Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Saw this today at Barnes and Noble and bought it immediately. Cannot wait to start reading it tonight. Just about done with "The Great Gatsby" then starting this.

141796584.JPG
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Only 56 pages of Tigana left.

I have three books i'm considering next so if anyone is a fan of fantasy and wants to chime in on any of them let me know.

Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
    The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
    Kushiels Dart- Jacquline Carey

They are in the order i'm considering them but you might be able to persuade me to read one of the others first over Perdido if you have a good argument :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    intodeep wrote:

I have three books i'm considering next so if anyone is a fan of fantasy and wants to chime in on any of them let me know.

They are in the order i'm considering them but you might be able to persuade me to read one of the others first over Perdido if you have a good argument :D

I have read the first two and while Perdido is very good (very good!) The Name of The Wind and its follow up are two of the best books I have read in a long time. When the 2nd book came out I went back and read TNOTW again and it didn't disappoint even a 2nd time. Very good characters.
    Also, Patrick Rothfuss is a kook - and I mean in a really good way. His blog is pretty good.

I have not read 'Dart' but will put it on a list - if you picked out the first 2 and also included that I imagine it is strong.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    What is the What by David Eggers.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    intodeep wrote:

I've only read "The Name of the Wind" from that list. I enjoyed it a lot. The second one was good too.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I need some help! I was talking to someone at an airport once about the GRRM books and he recommended a series to me - I'm almost positive he said the Amber series but I searched for that on my Nook and couldn't find anything...it's supposed to be an incredible fantasy series and after the author died someone else (sounded like his name was Benton Cord...??) wrote prequels to it. Does this ring any bells? I'd love to find it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Newch91 wrote:
    Saw this today at Barnes and Noble and bought it immediately. Cannot wait to start reading it tonight. Just about done with "The Great Gatsby" then starting this.

141796584.JPG

I'm finishing this book right now. Very cool behind the scenes stuff. It's amazing how many things had to happen for some of the biggest shows of all time just to get on the air.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

I have read the first two and while Perdido is very good (very good!) The Name of The Wind and its follow up are two of the best books I have read in a long time. When the 2nd book came out I went back and read TNOTW again and it didn't disappoint even a 2nd time. Very good characters.
    Also, Patrick Rothfuss is a kook - and I mean in a really good way. His blog is pretty good.

I have not read 'Dart' but will put it on a list - if you picked out the first 2 and also included that I imagine it is strong.
    Thanks for the response and thanks to rrivers too!

I did want to issue fair warning about Kushiel's Dart its a little different than the other two as it has a fair bit of sex i it i guess. I generally don't read books that use that as a central theme, but i guess the world they live in it is intrigal to the plot. It is a fantasy book. I'm interested in it because i've read good things about it by people who's opinion i trust and it was also on the NPR top 100 fantasy and sci fi books of all time. So i don't think it is trashy fiction, but i wouldn't want you to run out and get it without having fair warning :)

i'm going to have to make a choice here soon. glad to hear they are both good. Tigana has been a slight let down as i read good things about it to and although it is good it is not great. So i want the next book to kick ass
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I need some help! I was talking to someone at an airport once about the GRRM books and he recommended a series to me - I'm almost positive he said the Amber series but I searched for that on my Nook and couldn't find anything...it's supposed to be an incredible fantasy series and after the author died someone else (sounded like his name was Benton Cord...??) wrote prequels to it. Does this ring any bells? I'd love to find it!
    Prequals and not finishing it? hmmm
    I was going to say perhaps the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan which was finished by Brandon Sanderson.
    I only read the first book of that and it was fun, but i was not in a hurry to dive into the series.

I'm not sure about a series called the amber series though. Hopefully someone can help.

Here you go
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber

Has to be this one The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelanzy and later by John Gregory Betancourt
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Weab76Weab76 Posts: 55
    Skagboys by Irvine Welsh

A prequel to Trainspotting, pretty good stuff so far.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I was going to say perhaps the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan which was finished by Brandon Sanderson.
    I only read the first book of that and it was fun, but i was not in a hurry to dive into the series.

I'm not sure about a series called the amber series though. Hopefully someone can help.

Here you go

Has to be this one The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelanzy and later by John Gregory Betancourt

!!! I think that's it!! It says there's another part written by Corwin(close enough to Cord I guess, lol!)!!! YESSSS!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Here you go

!!! I think that's it!! It says there's another part written by Corwin(close enough to Cord I guess, lol!)!!! YESSSS!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are welcome. Let us know how it is if you read it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    intodeep wrote:
    I did want to issue fair warning about Kushiel's Dart its a little different than the other two as it has a fair bit of sex i it i guess. I generally don't read books that use that as a central theme, but i guess the world they live in it is intrigal to the plot. It is a fantasy book. I'm interested in it because i've read good things about it by people who's opinion i trust and it was also on the NPR top 100 fantasy and sci fi books of all time. So i don't think it is trashy fiction, but i wouldn't want you to run out and get it without having fair warning :)

i'm going to have to make a choice here soon. glad to hear they are both good. Tigana has been a slight let down as i read good things about it to and although it is good it is not great. So i want the next book to kick ass

Yeah when I added to my Amazon list this morning I noted that might be the case. Not normally something I look for but I will give anything a read if it comes recommended and this had lots of good write ups that I read. If I dont like it I can always push it to the half read pile.

Good call on the Chronicles of Amber; just saw the question and knew the answer. I have it but have not read it yet, the collection is a monster sized book. At some point I will crack it open.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:

141796584.JPG

I'm finishing this book right now. Very cool behind the scenes stuff. It's amazing how many things had to happen for some of the biggest shows of all time just to get on the air.

Can't wait to start it! I'm sure they talked about sticking with "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" in the beginning.

I finished Gatsby last night and took a sidestep and started to read Ginsberg's "Howl" on my break during work. About to finish that up and finally start "Top of the Rock".
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    riotgrl wrote:
    a clash of kings - george r r martin.

Ooh, I've heard that is really good. Let me know how you like it.

im only 110 pp in but i love it already(as i knew i would). i am a massive fan of this period of time... or suggested period of time. i love the honour, the treachery. i love the human frailty, the love of mothers, the love of sons for their familys honour and the sense of balance. i love the feeling i sense for certain characters.. jon snow, bran stark, aryan stark, cersei lannister and her brother jaime. and most of all the sense i get from tyrian lannister and that perhaps he is the most regal of his family. i also feel that catelyn tully is not as strong as i wish her to be.. but let us remember i am not far into the series. there are characters id love to be proven wrong about and only time will tell.

oh and there is doubt i would recommend this book.... this series of books to anyone who is a reader.

on page 512 now.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    The Deeds of My Fathers by David Paul Pope. 12 pages deep, oh yeah!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    105 pages into 2nd book of 50 shades. eh.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    105 pages into 2nd book of 50 shades. eh.

you will be fast-forwarding through book 3. don't know if I'm just old but all that sex got really old.

on a side note---the super smelling body wash keeps coming up and I'm trying to make something that sticks around like the stuff in the book. :) stay tuned!
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Mythology, Edith Hamilton
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    This Is A Call: The Life And Times Of Dave Grohl by Paul Brannigan

Not bad so far. Great info on the DC punk scene in the early to mid 80s.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    rcs wrote:
    This Is A Call: The Life And Times Of Dave Grohl by Paul Brannigan

Not bad so far. Great info on the DC punk scene in the early to mid 80s.

i read this one last year. not one OMG! revelation unsurprisingly.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    In the Woods by Tana French... taking me a little to get used to her style, but I'm just starting and only in the 2nd chapter... hoping this is a good one since she has a few sequels that follow. I'm a big fan of the Irish Noir... :geek:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    .... and now onto a storm of swords: steel and snow - george martin.

thank goodness this ones only 570 odd pp. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    In the Woods by Tana French... taking me a little to get used to her style, but I'm just starting and only in the 2nd chapter... hoping this is a good one since she has a few sequels that follow. I'm a big fan of the Irish Noir... :geek:

I liked In The Woods and bought the follow up but somehow it remains in the giant stack of books I keep bypassing as I order/read more. Let us know if you read the 2nd one and like it.

Just started:
    611itAI%2B8LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259

I liked In The Woods and bought the follow up but somehow it remains in the giant stack of books I keep bypassing as I order/read more. Let us know if you read the 2nd one and like it.

Just started:
    611itAI%2B8LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Probably won't be for a while... like you I just went on a book buying spree last night... so it might be a while until I get to The Likeness.... time will tell though, if this book really sparks my interest the follow up might make a few jumps in line! Not that I'm a proponent of jumping in front of others in line! ;)
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Tim Page - Page After Page

71k3gAmEmoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and war, were the things Page cared about most as a freelance photographer in Vietnam, and he managed to combine all four passions in a wild, exhilarating, scary party that lasted from the early '60s into the '70s. He saw more combat than did the average soldier and sustained so many wounds that had he been in the military he'd have deserved a chest-full of Purple Hearts. He claims to have had "the best time anyone could want to have." The postwar years were less jolly. Suffering from drug addiction and post-traumatic stress disorder, Page plunged in and out of poverty and despair, and underwent a series of operations to repair his damaged body. He writes here in a feverish, fast-forward shorthand style, telling a story that is alternately hilarious and heartrending. Readers of his memoir will understand why he has long been referred to as "the legendary Tim Page."
  • Options
    a storm of swords: blood and gold - george r r martin.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ElEl Posts: 139
    The second one from the Millenium trilogy. The books are really weird, almost nothing happens for a couple of hundred pages, yet I find myself to read them in one breath, they are really well written as for me.
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    Just started Fat Kid Rules The World. Look forward to seeing the movie too.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.