platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    beat me to it .

:)

I HAVEN'T HAD any mean greens yet today so iam still quick on the draw ;)

bathy 2 down baby !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Middle Fingers For Avery

Avery, Rangers rolling

By SAM WEINMAN
    THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: April 15, 2007)
    ATLANTA - With the music blaring, with a sea of white twirling towels in the crowd, Sean Avery stood at the faceoff circle yesterday and stared at a section of opposing fans behind the glass. One man in an Atlanta Thrashers jersey offered Avery his middle finger. Then another. Then one man marched down the aisle and started cursing at Avery while banging on the glass.

Avery, the Rangers' incendiary left wing, only looked ahead and laughed.

"I was just counting to see how many people could give me the finger all at once," he said. "I stopped counting at 20."

Moments later, Avery ensured he'd have even more enemies at Philips Arena and helped grow his cult status among the Rangers in the process.

With the score tied late in the third period of Game 2, the 27-year-old Avery secured a puck low in the Atlanta zone, then located linemate Brendan Shanahan unattended across the slot. A quick pass and an even quicker shot later, Shanahan had scored the deciding goal with 4:01 remaining in the third period. The Rangers' 2-1 win allowed them to leave Atlanta with a commanding 2-0 lead in their opening-round, best-of-seven series.

"If anything, that sort of stuff gets me pumped up more than anything," Avery said. "I was having fun with it. I said to (Thrashers center Eric) Belanger, who I played with for five years, 'This is what we've been waiting for.' It's fun. This is what we've got to do."

A familiar pattern continued in this two-game sweep here, with the pesky Avery inciting everyone he plays against while endearing himself to everyone he plays alongside. On an afternoon when the Thrashers were intent on pounding the Rangers into submission, they would succeed in opening up a cut above Avery's left eye. But they couldn't prevent him from scoring one goal and assisting on the game winner, allowing the Rangers to return to Madison Square Garden Tuesday with a decided advantage in the series.

"All we know is we got a two-game lead on these guys," Rangers coach Tom Renney said. "I thought Atlanta showed us exactly what they're capable of doing. They're a very good hockey team. This thing is far from over but certainly with a two-game lead, it's potentially very, very good."

Even more encouraging to the Rangers was the goal by the 38-year-old Shanahan, who is still laboring to get back to full speed after missing a month because of a concussion. Shanahan had one golden scoring chance thwarted by Atlanta goalie Johan Hedberg in the second period, and couldn't muster much later on a breakaway. But he delivered at the game's most crucial juncture, when he called out to Avery by the left faceoff circle, then buried the shot past Hedberg.

"It felt great," Shanahan said of his 54th career playoff goal. "You just kind of say, 'Stick with it. You're doing the right things. You're going to the right places if those things are happening.' But it's a lot nicer to get rewarded for doing those things than saying, 'It's coming.' "

Curiously, while Shanahan and a number of other Rangers had difficulty getting past Hedberg for most of the game, the goaltender provided a gift in the first period. That was when Avery sought to dump a puck into the zone, only to see it bounce off a partition in the glass and veer toward the net. Already behind the net to field the puck, Hedberg couldn't get back in time to stop it, and the Rangers had a 1-0 lead.

They would hold that lead for the second period and into the third, only to have the Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuk even the score on a crafty give-and-go with linemate Keith Tkachuk at 5:35. At that point, the crowd had come back to life. But rather than wither, the Rangers went on to play some of their most poised hockey - first by scoring the go-ahead goal, and then refusing to retaliate when the Thrashers turned scrappy late.

"I think everyone knows that's the way it's got to be," said Avery, who was run at by Kovalchuk but did not respond. "You've got to take it for the team. The team's always first, even more so than in the regular season. It's tough at times, but I think the team that does that more usually succeeds."

Note: Before the game, Atlanta coach Bob Hartley defended his decision to start Hedberg in place of starter Kari Lehtonen. Hedberg finished with 37 saves. "It's all about Moose (Hedberg). It's not about what the other guy did or didn't do,'' Hartley said. "Kari did his best, and Kari's a very big part of this team. Because I said from Day One we wanted two goalies capable of winning, and Moose has shown throughout this year and throughout the years with other teams that he can win in this league, and win the big ones.''
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    OK

watched the sean avery interview ,...

i wanna know what the " beaver taps " are all about.....

:confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:
    platessmall.jpg
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    OK

watched the sean avery interview ,...

i wanna know what the " beaver taps " are all about.....

:confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

I have no idea, nor do I think I want to know. Have I mentioned how much I love that guy and everything he's brought to the team? Of course in a strictly platonic, non-gay way!

LETS GO RANGERS!!!
    if tonights game is any indication of hows the other series are going to go,

looks like we 'll be facing the senators in the next round, heh ?

:confused:

[size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]
    platessmall.jpg
  • All we need is one of the bottom teams (tampa or isles) to win their series, so we don't have to play Buffalo. But if both tampa and the isles win, then we play tampa, which is the best case scenario.

I'm going to GAME 3 BABY!!! :D

Tomorrow night I got Chris Cornell, and the next night Game 3, and then at the end of the week I go to Florida :D
    Can't get better

oh and i like that chant atlanta has...

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...YOU SUCK!
    yeah good one :-|
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    oh and i like that chant atlanta has...

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...YOU SUCK!
    yeah good one :-|

didnt hear that

but just like the old addage goes

boos in away venues are like cheers at home.

platessmall.jpg
    Jason Strudwicks Playoff Blog

2007 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS BLOG
    JASON STRUDWICK'S EXCLUSIVE PLAYOFFS BLOG
    Rangers defenseman Jason Strudwick, who rejoined the team on March 19 after spending most of the 2006-07 season playing in Lugano, Switzerland, shares his thoughts on the playoffs in this exclusive blog. Strudwick, a regular member of the 2005-06 Rangers, is practicing with the team, but can't play in the playoffs because he signed after the 2007 NHL trade deadline. Fans can e-mail questions, and Jason will answer three per blog entry throughout the postseason.

Hockey's Popularity in Atlanta a Great Sign for the Game
    Hi, Ranger Fans.

It was a pretty good night in Atlanta last evening. We got a win, which is a nice way to start, but I was more impressed and surprised by something else.

The fans where really pumping and excited about the first playoff game for their home team Thrashers. Before the game started they were making noise and right into it. I didn't expect that type of environment but I was really glad to see it. Hockey is a great game and the more people that see it live I really believe the more people will become fans.

Anyone who was at last night's game would want to see another.

Thanks to all of you who sent in your questions after my last post. Here are the three I answered today:

QUESTION 1
    What do you think the current team will learn from last year's experience against New Jersey and the addition of former Stanley Cup Champions such as Brendan Shanahan and Matt Cullen?
    -- (Question submitted by Mike Rappaport)

Last year, the team came up against a very experienced playoff team in New Jersey. Our team had much less. With the addition of No. 14 and No. 5, we get some very experienced playoff players, these guys have won Stanley Cups and been in big games before. They, along with No. 68 will provide a calming influence this year that will help steady the ship when the waves get big.

QUESTION 2
    As a player, how much energy is fed off the atmosphere created by the fans. I know in Europe fans are more boisterous, louder, and more organized. Can you compare hockey fans in Europe to those here in NYC? And what can Rangers fans do to help create a wall of noise and creating an impossibly hostile environment for Atlanta for Games 3 and game 4 at MSG next week?
    -- (Question submitted by Mathew Coplan)

Although I agree that the fans are more organized in Europe, they are not any louder or boisterous than the fans here in North America. They take their cheering very serious and coordinate their chants and cheers into songs, jumping and whistles. It is pretty neat to see when the buildings there are full.

I think the fans in New York are great. They get MSG absolutely rocking and will continue to do so on Tuesday. I would love to hear you guys blow the roof off that place!!!

QUESTION 3
    It seems that most of the players that come to New York to play for the Rangers are very excited to be part of the club and its community. You have played with the NY Islanders, Vancouver, Chicago, and in Europe. What is it about the Rangers and the organization that made you want to come back? Is there something different that the Rangers organization offers that others do not?
    -- (Question submitted by Michael D'Ambrosio)

Each organization in the NHL has something it can be proud of, and it doesn't matter if it is an Original Six team or one of the newer teams. However, for me there is nothing like skating onto the ice at MSG as a member of the Rangers. Although I do think it has something to do with the history of the building and the great city which surrounds it, I believe it is the tradition of those who skated there before us that sets it apart in the minds of many.

Everyone has their favorite Ranger stories, which are part of the folklore, but for me it begins and ends with the team of 1994. Great team, great story. Who else can make a prediction like that and come through like Messier did?

Between now and then,

Strud

Posted by Jason Strudwick on 4/13/2007 3:14:00 PM | Send a comment

Here Come the Playoffs!
    Hi, Ranger fans.

This is such a great time of year! Who doesn't get excited about the NHL playoffs?

It doesn't matter if you are a fan, player or coach, everyone loves to watch and see what happens. As for me, I am in the unique position of being part of the team but am ineligible to play. Believe me, I would love to be playing but since I am not able, I was asked to write a blog and offer some insight from a unique perspective.

Now, I have never claimed to be a Shakespeare, Grisham or Ludlum but with the help of spell check you will all get something out of it, I hope!

It was great to come back and play with the Rangers for the last few weeks of the season, but I also enjoyed my time in Lugano, Switzerland, this year. I met some great people there and the hockey was faster than I had expected. It is a beautiful area, and the food was great. I went for a lot of walks to burn off the pasta!

Coming back to this team so late in the season was a nice surprise, and I got to know the new players quickly due to the intensity of the playoff race. The dressing room is a good group of guys who enjoy each other's unique personalities!

It was a great last week in the NHL with many playoff spots decided with only a game to go. We ended up drawing the Atlanta Thrashers. They are a well-coached team with some very skilled forwards and some gritty veterans. I have played against Ilya Kovalchuk and Marian Hossa, and they are both very tough to stop with great shots and speed. Keith Tkachuk and Bobby Holik are both big, strong centers who love to bump and grind. They have a strong defense and a good young goalie. We have our work cut out for us.

Feel free to e-mail some questions, and I will answer a few each time I submit some thoughts to this blog. Or, if you have a topic you would like me to discuss let me know.

Till next time,

Strud

Posted by Jason Strudwick on 4/11/2007 1:20:00 AM | Send a comment
    platessmall.jpg
    i know this is an off day for us and the team

but it needs some life

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!!!!!!!!
    $38 a ticket for my blues,,, not a bad deal

they sent us tickets for the 1st 3 rounds in the mail what a jinx :confused:
    NY PJ1 wrote:

I'm jealous. Of course I got shut out of getting tickets. And the cheapest I've seen on StubHub or Craigslist is 150 - 175 a ticket.
  • from newsday:

Rangers pumped for Garden party
    BY STEVE ZIPAY
    steve.zipay@newsday.com

Rewind to April 29, 2006.

The crestfallen Rangers are skating off the ice at Madison Square Garden after a 4-2 loss and a bitter first-round series sweep by the Devils.

Jaromir Jagr was done, Henrik Lundqvist was aching. The Devils had won 15 straight games.

Forget the Thrashers calling their Atlanta arena Blueland: The Garden was about as blue as you can get.

That won't be the case tomorrow night, as the Rangers, who are healthier and on a roll this April, welcome an ecstatic crowd hoping to revel not only in the team's first postseason win at home in almost a decade, but a 3-0 series lead over the Atlanta Thrashers.

"You win two on the road, I don't think it matters what organization it is - it's big," said Sean Avery, who scored the fluke first-period goal Saturday and passed the puck to Brendan Shanahan for the game-winner. "Now, we just have to keep the momentum. And our building is going to be ... I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about how loud it's going to be.

"Now, we have to just go in and not let our fans down and win two games."

It's been even longer -- 1994 -- since the Rangers had a 2-0 series lead, and they haven't opened a playoff series with two wins on the road since defeating the Flyers twice in 1983.

Because the next two games are on Madison Square Garden ice, Rangers coach Tom Renney will have the matchups on his side.

He can try to free Jaromir Jagr from former Rangers center Bobby Holik, who blanketed him in Game 2 and use his most effective checkers on Marian Hossa and Slava Kozlov, who are pointless in the first two games. The Thrashers have mustered just 52 shots (to the Rangers' 77), so expect the Thrashers to try to cycle more and crash the net to rattle and screen Lundqvist.

"I think they'll be really good in New York. I have no doubt in my mind about that," Renney said.

Atlanta coach Bob Hartley hadn't officially named his starting goaltender, but likely will stick with Johan Hedberg, who played very well, with 37 saves Saturday.

What might change is Hartley's strategy. The Thrashers failed to lure Avery and the Rangers into retaliation penalties and half their defensemen (Shane Hnidy, Andy Sutton, Niclas Havelid) were caught out of position several times for breakaways and odd-man rushes that the Rangers couldn't convert.

The Rangers had yesterday off and for Renney, only two personnel decisions await:

Does he replace tough guy Colton Orr (played only 3:43 on six shifts Saturday) with Ryan Hollweg, who was scratched for the first two playoff games, and defenseman Thomas Pock, who has looked overmatched at times, with Karel Rachunek? Rachunek missed the final 12 games of the regular season with a sprained left MCL.

Rachunek, who has playoff experience (with the Senators in 2001 and 2003), has been practicing and Renney said he is a possibility for Game 3. If Rachunek is ready to go, Pock, who played just 8:31 on Saturday, probably will be a healthy scratch.

Rangers' playoff moment

April 20, 1950: In the Finals against Detroit, Don Raleigh scored his second consecutive overtime goal against Harry Lumley to win Game 5, 2-1. The Red Wings won the Cup in seven games.

RANGERS VS. THRASHERS

Rangers lead 2-0

Game 1: Rangers 4, Thrashers 3

Game 2: Rangers 2, Thrashers 1

Game 3: Tomorrow, at Rangers, 7 p.m. (MSG)

Game 4: Wednesday, at Rangers, 7 p.m. (MSG)

*Game 5: April 20, at Atlanta, TBA (MSG)

*Game 6: April 22, at Rangers, 1 p.m. (Ch. 4)

*Game 7: April 23, at Atlanta, 7 p.m. (Versus, MSG)

*If necessary
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    moster78 wrote:
    I'm jealous. Of course I got shut out of getting tickets. And the cheapest I've seen on StubHub or Craigslist is 150 - 175 a ticket.

the perks of 1/2 season ticks my friend
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    the perks of 1/2 season ticks my friend

I know! I wanted to get them at the end of last season and my brother punked out on me!
  • looking like kari lehtonen is back in net tommorow night for atlanta..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    looking like kari lehtonen is back in net tommorow night for atlanta..

Interesting.
    moster78 wrote:
    Interesting.

hmnnnnnnnnnnnn,,that would surprise me

hedberg was awesome sat
  • from what i read in the atlanta papers, it's more due to lehtonen's 3-0 record at MSG even if it is regular season game.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    from what i read in the atlanta papers, it's more due to lehtonen's 3-0 record at MSG even if it is regular season game.

Its gotta be a little disjointing to a team to keep having a flip-flop in goalies in the playoffs. Lehtonen gets the first start, doesn't play so well so they start Hedberg who has more experience in the playoffs, he plays well, but they lose, so go back to Lehtonen because he's done better at MSG? Very odd. Then again, its the Thrashers who would rather hit than play hockey.
    hey boys.

got the phonecall today- and my girlfriend comes thru with a pair of tickets for weds nights game. ( game 4 ) i will have videos and photographs like the X man but i am certain from a vastly different vantage point .

so now its imperative that we win tomorrow night ( game 3 ) so that i can bare witness to a game 4 clincher at MSG.

platessmall.jpg
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Just a couple of pics I took at the game. Nothing tremendous.

Philips Arena Scoreboard
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/cjwalterbach/Misc/DSCF1760.jpg

Faceoff early in the game (as you can see, we had pretty great seats)
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/cjwalterbach/Misc/DSCF1767.jpg

Pregame fire
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/cjwalterbach/Misc/DSCF1765.jpg

I love NHL Playoff Hockey!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • nypj11 and bathgate, make sure you stop by the upper press box on the 33rd street side overlooking section 335. just ask sal the security guard for me (larry). after being at the final knick game of the year, i can't wait for these games..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    nypj11 and bathgate, make sure you stop by the upper press box on the 33rd street side overlooking section 335. just ask sal the security guard for me (larry). after being at the final knick game of the year, i can't wait for these games..

i dunno where im seated yet, but ill try and stop by, or post my locatin when i find out ( hopefully today )

i was so fucking pumped when i got the call about these tickets yesterday ! I am PUMPED !

platessmall.jpg
    Gamedayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

12 Hours Baby

Let's Go Ranger's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    hey boys.

got the phonecall today- and my girlfriend comes thru with a pair of tickets for weds nights game. ( game 4 ) i will have videos and photographs like the X man but i am certain from a vastly different vantage point .

so now its imperative that we win tomorrow night ( game 3 ) so that i can bare witness to a game 4 clincher at MSG.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

hey dude i hope u appreciate the Isles wearing down Buffalo for you and everyone else in the east. we're showing that the Sabres are super beatable. now, if only the refs would cooperate, we might have a chance of winning this series.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Well now you can see why I/we would travel to Pitt to watch playoff games. That wouldn't even get you parking to see the Laughs better yet into the building. And that is in the regular season. :eek:
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    Well now you can see why I/we would travel to Pitt to watch playoff games. That wouldn't even get you parking to see the Laughs better yet into the building. And that is in the regular season. :eek:

dont forget i stand in the last row ,,,but thats where i like it

and yes i would travel also

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!!
  • From the Post..

A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY AT GARDEN

LARRY BROOKS

April 16, 2007 -- TOUGHNESS is measured as surely by a player's and a team's willingness to take a hit to make a play and to absorb punishment without retaliating just as surely as it is by the ability to initiate physical play.

To that end, the Rangers were as tough as they come in earning the double-breaker in Atlanta that sends the Blueshirts into the Garden for tomorrow night's Game 3 against the Thrashers with a 2-0 lead in their first-round series and the potential to end it on Broadway 24 hours later.

The Rangers were tough, they were disciplined and they were poised, and Tom Renney surely deserves as much of the credit for the way his team carried itself in Games 1 and 2 as do the athletes. Renney's class has come to permeate the club; his dignity a welcome counterpoint to others around the NHL or in pro sports, for that matter, who feel the need to denigrate the opposition, debase the game, or make themselves the focus of attention.

Objective No. 1 in the playoffs is, of course, to advance, but Objective No. 1A is to advance as quickly and as unscathed as possible. Absorbing punishment takes its cumulative toll over the course of the tournament, let alone the length of a series. There was, in other words, a method to the madness far beyond the calling-card cliche in the Thrashers' coming high and hard after the Blueshirts in the final minute and final seconds of Game 2.

There is never the slightest benefit to playing even a single game more than necessary in any playoff series. No Cup champion since the 1992 Penguins has played a seven-game, first-round series. No Cup champion since the 1998 Red Wings has needed more than 11 games to advance to the conference finals.

This isn't going to be easy for the Rangers. Invisible Brother Marian Hossa might actually announce his presence in the playoffs. So might the boorish Keith Tkachuk. Bob Hartley might recognize that Bobby Holik needs to be on the power play, though assigning No. 16 to the man-up unit would pile on additional minutes his best player might be unable to handle in concert with his checking assignment.

Renney has managed his players' ice-time well, even as you wish he could find more time for Ryan Callahan. He's coached around Thomas Pock, limiting the jittery defenseman to only 8:31 of ice in Game 2. The moment Karel Rachunek is ready to go, he will, though he might not be able to go back-to-back right out of the chute. The moment Marc Staal is finished making the OHL playoffs his valedictory junior coming-out and going-away party, he is likely to join the Rangers and give the head coach options he requires if the Blueshirts go deep into the tournament.

The Rangers have earned themselves a golden opportunity here. But the task does not become simpler simply because they're home. Indeed, it will be incumbent upon the Blueshirts to resist the urge to put on a show for the ravenous Garden fans. It will be imperative for individuals to continue to take one for the team even if emotions are sure to be stoked even higher at the Garden.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will be a time for poise and composure. If the Rangers require a role model to remind them of those virtues, they need only take a glance behind their bench.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024