"Comedy" shows that are praised all the time, which you just don't find funny

Comments

• Curb is hilarious.

the Simpsons has been running on fumes for almost a decade. For years it was still better than most shows, but I can't say I even enjoy it anymore. I'm bored with it more than entertained now.

king of the hill has grown on me a little. the son and the grandad are hilarious. but its way too accurate. Everyone on that show has a twin living in my town, and that scares me. Its really a turn off. I'd like to see Judge move on to something else, though.
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    Might as well add me to the anti-"Raymond" and anti-"Queens" camps.

I watch "The Cosby Show" now and it's not nearly as deliriously funny as it was when I'd race home to watch it as a kid. Of course, I'm not 10 years old anymore (and it makes me sad sometimes).

I've never really gotten "Monty Python" but I've never really watched it. I'm willing to give it another shot.

"Seinfeld" was awesome. "The Simpsons" has stumbled, but it's been a helluva run.

Neither Leno nor Letterman makes me laugh too much. Their monologues are brutal, with Leno's bordering on mean-spirited without the humor.

And just to pile on, "Saturday Night Live." But I still watch it if I'm around a TV.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    -King of Queens (one of the worst SHOWS ive ever seen)
    -Cavemen (TV show based on a comercial - nuff said)
    -The Office (sorry, I just think anything Steve Carell is just awful - he aint funny)
    -House of Payne (so stupid...so stupid)
    -Frank TV (was siked about its premiere, and wanted to claw my eyes out after watching it - watched the first 10 mins, and changed the channel)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Suppose only people from the UK will know this but programmes like "Little Britain" and "Catherine Tate." The same catchphrases over and over and old women swearing isn't funny. It's a shame because David Walliams, Matt Lucas, Catherine Tate etc all seem to be really talented actors - they're just wasted on scripts that a 12 year old could write.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Blackadder Goes Forth.

There, I said it. Bloody po-faced, Reithian, supercilious "comedy" written on the back of Bleasdale's "The Monocled Mutineer" and attempting in its own haughty, posh school view, to enlighten the "stupid masses" about the folly of war via a BBC historical sitcom. With its smattering of knowledge of first world war poetry, probably some Roger McGough and an evident self delusion of being a masterwork of socio-political import, it patronises at best, and bores rigid at worst. And I speak as an anti-war leftie. It's bollocks.

PS And it's got Tony Robinson in it.

Would you stop waving your todger, please?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    audiodave wrote:
    No Jamie...The Mighty Boosh is complete and utter shit. I don't understand how people can watch it. Mostly I think it's girls who fancy Noel Fielding, who I find to be very irritating, and if I ever met him I would kick him in the balls.

Fair enough Dave, maybe it's not just cos I'm too old that I find it crappy. Thanks for enlightning me.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    jamie uk wrote:
    Fair enough Dave, maybe it's not just cos I'm too old that I find it crappy. Thanks for enlightning me.
    Nah it isn't that buddy. It's the fact that you aren't a complete and utter moron.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The Mighty Boosh - IT'S SHIT!!!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    The Mighty Boosh - IT'S SHIT!!!
    I am truly sorry that this piece of trash program has somehow made it's way out of the UK to befoul your eyes.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Remember the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray did something stupid, his wife called him an idiot and told him there'd be no sex, then the parents come over and "hilarity ensunes"?

Every episode of that inane program was exactly the same!!!!

Frasier was almost as bad, but it had a few laughs here and there. There were actually TWO Fraiser episodes...

1. Frasier wants to use his "psychological expertise" to butt in on someone's problems. The dad says "Stay out of it." Frasier intervenes and screws everything up. Frasier says "You know dad, you were right. How can I interfere with people when I can't even get my own life straght?"

2. The other episode that Frasier rehashed 100 times was the tried and true "mistaken identity" sitcom plotline. Niles loves Daphne and says something vague. She takes that as Frasier likes her. She tells Roz, but is vague and leads her to believe that Niles actually likes Roz. and so forth....

In defense of the shows I like that were listed here, I have to say I like the Office and South Park, and I thought Friends was good.

Also. I love the people who say "TV is dumb. read a book." You know, I have the capacity to do both.

And actually. I though the Scarlett Letter was pretty good
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I like The Mighty Boosh but I think the newer episodes are pretty much shite. They've become caught up in their own hype. Howard is a great character. I object to the idea that I'm a "moron" for enjoying something when other's don't.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • roar wrote:
    i can't get into curb your enthusiasm. it's about as funny as jay leno.

Curb is brilliant, but it's not for everyone. Not unlike Frank Zappa
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Remember the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray did something stupid, his wife called him an idiot and told him there'd be no sex, then the parents come over and "hilarity ensunes"?
    Every episode of that inane program was exactly the same!!!!

I totally agree 100%. Plus, I hate that the wife is SO MEAN TO HIM!! I never want to talk to my husband like that...especially not call him an idiot on a daily basis. What a bitch!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    My Name is Earl
    Friends

I used to hate 30 rock, but recently got into it...
  • i was always waiting for Raymond to snap and kill everybody in his family. I would have. they sucked.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    MrSmith wrote:
    i was always waiting for Raymond to snap and kill everybody in his family. I would have. they sucked.

Frank was the whole show.

3rd Rock From the Sun

Reno 911

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I'm with those who don't see the Little Britain/Catherine Tate thing.

However I do find some of The Mighty Boosh funny (especially Howard)...so shoot me ;):p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    South Park
    King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond

i really don't watch TV.

We have problems.... JK

But people don't take South Park seriously enough. I know that sounds like a bad joke but really, every episode is political/social satire and the writers are really trying to make a point.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • The Catherine Tate Show

Mighty Boosh

Bo Selecta

Everybody Loves Raymond

Will and Grace - I hate that this was so popular...just because one of the characters was the stereotypical homosexual that everyone seems to love, is that why it was popular??

Ugly Betty - I don't understand its appeal at all.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    The Catherine Tate Show

Mighty Boosh

Bo Selecta

Everybody Loves Raymond

Will and Grace - I hate that this was so popular...just because one of the characters was the stereotypical homosexual that everyone seems to love, is that why it was popular??

Ugly Betty - I don't understand its appeal at all.

Will and Grace...forgot about that one.

it was bad.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I like The Mighty Boosh but I think the newer episodes are pretty much shite. They've become caught up in their own hype. Howard is a great character. I object to the idea that I'm a "moron" for enjoying something when other's don't.
    Twas but a joke. Didn't mean to offend. Think it's the kinda show you either love or hate. I hate it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    audiodave wrote:
    Twas but a joke. Didn't mean to offend. Think it's the kinda show you either love or hate. I hate it.
    I wasn't offended :) I don't love it any more and I totally get why people do hate it. I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't get Curb Your Enthusiasm at all.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't get Curb Your Enthusiasm at all.
    :eek:
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    My Name is Earl
    Friends

Two of my favorites. Especially Friends...I have all 10 seasons on dvd. :eek:

Two of my favorites. Especially Friends...I have all 10 seasons on dvd. :eek:

I guess we don't live identical lives...

just mostly identical, tell me you love The Office though...
    I guess we don't live identical lives...

just mostly identical, tell me you love The Office though...

OF COURSE!! And, no we don't have identical lives...you get to go home to a hot man in your bed every night.

Note the Dwight reference in my signature.

OF COURSE!! And, no we don't have identical lives...you get to go home to a hot man in your bed every night.

Note the Dwight reference in my signature.

haha that should have tipped me off!

Then all is well.. My life is slightly empty due to the writer strike and losing The Office ::tear::

Oh sweet office, come back to me!
    haha that should have tipped me off!

Then all is well.. My life is slightly empty due to the writer strike and losing The Office ::tear::

Oh sweet office, come back to me!

Well, do you watch Lost?? That should help with the emptiness in your life. I know it helped mine.

Well, do you watch Lost?? That should help with the emptiness in your life. I know it helped mine.

You know, I've never seen it...

I do watch "Real Housewives of OC" like there is no tomorrow..

okay, someone shoot me now !
    You know, I've never seen it...

I do watch "Real Housewives of OC" like there is no tomorrow..

okay, someone shoot me now !

OH.MY.GOD.