Denver 22
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    ^^^ lookin’ good!  I’d trust them.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    They seem too friendly for that.

Are they very pwotective, Wob?
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Hey guys, some sad news. I said goodbye to my best friend last Saturday.
    Norm hadn't been doing well for the past year or so. Cushing's Disease and dementia had taken their tolls. So much so that a brain tumor developed so I knew it was time.

Oh norm, I’m so very sorry. Your fella had a long life of adventures and a whole lotta love. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    norm said:
    Hey guys, some sad news. I said goodbye to my best friend last Saturday.
    Norm hadn't been doing well for the past year or so. Cushing's Disease and dementia had taken their tolls. So much so that a brain tumor developed so I knew it was time.

I am sorry for your loss. What a sweet looking boy. I am sure he brought you years of joy.
    @norm

So sad to read this.  My condolences 💔.  I have always looked forward to seeing pictures of Norm and hearing about his adventures.  Thank you for sharing his life with us; it’s made us all so much richer.  Rest in peace Norm.  You will always be remembered.  (((Hugs)))
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I am so sorry to read this. Norm always brought a smile to my face, with his handsome photos. Thoughts are with you during this time.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    Oh no, norm! :bawling:

you know how I feel about both of you.

you’re in my and Codie’s thoughts. Norm (the dog) was a good boy. So glad we met him. :heart:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    So sorry to hear about Norm. He looked like such a good soul. I am sure your heart is heavy right now. Sending thoughts. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Oh man.
    So sorry to hear about Norm, Tim.
    Feels like we lost a forum member.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Oh man.
    So sorry to hear about Norm, Tim.
    Feels like we lost a forum member.

true, that.

Norm, I know you've read this before but here it is again. also, I just want to say that I know how much each of the norms meant to the other.

If you’ve ever loved an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember.  The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend.  You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed.  You may have asked opinions of many friends or done research finding a breeder.  Or, in a fleeting moment, you may have chosen that silly looking mutt at the shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart.  But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore…when you feel it brush against you for the first time, it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through many years to come.

The second day will occur years later.  It will be a day like any other.  Routine and unexceptional.  But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth.  You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy.  You will see sleep where you once saw activity.  You will begin to adjust your friend’s diet and you may add a pill to her food.  And, you may feel a growing uneasy feeling until the third day arrives.

On this day, if your friend or your higher being has not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own on behalf of your lifelong friend.  Whichever way your friend leaves you, you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow freely as they must.  If you are typical, you will find that not many family and friends will be able to understand your grief.  But, if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul, smaller in size than your own, seems to walk with you at times, during the lonely days to come.  At those moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary, you may feel something brush against your leg.  And, looking down at the place where your dear friend used to lie… you will remember those three significant days.  The memory will be painful.  As time passes, the ache will come and go.  You will reject it and embrace it and it may confuse you.  If you reject it, it will depress you.  If you embrace it, it will deepen you.  Either way, it will still be an ache.

But, there will be a fourth day when, along with the memory of your pet, and piercing through the heaviness in your heart, there will come a realization that belongs only to you.  It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with the pet we have loved and lost.  This realization takes the form of a Living Love, like the heavenly scent of a rose.  This Love will remain and grow, and will be there for us to remember.  It is a love we have earned.  It’s the legacy our pets leave us when they go… and it’s a gift we keep with us as long as we live.  And until we leave, perhaps to join our beloved pets, it is a Love we will always possess.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    we DID lose a forum member! :bawling:
    missoula, 2012.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Damn, he looked so young there.  A real party fellow!  What a great photo.

That piece you posted, Wob - no matter how many times I've read it, the tears always come.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2020
    norm, I'm so very sorry.  I always enjoyed the pictures of Norm, whether he was up in the mountains or just hanging around the yard.  What a great life he had with you!  Nobody could have loved him more than you did. 
    I can't completely remember the story but I remember something you posted about Norm years ago.  I think there was a repairman who'd come to the house.  Norm got all gangsta and jumped up to protect your mom from the "intruder."  Pretty chill guy most of the time but don't mess with my fam!
    It's so hard when we watch our dogs getting old.  But we adapt to the changes even as we watch and fear what comes next.  Sometimes I think I love my dogs the best when they start to get old.  It's a new kind of bond that reminds you of everything you've been through together.
    Sending you Texas-sized hugs and joining you in tears for your best friend.  I know what a hard time this is for you.  RIP Norm.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    hedonist said:
    Damn, he looked so young there.  A real party fellow!  What a great photo.

That piece you posted, Wob - no matter how many times I've read it, the tears always come.
    I agree completely.  The tears are still running as I look at Maxine and Zeus and remember
     . . . Nikita & Stella & Bud & Lady & Kink & Baby & all the other furry friends who have graced my life.

Someone is sawing logs 😴😴😴 so loudly right now!

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    edited June 2020
    Have a hard time adding photos, but I wanted to
    ask about itching and scratching.
    Pepsi does it a lot. He doesn't have fleas and we put stuff on him for dry skin
    Any suggestions?

See the source image
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    What a cutie! Is it out of the blue? Could it be anxiety-related due to changes, etc.?

Perhaps contact your vet. I’ve also heard good things about CBD for pets. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited June 2020
    hedonist said:
    What a cutie! Is it out of the blue? Could it be anxiety-related due to changes, etc.?

The Queen of Cat Dope? Nah. You have never heard of CBD for pets. 🤣

Thread integrity: Food allergy? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:

The Queen of Cat Dope? Nah. You have never heard of CBD for pets. 🤣

Thread integrity: Food allergy? 
    It’s catnip, I tell ya!
    hedonist said:

Great advice. My friend has a dog with skin allergies and has been giving her CBD. She said it has done wonders.

Thanks Ladies,
         Vet said Benadryl, trying that first then maybe try cbd.
    Maybe a food allergy, gonna try a different foods to see if it makes
    any difference. He is a finicky eater.
    Also, what weird things do your dogs do.
    Pepsi gives kisses by trying to stick his tongue
    as far up your nostrils as possible
    acting all serious.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited June 2020
    I don’t have my own dog - but today while taking a walk I saw a woman walking 5 greyhounds. The dogs looked older. I wonder if they were dog race rescues. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    MF117973 said:
    I don’t have my own dog - but today while taking a walk I saw a woman walking 5 greyhounds. The dogs looked older. I wonder if they were dog race rescues. 

They always seem so nervous. It’s part of their nature...?

Years ago we went to some dog races in Tijuana. The animals were so artificially wired that they would keep running after the race was over.

Poor things. Reminds me of the beautiful but badly-scarred bulls I saw in Barcelona. Just barbaric. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    2 of my relatives have had greyhound rescues. Because of their upbringings they tend to be a bit skittish, certainly at first, as they are not socialized with people the way most dogs normally are.
    Also of note, the one my cousin had wouldn't walk up and down stairs as he had never encountered them before, her husband used to carry the dog over stairs.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    So sorry to hear about Norm..you and your family are in our thoughts during this difficult time. Cory
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....