Better laptops-Macs or Dells?

Comments

• can you use torrent on a mac?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    It should come with it already. I don't like going to the keyboard to use two hands when it should at my fingertips (on one hand).

It's my biggest beef with their design. One button also just looks idiotic to me.
    i laughed when you said hoof, i never thought of it that way.
    i dont mind the design actually...
    one thing i've really noticed with my macbook compared to any of my friends PC notebooks is that its soooo lightweight and slim... amazing!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • can you use torrent on a mac?

yeesah
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    i laughed when you said hoof, i never thought of it that way.
    i dont mind the design actually...
    one thing i've really noticed with my macbook compared to any of my friends PC notebooks is that its soooo lightweight and slim... amazing!

Hahaha, ok the first argument in favor of Mac I've seen on this thread.

The iPod is slim too, but more expensive and less functional than the competition.

The MacBook weighs 5 pounds and some other Laptops weigh less than 4 pounds.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
    Here is a list of PC Laptops under 4 lbs

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopstabletpcs/tp/underfourlbs.htm

Next.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Here is a list of PC Laptops under 4 lbs

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopstabletpcs/tp/underfourlbs.htm

Next.
    i hafto appologize, i said compared to the ones my friends have.. i dont know every laptop on the market, and i don't care to research it.
    but i do appreciate your ability to.

and i dont feel like i'm the first one in favour of a mac... maybe i got the wrong feeling reading the thread.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • i'm a mac person

the mouse thing is easily remedied (sp?) by buying a right clicker at Wal-Mart for under 10 bucks

it takes seconds for my mac to start up as opposed to minutes waiting for the pc to do the same

as long as you have the newer macbook you'll be able to do all the fun things you do with a pc except it won't take as long and your computer won't freeze up all the time

also if something is not working right, you'll never have to worry about your computer being affected by a virus or whatever, no lengthy 'virus scans" and all that other stuff

it is very lightweight, and most of the dells that are so affordable are really bulky and heavy

so...i would definitely go for the mac if you have the money to purchase it!

that's my two cents. :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    buy a mac !
    windows suck !
    When will people finally believe that ?
    Mac Os is so much better than windows.
    Starting a windos-equipped PC takes 2 or 3 minutes (launching windows, launching antivirus, firewall, etc.). Starting a mac takes 20 seconds. And once it's started, it works...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    To be honest, the most common computer error is an ID10T error, "eye, dee, ten, tee" as we say in the business. It's a user error, the most common one.

Perhaps it's not that the PC isn't equipped to handle your needs. Perhaps you aren't equipped to handle a PC. Owning a PC is a hobby, owning a mac is like owning a microwave.

There is a false dichotomy, which is Mac vs PCs. Microsoft does not make PCs, they make operating systems. The beauty of the Personal Computer is that I can customize it and upgrade it. They use a standard form factor known as ATX. This means that any hardware manufacturer can make hardware that suits ATX. You have a choice of Intel or AMD, ATI or NVidia, Kingston or AZN and many competitors have come and gone. I personally liked 3DFX, they said "Why make a board that is overclockable, when we can clock it right for you?"

If you look at the history of Apple computers and where they are headed. They are now using Intel processors, they are compatible with Windows and PC hardware. So what you are really getting is a PC with Mac OS X. Why can't you buy a different PC and run Mac OS X on it? The motherboard just looks like they rearranged the expansion slots and RAM. Which means that it's not ATX form factor, but does the same thing and is compatible with the same peripherals. It's kind of like Underwriters Laboratories labeling UTP cables in Levels instead of Categories. They call Category 5 UTP, Level 5.

Apple has always been good at marketing though. They will make something completely ordinary seem like an exotic vacation.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    Haha, man it's sucking you in.

Those ads are so entertaining and hip.

Apple wants to do exactly what Microsoft wants to do. They are both monopolists. If Apple made the only computers there would be a virtual end to free software. Apple would have a death grasp on a lot of the computer industry. From the beginning, computers was about writing your own software. The Altaire and DOS were made by college kids. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were far from computer geniuses, they were capable of influencing their surroundings enough to put the pieces together. But they had to lie, cheat and steal to do it. Bill sold IBM DOS before he even owned it. They went to some guy they heard about who had DOS and offered him $50,000, they thought they hit the jackpot. Little did they know Gates had already licensed (not sold) DOS to IBM for a lot more. Meanwhile, Jobs is playing front runner for the Woz. Jobs basically takes all the fame and glory that comes with the success of the first Apple computer. He let it all go to his head. Then, he hits the jackpot with Xerox's Palo Alto lab and they sell him the Mouse and a Graphic User Interface. In comes Gates. He makes a deal with Jobs to help with the GUI, but makes Windows on the side. Microsoft needed Windows because they had just licensed DOS to IBM and the Mac OS was better.

It's easy to get confused, but the problem is, the guys that originally made all of this stuff are left in the dust. Jobs and Gates are corporate tyrants. The story continues with OS/2 Warp, Internet Explorer, Office, Outlook and everything these companies have ever made. Nothing they make is new, it's all old technology that independent programmers have already made and distributed for free. But Apple and Microsoft get into everything, they make other people's stuff and tell you it's better. They don't need a unique product, they just need people to believe it's unique. The iPod is not an innovation. A friend of mine has a 4GB player from a few years ago that is roughly the same size and weight. She paid like $100 for it. iTunes is nothing new. You can visit websites and purchase MP3s that are playable on all manner of MP3 player, including a huge variety of professional and free software players. Kazaa has pretty much always had options to purchase songs.

For that matter. Google is gonna try to cut into the success of Facebook and Microsoft has already bitten into the pie. Microsoft purchased a few shares of Facebook and Google is planning to come up with an alternative that is web friendly. Allowing people to basically import the software into their own site. Either way, the reality behind the scenes is that both Google and Facebook are advertising giants. Everything you do is stored and analyzed and sold back to you. They know you almost as good as you do. They will cater your stay on the internet with all kinds of ads. The internet is plagued with corporatism and may eventually become monopolized in several ways. Who doesn't use Google? The only way to combat it is to not fall into their traps. Use something else, something that is free. Use Linux. Use Open Office. Use The Gimp. The Gimp by the way, is a free program shipped with the free operating system Linux Red Hat 7. It allows you to quickly create logos and textures. Amongst all the typical paint and image editing tools, you can actually write scripts that do it all for you. Being able to change stuff to work better for you is kind of a unique feature of open source software.
  • DarkStar wrote:
    i'm no mac fanatic...i own a pc laptop...but this guy can't figure out how to find the standalone quicktime install file on the apple website...so i'd take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

duh.

ds
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure he knows how to do that, he's just trying to illustrate a point to idiots out there that don't know any better.
  • im think ahnimus doesn't really know how to write a coherent sentence. would you mind giving me that analogy in a form that is intelligible?
    His sentence was coherent. Apparently you have no understanding of how a computer works.

What he stated was that if a piece of hardware doesn't work, the operating system (whether it's Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc.) won't work. Most uninformed people will blame that on the operating system because they don't know any better.
  • NoKNoK Posts: 824
    Sony Vaio.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    lol you gotta do maintenance like defrag, virus and spyware scans then its fine
    I BrisK I wrote:
    lol you gotta do maintenance like defrag, virus and spyware scans then its fine

Any idea what that stuff does?

Defrag, is short for Defragmentation.

You hard-drive consists of a series of platters stacked on top of each other. Their is a read head, kind of like a record player, that reads/writes information as the platters spin around. Typically, writing begins at sector 0, the inner most region of the platters and writing continues outwards towards the outer sectors. Writing continues in a sequence until you delete something. If you delete a 40KB file somewhere in the middle of your data, the next time you write, say 80KB, half of it goes into that empty spot and the rest gets appended to the end of the written data. This is called a fragmented file, because it's not in one physical place on the disc, it's distributed amongst the free spaces. After a couple of years of writing and deleting files without defragmenting the drive, your computer takes longer to locate all of the information.

There is nothing different about Mac hard drives, they are the same hard drives. So if Mac OS doesn't give you a defrag option, I'd say you got ripped off because you can't do the required maintenance to keep your machine running. But then, you'll likely be replacing your Mac in 2 years anyway.

The Spyware/Adware issue is simply a market share issue. Remember this isn't a Mac vs PC issue, it's Apple vs Microsoft. Microsoft has 90% market share on operating systems, making them the ideal candidate for malicious software. The secret is, virus writers can write viruses for any operating system, but they will usually choose the most popular one. If Apple took 80% of the market from Microsoft, they would be the ones with all the spyware/adware problems. In addition, Mac OS, is partly developed by Microsoft, but mostly based on FreeBSD, which is an open source OS with a striking resemblence to another open source OS called Linux.

