Options

Bad night to be single...

Comments

• Options
    People were pretty flipping friendly to me in Florida, and I'd never met them before.

oh well, here in boston, people are about as chilly as the weather.
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    cutback wrote:
    yep.....why do couples always want everybody else to be a couple too? to share in their misery? ;):D

howl!!!! Generally speaking, there can be such a stigma with being single...like there must be something wrong with you because you're single. So attached people always trying to set you up so you'll be "happy". Being single is great. Do I enjoy being with someone? sure....but I prefer single.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    howl!!!! Generally speaking, there can be such a stigma with being single...like there must be something wrong with you because you're single. So attached people always trying to set you up so you'll be "happy". Being single is great. Do I enjoy being with someone? sure....but I prefer single.

the stigma goes further and deeper than it even appears...I read this book called "Singled Out" about how singles are stereotyped and discriminated against in the U.S. It was kinda shocking...I think a lot about this kind of stuff, but this woman, a sociologist at UCSB (I think) really just highlights everything. it's amazing.
  • Options
    Deep_DK wrote:
    Hey, I'm single and sick...can anybody beat that??

It sucks being stucked at home when you know everyone is out having a great time.

ok, ok...you have me there. It sucks being sick while single. It's kind of pathetic actually....buried under the covers with a basket next to you, overflowing with a souffle of tissues and no one around to whine to about how shitty you feel. The only thing that makes it better for me is my dogs. They snuggle close when I'm sick....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

• Options
    oh well, here in boston, people are about as chilly as the weather.

damn, where have you been hanging out??? While I agree we can be in a rush most of the time that we don't take much time to help out but I think we can be a friendly lot.

• Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    damn, where have you been hanging out??? While I agree we can be in a rush most of the time that we don't take much time to help out but I think we can be a friendly lot.
    we're all massholes!!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    what are you talking about New Year's is the best night to be single of the whole year.

Drunk girls and plenty of free kisses. I can't tell you how many smooches i got from playing the "sad sack without a date" card last year!
  • Options
    we're all massholes!!

a label I wear proudly, I might add. :D
    But I love meeting new people in town, especially if they're not from around here.

• Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    But I love meeting new people in town, especially if they're not from around here.
    me too, and then we drown them in baseball, accents, and beeping at a car going 70 mph. :p
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:

eh, I've lived here for 24 of my 30 years, and I think people only really talk to strangers 1) if the red sox are in the world series and 2) it's st. partick's day (and even those people are usually from ireland). I've never even made friends at things where the purpose is to make friends...I feel people just kinda stick to their own clicks. I mean I don't think people here are mean at all, I think people are willing to help out and stuff. But even like if I say hi to my neighbors on my street they look at me like I'm crazy.

Also I feel like even if people are friendly and talk to strangers, you don't actually end up "making friends" with them. In all the time I've lived here I've never made a new friend. All my friends are from high school, college, or grad school.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Whizbang wrote:

amazing! i never thought there were people like me......and pearl jam fans :D:D:D

happy news years to all the singles out there!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Deep_DKDeep_DK Posts: 151
    Whizbang wrote:
    ok, ok...you have me there. It sucks being sick while single. It's kind of pathetic actually....buried under the covers with a basket next to you, overflowing with a souffle of tissues and no one around to whine to about how shitty you feel. The only thing that makes it better for me is my dogs. They snuggle close when I'm sick....

I don't even have dogs! But I remember when I was sick as a child my cute little dachshund would always snuggle up to me too.

Ok...I'll stop whining here...I'll call my mother.
    It's not a crime to free your mind.
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    amen
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    amen

sure, the people who aren't from here are the ones who will talk to you :)
  • Options
    me too, and then we drown them in baseball, accents, and beeping at a car going 70 mph. :p

loves it...
    of course, I wouldn't have it any other way..... :D

• Options

double post....sorry

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's just another day on a calendar that is based off off how long it takes the Earth to move around our sun. It's really a meaningless number. Just another excuse to throw a party.
  • Options
    1st day off the couch... had the flu for x-mas....
    would you be my e-date tonight?
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Do you guys reckon it's a good night for insomnia and NIN?

*nod* yep, me too..
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    well Christmas for me was spent (workin) in Alaska drivin a truck towards home.
    i got home the 28th i do believe.
    tonight being New Years Eve and all, I still am not gonna drink or get doped up.
    yeah i am a sober son of a gun which means bar scenes drive me nuts.
    i can't smoke dope these days, i don't wanna anyways.
    i too am single, so where do i go where people are sober?
    simple answer, i go to my buddies place.
    him, his wife, their 5 year old son, & myself will watch movies.

boy oh boy i remember back in the day of partying my ass off.
    maybe that is why i am sober today.
    still blows chunks being single on any holiday.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    New Years sucks being single and having your closest friends either at work or in a different city...

A night alone with some red wine and a dvd methinks...

Still, here's to 2008...

Happy 2008.......

don't be bummed to be single; there are many people who are not single and who are miserable.

The longer you wait you may find that there is someone worth the wait.
    or someone who makes you wish you were still single.

Happy New Year to you........have a great night whatever you do. Some of my best nights were spent alone reflecting on what my current hopes, mistakes, dreams etc. were.

and then others were spent not remembering much of what I was reflecting on. But either way, it all grows you........you know???
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    no worse than any other night. besides at least i have an excuse for cracking open a bottle of sparkling wine and passing out by 12:15 am
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    writersu wrote:

Happy New Year to you........have a great night whatever you do. Some of my best nights were spent alone reflecting on what my current hopes, mistakes, dreams etc. were.

Happy 2008 to you too :)

my housemate got in from work early at 11pm (gmt), so me and her saw the New Year in just watching the TV :)
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    I just played guitar hero for 2.5 hours. that was awesome.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Come on, snap out of it. Being single is just like being married, but without the expense.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Come on, snap out of it. Being single is just like being married, but without the expense.

Oh I dunno, I've spent a whole load of money since my divorce.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    Oh I dunno, I've spent a whole load of money since my divorce.

Al, Al, the ladies pal?
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Al, Al, the ladies pal?

Huh?

LOL

• Options
    Huh?

LOL
    Sorry, bad joke from 'everybody loves Raymond'....'Al, Al, the ladies pal...
    AL .E. money.
    Sorry buddy.
    Hows the 'bow tonight/this morning.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

what expense? married people split one rent/mortage, utilities, car, etc between 2 incomes AND they get tax breaks over single people. plus people shower them with a shit load of presents and money (usually twice) when they get married in the first place.