losing a bunch of weight

Comments

• Nice!!
    I have 21 lbs to go & I am hoping to get there by New Years.
    We should make a weight loss challenge for the pit!!

I'm hoping to lose 30lb by my 25th birthday at the end of January... We should so start a weight loss challenge! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I'm hoping to lose 30lb by my 25th birthday at the end of January... We should so start a weight loss challenge! :D
    I need to lose 25-30lb as well. But it's that damn cheese, somebody ban cheese.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    I need to lose 25-30lb as well. But it's that damn cheese, somebody ban cheese.

:eek: I agree!

My vices are cheese pasta and bread... can't get enough of 'em! I think I need to cut down if I'm gonna lose 30lb before the end of January though :o

How about replacing normal cheese with a half fat version? Or cottage cheese on jacket potatoes instead of grated? Goats cheese is also lower in fat.

I get my daily cheese fix by eating Babybel light. They're 40 cals each and you can keep track of how many you've had without weighing... besides, there's no better feeling that eating a lump of cheese :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I've lost a little bit of weight lately, mostly because I'm flat fucking broke and can't afford to eat much.........
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    sponger wrote:
    I dated a beautiful redhed back in the day. Now she's heavy. We still talk. She calls me with her boyfriend troubles. I say, "Do you realize how hot you used to be? My friends still talk about what a lucky bastard I was to be banging you. All you have to do is hit the gym three days a week and you can date anyone you want."

She goes, "I don't want a guy to date me just because I'm hot. I'm happy this way."

I'm glad she seems to be happy, that was a shitty thing to say to her. Sounds like she's a good friend and can put up with you saying things like that.
    Of course, this is just all my opinion. Sad that this society is so hung up on looks, I'm just as guilty and I'm no prize.

• _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    PJPixie wrote:
    I'm glad she seems to be happy, that was a shitty thing to say to her. Sounds like she's a good friend and can put up with you saying things like that.
    Of course, this is just all my opinion. Sad that this society is so hung up on looks, I'm just as guilty and I'm no prize.

I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say, too. She calls with boyfriend troubles and he tells her how hot she used to be I could understand if she called complaining about her weight that they might end up talking about it....
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say, too. She calls with boyfriend troubles and he tells her how hot she used to be I could understand if she called complaining about her weight that they might end up talking about it....

The thing is- it's not that mean, and I'm thinking that guys who say that kind of stuff don't really understand that it sounds a lot meaner out loud than it does in their head.

I spent most of my life on the fat side of the fence. I made tons of excuses for it, said that people could F themselves if they didn't like me how I was, and I was just as happy fat as I could be thin.

Yeah. Screw that. After losing 110lbs, I'll say with certainty:
    Society likes me better.
    I am happier.
    I am way prettier.
    People notice me.

Sorry, but anyone who says they are happy being fat in this society is really kidding themselves. And I wouldn't say that if I hadn't been there myself.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
    The thing is- it's not that mean, and I'm thinking that guys who say that kind of stuff don't really understand that it sounds a lot meaner out loud than it does in their head.

I spent most of my life on the fat side of the fence. I made tons of excuses for it, said that people could F themselves if they didn't like me how I was, and I was just as happy fat as I could be thin.

Yeah. Screw that. After losing 110lbs, I'll say with certainty:
    Society likes me better.
    I am happier.
    I am way prettier.
    People notice me.

Sorry, but anyone who says they are happy being fat in this society is really kidding themselves. And I wouldn't say that if I hadn't been there myself.

I'm happy and I'm overweight, but I will agree with the fact that society is tough on us. I'm as happy as I've ever been and I've been much skinnier in my life.

• Yeah. Screw that. After losing 110lbs, I'll say with certainty:
    Society likes me better.
    I am happier.
    I am way prettier.
    People notice me.

Not everyone is like you, though. Not everyone cares if society likes them or if people notice them.

On top of that, I've lost a little more than you have, and I really don't notice people treating me that much differently. I get hit on more, but there's nothing significant. The thing that's really different is my health and how I feel about myself....society is generally the same towards me.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    Not everyone is like you, though. Not everyone cares if society likes them or if people notice them.