In 2007, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates did an interview on some program called D5. Jobs admits that Apple's biggest secret (not so secret) is that they are a software company, they don't make computers, they make operating systems. Which I will add, isn't very original. He says there was a false dichotomy within Apple that caused it a lot of problems, the Mac vs Microsoft dichotomy, but he fails to mention that, that is their entire marketting strategy, to push the Mac vs PC dichotomy, which is even more fake.
    In the interview, Gates and Jobs talk about how much they contribute to each other's business, and they both talk bullshit about the industry. Jobs says Japanese MP3 player developers couldn't write software, which is bullshit. They couldn't sell to an American market, that is all. The japanese don't have the advanced bullshitting techniques these fucking clowns have.
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    Any idea what that stuff does?

Defrag, is short for Defragmentation.

You hard-drive consists of a series of platters stacked on top of each other. Their is a read head, kind of like a record player, that reads/writes information as the platters spin around. Typically, writing begins at sector 0, the inner most region of the platters and writing continues outwards towards the outer sectors. Writing continues in a sequence until you delete something. If you delete a 40KB file somewhere in the middle of your data, the next time you write, say 80KB, half of it goes into that empty spot and the rest gets appended to the end of the written data. This is called a fragmented file, because it's not in one physical place on the disc, it's distributed amongst the free spaces. After a couple of years of writing and deleting files without defragmenting the drive, your computer takes longer to locate all of the information.

There is nothing different about Mac hard drives, they are the same hard drives. So if Mac OS doesn't give you a defrag option, I'd say you got ripped off because you can't do the required maintenance to keep your machine running. But then, you'll likely be replacing your Mac in 2 years anyway.

The Spyware/Adware issue is simply a market share issue. Remember this isn't a Mac vs PC issue, it's Apple vs Microsoft. Microsoft has 90% market share on operating systems, making them the ideal candidate for malicious software. The secret is, virus writers can write viruses for any operating system, but they will usually choose the most popular one. If Apple took 80% of the market from Microsoft, they would be the ones with all the spyware/adware problems. In addition, Mac OS, is partly developed by Microsoft, but mostly based on FreeBSD, which is an open source OS with a striking resemblence to another open source OS called Linux.

In 2007, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates did an interview on some program called D5. Jobs admits that Apple's biggest secret (not so secret) is that they are a software company, they don't make computers, they make operating systems. Which I will add, isn't very original. He says there was a false dichotomy within Apple that caused it a lot of problems, the Mac vs Microsoft dichotomy, but he fails to mention that, that is their entire marketting strategy, to push the Mac vs PC dichotomy, which is even more fake.
    In the interview, Gates and Jobs talk about how much they contribute to each other's business, and they both talk bullshit about the industry. Jobs says Japanese MP3 player developers couldn't write software, which is bullshit. They couldn't sell to an American market, that is all. The japanese don't have the advanced bullshitting techniques these fucking clowns have.

Cliff's Notes, pweeze?
    Here is the interview with Jobs and Gates

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4uXI
    Cliff's Notes, pweeze?

Those are the Cliff's Notes man. Computers get far more complicated than that.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure he knows how to do that, he's just trying to illustrate a point to idiots out there that don't know any better.
    don't roll your eyes at me! LOL. :D

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
    So, a co-worker of mine says "Ask any video/audio editing profesisonal, Mac is better at that stuff."

So, as usual, I don't take stuff like this to be truth without a little investigation. What I found was this:
    Let's face it: Software development, for the most part, isn't all that it can be. Recently Adobe inadvertently underscored this problem when it posted an article on its site (using data taken from benchmark studies conducted by DMN's own Charlie White), showing how a single-processor 3.06 GHz Dell Precision Workstation dramatically outperformed a similarly equipped dual-processor 1.25 GHz Macintosh G4 at rendering compositions in After Effects 5.5. So what's the problem? Software that isn't written to take advantage of the hardware. That's a big problem.

The article in question, of course, is the now-infamous "PC Preferred" document that appears on Adobe's Web site at http://www.adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html. In it, Adobe uses benchmark results showing how After Effects 5.5 renders much, much more quickly on an Intel-based system than on a Motorola-based system. There's nothing particularly extraordinary in that, except for the inexplicably inflammatory anti-Macintosh tone (and nomenclature) of the Adobe article, especially given that Mac users make up 28 percent of Adobe's market and a whopping half of the total creative production market. What is extraordinary is how eager this article makes Adobe seem to advertise the shortcomings of its own software's performance.

http://mediadesigner.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=16566

The link adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html now rereoutes to a general information page about adobe products. I was skeptical of this link, but it appears on several discussion pages, adobe must have removed it after it caused such a controversy. It is probably also true, since Apple is now moving away from Motorola CPUs and using the Intel Xeon processors with larger L1 and L2 caches, which is where processing performance typically bottlenecks. Ironically, Microsoft is using the Motorola chipset in their XBox 360, and they have borrowed code from Apple to make the 360 work (or not work). Many 360 owners have experienced the 3 rings of death which means they need a new system. Regardless, the truth behind all of this seems to be that Intel and Adobe are the audio/video editing superiors and performance in this area has virtually nothing to do with either Apple or Microsoft.
  • let me begin this entry by saying i'm not an english major and i don't know if i have complete sentences...misspellings, whatever but here is how i feel about it

i am totally not a computer whiz! whatever it is that they do with macs... i like it. i like not being in the other 90% constantly worried about viruses and what not, i'm glad i'm part of the 10% that hackers don't worry about. (red.) It prolly saves days/weeks of my life not doing virus scans/spyware scans, waiting for the os to load, or whatever takes so long for microsoft to do, i like it that it's idiot friendly or whatever you call it. i like the simplicity...

it's true though that w/in 2-3 years, you will need an update of some kind on your mac. for example i think os 10.4.10 is the latest os for macbooks, you should have a 10.3.10 os or higher to be able to function appropriately for the latest web designs and what not. but upgrades for your mac are easily installed and most of the updates are free.

if you do a lot of things with pictures or you are a graphic designer of any kind-the mac is great. it comes equipped with all the BASIC tools you need to design and create... i.e. AppleWorks, iPhoto etc...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • DarkStar wrote:
    don't roll your eyes at me! LOL. :D

ds
    :o

Was only kidding with you!
    All other operating systems come with free tools as well, and more free tools are available on PC systems.

Actually, Apple has had their share of viruses, just not as many as machines running Windows.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/Macintosh_Viruses_and_Mac_Virus_Resources.htm

If you want to live in a world with no options, no compatibility, and go back to before computers were standardized, then you won't get any viruses. Analogously, if you never have sex you can't get STDs either. But no code is safe from hackers, the old Apple Quicktime had a security hole that allowed malicious attackers to control your machine.... The number of viruses on Macs will increase with the popularity of Macs. Additionally, as Macs move closer to standardization with the PC market, they will become more vulnerable to existing viruses and they will lack the experience to deal with them.
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    Those are the Cliff's Notes man. Computers get far more complicated than that.
    not really ;)
    not really ;)

Depends if you want to start talking colored bands. Logical state machines. Binary, Assembly Language, Machine Code, etc...
    Despite my apparent expertise in other areas of study. Computer technology has always been my true profession. I'm CompTIA A+ certified, CCNA certified and I have years of computer related experience.

I've just applied for a Technology Operations position with my company. Unfortunetly, I believe agism is a factor, as with most human resources divisions, they look upon 30- people with disbelief about their qualifications. I can provide documents proving my certification, but I doubt they will even contact me for further information.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Ahnimus wrote:
    So, a co-worker of mine says "Ask any video/audio editing profesisonal, Mac is better at that stuff."

That is something that I hear quite a bit but I never really understood it. I always chalked it up to the Mac having an easier to use piece of software for audio/video editing.

I'm a electrical engineer, and I have yet to see a customer running Macs anywhere in any facility. If I spec'd a Mac as a workstation, I'd be laughed out of a job.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
    Songburst wrote:
    That is something that I hear quite a bit but I never really understood it. I always chalked it up to the Mac having an easier to use piece of software for audio/video editing.

I'm a electrical engineer, and I have yet to see a customer running Macs anywhere in any facility. If I spec'd a Mac as a workstation, I'd be laughed out of a job.

Yea, my company has a image/audio/video editing dept. but they are all using Windows XP based PCs. Apparently, they all like Macs, but the network team gave them PCs.

But, the first point is that the software is Adobe either way. It must just be a issue of peer influence. Everyone in the industry says it's true, so it must be true for you if you are in the industry, or else you will be ridiculed. But it has nothing to do with fact. The fact is that Adobe products run better on Top of the line Intel processors than on Motorola and Mac is switching to Intel, so there will be virtually no difference in performance.