~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    This is the pic we used for our Christmas Cards this year

It is from last December when we got Bailey

The hat and scarf are from an old Teddy Bear my wife had :D

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb248/jstahl1124/?action=view&current=ChristmasBailey.jpg

I can't believe he was ever that small !

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i LOVE that picture!!!!!!!!!! if you could only HEAR the high pitch in my voice!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    heres some info i thought i'd pass along to you kidz. ya never know!

Understanding Heart Failure
    He’s constantly coughing, he never wants to play and he begins to pant whenever he does anything physical. Your older pooch may be showing signs of heart failure, most commonly caused by Mitral Valve Insufficiency.

What is Mitral Valve Insufficiency?
    Mitral Valve Insufficiency can lead to Heart Failure. In an older dog, this condition generally occurs when one of the heart valves (specifically the mitral valve) begins to deteriorate. Young dogs that are affected were usually born with a valve defect.

But what is the Mitral Valve? Well, it's the valve that sits between the left atrium (the chamber that collects blood from the lungs) and the left ventricle (the chamber that pumps blood out to the body).

As a dog ages, his Mitral Valve begins to thicken and weaken, causing blood to leak backwards into the atrium every time the heart beats. As time progresses and the valve continues to leak, the left atrium begins to swell causing fluid to go back up into the lungs. This results in heart failure. Many older dogs have mitral valve leakage. Not all who do go on to develop significant heart disease.

What are the Signs of Heart Failure?
    Early signs of heart failure include a heart murmur. But many dogs will have heart murmurs without concurrent heart disease. More noticeable signs of heart failure include:

Increased fatigue

Exercise intolerance

Panting

Coughing

Trouble resting comfortably
    Can It Be Treated?
    Heart Failure can be treated in order to prolong good quality of life, but cannot be cured. It eventually will progress. The following are some preferred methods of treatment:

Medication that will help to strengthen muscle contractions

Decreased activity and a special exercise routine

Special diet
    Can It Be Prevented?
    This condition cannot be prevented. However, keeping a dog with Mitral Valve Insufficiency at a healthy weight can lessen symptoms and possibly slow down the process that leads to heart failure.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

cundall23 wrote:

hahahaha im a BIG FAN of the pics where the doggies head is tilted!!!! awwwww!!!! good pics good pics!!!! :D

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    SENROCK! wrote:
    heres some info i thought i'd pass along to you kidz. ya never know!

Understanding Heart Failure
    He’s constantly coughing, he never wants to play and he begins to pant whenever he does anything physical. Your older pooch may be showing signs of heart failure, most commonly caused by Mitral Valve Insufficiency.

What is Mitral Valve Insufficiency?
    Mitral Valve Insufficiency can lead to Heart Failure. In an older dog, this condition generally occurs when one of the heart valves (specifically the mitral valve) begins to deteriorate. Young dogs that are affected were usually born with a valve defect.

But what is the Mitral Valve? Well, it's the valve that sits between the left atrium (the chamber that collects blood from the lungs) and the left ventricle (the chamber that pumps blood out to the body).

As a dog ages, his Mitral Valve begins to thicken and weaken, causing blood to leak backwards into the atrium every time the heart beats. As time progresses and the valve continues to leak, the left atrium begins to swell causing fluid to go back up into the lungs. This results in heart failure. Many older dogs have mitral valve leakage. Not all who do go on to develop significant heart disease.

What are the Signs of Heart Failure?
    Early signs of heart failure include a heart murmur. But many dogs will have heart murmurs without concurrent heart disease. More noticeable signs of heart failure include:

Increased fatigue

Exercise intolerance

Panting

Coughing

Trouble resting comfortably
    Can It Be Treated?
    Heart Failure can be treated in order to prolong good quality of life, but cannot be cured. It eventually will progress. The following are some preferred methods of treatment:

Medication that will help to strengthen muscle contractions

Decreased activity and a special exercise routine

Special diet
    Can It Be Prevented?
    This condition cannot be prevented. However, keeping a dog with Mitral Valve Insufficiency at a healthy weight can lessen symptoms and possibly slow down the process that leads to heart failure.

50% of all Dobermans die very young from this disease. Most just drop dead while out playing before the age of 6, that is the first sign that some people get that their dog was sick. There will be a genetic test for it in the next 5 years. Puppy Dobermans should never be bought from Back Yard Breeders or puppy mills, Well bred puppies come from breeders who are breeding dogs that have been health tested, and who's lines are very well known. Petey has Cardio back in his lines with his GGGGrandparents on the sires side and GGGrandparent on the Dams side. The offspring of the dogs that died from it have lived nice long lives, so hopefully it isn't carried in him! Very sad scary disease. Thanks for sharing.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    PJaddicted wrote:
    50% of all Dobermans die very young from this disease. Most just drop dead while out playing before the age of 6, that is the first sign that some people get that their dog was sick. There will be a genetic test for it in the next 5 years. Puppy Dobermans should never be bought from Back Yard Breeders or puppy mills, Well bred puppies come from breeders who are breeding dogs that have been health tested, and who's lines are very well known. Petey has Cardio back in his lines with his GGGGrandparents on the sires side and GGGrandparent on the Dams side. The offspring of the dogs that died from it have lived nice long lives, so hopefully it isn't carried in him! Very sad scary disease. Thanks for sharing.

oxc

that reminded me, i have a friend who hadd a doberman named "dobie". he just collapsed one day and we never knew why. now i do. thanks for that info you just gave! see? this doggie thread rules!!!

SENROCK! wrote:
    that reminded me, i have a friend who hadd a doberman named "dobie". he just collapsed one day and we never knew why. now i do. thanks for that info you just gave! see? this doggie thread rules!!!

The disease is in all the American lines, that is most likely what your friends dog died from. Petey is a Euro, so it isn't quite as bad with them. I think that I would have been better off with a Dobie mix....less sickness!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    Don't you miss it???? Petey grew up far too quickly! Do you want another one?

oxc

I know its so fast :(

We registered with a Goldens Rescue and they said they would call if they get a dog that fits our application

We had a 30 min phone interview and a House visit !

We also thought about getting one from a breeder again, Bailey wants a play mate

:)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i LOVE that picture!!!!!!!!!! if you could only HEAR the high pitch in my voice!!!!! :D

We tried getting a pic of him this year, but he wasn't having it :cool:

Everytime I got the Santa Hat on him he would move or paw at it or he would stay until the last minute and move his head a second before the picture !!

We tried getting a pic of him this year, but he wasn't having it :cool:

Everytime I got the Santa Hat on him he would move or paw at it or he would stay until the last minute and move his head a second before the picture !!

haha awww that woulda been sweet to see a new pic! :D maybe you'll have some luck putting new years eve glasses on him?! hahaha

• That is freakin' adorable :D

That's when he was just a little guy !

Now he's 80lbs !

I know its so fast :(

We registered with a Goldens Rescue and they said they would call if they get a dog that fits our application

We had a 30 min phone interview and a House visit !

We also thought about getting one from a breeder again, Bailey wants a play mate

:)

Congrats on going the rescue route.

Will you get another male? Dobermans don't usually tolerate another male of any breed in the house, so if I get another...it has to be a female....I've never had a female in adult life, I did have them as a kid. I like males much better. So I will have to wait and see how I feel about it in a year or so.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • I really, really miss our doggy :(
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    I really, really miss our doggy :(

i miss my stanley so much......

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8558/afbeelding003zh8fv7.jpg
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Linda wrote:

Aww... cute :)

Just with the bugger of this divorce, we've had to rehome our little guy... It's been a while now but it's only just bothering me.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Aww... cute :)

Just with the bugger of this divorce, we've had to rehome our little guy... It's been a while now but it's only just bothering me.

I know how rough your divorce has been on you...but why didn't you find a place to live that accepted dogs? Our local shelters are full of divorce dogs and it's just so sad. I realize you found a nice home for your pooch, and I commend you for not dropping him off at the SPCA or pound.

I'm not judging you...I'm just trying to understand why you gave up your dog when it's evident that you need him with you...
    be philanthropic
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    Congrats on going the rescue route.

Will you get another male? Dobermans don't usually tolerate another male of any breed in the house, so if I get another...it has to be a female....I've never had a female in adult life, I did have them as a kid. I like males much better. So I will have to wait and see how I feel about it in a year or so.

oxc

We were thinking female this time

My In-Laws neighbor has a female his age named Molly, they love each other

As soon as we get to my In-Laws house Bailey whines to go outside and look for her

I really, really miss our doggy :(

i miss my SURFER too. :( im super sorry that you hadd to give up your doggie. that bums me out.

cutback wrote:

i swear dude. u need to put norm in commercials!!!

((((Hugs)))) to all who miss their dogs. I'll give Petey an extra one for all of you tonight!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Mum put me on this STUPID set of reindeer antlers and started snapping with that awful flash again! :rolleyes:

I stood still for as long as I could but gee I wish she'd find another way to torment me! :p

Anyway MERRY CHRISTMAS my doggy friends!! :D

Hope you get lots of balls, and chew ropes and doggy treats and there's lots of pats and cuddles!!!

xo

woof! woof!

Lukin :)

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t312/Piesnsauce/?action=view&current=100_1738.jpg
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Dog Rules

1. Dogs are never permitted in the house. The dog stays outside in a specially built wooden compartment named, for very good reason, the dog house.

2. Okay, the dog can enter the house, but only for short visits or if his own house is under renovation.

3. Okay, the dog can stay in the house on a permanent basis, provided his dog house can be sold in a yard sale to a rookie dog owner.

4. Inside the house, the dog is not allowed to run free and is confined to a comfortable but secure metal cage.

5. Okay, the cage becomes part of a two-for-one deal along with the dog house in the yard sale, and the dog can go wherever he pleases.

6. The dog is never allowed on the furniture.

7. Okay, the dog can get on the old furniture but not the new furniture.

8. Okay, the dog can get up on the new furniture until it looks like the old furniture and then we'll sell the whole works and buy new furniture... upon which the dog will most definitely not be allowed.

9. The dog never sleeps on the bed. Period.

10. Okay, the dog can sleep at the foot of the bed.

11. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you, but he's not allowed under the covers.

12. Okay, the dog can sleep under the covers but not with his head on the pillow.

13. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you under the covers with his head on the pillow, but if he snores he's got to leave the room.

14. Okay, the dog can sleep and snore and have nightmares in bed, but he's not to come in and sleep on the couch in the TV room, where I'm now sleeping. That's just not fair.

15. The dog never gets listed on the census questionnaire as "primary resident," even if it's true.

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Dog Rules

1. Dogs are never permitted in the house. The dog stays outside in a specially built wooden compartment named, for very good reason, the dog house.

2. Okay, the dog can enter the house, but only for short visits or if his own house is under renovation.

3. Okay, the dog can stay in the house on a permanent basis, provided his dog house can be sold in a yard sale to a rookie dog owner.

4. Inside the house, the dog is not allowed to run free and is confined to a comfortable but secure metal cage.

5. Okay, the cage becomes part of a two-for-one deal along with the dog house in the yard sale, and the dog can go wherever he pleases.

6. The dog is never allowed on the furniture.

7. Okay, the dog can get on the old furniture but not the new furniture.

8. Okay, the dog can get up on the new furniture until it looks like the old furniture and then we'll sell the whole works and buy new furniture... upon which the dog will most definitely not be allowed.

9. The dog never sleeps on the bed. Period.

10. Okay, the dog can sleep at the foot of the bed.

11. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you, but he's not allowed under the covers.

12. Okay, the dog can sleep under the covers but not with his head on the pillow.

13. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you under the covers with his head on the pillow, but if he snores he's got to leave the room.

14. Okay, the dog can sleep and snore and have nightmares in bed, but he's not to come in and sleep on the couch in the TV room, where I'm now sleeping. That's just not fair.

15. The dog never gets listed on the census questionnaire as "primary resident," even if it's true.

starting at number 4, that's almost exactly the evolution of norm's time with me......nice find sen....:D:D
    Jeanie wrote:
    Mum put me in this STUPID set of reindeer antlers and started snapping with that awful flash again! :rolleyes:

I stood still for as long as I could but gee I wish she'd find another way to torment me! :p

Anyway MERRY CHRISTMAS my doggy friends!! : D

Hope you get lots of balls, and chew ropes and doggy treats and there's lots of pats and cuddles!!!

xo

woof! woof!

Lukin :)

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t312/Piesnsauce/?action=view&current=100_1738.jpg

norm would rip my hand off if i tried that....rightfully so....:eek: :D
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    cutback wrote:
    norm would rip my hand off if i tried that....rightfully so....: eek: :D

Credit where credit's due, he's a pretty good natured fella when it comes to his Mumma. He'll pretty much let me do whatever, the vet not so much and other people no way. But Mum, she can do whatever just not for EVER!
    Besides! If only he knew just HOW OFTEN I'd saved him from his Grandmother's deep seeded desire to frock him up at EVERY opportunity! :rolleyes: :D

Least I didn't string his scratch collar with christmas lights like I was gonna! :p:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I know how rough your divorce has been on you...but why didn't you find a place to live that accepted dogs? Our local shelters are full of divorce dogs and it's just so sad. I realize you found a nice home for your pooch, and I commend you for not dropping him off at the SPCA or pound.

I'm not judging you...I'm just trying to understand why you gave up your dog when it's evident that you need him with you...

I don't need anyone with me. I'm fine.

Our house sold in about a week and I have nowhere to live, yet. I'm going to my folks until I figure it out and they wouldn't want my dog as well..

Jeanie wrote:
    Credit where credit's due, he's a pretty good natured fella when it comes to his Mumma. He'll pretty much let me do whatever, the vet not so much and other people no way. But Mum, she can do whatever just not for EVER!
    Besides! If only he knew just HOW OFTEN I'd saved him from his Grandmother's deep seeded desire to frock him up at EVERY opportunity! :rolleyes: : D

Least I didn't string his scratch collar with christmas lights like I was gonna! : p :D

that would have been one helluva extension cord....;) :p:D
    Jeanie wrote:
    Least I didn't string his scratch collar with christmas lights like I was gonna! :p:D

YES, thank goodness!!!! :D

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Sorry to bring this...but I stepped in dog poo today, aint that the worst thing? And it was so cold, this stuff had been congealed into a kinda 'pate' like consistensy. First of all I nearly slipped over, than I had to contend with scraping the stuff out of the tred in my boots with a stick.....YUK!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....