Better laptops-Macs or Dells?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have had a Dell laptop for 5 years and it seems its on its last legs, or at least is slowing down. I may buy myself a new laptop, but does anyone have any suggestions on if a Dell or mac laptop is preferable?

Does having a mac, mean you cant download alot of stuff, because the operating system on a mac isnt supported by websites?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I've had my Dell laptop for about 5 years..it's in pretty good condition because i use it as a desktop. Im sorry I don't know much about Macs but I don't think you would be limited on what you download because of the OS.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    Apples are superiour products. Then again, so were BETA machines.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I've had my Dell laptop for about 4 years now. Still works great.
    Macs are cool, but I truly believe their once "great products" have become a little shitty over the last few years.
  • here's a nice little guide to help you out:
    http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    here's a nice little guide to help you out:

LOL

It actually is a proven fact that when Mac users take a shit, it doesn't stink!

Really, it is!
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    here's a nice little guide to help you out:
    i'm no mac fanatic...i own a pc laptop...but this guy can't figure out how to find the standalone quicktime install file on the apple website...so i'd take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

duh.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    mca47 wrote:
    LOL

It actually is a proven fact that when Mac users take a shit, it doesn't stink!

Really, it is!
    that's because (apparently) their shit isn't as vunerable to virus infestations...unlike pc users. :D

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the new macs can run windows....:)
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Quicktime is a piece of shit.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Mac.
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    My next laptop is definitely going to be a mac. I just can't afford one right now with all my vacation plans. But as soon as my dell dies I am so getting a mac.
    I would get a mac if it wasn't a mac.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    I would get a mac if it wasn't a mac.

Say what you want, Macs are far superior to any PC. Especially Dell. Dell's customer support is a fucking joke.
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Say what you want, Macs are far superior to any PC. Especially Dell. Dell's customer support is a fucking joke.

Yeah, I got my first computer when I was 7; it was a mac. I loved it but I was 7 haha. My parents really liked it. Then I went the way of the pc and only bought a dell because it was so cheap. I used a macbook for work a couple years ago and LOVED it...can't wait to get a mac when I can afford it.

I'm not gonna defend Dell, but go ahead and list the pros and cons of Mac vs PC.
  • The mice on macs are like a hoof. One button. How idiotic.

Have they fixed the mouse for dummies yet?
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    The mice on macs are like a hoof. One button. How idiotic.

What's funny is that some of the "Simplicity" is actually more difficult to use.

I remember in highschool when we had the Macs, someone would go and switch all the fonts to Symbolic. The admins had a hell of a time switching them all back.

But my beef with Apple is centered around their history. The same things I don't like about Microsoft, I don't like about Apple.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i bought a mac in college and haven't looked back. i don't like having to spend a lot of time figuring out why shit isn't working.
  • Ahnimus wrote:

Noah Wyle AND Anthony Michael Hall?

Someone call the Oscars! WE GOT A WINNAH!
    i bought a mac in college and haven't looked back. i don't like having to spend a lot of time figuring out why shit isn't working.

lol

If a fan dies, a fan dies, Apple doesn't make better fans, they don't even make fans.

I'm thinking Mac Addicts don't really know the difference.
    Noah Wyle AND Anthony Michael Hall?

Someone call the Oscars! WE GOT A WINNAH!

You should watch it, it's entertaining!
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    lol

If a fan dies, a fan dies, Apple doesn't make better fans, they don't even make fans.

Man, you are pretty anti-mac.

You aren't Bill Gates, are you?
  • Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Ahnimus wrote:
    lol

im think ahnimus doesn't really know how to write a coherent sentence. would you mind giving me that analogy in a form that is intelligible?
    Man, you are pretty anti-mac.

You aren't Bill Gates, are you?

I dislike Microsoft because they make O/S's proprietory, but Apple does the same thing with their system.

Their tactics are sneaky, just like microsoft. Why can't I watch an .mov file without adding Quicktime and iTunes to my startup? I don't even use iTunes, but there it is, bastards.

Everything wrong with a PC is twice as wrong on a Mac.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    The mice on macs are like a hoof. One button. How idiotic.

control click, problem solved :)
    or just buy a knock off mac mouse like i did... right click away!

i got a macbook last christmas, bought windows xp so i could use it when i downloaded bootcamp - XP is still sitting in my closet unopened. never felt the need after i spent an hour on the mac, i looooooooove it!!

for photo booth alone, i mean... come on!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • control click, problem solved :)
    or just buy a knock off mac mouse like i did... right click away!

i got a macbook last christmas, bought windows xp so i could use it when i downloaded bootcamp - XP is still sitting in my closet unopened. never felt the need after i spent an hour on the mac, i looooooooove it!!

for photo booth alone, i mean... come on!

It should come with it already. I don't like going to the keyboard to use two hands when it should at my fingertips (on one hand).

It's my biggest beef with their design. One button also just looks idiotic to me.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")