On top of that, I've lost a little more than you have, and I really don't notice people treating me that much differently. I get hit on more, but there's nothing significant. The thing that's really different is my health and how I feel about myself....society is generally the same towards me.

You may think that's true but it isn't. If you lost more than me, trust me- before you were invisible. Now, you're an actual person who's worth something.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's true.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • You may think that's true but it isn't. If you lost more than me, trust me- before you were invisible. Now, you're an actual person who's worth something.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's true.
    That's just what you see. I see something else. When I was over 300, I had friends...people would help me out in stores if I asked...I was able to find good work...I got good service in restaurants or bars....etc. etc. Society was generally the same way it is now.

If you felt like you were worthless before you lost weight, you got other issues goin' on..."society" didn't make you feel that way, YOU did.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    That's just what you see. I see something else. When I was over 300, I had friends...people would help me out in stores if I asked...I was able to find good work...I got good service in restaurants or bars....etc. etc. Society was generally the same way it is now.

If you felt like you were worthless before you lost weight, you got other issues goin' on..."society" didn't make you feel that way, YOU did.

Not going to argue. I find it verrrry hard to believe that you lost in excess of 100lbs and you don't see a difference.
    Just curious what might be different for you. Most people have a whole list, no one- I mean NO ONE- I know says, "yeah, things are pretty much the same as before." It's probably one of the most un-true things I've ever heard, and I have heard an awful lot from people who are/were/ will be again fat.

Let's hear it. Seriously.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    :eek: I agree!

My vices are cheese pasta and bread... can't get enough of 'em! I think I need to cut down if I'm gonna lose 30lb before the end of January though :o

How about replacing normal cheese with a half fat version? Or cottage cheese on jacket potatoes instead of grated? Goats cheese is also lower in fat.

I get my daily cheese fix by eating Babybel light. They're 40 cals each and you can keep track of how many you've had without weighing... besides, there's no better feeling that eating a lump of cheese :D

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100215630&GT1=31036#
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    Not going to argue. I find it verrrry hard to believe that you lost in excess of 100lbs and you don't see a difference.
    Just curious what might be different for you. Most people have a whole list, no one- I mean NO ONE- I know says, "yeah, things are pretty much the same as before." It's probably one of the most un-true things I've ever heard, and I have heard an awful lot from people who are/were/ will be again fat.

Happiness is within. I said it!

• PJPixie wrote:
    Happiness is within. I said it!

Well, obviously.

The things I'm referring to are things like:
    - I don't have to take the big girl seat on the subway anymore.
    - I don't have aching joints.
    - I can shop pretty much anywhere & not be limited to only buying shoes and/ or accessories.

Those are just a few. People undergo very profound changes that they didn't expect when they lose a lot of weight. I am part of a huge (no pun) community of people who have gone from morbidly obese to having a normal BMI. I would say probably 200-300 members, not counting the people I talk to online.

Without the "happiness comes from within" and "love yourself first" cliches that are out there...
    Not one single person I know who has lost a bunch of weight says 'yeah, things are basically the same.' It's an untrue statement. No matter what you think of yourself, or how society sees you, the life changes are intense when you take that much control of your life and lose that much weight.
  • Not going to argue. I find it verrrry hard to believe that you lost in excess of 100lbs and you don't see a difference.

I see/feel a HUGE difference, but it has nothing to do with society. I never said "things are pretty much the same". I'm saying the way society treats me hasn't changed all that much. I never felt worthless or anything like you described...I felt crummy and unhealthy, but I never felt like society deemed me insignificant.

Maybe it's hard to believe, but I assure you that not all fat people felt like you did when they were fat.
  • I lost almost 80 lbs a few years ago, gained 50 back but lost it again and have kept it off for over a year now. Keep it up! It's a GREAT feeling!

I love being able to feel my ribs. At first it freaked me out, but now I dig it. I also love sitting on something hard and feeling my "butt bones" hurt. It's uncomfy, but a reminder of how far I've come.

I've also noticed how pronouced my facial features are.

What I don't like is when people tell me I'm too skinny. Which I'm not. I'd still like to lose about 20 more pounds - slowly. But 20 more nonetheless.

But that's impressive that you've come that far. Really, keep it up, expect to plateau and don't give up. H20 is your best friend! And the scale your worst enemy! Remember, if you excercise you will easily lose inches before pounds! I had to really keep that in mind to not get depressed!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Saturnal wrote:

I can definately see your point, read my above post. I lost a good amount of weight. It comes from your self confidence. If you are confident in yourself, you don't think that society sees you any different. I always have had great confidence in myself, so I never noticed any change in how people treated me. Maybe they did, maybe people didn't treat me different me as well as they should have, maybe I wasn't taken as seriously as I should have been...but because I was confident in myself, I didn't see anything different. Granted, I too, get hit on more as well but I still posess a great amount of self esteem and only lost the weight because I wanted a healthy, long life NOT because I wanted to look better. The change came within, not for superficial reasons.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    I lost almost 80 lbs a few years ago, gained 50 back but lost it again and have kept it off for over a year now. Keep it up! It's a GREAT feeling!

I love being able to feel my ribs. At first it freaked me out, but now I dig it. I also love sitting on something hard and feeling my "butt bones" hurt. It's uncomfy, but a reminder of how far I've come.

What I don't like is when people tell me I'm too skinny. Which I'm not. I'd still like to lose about 20 more pounds - slowly. But 20 more nonetheless.

But that's impressive that you've come that far. Really, keep it up, expect to plateau and don't give up. H20 is your best friend! And the scale your worst enemy! Remember, if you excercise you will easily lose inches before pounds! I had to really keep that in mind to not get depressed!

i did kind of hit a plateau at about 255-260. i was working out like every other day and bike riding when weather permits. lately i have been trying to go to the gym every day, alternating weight training days with straight cardio days inbetween. jumped on the scale today and its at 251... its so exciting thinking that i am going to be in the 240's soon! these numbers may seem high.. and sure they are, but nobody ever believed i was the weight i was. i have always had very muscular legs (treetrunks is what they called me when i was 10). muscle is denser than fat so right now i think that's why i am at my plateau. i put a lot of muscle on my arms in the last 2 months. my arms actually look kind of toned!

as for society?... well EVERYONE i work with keeps telling me how great i look. my friends are amazed that i have lost as much as i have. i have more self confidence and i am feeling more ready for a relationship than ever before. i don't know if i am being treated different, but between co-workers, friends and customers commenting on how much better i look, it's a great feeling though its almost starting to get annoying.. almost=p i am exposing myself to situations that i may have avoided at my previous size and i think people are noticing my new confidence levels.

i almost feel like a baby being exposed to new things sometimes... i jogged for 2 miles as my warmup for the gym today.... sounds basic... but i impressed me with that=p
  • The Champ wrote:

Wow! That's a good article and an excuse to eat better cheese... Thanks :o

• Saturnal wrote:
    I see/feel a HUGE difference, but it has nothing to do with society. I never said "things are pretty much the same". I'm saying the way society treats me hasn't changed all that much. I never felt worthless or anything like you described...I felt crummy and unhealthy, but I never felt like society deemed me insignificant.

Maybe it's hard to believe, but I assure you that not all fat people felt like you did when they were fat.

You have not one clue how I felt when I was fat. Not one. So don't speculate.
    Clearly you didn't read where I said that people have reactions they didn't expect when they lose that much weight.

Whatever. So far nothing in your posts makes me think you are telling the truth about losing that much weight all at once- I think you just threw that "lost more weight than you" thing out there so that you could build a totally invalid argument, so we'll just agree to disagree.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I lost almost 80 lbs a few years ago, gained 50 back but lost it again and have kept it off for over a year now. Keep it up! It's a GREAT feeling!

This is a great post! Just really cool to read...positive. Definately some cool people on this board!

No matter what, it's just great to take care of yourself and be healthy. Never take it for granted. That is all. :)
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • You have not one clue how I felt when I was fat. Not one. So don't speculate.
    Clearly you didn't read where I said that people have reactions they didn't expect when they lose that much weight.

Whatever. So far nothing in your posts makes me think you are telling the truth about losing that much weight all at once- I think you just threw that "lost more weight than you" thing out there so that you could build a totally invalid argument, so we'll just agree to disagree.
    I'm not speculating on how you felt. I'm responding to you saying how I was invisible to society before, and how I'm worth something now (your words). I'm telling you it wasn't like that for me. There have been times during the process where I've felt like society was starting to treat me differently, but looking back now, it really wasn't. It's just the way I feel about myself that's changed, and the way I interact with society now is different. But society itself has always been generally the same toward me.

I'm not making this up.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Saturnal/

It's wrong for you to tell fat people that they're invisible and not worth anything to society. It's not like that.
  • lephty wrote:
    i did kind of hit a plateau at about 255-260. i was working out like every other day and bike riding when weather permits. lately i have been trying to go to the gym every day, alternating weight training days with straight cardio days inbetween. jumped on the scale today and its at 251... its so exciting thinking that i am going to be in the 240's soon! these numbers may seem high.. and sure they are, but nobody ever believed i was the weight i was. i have always had very muscular legs (treetrunks is what they called me when i was 10). muscle is denser than fat so right now i think that's why i am at my plateau. i put a lot of muscle on my arms in the last 2 months. my arms actually look kind of toned!

as for society?... well EVERYONE i work with keeps telling me how great i look. my friends are amazed that i have lost as much as i have. i have more self confidence and i am feeling more ready for a relationship than ever before. i don't know if i am being treated different, but between co-workers, friends and customers commenting on how much better i look, it's a great feeling though its almost starting to get annoying.. almost=p i am exposing myself to situations that i may have avoided at my previous size and i think people are noticing my new confidence levels.

i almost feel like a baby being exposed to new things sometimes... i jogged for 2 miles as my warmup for the gym today.... sounds basic... but i impressed me with that=p
    Just stay motivated, and keep doing what you're doing. That's all there is to it really. As you get leaner, you'll hit plateaus more often, so just bear with your body, and it'll pay off. Believe it or not, sometimes taking a day to pig out can break a plateau...just don't go insane with the cheat day that's all.
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I currently track all of my calorie/food intake/liquids/exercise/daily weight every day on a spread sheet I made. After losing so much, I want to lose more and I've found that tracking everything and holding myself accountable really opens my eyes to what I am taking in. I've always estimated about how much I was eating, but when you keep track of it it can be a real difference. The spread sheet seems to be working a lot for me. It's like my own mini weight watchers meeting with myself.
    so i went shopping today to get a new outfit i can wear out thanksgiving eve. for as long as i can remember i was a 40-42 waist.... today i got a pair of jeans that are 36 and they aren't even tight!

so now i am stuck at a new plateau of 230 but OMG that WAS my goal... I HIT MY WEIGHT GOAL! as exciting as it is, i am going to do BETTER and keep going. people i haven't seen in years say i look like superman as my upper body is starting to V. going to set a new goal of 200. which by the looks of things, i could reach by the end of january if i can control myself during the holiday season.

my new favorite thing to do at the gym... RUNNING! i can freaking run for an hour and cover over 6 miles in that time!

i hope everyone else that posted is still heading in the right direction!
  • Congrats to you!!!! That is a great accomplishment!! :D

Holidays are tough, so go easy on yourself.
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I once lost about 110 pounds on a hiking trip, but little did I realize just how resourceful my wife really is. She found her way back home.

I said, I get at least one bad joke a week...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Im kinda in the same boat. I need to lose a lot of weight. Im gonna do it, I just got get up and DO IT.

Im young so it shouldnt be hard. Im in almost the same position u were.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

lephty wrote:
    so now i am stuck at a new plateau of 230 but OMG that WAS my goal... I HIT MY WEIGHT GOAL! as exciting as it is, i am going to do BETTER and keep going. people i haven't seen in years say i look like superman as my upper body is starting to V. going to set a new goal of 200. which by the looks of things, i could reach by the end of january if i can control myself during the holiday season.

so i am still going... i am ranging between 195 and 200lbs! thats about 90-95lbs lost in just under a year! no crazy diet plans. i watched what i ate and exercised!

i fit easily into 34 waist and am probably borderline 32! i got medium boxers from old navy and they fit! i love that it's getting nicer out cause it sure is nice running and biking outside!

you know you lost a lot of weight when your xl IIC shirt that was made for a midget, fits now!

i'm still going too... from what i am reading, a normal weight for someone my height (5'11") is 180-185. 15-20lbs from no longer being in the "overwieght" category!

how is everyone else doing?!