Options

Just got home. FUCK THIS

Comments

• Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Yup. See my post above re: the Mason-Dixon Line. DC is in the South, people. Check your geography books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_line

What Randy said.
    randymarsh wrote:
    As someone from the South, DC may be south of the Mason-Dixon line, but it is definitely not considered part of the Southern region, culturally or geographically. It and Maryland essentially the cutoff point

Anyway, I really hope there's a second leg that includes Atlanta. I've waited five years and was very excited earlier, until I realized that June 16th is the day I'm planning to take the LSAT. I may decide to take the Oct. 4th one instead, but I've kinda set up all my senior year plans around taking it in June. Nothing PJ did upset me, I'm stoked they're coming back, just a whole bunch of really bad coincidences have really bummed me out
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Yup. See my post above re: the Mason-Dixon Line. DC is in the South, people. Check your geography books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_line

I don't give a fuck.

D.C. is not the south.

Alabama is the south.
    tacos
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    randymarsh wrote:
    As someone from the South, DC may be south of the Mason-Dixon line, but it is definitely not considered part of the Southern region, culturally or geographically. It and Maryland essentially the cutoff point

Really. This isn't 1865 anymore. How many people actually consider the Mason Dixon line a serious geographical division anymore...? D.C. is so far from being "the south". For that matter, I've never heard anyone consider Baltimore part of the south either...
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    DBS shouldn't you be over on the train talking about the economy?????
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    xkevvx wrote:
    This isn't 1865 anymore.

I'm well aware.

All I'm saying is that it's right next to Virginia, which is most surely the South and its south of the traditional border between the two regions. And it still has as much in common with the South as it does with the North. Just because you're from the South doesn't mean you have idea where the cut-off is. People who live in the Northeast definitely don't consider it part of their region (trust me, I grew up there).

JFK said it best: "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
  • Options
    Maybe they should work on those geography classes in Georgia.
    Ask any Southerner (yes, out in San Fran you might be surprised we are edumacated as well) if he considers Washington or Baltimore the South and 10/10 will say no. Baltimore did not participate in the plantation economy and did not secede from the Union. Washington, more importantly, was the capitol of the Union

Looks like you should work on those history classes out in California.

And as a preemptive strike, please don't call me a redneck/hillbillie/conservative, as I am far from any of those things.
  • Options
    randymarsh wrote:
    (yes, out in San Fran you might be surprised we are edumacated as well)

wait, they have edumacation in the south? you guys aren't still relying on the agrarian economy?

just fucking around...
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    i'll echo those that say this strict east coast thing sucks balls.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Yes, if by "hate the south" you mean "are playing 6 concerts in the south."

What about the SouthWEST, you east coast motherfuckers?!! :)

Even if they add some Texas shows, TX is a big fucking state to have to drive through when you're in NM or CO or UT or AZ etc.

Didn't Tim say as of now there are no further shows/tours being planned? Where do these people get off saying they're playing Dallas et al????
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    What's even funnier is that the few that are in this thread sayin "suck it up" or "just drive it" all live on the east coast. HAHAHAHA.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I kind of agree...this is just overkill. I think Atlanta & Charlotte should definitely have had shows.

But, I mean, honestly - look at that string of shows. Boston - Hartford - NYC (2) - Philly - DC - Virginia Beach. That is RIDICULOUS. The closest show to me is DC - a 6.5 hour drive. I just don't understand why DC & Hartford got shows...they have cities close enough to them that they could just go to those (Hartford - Boston, DC - Philly/Virginia Beach). Those two dates should have been replaced with Charlotte & Atlanta, or Pittsburgh & Toronto, or Alpine & Detroit, or something.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    DBS shouldn't you be over on the train talking about the economy?????

When there is PJ to talk about, it's PJ i will be talking about, brotha.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Maybe they should work on those geography classes in Georgia.

My boyfriend is from VA and he said people there don't consider DC or VA the south
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    My boyfriend is from VA and he said people there don't consider DC or VA the south

Your boyfriend should take a trip to Richmond and check out Monument Avenue. Statues of Jefferson Davis, Jeb Stuart, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee. I'm pretty sure those guys were Southerners.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I was born and raised in VA and I consider myself a Southerner.Even have the southern accent to go along with it, ya'll!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    Of course it doesn't "HELP" anything but hell, since this is a place to rejoice AND vent, thought I'd let it out!

Other cities that they could play...

INDY
    Cincy
    Nashville
    Louisville
    St. Louis
    Chicago
    Alpine Valley

Just sayin... And don't think that some more like me aren't bent!
    Again, I'll pass. I'll wait and see if they EVER get close again. If not, owell!

I guess i'm just not "Diehard" enough to drive the 600 miles or so. Not my thang!

Don't forget some ATLANTA in there too!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    yahamita wrote:
    I was born and raised in VA and I consider myself a Southerner.Even have the southern accent to go along with it, ya'll!

You guys are torn, then. He's lived there his whole life up until we met and he didn't agree when I said it was also the south...so I didn't argue, I mean shit, he lived there. He lived right outside of DC though and it didn't seem very southern when I've been there. He doesn't have an accent and couldn't quit smiling and saying how cute mine was. I could tell he wasn't used to hearing it.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    You guys are torn, then. He's lived there his whole life up until we met and he didn't agree when I said it was also the south...so I didn't argue, I mean shit, he lived there. He lived right outside of DC though and it didn't seem very southern when I've been there. He doesn't have an accent and couldn't quit smiling and saying how cute mine was. I could tell he wasn't used to hearing it.
    Sterling, Alexandria, Arlington(city)...I don't consider those parts of VA southern, but if you drive 2 1/2 hours west, you will see some old southern plantations and horse farms. The civil war was fought right there!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    more shows comin'....
    how do you know?
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    LOL at the geographical argument.

I always thought PA and NJ and up were northeast, and Maryland, DC, Delaware, and VA was Mid-Atlantic, and below that was south.

I don't know, I'm sure I didn't have as good an edumacation as you guys! :)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    god all you people from the south stop complaining, i f you want to see them alot just fucking move to the north. the band shouldnt have to come to you.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    lol this thread is funny and DC is considered to be in the mid-atlantic region
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    We haven't gotten shows in FL since 2003, the only way to see them was to travel for the past 5 years... I think FL shows were overdue! :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    UNREAL. ANOTHER east coast tour? WTF????????????????????????????????

Sickening

Great!

Hey, think about those poor Alaskans...they have never seen the band!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    god all you people from the south stop complaining, i f you want to see them alot just fucking move to the north. the band shouldnt have to come to you.

I'm not complaining :D I travel around a lot as you can see on my sig.....though this time I'm preggo and at that time I will be 5 months along so travelling would have been a hassle(though I was pregnant to for the 98 and 2000 tour) but in any case I'm SUPER FUCKING HAPPY about FL shows... :D
  • Options

Typical response from another "east coaster".......
  • Options
    the band shouldnt have to come to you.

Well, actually.....that's kinda the whole point of a tour...
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    yahamita wrote:
    Sterling, Alexandria, Arlington(city)...I don't consider those parts of VA southern, but if you drive 2 1/2 hours west, you will see some old southern plantations and horse farms. The civil war was fought right there!

Exactly what I was going to say. My wife is from Northern VA (Fairfax) and they don't consider themselves the south. BUT her parents are hillbillies from Southern VA and absolutely consider themselves southern. So somewhere in the middle of Virginia is the cultural divide between north and south. DC is defintely not the south to anyone who has lived or visited there. But if a book says it is, it must be true.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    Well, actually.....that's kinda the whole point of a tour...

I was thinking that too... because under that idea then they should just stay in Seattle and play every other weekend kinda like Celine Dion in Vegas and then fans can go see them... :rolleyes:

I dont add to the complaining cause I aint got nothing to complain about, but if I was in TX right now for example I'd be a tad disappointed as well...
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    Says who? I won't be flyin or driving 800 miles or more to see them with gas and plane tickets JACKED for the summer.
    again the gas thing? are you even looking at plane tix prices? my wife and i just booked florida travel for 438 total after taxes roundtrip.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken