Comments

• DrockNJDrockNJ Posts: 43
    Fat Boy Rosco.....

dsc0038g.jpg

dsc0137g.jpg

img2447r.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    anyone got any tips how I can get her to "settle" at night and get through this?

the only thing i can think of after watching too many hours of cesar milan, gracie may not think you're the packleader....

that or she's nuts...

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    imalive wrote:
    IMG_2161.jpg

I need your help! Gracie looks pretty sweet, huh? Well, the thing is, she's not! Short of doggie Prozac, anyone got any tips how I can get her to "settle" at night and get through this?

Something called Res-Q Remedy is supposed to be good for hyperactivity and anxiety. It's a naturopathic type of thing. I haven't used it on my dogs, but people I know who have swear by it. The other thing is that some dogs take a long time to mature. My friend's golden took about 2.5 years before he even thought of calming down. Our dog Charley (although not a Golden) is five now, and he's only just started to settle. Anyway, not all goldens have the same temperament...Gracie will settle eventually...
    be philanthropic
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    DrockNJ wrote:
    Fat Boy Rosco.....

img2447r.jpg

He looks more like "Fun Boy" Rosco! What an awesome dog! Does he fart? I don't care - I love your dog! :D
    be philanthropic
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Rosco's an absolute champion!!!!! What a hound!!

iamalive. I got Ice one of those toys you can stick peanut butter in and that occupies her for about 2 hours whatever I need her to settle down.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Very sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed with Gracie. Just know you are not alone, most people get very frustrated at some point during puppyhood. I have a couple of suggestions to help with Miss Gracie. With the behavior she is exhibiting she sounds bored to me. She is still a puppy and will be for another year or more. She needs more then just exercise to have a full happy life. She is a smart breed and sometimes they just need more then the average dog.

Has she been to Obedience training classes? I highly suggest to seek out a group class that uses Positive methods, clicker and treat based. Sign up and go to OB1 and then follow to OB2. She not only needs her exercise, she needs to work her mind, doing Obedience with her will help you to mentally wear her out. After you finish with OB, you might find you have had so much fun you want to continue with another class. Agility might be a nice class to try. Do some OB practice with her everyday. I keep a treat jar and a clicker on my counter and when Mr. Petey is bored, we do some OB work....he loves it, and I get a better trained dog out of the extra practice.

Also....with her exercise, is she getting off lead time? like playing with another dog or running through hiking trails? Are you doing structured exercise everyday for at least 1/2 hour(or two 15minute sessions, one before work and one after) like a game of fetch? You could teach her to play Frisbee....and do that with her everyday.

As another suggested, you could put a couple of Kongs in the freezer filled with one of her meals, canned food mixed with kibble, let her spend time working on eating. Puzzle type toys doled out could break up your evening, so you could get some much needed R & R http://www.dogplay.com/Behavior/toys.html

Petey's favorite game in the entire world is Tug. Do you have a good tug? That really helps to wear them out too.

One last suggestion. You could begin implementing the NILIF program with her. Make her work for everything you do with her. It will keep her mind busy and get you the respect from her that you aren't getting right now. http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

We rarely get the dog we wanted, but we always get the dog we need. Petey is by far the biggest handful I've ever owned. He is also the smartest and he has pushed me to step up to the plate and become a very responsible dog owner. I have always been a very lazy owner, and have never trained any of my dogs, Petey has not let me get away with that attitude. At 2.5 years old today.....he is turning in to a awesome dog, my favorite ever! We are still going to OB classes and start Agility next weekend!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,870
    Thanks, all!! I'm feeling a little better.

DrockNJ - Roscoe (perfect name) is too cool!

Austicman - Gracie has a rubber thing that we fill with treats. She really has it figured out. She rolls it around with her nose but knows she has to pick it up and slam it down to have any real chance of a treat falling out. As a consequence, she spends a lot of time slamming it and getting it stuck under the kitchen cabinets. I swear she gets it stuck on purpose. So, it's a double edged sword.

Norm - I'm gonna go with "she's nuts." Maybe you can lay the magic hand on her when you're in Vegas.

Vedderfan - I'll check out the Res-Q Remedy. As PJaddicted surmised, I'm a lazy owner :mrgreen: . And, yeah, part of it is probably that I'm expecting too much, too soon. Five years??? I'll be in the looney bin if it takes five years!
    PJaddicted wrote:

We rarely get the dog we wanted, but we always get the dog we need. Petey is by far the biggest handful I've ever owned. He is also the smartest and he has pushed me to step up to the plate and become a very responsible dog owner. I have always been a very lazy owner, and have never trained any of my dogs, Petey has not let me get away with that attitude. At 2.5 years old today.....he is turning in to a awesome dog, my favorite ever! We are still going to OB classes and start Agility next weekend!

Finally, PJaddicted, I knew you'd have good advice. Yes, she does get off the lead and runs. She's actually quite a good frisbee catcher (not so good about giving it up, tho :mrgreen: ). Hiking trails? Not so many of those in my concrete jungle :cry: . Hey, little Miss Gracie just wandered in. She's being sweet this morning. I'll try to "step up" my responsibility. I guess nothing worth having ever comes easy :mrgreen: .
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    http://organicpharmacy.org/products/Res ... DQodFwxKNg

I just checked it out. Probably not the ticket, because Gracie is not stressed, just wild. Damn, the lazy pet owner was hoping for the easy way out! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DrockNJDrockNJ Posts: 43
    DrockNJ wrote:
    Fat Boy Rosco.....

img2447r.jpg

He looks more like "Fun Boy" Rosco! What an awesome dog! Does he fart? I don't care - I love your dog! :D

Does he fart?? ...Does a Bear Crap in the Woods??? sometimes i cant believe the scents that come out of his body...and he know's it too because he'll give a little sniff and then get up and walk to the other side of the room..
    imalive wrote:
    Norm - I'm gonna go with "she's nuts." Maybe you can lay the magic hand on her when you're in Vegas.

too bad i can't bring norm with me...he needs a good 48 hour play date with a high energy dog ;):mrgreen:
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    PJaddicted wrote:

Finally, PJaddicted, I knew you'd have good advice. Yes, she does get off the lead and runs. She's actually quite a good frisbee catcher (not so good about giving it up, tho :mrgreen: ). Hiking trails? Not so many of those in my concrete jungle :cry: . Hey, little Miss Gracie just wandered in. She's being sweet this morning. I'll try to "step up" my responsibility. I guess nothing worth having ever comes easy :mrgreen: .
    PJaddicted has given you some great advice and I agree (and Penny just trotted in here to agree too)! I've been training in Obedience for years and I love it. I started with one class, had so much fun that I took another, and now I belong to an Obedience Dog Club! Fun people who love their dogs! :D

Penny is my rescue dog and she is very smart but didn't have much discipline when we got her. She has been going to class for a couple of months and she loves it! She acts like it's her Big Night Out. She is still a Wild Child but has come a long way and really wants to please. I've never trained in Agility but friends who have tell me that she would be a natural so I'm pretty sure I'll give it a try.

Another great thing about going to training classes is that you meet lots of other people who are working with their dogs and trying to solve problems. You learn from them and they learn from you. You meet great people that you wouldn't meet otherwise. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Glad I could help.....next time you and I both want lazy mans/womens dogs.....what breed would work for us??? :D

Everyone wish my sweetie Petey a happy 2 1/2 Birthday today.....another milestone surviving Doberteens!!!

253Petey.jpg
    252Petey.jpg
    25Petey.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    One more hint....get two Frisbees, this way she will drop one when you throw the second one. Or....you can have a pocket full of tine soft treats(I like Zukes), tell her to drop it, and give her a treat, repeat a couple hundred times....and you will have a Retriever!! :lol:
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
    HAPPY 2.5 PETEY!!! :mrgreen:
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    DrockNJ wrote:
    Fat Boy Rosco.....

dsc0038g.jpg

dsc0137g.jpg

img2447r.jpg

OMG!!!
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

*LOVE* your dog!!!
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

fantastic! he is sooo awesome looking! and farting? i bet he SNORES even worse! :lol:
    hahahahahaha....soooo worth it tho!
    our little igby - a pug - he snores so LOUD sometimes it's hysterical!

pjaddicted - happy 2.5 birthday to petey!
    *big doggie hugs!*

excellent advice too. we are also pretty lazy dog owners, and we do ok. i know we could have much better behaved dogs if we really applied ourselves, but yea.....see *lazy*....hahaha. the smarter the dog, the MORe you need to stimulate/engage him or her, absolutely! they are smart, they will *get it*....but they will also test, test, and test! dogs want what they want too! we are very, very lucky with chloe. she is extrmely intelligent, but she is also very compliant, b/c her main goal is to be pleasing/obedient. not to say she's perfect, b/c she isn't...but she is a damn fine dog, so well behaved, especially with such minimal effort on our behalf. now igby, FAr more challenging. he definitely isn't as intelligent, but also his breed....it's all about him and his wants! :lol: dogs are worth it ALL tho!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    DrockNJ wrote:
    Fat Boy Rosco.....

dsc0038g.jpg

dsc0137g.jpg

img2447r.jpg

SENROCK! wants to wish Petey a happy 2.5 birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~ and~~~~~~~
    She wants to say(about this bulldog).......

i absolutely LOVVVVVVE that doggie!!!! its my new fave in here!!!!
    PJaddicted wrote:
    One more hint....get two Frisbees, this way she will drop one when you throw the second one. Or....you can have a pocket full of tine soft treats(I like Zukes), tell her to drop it, and give her a treat, repeat a couple hundred times....and you will have a Retriever!! :lol:

I try stuff like that...she'll try to get the treat AND beat me back to the friz. :shock:

She knew I was talking bad about her and was a little hurt...

IMG_2168.jpg

Happy Birthday, Big Pete!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    IMG_2168.jpg

wow! gracie needs to stop drinking ;)

i've got a similar picture of me on new year's eve :shock: :mrgreen:
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    Roxy had her puppies!!!

They are so tiny and adorable She had a rocky start though, she started off being really anxious and panting and shivering a lot and that went on for about ten hours. Then she went into 3 hours of labour before the first pup came out. Sadly this fella was stillborn, which was really upsetting. She had three more healthy pups after that and we're not sure if there are any more coming!

Thought I'd fill ye in, pictures to follow when they're less sticky :P
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    As requested, this is the start of the snow storm in Montana.

100_1637-1.jpg

This was taken this morning, 9 inches of snow fell. And snowed all day today

She was trying to eat the snow, and she did, i was a second too soon in taking the pic! She had a hard time running around in all the snow, so she stayed by the bushes.

100_1654-1.jpg

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

My dog needs snow!! I have no doubt she would go crazy, until the point of exhaustion. :mrgreen:

Wow....snow in Montana and pushing 90 where I'm at.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited April 2009
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    As requested, this is the start of the snow storm in Montana.

100_1637-1.jpg

This was taken this morning, 9 inches of snow fell. And snowed all day today

She was trying to eat the snow, and she did, i was a second too soon in taking the pic! She had a hard time running around in all the snow, so she stayed by the bushes.

100_1654-1.jpg

snow???it's almost may!!! :shock:

here's norm in the only good pic i have of him in the snow

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/c ... G_0373.jpg
    Post edited by norm on
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I finally uploaded some new pics of Bailey and Chloe !

St. Patty's Day Scarf (My Wife of course does this)

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Bailey doing the Elvis Lip

IMG_0076.jpg

Snow Pics

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

We put a scarf on Chloe and she just left it on

IMG_0087.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    ahhhhh...that dalmatian is a beauty! what memories. the first dog in my life, princess, was a dalmatian.

and phantom pain, i too have a 'chloe.' :)
    it's been awhile, i think, since i've shared some pics of our babies......here's a few:

here's chloe:
    chloeapril2009.jpg

igby:
    igbyapril2009.jpg

here's a pic from probably last year, but i don't think i ever posted it...and it's a *rare* pic of them being kinda cuddly ;):
    chloeigby.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I finally uploaded some new pics of Bailey and Chloe !

St. Patty's Day Scarf (My Wife of course does this)

Gracie had a bandana...........ONCE.........chewed it up. :roll:

LOVE IT!!! :mrgreen:
    We put a scarf on Chloe and she just left it on

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

here's a pic from probably last year, but i don't think i ever posted it...and it's a *rare* pic of them being kinda cuddly ;):
    chloeigby.jpg

Double AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

P.S. Gracie made a new friend at the park, this morning. A sweet, sweet 8 year-old Golden. A glimpse of the future, I hope! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    all these pictures are great. Dogs are amazing. I never had one as a kid growing up, only cats. My Jack Russell Scooter is really my first dog, and I have learned how awesome dogs are with their personalities. Its amazing to see these pictures and think that each one of these pups has their own personalities/routines/etc...

Isnt it the greatest when you come home each day and you get greeted as if you walking in the room is the greatest thing ever? No matter how bad a day is, that is the greatest pick-me-up out there.

IMG_0076.jpg

love it!!! :mrgreen:
    chloeigby.jpg

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    one of my fave igby pics...but there are many b/c he just loves the camera! :lol:

hmmm...ok, wtf?
    Your images may only be up to 480 pixels high.

what does this actully MEAN? i am linking to a pic in photobucket....how can i change it to conform for this board? i've never had this problem before.

does chloe work?

Your images may only be up to 640 pixels wide.
    ugh......nope.
    guess i had my camera set at too high of a resolution for this board?
    i thought photobucket sized em down for their site....you mean THIs site needs em even smaller? sheesh.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

one of my fave igby pics...but there are many b/c he just loves the camera! :lol:

hmmm...ok, wtf?
    Your images may only be up to 480 pixels high.

what does this actully MEAN? i am linking to a pic in photobucket....how can i change it to conform for this board? i've never had this problem before.

does chloe work?

Your images may only be up to 640 pixels wide.
    ugh......nope.
    guess i had my camera set at too high of a resolution for this board?
    i thought photobucket sized em down for their site....you mean THIs site needs em even smaller? sheesh.....

10c wonderful web people have put a limit on the size of an image that is embedded :roll:

just post the link...it's too much trouble to copy the photo and resize