losing a bunch of weight

lephtylephty Posts: 770
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
so i have always been a fatty, but in the passed 2 years, my father has been sick and someone i played WOW with died in his early 30's due to heart issues. the combination of the 2 made me realize i need to start taking care of myself. so in may i quit WOW and started eating better and biking. i joined a gym in the beginning of august and at the moment, i am probably the most fit i have EVER been and i am 28. i estimate that i lost between 40-50lbs. i can only estimate cause i considered scales to be an enemy until recently. all i know is that the last time i was weighed i was 290 and that was 5-10 years ago and i know i was larger than and i now weigh 255. my personal goal is to hit 230 but if i can do better, i will try!

i am not exactly fit yet but i am getting there and i notice so many little things that i could not do or feel before. my favorite odd little thing? laying on my side and feeling only my side on the surface beneath me and not the large rolls i once had. totally bizarre i know but i have NEVER been able to lay down like i can lay down now=p

so have you ever lost a bunch of weight? what was your inspiration? what was the weirdest thing you noticed after shedding the bulk? share!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Well good for you losing that weight. And for quitting WoW. I've seen people lose yentire years of their life coz of that goddam game. Keep it up!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Yeah over the last couple years I lost a bunch...inspiration was the same as yours really: be healthier. Keep that as your main motivator, and you'll be fine. And if you focus more on lifting heavy weights than the bike, you'll easily get below 230 if you eat right. Your success will depend about 90% on diet, seriously.
  • what's wow?
    "It's all happening"
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    what's wow?

World of Warcraft....

I was a widow for 4 years because of the that game. Now that he stopped playing I wish he was playing again.

Great for you on the weight loss, you should proud..
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,577
    Congratulations.

I have never heard of WOW either.

The only way to lose a lot of weight is to change your lifestyle. That applies for me too (I want to lose about 20). Started going back to the gym last month and eating healthy. It's tough, but when you start reaping the rewards, it is great.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    230? Good goal to start with, but probably shouldn't stop there..good luck..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    i was 225 at age 13. i'm 24 now and am down to about 178. i was in the low 200s a few months ago. it feels great, i have a lot more stamina and i enjoy working out. i'm also now averse to eating shitty food because of the way it makes me feel afterwards. so that's one thing i've noticed. yea it tastes good, but those 2 or so hours after aren't worth it. its all about eating right and exercising. you'll slowly learn that you feel the best for that hour after your workout.

you are invincible. keep up the good work man and don't stop at 230....just will yourself to go lower, you can do it!
  • ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    almost forgot- when i'm laying on my couch at night watching the tube i like to do some crunches/ab exercises for 10ish minutes every night. it'll barely strain you, but trust me, it helps. that midsection fat is worse for you than any other fat on your body. feel free to pm if you need any help. i used to work at a gym and its really nice to see people bettering themselves by living a more healthy lifestyle.

now if i could only quit smoking.....
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Congrats Lephty.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    GZ!

Not gonna play Wrath Of The Litch King - nov 13th, gonna be sweet!
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    congratulations on getting into shape!
    It does feel great to shed those extra pounds. Two months after I turned 30, my boss asked me if I was pregnant (I wasn't) and when I got on the scale I realized I was bigger than ever before in my life. I weighed 144. I completely changed my way of life and lost about 30 lbs. I haven't gained any of the weight back. I'm in the best shape of my life. I work out 6 days a week and feel great about myself!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    I was quite the handsome lady killer in my youth. So, my motivation was to have the look of the devil again. I lost 40lbs and haven't gained it back in 4 years.

I sort of feel sorry for people who look just as unappealing thin as they did when they were heavy. I worked with a young woman like that a few years back.

When she lost an amazing amount of weight, she was still quite unspectacular. Her hair was thinning out and her bones just gave her an odd, unbalanced shape.

For someone in her position, I guess the only true motivation is to just be healthier and to feel better.

I dated a beautiful redhed back in the day. Now she's heavy. We still talk. She calls me with her boyfriend troubles. I say, "Do you realize how hot you used to be? My friends still talk about what a lucky bastard I was to be banging you. All you have to do is hit the gym three days a week and you can date anyone you want."

She goes, "I don't want a guy to date me just because I'm hot. I'm happy this way."
  • lephty wrote:
    so i have always been a fatty, but in the passed 2 years, my father has been sick and someone i played WOW with died in his early 30's due to heart issues. the combination of the 2 made me realize i need to start taking care of myself. so in may i quit WOW and started eating better and biking. i joined a gym in the beginning of august and at the moment, i am probably the most fit i have EVER been and i am 28. i estimate that i lost between 40-50lbs. i can only estimate cause i considered scales to be an enemy until recently. all i know is that the last time i was weighed i was 290 and that was 5-10 years ago and i know i was larger than and i now weigh 255. my personal goal is to hit 230 but if i can do better, i will try!

i am not exactly fit yet but i am getting there and i notice so many little things that i could not do or feel before. my favorite odd little thing? laying on my side and feeling only my side on the surface beneath me and not the large rolls i once had. totally bizarre i know but i have NEVER been able to lay down like i can lay down now=p

so have you ever lost a bunch of weight? what was your inspiration? what was the weirdest thing you noticed after shedding the bulk? share!

I'm curious, what kind of diet plan did you go on?
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • When I was at college there was a kid who lived across the hall from me who would play World of Warcraft for days and days and days on end. He was a real good guy but you could see how the game took total control of his life and to be honest it was sad. I'm not a big video game guy and have never played WOW so maybe you guys will know better than me, but what's the obsession? Why is this video game so literally addictive?
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Good for you Lefty...I love hearing stuff like that.

The lying on your side bit made me laugh

Come post in the 'post your daily workout thread' and keep up the good work
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Congrats on the weight-loss. Keep up the good work, and despite what some others have said, small and achievable goals are the way to go. If more weight comes off later, so much the better, but slow and steady is the way to keep it off :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Congratulations on the weight loss. I lost a lot of weight (75lbs) about 6 years ago, then graduated college and got a "desk job" and gained it back. I'm currently working on losing it and keeping it off by moving to a healthier lifestyle of eating better and working out. Stories like yours are an inspiration.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I lost 60lbs in the past year and 1/2. I was motivated by my desperation to no longer be horribly uncomfortable in my own skin. I wanted to be healthy and happy, and not worry about weight. It was consuming my whole life, and I feel like I missed out on a lot of things being so caught up in it.

I did it on pure healthy eating and working out. No pills, no funky fad diets, no cheating...

I went from a size 14/16 to a 6. I used to wear a XL/L shirt, and now I wear a S/M.. Its awesome to finally be able to go into a store and try on a bunch of options and not have to worry about not even fitting into ANYTHING at the store.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    thanks for all the kind words everyone!

230 is a reasonable goal for me i think. i am 5'11" and have a stocky frame (and i am not just saying that cause i am big!). even at my largest, people never believed how heavy i was. i would say "300ish" and they'd be like "yeah right!". I WAS BORN 11lbs 4oz!

something else i noticed today.... i went to Dick's to get some new workout pants and a sweatshirt. so i went out on my bike ride (25miles!) and... well i don't know what made me look down, but i did, and i noticed 2 separate legs! i still have a bit of the inner thigh roll, but while biking, my legs don't rub together! yay for no more fabric pills in my crotch~

been buying some pants too when i can afford them. no more big & tall stores... i went to macy's and they had my size! 42 waistbands were near impossible to find... now that i am 38, i can go to normal stores and buy normal clothes. THAT right there is probably my favorite thing right now. i can like something on a rack and 9/10 times, i can fit into a size on the rack comfortably!

WoW isn't all that bad. it can be very addicting, but people get too caught up in thinking its "just a game". it's not like you sit there and play a game by yourself.. its a social network interface! my cousins and friends played and i met a lot of cool people online that i would have never met because of where they live. needless to say, i do want to work on my real life social skills so i am 99% sure i am never going back~

oh and to the question about my diet... for the first month, i would have yogurt & granola and fruit for breakfast and salads for dinner. i eat a bit more normal now since i feel i have a main portion of my bulk off. i definitely eat more fruit and veggies now than i ever have. i didn't follow an atkins or south beach thing. i just ate what i knew was not bad for me and i got out of my computer chair and on my bike seat~
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lephty wrote:
    yay for no more fabric pills in my crotch~
    :eek:......:D.......:eek:
    lephty wrote:
    i didn't follow an atkins or south beach thing. i just ate what i knew was not bad for me and i got out of my computer chair and on my bike seat~
    see that's it right there...you make it sound so easy! will power is a bitch...
    I don't have a big weight problem, but I'd like to be healthier, and it really is as simple as that ^^^^
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i was also lucky that this year dutchess county just made the "Hudson Valley Rail Trail" so i had a place to bike to that was 5 miles away and is currently just under 2 miles long. its still under construction. last i read its going to be over 20 miles long... hopefully its ready for the spring but i think i read its project schedule is to go into the fall of 2009.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lephty wrote:
    i was also lucky that this year dutchess county just made the "Hudson Valley Rail Trail" so i had a place to bike to that was 5 miles away and is currently just under 2 miles long. its still under construction. last i read its going to be over 20 miles long... hopefully its ready for the spring but i think i read its project schedule is to go into the fall of 2009.
    :cool:

Good for you for stickin with it, and congrats on all the little pleasures youre getting to enjoy :)
  • Last year at this time I was at the tail end of a 2 year bout with major depression.
    I was very heavy- BMI pushing 40, a smoker, heavy drinker & had pain in just about every weight-bearing joint in my body.
    Then- and this is the God's honest truth, as ridiculous as it may sound- I went to the Bridge Benefit & I saw James Hetfield, and something clicked. I thought, "If that fucking guy can get his shit together, then I can too."

I quit smoking that day (October 27th).
    Bought the book, "Skinny Bitch," cleaned out my cupboards, ditched the beer and the animal products, and joined a gym.

Here I am, 11 1/2 months later, 110lbs lighter, a non-smoker, and a runner. Life is dreamy.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Keep up the hard work.....

Limit fast food and soda as well. Eating right is half the battle. There is no short cut to losing weight, just hard work if you want the results.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Wow indeed! Kudos to you! :D

I understand and sympathise completely with your weight issue. I used to be 82lb heavier.

I took the decision one day to lose weight (It had spiralled way out of control) as I was unhappy, uncomfortable and unfit. I won't tell you what I tipped the scales at cuz i'm a lady (;)) but lets just say I was very large.

I joined Weight Watchers and the weight started to fall off me. I too took up biking (again - I was an avid mountian biker as a kid) and got my ass fitter. Afer losing about 50lb I did something I never thought I would - Took up running.
    I completed the Race For Life this year and ran my first half marathon in 2006.

To others it might be weird that you like the way that you can feel yourself and not rolls of fat when you lie down but I know exactly what you're talking about! It's a massive achievement to lose any weight but over 40lb is incredible - well done! :D

Like yourself I'm not at my goal. I too have about 25 - 30lb to go. I've been off the diet wagon for a while now but started again recently and i'm starting to feel good about myself again, something i'm sure you understand ;)

I'll never be tiny and if i'm honest, I never want to be but i'd like to be happy in my skin. I'm the happiest I've been for the whole of my adult life, even though I know I still have a way to go.

You will lose the last bit of your weight and I promise you'll feel fantastic. Keep going and let us know how you get on :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Good for you. As somoene who is trying to take off some weight i know it is a hard thing to take off and keep off.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Wow indeed! Kudos to you! :D

I understand and sympathise completely with your weight issue. I used to be 82lb heavier.

I took the decision one day to lose weight (It had spiralled way out of control) as I was unhappy, uncomfortable and unfit. I won't tell you what I tipped the scales at cuz i'm a lady (;)) but lets just say I was very large.

I joined Weight Watchers and the weight started to fall off me. I too took up biking (again - I was an avid mountian biker as a kid) and got my ass fitter. Afer losing about 50lb I did something I never thought I would - Took up running.
    I completed the Race For Life this year and ran my first half marathon in 2006.

To others it might be weird that you like the way that you can feel yourself and not rolls of fat when you lie down but I know exactly what you're talking about! It's a massive achievement to lose any weight but over 40lb is incredible - well done! :D

Like yourself I'm not at my goal. I too have about 25 - 30lb to go. I've been off the diet wagon for a while now but started again recently and i'm starting to feel good about myself again, something i'm sure you understand ;)

I'll never be tiny and if i'm honest, I never want to be but i'd like to be happy in my skin. I'm the happiest I've been for the whole of my adult life, even though I know I still have a way to go.

You will lose the last bit of your weight and I promise you'll feel fantastic. Keep going and let us know how you get on :)

Nice!!
    I have 21 lbs to go & I am hoping to get there by New Years.
    We should make a weight loss challenge for the pit!!
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • lannerslanners Posts: 458
    I've lost 62lbs since February, 22 of them since August. I am following a local program called Food for Life, which just incorporates Canada's Food Guide into daily life, and our little breakfast trick. I have been walking quite a bit (until i recently hurt my leg...although i did manage to limp 2.5Km today for the Run for the Cure).

I still have a LONG way to go, but i'm happy that i can shop in regular stores now.

My big problem right now isn't losing the weight, it's making the connection between brain and body...I don't see myself as smaller. Sure most of my pants now fall off, but when i see pictures or look at myself in the mirror, i still look just as big, if not bigger than i was. I am hoping that one of these days i'll be able to see it.

Oh yeah, the breakfast trick...when you get up in the morning, IMMEDIATELY drink a tall glass of COLD water, then eat a citrus fruit. 30 minutes to an hour later, eat your breakfast. The cold water and the citrus fruit get your metabolism going.
    i. am. mine.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    This time last year i was 6'2'', 225.

Now i'm 185.

All i can say is work and coffee. A majority of my diet is liquid.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• THCTHC Posts: 525
    congrats man! i would recommend men's health magazine. its fricken awesome..i am telling you. worth every cent. great workouts, meals, everything..
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish