Why is St. Patricks Day so big?

13»

Comments

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    In ireland they go to church,eat with there families,and go to the bar's (pub's)to get trashed,...No parades,No turning the fountain's green,No cheap ass lil plastic hat's that say kiss me i'm irish..Our country eat's shit like this up..
    :confused: somebody coulda told us. We don't go to church... we have 'dinner' in the nearest acceptable food place to the pub (usually fish and chips ;) ) and then we go to the bar and get trashed... the parade's only for the kids and the tourists... we turn everything green and LOVE wearing cheap plastic hats saying kiss me I'm irish.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    Jennytree wrote:
    In Ireland, its a pretty big thing. The kids get a break from school, get dressed in the best and go to the parades (which there are hundreds of, by the way). For me, t'was nothing religious about it. Also, Paddys Day isn't especially about drink - we get just as excited about other Bank Holiday weekends where we have the Monday off work and can have a few on Sun night. So, Easter, May weekend, August weekend, Xmas - we all drink as much then, its in our culture.

Other countries have just blown it totally out of proportion.
    True dat... good Friday's actually probably the biggest drinking day of the year... simply cos all the pubs are closed :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Is it just another excuse to drink?

It's just about some dude who spread christianity to a pagan island in Europe.

I don't think I've ever done anything to acknowledge it.
    pfffffft who needs an EXXXCUSE to drink??!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    I don't understand why paddy's day seems to actually OFFEND people :confused: that's like me saying 'why do people actually celebrate the 4th of July or Bastille day?' it's stupid... I don't celebrate them cos they're not part of my culture or my life but I don't wonder why OTHERS do :D pffft!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I don't understand why paddy's day seems to actually OFFEND people :confused: that's like me saying 'why do people actually celebrate the 4th of July or Bastille day?' it's stupid... I don't celebrate them cos they're not part of my culture or my life but I don't wonder why OTHERS do :D pffft!

yeah it's weird!

I love how on st paddy's day everyone is just out to have a good time- the pub is filled with people of all ages and types and everyone's just getting drunk and meeting their neighbors. it's the one night a year I'll go to a bar by myself cuz I know I'll find friendly people.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

Let me help you in your thirst for knowledge.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/89-saint-patricks-day/

"Stuff White People Like"

#89 Saint Patrick’s Day
    March 16, 2008 by clander

Normally if someone were to wake up at 7:00 in the morning, take the day off work, and get drunk at a bar before 10:00 a.m., they would be called an alcoholic, and not in the artistic, edgy way that white people are so fond of.

On March 17th, however, this exact same activity is called celebrating St. Patrick’s day. This very special white holiday recognizes Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland who helped to bring Catholicism to the Emerald Isle. His ascetic life is celebrated every year by white people drinking large amounts of Irish-themed alcohol and listening to the Dropkick Murphys.

It is also the day of the year when you can make the most gains in your social and professional relationship with white people.

Most of the time, white people consider celebrations of European heritage to be racist unless they omit large swathes of the 16th through 20th centuries. But since the Irish never engaged in colonialism and were actually oppressed it is considered acceptable and encouraged to celebrate their ancestry. For this reason, 100% of white people are proud to claim that they are somewhat Irish.

A big part of St. Patrick’s Day is having white people feel particularly upset at the oppression of their ancestors that has in no way trickled down to them. If you find yourself talking with a white person who tells you about how their great grandfather was oppressed by both the English and the Americans, it is strongly recommended that you lend a sympathetic ear and shake your head in disbelief. It is never considered acceptable to say: “but you’re white now, so what’s the problem?”

It is also worth nothing that on this day, there is always one trump card that never fails to gain respect and acclaim. When you are sitting at an Irish bar and someone orders a round of Guinness, you must take a single sip and while the other white people are savoring their drink, you say: “mmmm, I know it sounds cliche, but it really is true. Guinness just tastes better in Ireland.”

This comment will elicit an immediate and powerful response of people agreeing with your valuable insight. This statement also has the additional benefit of humiliating the members of your party who have not been to Ireland (and thus cannot confirm this proclamation). Having not traveled to Ireland and consumed a beer that is widely available in their hometown and throughout the world, they will immediately be perceived as provincial, uncultured, and inferior to you.

It is also strongly encouraged that you memorize the lyrics to “Jump Around.” It will come in handy.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • fanch, didn't you post this same article in another thread?

while I find most of stuffwhitepeoplelike blogs humorous, I think this one is a big stretch, and not very funny.
    yeah it's weird!

I love how on st paddy's day everyone is just out to have a good time- the pub is filled with people of all ages and types and everyone's just getting drunk and meeting their neighbors. it's the one night a year I'll go to a bar by myself cuz I know I'll find friendly people.
    Absolutely... I'm quite amused at the whole being offended thing though to be honest :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

thank god all the trolls are home sleeping :)
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    http://www.bellapalermo.com/HolidayImages/ChristmasRolls.jpg

this is what we eat

look at these bad boys

ZIPPOLI!!!.........mmmmm, yeah we have them all over the italian bakeries too in T.O.......but here we don't necessarily "celebrate" San Giuseppe....we just bring a box of these goodies over to our relatives who are named after the day.
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ZIPPOLI!!!.........mmmmm, yeah we have them all over the italian bakeries too in T.O.......but here we don't necessarily "celebrate" San Giuseppe....we just bring a box of these goodies over to our relatives who are named after the day.

as long as you got the goodies......... :)
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    as long as you got the goodies......... :)

Unfortunately, my name is not Giuseppe so I don't get them bought to me.....I just buy a box and treat myself to them anyways.....:D
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    beer, corned beef and tourney

what more could you want
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Jennytree wrote:
    In Ireland, its a pretty big thing. The kids get a break from school, get dressed in the best and go to the parades (which there are hundreds of, by the way). For me, t'was nothing religious about it. Also, Paddys Day isn't especially about drink - we get just as excited about other Bank Holiday weekends where we have the Monday off work and can have a few on Sun night. So, Easter, May weekend, August weekend, Xmas - we all drink as much then, its in our culture.

Other countries have just blown it totally out of proportion.

absolutely. given our *melting pot* roots...i personally think where the 'going overboard' stems from. everyone wants to celebrate, pay homage to their ancestry/heritage.....take pride in their family's 'old country' as it were. i think we americans do that for almost ALL culturally-centered holidays. hell, the puerto rican day parade in NY has reeached epic proportions, and for me anyway...that is a rather 'new' holiday. cinco de mayo, as mentioned, has also grown quite *big* here, etc. i think as more and more immigrants from various countries/cultures make their home somewhere new, all these traditions/holidays take new importance/significance to those who are a part of the heritage.

I once read that St. Patrick's day in the US was originally the 18th-19th century equivalent of gay pride day. Back in those days Irish immigrants were basically considered a lower class of citizen who were looked down upon. So March 17th was that one day of the year that the irish could have parades and actually take pride in their heritage in public for everyone else to see (like what a gay pride parade is today). It was never really as big in ireland, since everyone there was irish citizens and they were already surrounded by their own people.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? :|

:| <---- beer just hit ya, didn't it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Wow, this thread is old.. I've had a few kickass St. Patty's since..

Although tonight will be quiet. The lady's coming over to cook me dinner.. hopefully dessert too. ;)

Not irish, just an alcoholic. 8-)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    my mom just walked by the parade and she said their was 100's of young kids throwing up all over the street....lovely day it is :roll:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    my mom just walked by the parade and she said their was 100's of young kids throwing up all over the street....lovely day it is :roll:

Kids need to learn how to drink. It's not a race. 8-)

as if you have never puked from drinking too much.

what day do you suggest we celebrate????
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:

yea but this is a puke-fest day

everywhere you turn is throw up

ehhh im going straight home
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    :? sounds a bit more like food poisoning to me... or some kinda outbreak :shock: . I can honestly say I have never ever ever in my entire life (even when Ireland beat England on Paddys day) seen 100's of young kids throwing up all over the street :lol: I'm thinking somebody's exaggerating a little!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Bubbles wrote:

i have only puked once from drinking. and i don't even blame the alcohol. i think it was from the chewing tobacco juices i swallowed. it was the first time i tried it, and i didn't know any better. :oops:
    :? sounds a bit more like food poisoning to me... or some kinda outbreak :shock: . I can honestly say I have never ever ever in my entire life (even when Ireland beat England on Paddys day) seen 100's of young kids throwing up all over the street :lol: I'm thinking somebody's exaggerating a little!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S7kg1IhZ7M :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183

I like the color green and way back I was part Irish. :mrgreen: For me it has nothing to do with drinking even though I do love Dos Equis in the GREEN bottle. :mrgreen:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

I like the color green and way back I was part Irish. :mrgreen: For me it has nothing to do with drinking even though I do love Dos Equis in the GREEN bottle. :mrgreen:

Peace
    It's a celebration. I guess ya celebrate it whatever way ya normally celebrate stuff. I like a few drinks to celebrate :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life