"Comedy" shows that are praised all the time, which you just don't find funny

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Here's my contenders:

1) Only Fools and Horses: Saccharin, patronising tosh sentimentalising the lives, aspirations and relationships of your cor-blimey-loveable-rogues. It stole many elements from televisual masterpieces such as Steptoe and Son, Budgie, and Minder and offered nothing remotely as provocative or impressive. Lubbly Jubberrrrrly? Give me a fucking break.

2) Anything with Dawn French and/or Jennifer Saunders in it. Shouting unfunny lines while gesticulating very quickly does not make them any more funny.

3) Last of The Summer Wine. Oh, look. Compo's stuck on top of a hill in a bathtub with wheels attached, and it's started rolling down very fast towards a field. Again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Friends
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    South Park
    King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond

i really don't watch TV.
    Nice shirt.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Simpsons
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Last of the Summer Wine for me also...

i dislike Frank Spencer, Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army... anything like that.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    everyone loves raymond.

hate it hate it hate it
  • The Office
    &
    The Family Guy
    "It's all happening"
  • dunkman wrote:
    Last of the Summer Wine for me also...

i dislike Frank Spencer, Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army... anything like that.

I think the BBC killed Fawlty Towers by rerunning it so much. As for the other two, they were always dreadful.
    i cant think of the genre at the minute Fins... Joe Orton genre :(

whats the frickin word!!! Fawlty Towers is 'this word' and i've never liked that genre... i find it uncomfortable and i actually shout at the TV... stuff like "marzipan is made from almonds?... fucking hell, who came up with that"
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

whats the frickin word!!! Fawlty Towers is 'this word' and i've never liked that genre... i find it uncomfortable and i actually shout at the TV... stuff like "marzipan is made from almonds?... fucking hell, who came up with that"

I remember when I was younger and I couldn't bare to watch Keenan and Kel cus it was so embarrassing, the scraps they'd get into.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • dunkman wrote:

Farce?
  • I nearly said something very politically incorrect for "Joe Orton genre." :D
  • South Park

In 10 years people will be watching re-runs of that thinking "I remember this being a LOT funnier..."
  • Scrubs
    Friends
    My name is earl
    30 Rock
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Monte Python Flying Circus I do not laugh at, I can not.
    I can not bear such ridiculous madness to be tossed upon me
    like that program.

I'd rather some medieval axe-man take my manhood
    and place it in a glowing red hot iron vice for a few years or something,
    while he pours molten steel into my eyes and ears. ;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Saturnal wrote:
    South Park

In 10 years people will be watching re-runs of that thinking "I remember this being a LOT funnier..."

South Park is funny when they are new because it pokes fun at current events. Watching reruns now aren't even as funny.
    "It's all happening"
    Farce?

thats the one. :o

movies like 'Clockwise' and all this racing against time and the vicar is coming round andi've got my trousers down trying to pump up a bike tyre but all the vicar sees is my silhouette etc etc etc

i just cant watch it.

i watched Curb Your Enthusiasm the other night and thought it was good.. slightly cringey in places but it was interesting to watch cos they seemed to ad-lib quite a bit.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Fraiser it's a torture to watch that show. though i don't know if it's praised all the time or not.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I don't even watch comedies on TV. They don't interest me enough to even know the names!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Lizard wrote:
    Friends

that show is garbage.

Reno 911

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • brainofPJ wrote:
    that show is garbage.

Reno 911

and that show is genius.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the office (american version)

curb your enthusiasm - it's just too mean....i like the softer larry when he was george costanza

king of the hill -can't believe that's still on the air

everybody loves raymond - no they don't

king of queens - riding the coattails of raymond doesn't mean your funny

sex and the city - not funny, never was funny, never will be funny
  • friends
    letterman
    mad tv
    king of queens

im sure there is more but i cant think of them now.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    -King of Queens (one of the worst SHOWS ive ever seen)
    -Cavemen (TV show based on a comercial - nuff said)
    -The Office (sorry, I just think anything Steve Carell is just awful - he aint funny)
    -House of Payne (so stupid...so stupid)
    -Frank TV (was siked about its premiere, and wanted to claw my eyes out after watching it - watched the first 10 mins, and changed the channel)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    -King of Queens (one of the worst SHOWS ive ever seen)
    -Cavemen (TV show based on a comercial - nuff said)
    -The Office (sorry, I just think anything Steve Carell is just awful - he aint funny)
    -House of Payne (so stupid...so stupid)
    -Frank TV (was siked about its premiere, and wanted to claw my eyes out after watching it - watched the first 10 mins, and changed the channel)
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    scrubs
  • friends, and seeing sienfeld latley is making me sick. drives me nuts.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • frasier was the worst. all the jokes you could see coming from miles away, yet critics praised it for being smart..
  • Family Guy
  • friends and seinfeld
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10