brainofPJ wrote:
    most overrated conference
    they're number 3 thats not overated.

sec
    pac 10
    big ten
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    dude, SIU, indiana, and northwestern are nowhere near the caliber of team michigan was supposed to be. if indiana had gotten dismantled by a d-iaa team i'd not have batted an eye. ditto for the other 2 mentioned. but michigan was supposed to be a dia national championship contender. that's what makes this so shocking.

No shit? Michigan is better than SIU, IU or NU? Wow, thanks for the update. I never said this wasn't shocking to most people out there. What I said was Appy State is no joke and they've been the best team in the FCS for a while now.

All the top FCS teams have quality athletes, just less of them. I think the scholarship number for Football Bowl Subdivision schools is 85. FCS schools get 63.

FBS schools have more talent but the gap is getting smaller, especially if you consider more rigorous academic standards for the big-timers. FCS schools routinely get guys who couldn't cut it academically or socially at Big Time U.

And before you tell me something else I know, yes, programs such as Michigan get top-rated talent that FCS schools such as Appy can't get. But I really don't think that people understand that good football is good football and when you take the best team in FCS football with nothing to lose and put it up against an overrated team that may or may not have thought, "Psssh, please, we're Michigan. Fuck those guys," well, then that's what you get.

Big upset, but not for the people who have followed this Appy State team for a while now. The boys are good, regardless of what subdivision they call home.

Score one for the little guy.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    reditalian wrote:
    this thread should be shutdown and all of you kicked out of here.
    hahahahha

GO BUCKS!!!!!!
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • so lemme get this right....

michigan got beat....in what could be the biggest upset in college football history......

and notre fucking dame got their asses kicked too.....

today was a good day.....hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

sec
    pac 10
    big ten

The Pac-10 is not the number 2 conference dude, sorry. Big East beats them top to bottom.

And another thing...

Anyone hear that gushing sound? That's Michigan's national championship hopes goin down the drain. OUCH!!!
    "Hey I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind..."
  • As a Michigan fan, I had a funny feeling today when I went online to check the college football scores. I opened the ESPN.com page and saw that black helmet with the App. St. "A" on it and I just about freaked. I didn't even have to read a headline, I just knew. I'd been out all weekend and this was the first I'd heard of it. And it was weird, cause just before I opened it, the thought "What if Michigan lost today? Just what if?" passed through. Thankfully, I'm in Australia for the next 3 months so I couldn't watch it and I won't have to hear about it unless I want to.

I remember coming home from college for winter break last December and watching the D1-AA National Title game out of boredom, and walking away very impressed by App. St. Very fast, big and athletic, a little cocky but could back it up. Then, I remember a month later, seeing UM's schedule for the '07 season for the first time, and I saw them and was instantly nervous. Honestly, I was. I didn't really understand why a team(UM) with so much(just about everything) to lose and absolutely nothing to gain, would schedule this team to open a season. Anyway, I put it in the back of my mind, until today.

This game was such a bad set-up for the Wolverines, and perfect for App. State. Never having played a 1-AA team before, UM chooses the 2-time defending National Champs to open up a season in which they had legit title hopes themselves with the offensive weapons they have. App. State, a team riding high after 2 rings and a 14-game winning streak, a team eager to prove they can play a Division up and just hungry for the opportunity. They have a fast, mobile QB, something Michigan cannot beat. I.e., Troy Smith, Vince Young. Michigan had to replace 7 great players on D. Not just starters, most were college stars. And besides the QB, Michigan's D just can't handle speed. Just not a good combination for Michigan. And yes, UM has three elite seniors back, but they can't win the games on their own. Although, from what I've read, Hart did his part and I'm sure Long did fine and Manningham is good. It's Henne. I remember when he came on as a freshman, I thought, "Is he goin to start all 4 years? 3 more years with this guy? Hope he improves." And he has, but not to an elite level where he should be after 3 full years of starting at QB for Michigan. Basically John Navarre. And, plain and simple, Carr hasn't won a BIG game since the '03 O-State game. And even then, Michigan had two losses. He's a terrible gameday coach and this was just an upset in the making.

But hats off to App. State. With all that said above, there was still no way I thought this would happen. Never. I never could've predicted this. I figured at the very worst, they'd play with UM for 3 quarters, keep it close, but UM would ultimatley win the game. I was completely wrong. This is a tremendous upset for college football. From a media perspective, it's the biggest b/c everyone loves the underdog. From my perspective, a former college football player and lifetime follower of the game, I can't call it the biggest ever because it would be disrespectful to App. St. Plus, it was the season opener. UM might go on to win 5 games this year and it will be more of the biggest preseason ranking blunder in history. ASU are a legit team and deserve to be in D1-A. They play like they did today and they can beat a lot of 1-A teams. They have it all, right up to the coaching. I hope they run the table and win 3 straight. As for Michigan, they don't have the coaching and I have no clue how this season will turn out. I could see them possibly losing 4-5 games, and I could see them possibly winning the Big 10. Either way, Carr is done after this year and they will have make some major rebuilding plans for the program.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Juberoo wrote:
    hahahahha

GO BUCKS!!!!!!

we may have found the only ground we have in common.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

sec
    pac 10
    big ten

that's exactly why they are overrated

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    The banjos will be a-pluckin' , and the cousins will be a-kissin' in the Appalachians this weekend!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    so lemme get this right....

michigan got beat....in what could be the biggest upset in college football history......

and notre fucking dame got their asses kicked too.....

today was a good day.....hehehehehe
    Yes, it was......That Tennessee lost is another gem of the day. Too bad Kansas State couldn't pull off the upset.

Can't wait to see the hype for the Michigan/N.D. game...:rolleyes: :p

I caught a bit of Lou "I talk like Mushmouth from the Fat Albert cartoon" Holtz on ESPN the other night.......He said this was a sure victory for N.D. Loser.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • honestly, i thought the person who told me was joking. they expect me to be round to take my licks for the osu-mich game, they better be here for this humiliation ;) though, after losing to the team from deliverance, i suspect they might be slightly overconfident.

I'm here, let me have it soulsinging.....hahaha
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    OffStuGoes wrote:
    The Pac-10 is not the number 2 conference dude, sorry. Big East beats them top to bottom.
    on what planet is the big east stronger than the pac 10?
    brainofPJ wrote:
    that's exactly why they are overrated
    im all for no rankings until mid october.

preseason polls mean nothing.

btw it was fun at the penn state game yesterday after psu dispatched its cupcake the thousands of fans watching the end of the michigan game on the tvs at the concession stands.

god knows its been like 13 years since psu beat michigan at home *sigh*
  • we may have found the only ground we have in common.

Please don't gang up on me....hahahaha
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    they suck lol

go PENN ST
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    on what planet is the big east stronger than the pac 10?

Well first off, in last years bowls, the Big East went a perfect 5-0, beating teams from the Big 12, ACC, and SEC. The Pac-10 however, went 3-3 and only the powers of USC, OSU, and Cal took home trophies. USC's BCS win was against not a conference winner, but Big Ten runner up Michigan, while the other two teams both won against Big 12 opponents (the Big 12 being arguably the weakest BCS conference right now).

When you look at this year, the Pac-10's top three teams' rankings of 1, 12, and 14 compare very nicely to the Big East's top three coming in at 3, 10, and 16. Everyone knows that Louisville and West Virginia are undoubtably national championship contenders if either go undefeated. However, Cal and UCLA are not often considered in that conversation. While you may argue that the Pac-10 has two very good teams that aren't even ranked, the Big East can counter that with South Florida (a real sleeper to do damage) and Cincinatti, a fast rising program who could crack the top 25 with a good start. When you compare the bottom three of both conferences, UConn and Pitt are seriously better than Arizona or Washington State. Pitt has serious talent that cannot be denied. That leaves Syracuse and Stanford to pretty much cancel each other out, although in a head to head match up I'd be gunnin for the Orange (In recent years Stanford has been embarassing). I think I make my case very well for the Big East. Watch these guys play, you shouldn't neglect them.
    OffStuGoes wrote:
    Well first off, in last years bowls, the Big East went a perfect 5-0, beating teams from the Big 12, ACC, and SEC. The Pac-10 however, went 3-3 and only the powers of USC, OSU, and Cal took home trophies. USC's BCS win was against not a conference winner, but Big Ten runner up Michigan, while the other two teams both won against Big 12 opponents (the Big 12 being arguably the weakest BCS conference right now).

When you look at this year, the Pac-10's top three teams' rankings of 1, 12, and 14 compare very nicely to the Big East's top three coming in at 3, 10, and 16. Everyone knows that Louisville and West Virginia are undoubtably national championship contenders if either go undefeated. However, Cal and UCLA are not often considered in that conversation. While you may argue that the Pac-10 has two very good teams that aren't even ranked, the Big East can counter that with South Florida (a real sleeper to do damage) and Cincinatti, a fast rising program who could crack the top 25 with a good start. When you compare the bottom three of both conferences, UConn and Pitt are seriously better than Arizona or Washington State. Pitt has serious talent that cannot be denied. That leaves Syracuse and Stanford to pretty much cancel each other out, although in a head to head match up I'd be gunnin for the Orange (In recent years Stanford has been embarassing). I think I make my case very well for the Big East. Watch these guys play, you shouldn't neglect them.
    pitt is the fucking joke at a cocktail party has anyone fucked up that program more than dave W?
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    though, after losing to the team from deliverance, i suspect they might be slightly overconfident.

*banjos playing in the background*

"That boy sure got a purdy mouth."

Great upset.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    pitt is the fucking joke at a cocktail party has anyone fucked up that program more than dave W?

Yeah, but did you think two years ago that they could only be 6th best in the Big East? We're talking about a team that's typically decent. Now theyre at the cellar of the conference.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    App. ST. had a good game plan......spread attack. Everyone knows that if you run a spread attack against michigan you will score points. USC does it everytime they beat their ass........OSU has done it to perfection.

This loss really exposes what has been going on with the coaching staff for a decade now. They don't make a adjustments and can't gameplan for different types of offensive attacks.

Michigan prides themselves on running the ball and stopping the run and feel that this in itself should be effective enough to win. Nevermind the years where they had more recieving talent and should have thrown more.....or the teams like OSU last year with 4 NFL recievers and a hiesman QB that will just spread out the field and shred you.

Just pathetic....

I think Michigan gave up over 200 yards rushing last year to Ohio State as well. English's head spins when he doesn't see teams run a power-I every down.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    OUCH!

Thud! Michigan drops out of AP Top 25

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Thud! The final fallout from a disastrous opening weekend for Michigan came Tuesday, when the Wolverines dropped all the way out of The Associated Press Top 25, an unprecedented fall from No. 5 to unranked. Since the AP poll expanded to 25 teams in 1989, no team has taken a bigger tumble in one week.

After an opening college football weekend filled with blowouts and highlighted by Appalachian State's stunning 34-32 upset of Michigan at the Big House, there was little notable movement in the Top 25 other than the Wolverines.

Southern California was voted No. 1 by the media panel, but the Trojans lost some support. USC received 62 first-place votes in the preseason poll. A lackluster 38-10 victory over Idaho led to the Trojans dropping to 59 first-place votes.

No. 2 LSU picked up those first-place votes, receiving five. No. 3 West Virginia received one first-place vote, the same as it did in the preseason.

No. 4 Florida and No. 5 Wisconsin moved up two spots. Oklahoma, tied for fifth, moved up three spots. No. 7 Texas fell three spots after slogging through a 21-13 home victory over Arkansas State.

No. 9 Virginia Tech held its place and plays at LSU on Saturday.

No. 10 California moved up two spots after a 45-31 victory over Tennessee. The Volunteers dropped eight spots to No. 23.

Florida State also fell out of the rankings. The Seminoles were 19th heading into their season opener at Clemson and lost 24-18 in the Bowden Bowl.

Clemson moved into the rankings at No. 25 and Georgia Tech also moved into the Top 25. The Yellow Jackets were 21st after winning at Notre Dame 33-3.

As for Michigan, the Wolverines became the first ranked team from Division I-A, now known as the Bowl Subdivision, to lose to a team from I-AA, now known as the Championship Subdivision.

"It hurts because you don't like losing," Michigan linebacker Chris Graham said Monday. "But how far can you hold your head down? I'm not holding my head down at all. You've got to move on forward."

Michigan received 39 points from the media voters in the Top 25, including a 16th place vote by Wayne Phillips from The Greenville (Tenn.) Sun.

"I still think Michigan has a good football team," he said. "I think they're worthy of being ranked. They may prove me wrong."

Phillips said he gave Michigan some leeway because he's very familiar with Appalachian State, the two-time defending I-AA champions.

"They're a pretty darn good football team," he said. "If Michigan had lost to some of the other patsies some of the big teams played I could see dropping them out."

Appalachian State is not eligible for the AP Top 25, which only ranks Bowl Subdivision teams. The Wolverines host Oregon on Saturday.

Before Michigan's fall, Notre Dame held the ignominious record for largest drop in the rankings in the Top 25-era. The Fighting Irish dropped 16 spots — from No. 9 to No. 25 — after losing to Northwestern 17-15 on Sept. 3, 1995.

Texas dropped 15 spots in 1997, going from ninth to 24th after a 66-3 loss to UCLA in September 1997. Louisville also fell 15 spots — 11th to unranked — in September 2005 after losing to South Florida.

The highest ranked team to fall from the poll after one loss was No. 2 Oklahoma in 1959, when the AP was ranking the top 20 teams. Later that season Army went from No. 4 to unranked.

In 1950, Tennessee went from No. 4 to unranked in October and in 1960 Illinois fall out of the ranking from No. 4.

In the latest poll, No. 11 Georgia moved up two spots and was followed by Ohio State, UCLA, Penn State and Rutgers.

No. 16 Nebraska jumped four places. Auburn is 17th and Arkansas, TCU and Hawaii round out the first 20.

The final five are Georgia Tech, Boise State, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Clemson.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070904/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_college_fb_poll_6
  • It's OK. My boys will run the table the rest of the year !!

GO BLUE !!!!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    It's OK. My boys will run the table the rest of the year !!

GO BLUE !!!!

they're going to lose to oregon this weekend.
  • they're going to lose to oregon this weekend.

Bet's ?

• Bet's ?
    im with soulsinging.....

MY OREGON DUCKS WILL BEAT THE WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

quack quack quack.............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Bet's ?

whatcha got in mind?
  • im with soulsinging.....

MY OREGON DUCKS WILL BEAT THE WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

quack quack quack.............

that's not get crazy

Michigan hasn't turned into Temple overnight

• whatcha got in mind?

If Michigan loses I will buy you one of everything off the McDonald's Dollar Menu

:D

• thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Oregon is Appalacian State with talent. I say 42-35 Ducks. They couldn't stop a running QB at either OSU or App. St. now they have one of the fastest, and he is 6'4 with a cannon arm. Have fun Michigan.
    If Michigan loses I will buy you one of everything off the McDonald's Dollar Menu

where do i collect?