~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    cutback wrote:
    thanks.....yeah it was.....and i'm not a big fan of open wounds YUCK!! :eek: :)

Charley sends all his doggy empathy to Norm! He had his own 'degloving" incident a few years ago, when he tripped jumping over a lot and landed on an old branch, which drove right under his skin...and then he panicked, which ripped his skin open even more...I think he got 90 stitches...Fortunately, dog skin is like chicken skin in that it's easily peeled so that muscles have a better chance of staying intact...

When I helped the vet clean the bits of stick and dirt out of charley's wound, it was evident that the stick went through the skin on his chest and down one of his front legs...but no muscle was touched! It was so horrible looking that I almost passed out...

But he bounced back in a couple of days...and actually enjoyed wearing a t-shirt and all the extra attention he got....

So, he knows what it feels like for poor Normie...but he also knows that he'll be OK. Antibiotics, washing with hibitaine TID, and checking the drain tube obsessively..that'll make it all okay...(woof)
    be philanthropic
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    cutback wrote:
    thanks....the latest pics of pety are great......happy mothers day! :)

Thank you! Petey came with us up to my sons college, we went for a nice hike. Petey had to stay on the leash...which he wasn't happy about!

How is the sweetheart this morning?

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Thank you! Petey came with us up to my sons college, we went for a nice hike. Petey had to stay on the leash...which he wasn't happy about!

How is the sweetheart this morning?

oxc

well i've dropped him off at the my vet this morning.....last night was fun.....the lampshade was a wee bit big for him and i have a small house so he was banging into everything.....and besides that he didn't like wearing it AT ALL.....so between that and the pain meds wearing off, he cried all night....i think i got a total of about 2 hours sleep :( i hope he learns from this (yeah right :) )
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    cutback wrote:
    well i've dropped him off at the my vet this morning.....last night was fun.....the lampshade was a wee bit big for him and i have a small house so he was banging into everything.....and besides that he didn't like wearing it AT ALL.....so between that and the pain meds wearing off, he cried all night....i think i got a total of about 2 hours sleep :( i hope he learns from this (yeah right :) )

I saw an alternative to the E-collar somewhere online back when Turbo needed one. It looks like a neck brace that people would wear if they had wiplash.

When I get home from work I'll "google it" and send you a link. :)

Good luck! I hope your little guy is feeling better!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    cutback wrote:
    so here i am enjoying a wonderful sunday afternoon.....gave my mom some wildflowers i picked, got the car washed and layed on my couch and watched the laker game and napped...

so i wake up from my nap, lakers lose and i go to see what norm has been up to in the backyard.....i call him inside, and he joins me on the couch....and he wimpers....and i look at his side and see this

warning: not for the squeamish

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/cutback32/Norm/IMG_1192.jpg

at this point i'm now cussing myself out because for the longest time now i've been meaning to put the emergency vet number in the phone

so now i really need it.....thanks for the internet al gore so i race to the er vet....norm is fine other than the occasional whimper.....what a trooper

so now he at the hospital getting stitched up...had to go under anesthesia.....i will pick him up in a few hours

so now i'm alone....i miss my buddy....:(
    i thought twice about looking at the picture cuz.....u mentioned possums the other day soi thought it was related. :eek: As soon as i saw that cut, i felt soooooo badd for my pal norm! Im late in seeing this thread but i hope he's doing better. He's a tough doggie to have survived that one!

btw, on an ENTIRELY different note.....i never EVER have commented on your screenname. i LOVE it! Did you choose it becuz the 'sport' its used in? if so, :D:D:D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    The lampshade is a pain in the ass... Maggie still has to wear hers when we're not home (she had another knee reconstruction surgery a couple weeks back) and while she's sleeping... like a fucking wrecking ball with that thing on. :)

At least she didn't destroy this one like she did the last time she had to wear one... she figured out that it would crack and break apart if she rammed it into the doorway, so she'd sit there for 20 minutes just ramming her head into the door frame. What an idiot. :D
    OneLove wrote:
    I saw an alternative to the E-collar somewhere online back when Turbo needed one. It looks like a neck brace that people would wear if they had wiplash.

When I get home from work I'll "google it" and send you a link. :)

Good luck! I hope your little guy is feeling better!

thanks i'll look that up....i thought about something like that this morning when we were in the backyard and norm kept running into things :eek: :)....i asked the vet if they had something else....maybe they'll have something....:)

was this it?? http://www.bitenot.com/
    since all of you are up in here at the moment, as a friend I'm asking you to send big hugs and lots of love to imalive. He might exxxplain or might not but kind words for him and his doggie shelby would be appreciated today. :)

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

SENROCK! wrote:
    since all of you are up in here at the moment, as a friend I'm asking you to send big hugs and lots of love to imalive. He might exxxplain or might not but kind words for him and his doggie shelby would be appreciated today. :)

already am....puts my incident into perspective :(
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    cutback wrote:
    well he's home now and dopey and sore.....and now happy about wearing the lampshade :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/cutback32/Norm/IMG_1194.jpg

once the drugs wear off this should be fun trying to keep it on :eek:

Yikes!! and that cut picture :eek:. glad he is better.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,866
    SENROCK! wrote:

Thanks, Sen. I can definitely use some comfort right now. One week ago, I took my sweet girl to the vet for her yearly shots. The vet found something really bad and we had to put Shelby down on Saturday. We lost our best friend :( It was 13 years and two days from the day we brought her home. I remember on that day how funny it was that Shelby had never been on grass before. Everywhere I look, I'm reminded of her. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. She slept on our bed, went on errands and went on vacations with us. I always told people that Shelby liked other dogs but she loved people. I heard from Sen and cried. I heard from cutback and cried. I'll be crying for awhile but I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru this. PM me if you don't want to be public. We miss the hell out of our sweet Boolie :(

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/ddgrh8r/IMG_0601.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I'll be crying for awhile but I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru this. PM me if you don't want to be public. We miss the hell out of our sweet Boolie :(

Big hugs from Victoria, BC...I have been through this (2 years ago) so I completely know how it feels. That horrible emptiness and even though you think of the happy stuff, you still feel very sad and bawl until you fall asleep...like a part of your soul is missing...Don't rush yourself to feel better though...Accept your emotions as they come...and in time (although it might be a long time) you will get used to her not being around. It sucks. It's horrible. You don't want to think that way. I really don't think people do get over the death of a pet, just that you get used to them not being around...but you still miss them so much. Just know that you will get through this...And your poochie's spirit knows that there won't be a day that goes by you won't think of her for a long time to come.

If you need to PM me, please do so...I'm at work, so I can't comfort you as much as I'd like...
    be philanthropic
    imalive wrote:
    Thanks, Sen. I can definitely use some comfort right now. One week ago, I took my sweet girl to the vet for her yearly shots. The vet found something really bad and we had to put Shelby down on Saturday. We lost our best friend :( It was 13 years and two days from the day we brought her home. I remember on that day how funny it was that Shelby had never been on grass before. Everywhere I look, I'm reminded of her. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. She slept on our bed, went on errands and went on vacations with us. I always told people that Shelby liked other dogs but she loved people. I heard from Sen and cried. I heard from cutback and cried. I'll be crying for awhile but I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru this. PM me if you don't want to be public. We miss the hell out of our sweet Boolie :(

What a beautiful pup. I am so sorry for your loss. Please feel free to PM if you ever want to chat. Boolie was lucky to have such wonderful people to love him.

I've been there, stay strong and know we're thinking of you and Boolie.

PS cutback..that was the contraption I was thinking of :) It worked for my italian greyhounds... they have such long necks that no matter what contraption we built, he could still get at the stitches on his tail a few years back.

I would deff ask the vet before making the purchase...but it worked well for us!

Good luck, and lots of hugs iamalive
    imalive wrote:

I am truly sorry for your loss. There is NO way around the pain you are feeling, you have to go through it. Your grief is real, don't let anyone tell you that it was just a dog...she was your family. She will always be with you.

Around 1.5 years ago I lost my two Weims only 3 months apart, and they were only 9 & 6. I was devastated. I decided the only way I was going to survive the two latest blows was to jump feet first in to getting another dog, my dream dog. It worked for me. I'd had too much loss and was sinking deep,I lost not only my dogs but my dad and a really close friend only the year before. Bringing Petey in to my life worked for me, but isn't right for everyone, you may need a lot more time to heal.

Here are my two Weim boys, Uno and Mason. And my puppy Petey just before we picked him up at the breeders.

DSC00884.jpg
    DSC04153.jpg

Hugs to you.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    imalive wrote:

awww, hon....I'm so sorry. Shelby looks like a beautiful girl and her light has obviously touched your soul. Cry for the hole she has left in your heart but smile for where she is now. She's romping and playing like she did as the young pup you brought home. She's waiting for you and you will see her again: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

hugs from my girls to you:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Whizbang/Callie%20and%20Maggie/100_0050.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Whizbang/Callie%20and%20Maggie/100_0624.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Whizbang/Callie%20and%20Maggie/100_0628.jpg
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    Thanks PJaddicted, OneLove, Vedderfan10, SENROCK! and cutback. Your kind words and pictures have made today a little better. In a day or two, I'm going to post the "Story of Shelby's Life" and more pictures than you ever wanted to see :p. I've done my share of crying over the past couple of days but I've remembered a lot of good times, too (which unfortunately sometimes leads to more crying). You guys are all "good people." Thanks very much.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/ddgrh8r/IMG_0616.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    i'm sorry to hear that, imalive. i've never really experienced the loss of a pet yet, but just imagining it makes me upset. i hope you're doing ok.

here's a few new ones of Tedy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsayg5218/2420916877/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsayg5218/2421729100/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsayg5218/2421216205/sizes/l/
    OneLove wrote:
    What a beautiful pup. I am so sorry for your loss. Please feel free to PM if you ever want to chat. Boolie was lucky to have such wonderful people to love him.

