or just one).

The idea that single people and married people are not in the same situation or are somehow different otherwise is a prejudice. It is the same as saying a black person and a white person are somehow different. the fact is that marriage is subsidized in this country.
  • Options
    1) having children is a choice (almost like a purchase) that BOTH single people and married people can make. So it still holds: a single person with a child is worse off than a married couple with a child.

2) "they are more likely to have a mortgage on their own house" is a totally false statement. Currently the largest group of people buying homes in america is single adults. that is a fact, you can look it up. besides a) if a single person owns the same home as a married couple, the married couple is better off and b) it doesn't matter if you rent or own. The rent on my place is WAAAY higher than the mortgage payments on my parents' house. c) just like not all singles rent, not all marrieds own. As I said, there is a couple upstairs from me- they are the same age as I am and have similar jobs.

3) just because people are married doesn't mean they have to spend more - buy a bigger house, buy an extra car, (or even have children) ect. If they do, that is their own choice. But the fact still remains: if a single person makes the same purchase decisions, it will be more expensive for him. And there is no reason why single people shouldn't want the same things in life as a married person. If you think so, that is the definition of discrimination.

4) single people aren't in just as much debt as married people? as I said, we have the same mortgages, same car payments, same student loans.

*5* MOST IMPORTANTLY the statement you make that married people and single people are not in the same situations is a total falsehood and nothing but a stereotype. It is a STEREOTYPE that single people do not own or rent their own homes. It is a STEREOTYPE that single people do not have other family members to care for (if not children, people have to care for aging parents, disabled family members, whatever. this is a fact of life that does not discriminate between whether there are two people to care for them or just one).

The idea that single people and married people are not in the same situation or are somehow different otherwise is a prejudice. It is the same as saying a black person and a white person are somehow different.
    Yeah, I might have to get married if my rent goes up any more.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    cutback wrote:
    yep.....why do couples always want everybody else to be a couple too? to share in their misery? ;):D

I think so. I also think too many people think that to be "picked" by someone is better than to not be picked at all. which is really screwed up.........

I am alone but not lonely but I have my four kids who are awesomely getting older, (by which I mean that as they get older and come into themselves more, I find them so funny and cool to be around. I always loved to be with them and I mourned their babyhood, childhood, and then what I thought was my ending of my parenthood with them before I realized that they are always going to be my children). back to the point though..........

I think in general some people can be condescending and think that they are the ones that are lucky when others are alone but truthfully, I know more miserable than happy people who are hooked up with someone. But the image, advertisement, illusion is that being with someone is the most wonderful thing. And I think it can be but I also know how much more lonely it is to be with someone, feel trapped because you know that the relationship they have with you is not really satisfying.

I think all the single people would be better to hold onto your heart for the real "love of your life" and if life gets too lonely then for now, find people you like to be around that don't make you feel like you are a loser for beng alone.

and I agree...most are lame.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I'm not talking unusual situations where one person choses not to work. If you take too people the same in every way except one is single and one is married, the single person will be worse of financially. it is a fact. I'm just saying that "being single is like being married without the expense" is a totally incorrect statement. I pay $3000 more in federal income tax per year than a married couple with the same income. The married couple who lives upstairs in my house has the same rent as I do, but they split it between two people (not to mention all the other bills).

Well their rent is shared...but so is their house. Get a lodger, they'll pay half your rent...but they'll also live in half your house.
    I'm not certain of your tax situation there, and I'm not really interested in getting into a petty squabble over a flipant comment I made. Take care.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I made the best of being SINGLE on New Years Eve. Wow.........
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    PJPixie wrote:

Yep, me too! ;)

Great time last night!!!
    :D
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:

so we hear...........(lol)

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    writersu wrote:
    so we hear...........(lol)

:D:D:D:D:D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    I think so. I also think too many people think that to be "picked" by someone is better than to not be picked at all. which is really screwed up.........

I am alone but not lonely but I have my four kids who are awesomely getting older, (by which I mean that as they get older and come into themselves more, I find them so funny and cool to be around. I always loved to be with them and I mourned their babyhood, childhood, and then what I thought was my ending of my parenthood with them before I realized that they are always going to be my children). back to the point though..........

I think in general some people can be condescending and think that they are the ones that are lucky when others are alone but truthfully, I know more miserable than happy people who are hooked up with someone. But the image, advertisement, illusion is that being with someone is the most wonderful thing. And I think it can be but I also know how much more lonely it is to be with someone, feel trapped because you know that the relationship they have with you is not really satisfying.

I think all the single people would be better to hold onto your heart for the real "love of your life" and if life gets too lonely then for now, find people you like to be around that don't make you feel like you are a loser for beng alone.

and I agree...most are lame.

this is very well said. there is a certain illusion/image that goes with being in a couple...I see people who seem to have things worse than I do, but because they are paired (by whatever arbitrary criteria they used to pair themselves), they feel a sense of superiority.
  • Options
    I agree with what you say except having been married before I can tell you that it is worse to be married as far as taxes go. You can get less taken away from you per paycheck, but at the end of the year? Trust me it's better being single. That's why it's called the Marraige tax or Marraige penalty.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    I agree with what you say except having been married before I can tell you that it is worse to be married as far as taxes go. You can get less taken away from you per paycheck, but at the end of the year? Trust me it's better being single. That's why it's called the Marraige tax or Marraige penalty.

This is actually a common misconception. It is a tax penalty to be married over cohabitation, not a penalty over being single. Single-single people ALWAYS pay more.
  • Options
    This is actually a common misconception. It is a tax penalty to be married over cohabitation, not a penalty over being single. Single-single people ALWAYS pay more.
    All I know is that cohabitating and Marraige do not equal perfectly shared finances. Plus I had to pay several thousands of dollars in taes for my wife that she did not pay several times. Not exactly a risk for a single person.

The fact remains though that a single person does not pay more taxes vs. a married person. My deduction was smaller than if i had been single. I paid more taxes. I do agree that I had another income that put me at a huge advantage over a single person in other areas, but that was not what I was talking about as i had already agreed with most everything else you had said.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    All I know is that cohabitating and Marraige do not equal perfectly shared finances. Plus I had to pay several thousands of dollars in taes for my wife that she did not pay several times. Not exactly a risk for a single person.

The fact remains though that a single person does not pay more taxes vs. a married person. My deduction was smaller than if i had been single. I paid more taxes. I do agree that I had another income that put me at a huge advantage over a single person in other areas, but that was not what I was talking about as i had already agreed with most everything else you had said.

It's not on an individual level, it's combined income vs. single income. Just a couple of weeks ago I read a book that had a whole table of comparison. Because people can file jointly when married in the US (which is uncommon in developed countries) it works like this. A couple who jointly makes $75K/year pays $3000 less in taxes than a single person who makes $75K/year. And as you increase the income level, the difference gets larger. If the two married people filed separately, it would be the same.
  • Options
    Yes, but that's a single person's view of it. I only make 35,000 of that 75,000 and I have to pay MORE than a single person. Then my soon to be ex wife forgets as usual to up her taxes and whammy. I pay more than a single person AND 2,500.00 of her taxes.
  • Options
    RVMH8RRVMH8R Posts: 2

Seems mostly irrelevant to the point. Besides, when you're married the whole point is that you combine your finances, you can't lump everything together and get your tax break then try to unsort it to what you owe and what she owes. What's the point of that. Perfectly shared finances does not mean that you split everything evenly to most people.
  • Options
    RVMH8RRVMH8R Posts: 2
    Yes, but that's a single person's view of it. I only make 35,000 of that 75,000 and I have to pay MORE than a single person. Then my soon to be ex wife forgets as usual to up her taxes and whammy. I pay more than a single person AND 2,500.00 of her taxes.

Well, as I said, it shouldn't matter when you're married as it's all YOUR money (jointly). However, if you didn't understand that when you were married, it's probably one reason you are getting divorced.
  • Options
    RVMH8R wrote:
    Well, as I said, it shouldn't matter when you're married as it's all YOUR money (jointly). However, if you didn't understand that when you were married, it's probably one reason you are getting divorced.

hate to bud in.........but wow........

touche.............(that's why I am seperated,so I know this to be true......and btw............)

If you hired someone to do your soon to be exes job in which by I mean the household chores, and if you want to be crude we can include the sexual favors (if there were any; which also may be why you are getting divorced but that would be another subject I suppose) you would be paying a lot of money for all of it.........

marriage is an institution if you like those kinds of places.........(me quoting someone else I am sure.............)

• Options
    RVMH8R wrote:

that's what i'm saying, if you file jointly then it's like having one income of $75,000. $75,000 is $75,000, whether one person makes it or two people make it and chose to lump it together. So the same amount of money is taxed less on a married couple than on a single person. If you get married and file your taxes together then you are assuming "one" income. But the married "one income" is favored by the government over the single one income. it's a subsidy that is not a remedy for anything and is therefore creating it's own market failure rather than trying to correct one.

think of it this way: only one person in the married couple makes the income. should be taxed the same as a single person's income, but it's not, just because the person is married. that makes no sense at all. it's complete discrimination.