Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    I'm just starting Catcher in the Rye for the first time :oops:
    :? not sure why this book is as acclaimed as it is...
    It was unique at the time it was published. Also, very easy for teenagers to identify with much of it.
    i get that I guess. probably should have read it at 16 instead of 31, lol. The last chapter was sweet though
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I'm about to start I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    51K2X9OOCmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How is it?

i have read the first 6 chapters --- its really good -- gets a little slow when he goes back and talks about his early childhood but he is a good writer

I bought this on Monday, it's not what i expected but its very good, about half way through, there a cadence to it. This kid has had no luck.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Read a few chapters of Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions this week. I highly recommend digging in.
  • Options
    DarkKnightReturns.jpg

I've been on a Batman kick
    after discovering Smodcast, + eventually
    Fatman on Batman.

My boy recommended this to me-
    phenomenal story.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I'm sure this has been posted on here before, I just finished it and it's amazing. "The Friday Night Lights of youth basketball."

Play Their Hearts Out

A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine

by George Dohrmann
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Today, bought the complete works of Shakespeare, "The Great Shark Hunt" and "Songs of the Doomed", both by Hunter S. Thompson. They'll eventually get read...after the semester is over.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Recently finished the 2nd novel from Michael Palin (you know, the good Palin), "The Truth". It took a bit to get going, but about a third of the way in it starts to roll, and by the halfway mark, it gets pretty gripping. Keith Mabbut is a curious character - Michael crafted him well. We are told his secrets, but he still seems elusive. The narrative is enhanced by Michael's gift of observation. For those of you who have enjoyed his travel programmes, you'll understand what I mean by that.

Took me awhile to get to one of Douglas Coupland's more well-known novels, "Girlfriend in a Coma". I finally did last week, and ... underwhelmed. It starts off fantastically: great dialogue, a witty & snarky narrative, fun to spot The Smiths references beyond the book's title ... and then it flattened out into this new-age enlightenment thing. Meh.

Next up is Chuck Palahniuk's "Invisible Monsters." Nick Hornby's "How to Be Good" is on deck.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    RFTC wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    Just started 'Life', Keith Richards. Huge book, will take awhile.

good book, love that first story about the early 70's tour...

surprised so little stuff on wyman and taylor.
    Finished it night before last.. one of the best books I've ever read.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380

Wooo!! You're in for an amazing journey my friend....let us know what you think!! Best series I've ever read in my life.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Wooo!! You're in for an amazing journey my friend....let us know what you think!! Best series I've ever read in my life.

Good! I was agonizing on what to read next.

Still trying to keep all the characters straight, he throws them in willy nilly at the beginning.
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Still trying to keep all the characters straight, he throws them in willy nilly at the beginning.

Yeah it can be tough to keep up with...and he just keeps adding more characters as you get further in the series. The appendix at the back of the book is really helpful :thumbup:

Also...be prepared to throw your book at the wall a time or two.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Good Night Moon
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Good Night Moon

:lol:

A little heavy reading, eh?
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I wish I could erase my memory and read that series again.

I'm re-reading "The Stand", probably my favorite book ever. Either that or Storm of Swords.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Yeah it can be tough to keep up with...and he just keeps adding more characters as you get further in the series. The appendix at the back of the book is really helpful :thumbup:

Also...be prepared to throw your book at the wall a time or two.[/quote]

Ha!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I'm re-reading "The Stand", probably my favorite book ever. Either that or Storm of Swords.

Tell me about it!! I haven't done a re-read of The Stand in quite some time, I'll have to add it to my ever-growing list, good call. I'd probably still say that SoS is better though. You know I love me some SK but GRRM has taken the front seat methinks.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman.....Second time through, love this dude and this book
  • Options
    Nature, Ralph Waldo Emerson
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Crap, maybe I shouldn't be reading it on a tablet...
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

i think you could re read game of thrones cause im sure there are things that have slipped from your mind. and with this series you know you need to keep track of every person encountered.. just in case they show up later. so many 'minor' characters keep the fabric together who really cares about the main players? ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:lol: agreed. I did want to do that a couple times. Especially on Storm of Swords. I still need to read A Dance With Dragons.

I'm currently awaiting my copy of "Who I Am" to arrive. I am very anxious to read Pete Townshend's memoir
  • Options
    Aga81Aga81 Posts: 808
    Cecelia Ahern "If You could See Me Now" but next will be George R. R. Martin "A Game of Thrones"
    Some may ask, "Why act now? Why not wait? - The answer is clear. The world could wait no longer

04.07.2012 ~ Berlin
    31.07.2012 ~ London
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

i think you could re read game of thrones cause im sure there are things that have slipped from your mind. and with this series you know you need to keep track of every person encountered.. just in case they show up later. so many 'minor' characters keep the fabric together who really cares about the main players? ;)

I re-read each of the first 3 books when 4 came out and then 4 when 5 came out....will do 5 when 6 comes out. With all of the reading it is tough to keep everything straight otherwise.

Every year I read one of my favorites again -- the plot is so amazingly strange that I always forget some nuances that make me enjoy it that much more. Anyone read The Great & Secret Show by Clive Barker?
    It is a wild ride!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    13623901.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Who I Am, Pete Townshend's memoir
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Where the Red Fern Grows (a chapter a night with my boys)
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Look me in the eye
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Who I Am, Pete Townshend's memoir
    My copy just arrived in the mail yesterday. I have to finish reading "My Cross To Bear" from Greg Allman though before I'm going to start on that. I also got "Waging Heavy Peace" from Neil Young and "Comfortably Numb: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd."