Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jordn6971 wrote:
    and here we go... a dance with dragons - george r r martin

Just started Feast for Crows. Can't get over how good Storm of Swords was, best book I've read in a long time.

george martin says the time frames of a feast of crows and a dance with dragons run parallel. so what im reading now in '...dragons' is happening at the same time basically as what i read in '... crows'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    'Im ok you're ok' A Transactional Analysis delf help book :D
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    MissJam81 wrote:
    'Im ok you're ok' A Transactional Analysis delf help book :D
    Wow, no idea that one was still kicking around!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvVFeCgLwD33tQ_oBLZp4SR6ogsXZP1JveuQmnu0e_FlXGTtAebwzq1XaO

During a notorious career with the Detroit Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks, Bob Probert racked up points, penalty minutes and bar bills, establishing himself as one of the most feared enforcers in the history of the NHL. On the ice, he was a fan favourite. He backed up his teammates one hundred percent, taking on the toughest guys of his era. Off the ice, Probert played hard too. Over his pro career he went through ten stays in rehab, two NHL suspensions, a jail sentence for carrying cocaine across the border and a near fatal motorcycle crash. When he died unexpectedly of a heart attack on July 5, 2010, at the age of forty-five, he was hard at work on his memoir with Kirstie McLellan Day, co-author with Theo Fleury of the blockbuster Playing with Fire. Probert wanted to tell his story in his own words to set the record straight.

Tough Guy is a gripping journey, full of jaw-dropping stories about Bob's on-ice battles and his reckless off-ice encounters with drugs, alcohol, customs officials, police, courts and the NHL. Probert's opponents often feared him, but they always respected the man beneath the bloodied jersey. With his unique sense of humour and inside stories, Probert gives us a first-hand account of his adrenalin-fuelled life as the toughest fighter in the NHL.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    gunter1976 wrote:
    and here we go... a dance with dragons - george r r martin

Would you suggest this series to someone who is usually is not into the whole fantasy lark?

I'd love to give these a try, even for the sheer magnitude and scope of it, but for some reason it still puts me off a bit, let alone I can not imagine finding the time to read through these :lol:

Still, let me know if I should consider these,

Much obliged,

You should consider them. I'm not into fantasy and I loved them, especially the first 3. The 3rd might be the best book I ever read. They are known as being fantasy books for people not into fantasy.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    rrivers wrote:
    You should consider them. I'm not into fantasy and I loved them, especially the first 3. The 3rd might be the best book I ever read. They are known as being fantasy books for people not into fantasy.

Okay then, I guess I will look into these :)
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    i would definitely recommend this series to anyone who is a reader. if youre not into fantasy it wont matter cause youll soon be reading them as historical novels... even if westeros doesnt really exist. there are supernatural elements and in my mind i dont class that as fantasy...

Thanks, I am sure I will check these out then sooner or later.
    i guess the presence of dragons could be considered fantasy but it doesnt take much to look past them.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm finally starting Fifty Shades Freed... :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Death in the City of Light by David King.

It's a true story about a serial killer in Nazi-occupied Paris. One of the most bizarre stories I've ever read. Every time I think it can't get any weirder, it does. :wtf:
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I just finished Perdido Street Station. I liked it thanks to those that helped persuade me to read it on here. The world was so crazy! Dragged a bit in the middle and i wished there was a bit more character development but I still enjoyed it. His writing style is a little too wordy for my personal taste too, but I will eventually check out The Scar by the author too.

Not now though i need a break from that style
    I'm pretty sure i'm going to read Kushiel's Dart next although i'm craving some science fiction so i'm kicking the tires on Old Man's War too. Old Man's War is a nice 300 page read compared to Kushiels Dart's 1000.

I'm saving the Patrick Rothfuss books for the Winter. I think his books are closer to traditional fantasy and i want to read them around the time the Hobbit comes out to get me in the mood for it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Finished Ace Atkins' Crossroad Blues... Good debut story, not great, but I'm still interested in reading his next 3 in the series. I liked the intertwining of Robert Johnson's history and the present day story of trying to find his lost recordings. Definitely set the mood with some Robert Johnson and other blues albums as I read this book.

Now onto Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter... a little behind the times on this one, but want to read it before I see the movie. Liking it so far, only 70 pages in though.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Life, Death & Meaning
  • Options

It's a true story about a serial killer in Nazi-occupied Paris. One of the most bizarre stories I've ever read. Every time I think it can't get any weirder, it does. :wtf:

that does sound interesting
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I enjoy anything John Grisham does

The-Litigators-audiobook-John-Grisham-e1331401455860.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    The Letter - Marie Tillman
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    The Story of B by Daniel Quinn
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:

that does sound interesting
    Just finished it. The story gets a little bogged down in detail occasionally but it's fascinating how many different elements are at play. There's a brutal and prolific murderer, the Nazi occupiers, the Parisian underworld, the Resistance, the liberation of Paris, and the French criminal justice system. It also shows a side of the occupation that I'd never imagined--the number of people who were able to exploit and benefit from the misery of others.

I can't believe I'd never heard of this story before. I'm sure that a lot of events get buried in the chaos of war but most of them aren't as strange and horrible as this.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The Boy with the Cuckoo Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu

An adult fairy tale about boy with a defective heart that is powered by a cuckoo clock,he falls in love with a dancer but he faces death if he loves as his cuckoo clock heart cannot sustain the power and pain that love brings.
    Very interesting book,not long into it but loving it so far.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013
    riotgrl wrote:
    The Story of B by Daniel Quinn

had very mixed feelings about this one, i agree with the ideas presented in the book, not the delivery, but some of the 'facts' are nothing short of propaganda. worth reading for sure but i dont hold it to the 'life changing book' so many claim it is.
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    Just started Broken Harbor by Tana French.
    I win.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    11/22/63, Stephen King, the paperback, didn't think it was going to as long and as big as it is; I miss when books would fit into a cargo shorts' pocket. I guess I have a use for my Vitalogy bag now.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    11/22/63, Stephen King, the paperback, didn't think it was going to as long and as big as it is; I miss when books would fit into a cargo shorts' pocket. I guess I have a use for my Vitalogy bag now.

Great book.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    rrivers wrote:
    marcos wrote:

Great book.

Gah I still haven't finished it! I got about halfway through, then picked up ADWD and am going to finish that before I finish 11/22/63. Then after that I still have Wind Through the Keyhole...ahh I'm so backlogged!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    marcos wrote:

Great book.

Gah I still haven't finished it! I got about halfway through, then picked up ADWD and am going to finish that before I finish 11/22/63. Then after that I still have Wind Through the Keyhole...ahh I'm so backlogged!

All three of those are quality reads, but I'd give 11/22/63 the nod as the best. The other two dragged in places. 11/22/63 was King in top form.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    All three of those are quality reads, but I'd give 11/22/63 the nod as the best. The other two dragged in places. 11/22/63 was King in top form.

Hmm interesting! I have to agree though that ADWD is dragging. I whipped through the first 4 books and now something is just not enticing me like it used to. I think I'm irritated that he keeps changing the name of everyone for chapter starters (how many names can we use for Arya or Theon? :roll: ) I'm finding that when I start a new chapter I completely forgot how they ended up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the series, but it just seems like it's getting too big, you know?

Can't wait to finish 11/22/63, I left off at a pretty suspenseful part. Maybe I'll just finish that first :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I need a good one to read. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I need a good one to read. Any suggestions?

What kind of genre are you into?
  • Options

11/22/63 was awesome, couldn't put it down
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2