I've been there, stay strong and know we're thinking of you and Boolie.

Good luck, and lots of hugs iamalive

She was a beautiful dog. Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot, but it is hard right now. :(

edit: This was supposed to be a PM, but I screwed up. Oh well - I'm not really myself :(

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    She was a beautiful dog. Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot, but it is hard right now. :(

edit: This was supposed to be a PM, but I screwed up. Oh well - I'm not really myself :(
    its all good. thats what this thread is here for. I still miss my prince like it was yesterday. I just tell myself he's taking a long doggie nap. *sigh*

imalive wrote:

its all good. I am sure you aren't your self.. part of you is gone. It will get better though, with time.

You know when my first dog was put to sleep...someone told me that there was another dog working its way into my life that would really need me.... or I would need them. Turns out that is exactly what has happened.. on both counts. I still think of my girl often, but I feel like she would be happy that I have been able to do rescue work, and adopt two wonderful dogs to share my life with.

I am sure you aren't there yet..but the healing will come with time. :) Stay strong, PM any time!

Heather
    OneLove wrote:
    its all good. I am sure you aren't your self.. part of you is gone. It will get better though, with time.

You know when my first dog was put to sleep...someone told me that there was another dog working its way into my life that would really need me.... or I would need them. Turns out that is exactly what has happened.. on both counts. I still think of my girl often, but I feel like she would be happy that I have been able to do rescue work, and adopt two wonderful dogs to share my life with.

I am sure you aren't there yet..but the healing will come with time. :) Stay strong, PM any time!

A friend gave this to my wife. It really hit home with me. I've always carried Shelby's love and look forward to the day I can feel better about this. I liked this idea so much I retyped the thing my wife got and I'm going to pass it on to the next pet owner who needs it...

If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember. The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked opinions of many friends or done research finding a breeder. Or, in a fleeting moment, you may have chosen that silly looking mutt at the shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore…when you feel it brush against you for the first time, it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through many years to come.

The second day will occur years later. It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you saw energy. You will see sleep where you once saw activity. You will begin to adjust your friend’s diet and you may add a pill to her food. And, you may feel a growing uneasy feeling until the third day arrives.

On this day, if your friend or your higher being has not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own on behalf of your lifelong friend. Whichever way your friend leaves you, you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow freely as they must. If you are typical, you will find that not many family and friends will be able to understand your grief. But, if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul, smaller in size than your own, seems to walk with you at times, during the lonely days to come. At those moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary, you may feel something brush against your leg. And, looking down at the place where your dear friend used to lie… you will remember those three significant days. The memory will be painful. As time passes, the ache will come and go. You will reject it and embrace it and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache.

But, there will be a forth day when, along with the memory of your pet, and piercing through the heaviness in your heart, there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with the pet we have loved and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living Love, like the heavenly scent of a rose. This Love will remain and grow, and will be there for us to remember. It is a love we have earned. It’s the legacy our pets leave us when they go… and it’s a gift we keep with us as long as we live. And until we leave, perhaps to join our beloved pets, it is a Love we will always possess.

It makes me feel a little better :).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Sometimes I swear I see my little Pinker out of the corner of my eye...and it makes me smile...

Thanks for typing that out...the tears flow for everyone on here who has lost their pal...
    be philanthropic

Thanks for typing that out...the tears flow for everyone on here who has lost their pal...

The typing was just another way to get a little therapy :o.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Thank you so much for sharing that. It is so true.

Petloss.com is a good site if you need additional support.

Petey and I send hugs.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown

This is my new desktop at work. Wish my dog knew how to swim...

And how are you doing, imalive? You OK?
    be philanthropic
    This is my new desktop at work. Wish my dog knew how to swim...

And how are you doing, imalive? You OK?
    That is the most gorgeous picture! Shelby loved to swim :(

Yeah, I'm doing OK. If you all will indulge me, I'm gonna post "the Story of Shelby's life" here in a day or two. It's my therapy...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    That is the most gorgeous picture! Shelby loved to swim :(

Yeah, I'm doing OK. If you all will indulge me, I'm gonna post "the Story of Shelby's life" here in a day or two. It's my therapy...
    I look forward to that.
    a friend of mine tonite, mentioned the name Shelby. I stopped and looked at her and told her that was my friend's doggies name who recently went to keep my surfer company. :( big hugs.

• Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Sorry to hear about Shelby, imalive... :(
    Yesterday Petey and I went for our usual hike, it was raining so I put his raincoat on him......it is a really good thing he was wearing it!

DSC09935.jpg
    DSC09936.jpg
    DSC09938.jpg
    DSC09940.jpg
    DSC09942.jpg
    DSC09946.jpg
    DSC09948.jpg
    DSC09952.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    I am so sorry for your loss imalive. *hugs* coming your way.

Thank you for the friend story as well, it made me laugh and cry thinking of all my little friends that I have lost over the years.

S.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop