2007 Yankees

Comments

• JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    if i was a yankee fan i would be really pissed that they're not sparingly using joba back to back games. would an inning last night and an inning tonight (with tomorrow off) really hurt?
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    igotid88 wrote:
    Clemens just gave up a hit. No. No-no. Shutout's gone also.
    cause big mouth Michael Kay jinxed him. "Clemens hasn't give up a hit..' soon as he said it, BOOM!

Ugh.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    sox made it close, but yanks take the first two and can thank the mariners for sucking ass against the angels.

i don't know how the yanks scored only 4 runs on 14 hits. sox bats were dead tonight. it pisses me off when they get like this.

i really wish the game tomorrow was at night and not a 1:05.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,808
    Allie02 wrote:
    cause big mouth Michael Kay jinxed him. "Clemens hasn't give up a hit..' soon as he said it, BOOM!

Ugh.

Yankees WIN. Me and my brother looked at each other when he first mentioned it.
    I miss igotid88
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    IVE GOT TO SAY THIS,, whats with these clowns??

they have mo-hawks ,,bald with dirty beards..they wear big necklaces from hawaii and shit ,, plus dirty dreads

kcuf u boston filthy dirty team

TIED FOR WILDCARD !!!
    igotid88 wrote:
    Yankees WIN. Me and my brother looked at each other when he first mentioned it.

cause he wasn't a player. Al Leiter must want to slap him when they are in the booth together!

Sweet win. We're going for the sweep tomorrow! Nice!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    NY PJ1 wrote:

they have mo-hawks ,,bald with dirty beards..they wear big necklaces from hawaii and shit ,, plus dirty dreads

TIED FOR WILDCARD !!!

I don't know, but we won!

YES!!!!!! Go Yankees!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    cause he wasn't a player. Al Leiter must want to slap him when they are in the booth together!

Sweet win. We're going for the sweep tomorrow! Nice!

They're friends so I don't know.
    I miss igotid88
    Allie02 wrote:
    I don't know, but we won!

YES!!!!!! Go Yankees!

they're idiots,, o wait they know it

clowns is a good word
  • NY PJ1 wrote:

TIED FOR WILDCARD !!!

well when they play that well for the season, they can look however they want..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • well when they play that well for the season, they can look however they want..

hey since you are sometimes behind the scenes there...cotton eye joe??? is that really live in the controll room...it looks the same to me everytime...:)
  • hey since you are sometimes behind the scenes there...cotton eye joe??? is that really live in the controll room...it looks the same to me everytime...:)

he's not, it's pre-recorded. i actually went to college with the guy.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    hey since you are sometimes behind the scenes there...cotton eye joe??? is that really live in the controll room...it looks the same to me everytime...:)
    OMG I"M SO JEL
    WHAT A GAME FOR YOU TO BE AT!!!! Did you have a good time? What did you eat?! :)

Not yelling, just for emphasis
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    OMG I"M SO JEL
    WHAT A GAME FOR YOU TO BE AT!!!! Did you have a good time? What did you eat?! :)

Not yelling, just for emphasis

I had the popcorn and a regular coke, I also got myself a brand new hat

the game was so good and the team played so well, (except for kyle).....moe, watching him come out on the field was the turning point of the game for me, he also has the coolest theme song, sandman, and he saved the game....:D

yankees vs redsucks this rivalry omg there were fights and people getting thrown out of the game I guess it happens at all games but this time I actually saw things going on, which I never do,
  • I had the popcorn and a regular coke, I also got myself a brand new hat

the game was so good and the team played so well, (except for kyle).....moe, watching him come out on the field was the turning point of the game for me, he also has the coolest theme song, sandman, and he saved the game....:D

yankees vs redsucks this rivalry omg there were fights and people getting thrown out of the game I guess it happens at all games but this time I actually saw things going on, which I never do,

you can always tell when there's a fight. you know one is going down when you see everyone rise all at once and turn around away from the game.

I remember at a Knick-Pacer game, one broke out and during a timeout some of the Pacers were watching the action in the stands.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    I had the popcorn and a regular coke, I also got myself a brand new hat

tasty snack
    Oh no you got ripped off for the hat though! You have to get one outside the stadium or on River Ave, where they sell the "Got Melky" shirts! Oh well that's cool you got a hat.
    Mo is the MAN. He looked great tonight.

WOW, I've never seen a fight break out at Yanks Red Sox either! Wow that's crazy. I've seen drunken-ness but not fighting. It sounds like a thoroughly entertaining evening!
    Good for you!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • you can always tell when there's a fight. you know one is going down when you see everyone rise all at once and turn around away from the game.

I remember at a Knick-Pacer game, one broke out and during a timeout some of the Pacers were watching the action in the stands.

yeah everyone stood up and looked down below...I tried to see to...:)
    there was something on the opposite side to I saw I bunch of cops, all in navy, all draging some guy with a red shirt down the stairs in the tier section....

crazy crazy night
  • Allie02 wrote:
    tasty snack
    Oh no you got ripped off for the hat though! You have to get one outside the stadium or on River Ave, where they sell the "Got Melky" shirts! Oh well that's cool you got a hat.
    Mo is the MAN. He looked great tonight.

WOW, I've never seen a fight break out at Yanks Red Sox either! Wow that's crazy. I've seen drunken-ness but not fighting. It sounds like a thoroughly entertaining evening!
    Good for you!

yeah I know I could have gotten it cheaper but I wanted my hat to be totally official merchandise...ya know like gucci:)
    yeah I know I could have gotten it cheaper but I wanted my hat to be totally official merchandise...ya know like gucci:)
    Oh EXCUSE ME Miss Thing:P J/k. You and your gucci and your overpriced mocha! :)

Yea but you can get official MLB gear in like Modell's or Sports Authority for way cheaper than at the Stadium. They mark up their gear like 200 percent!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    yeah everyone stood up and looked down below...I tried to see to...:)
    there was something on the opposite side to I saw I bunch of cops, all in navy, all draging some guy with a red shirt down the stairs in the tier section....

crazy crazy night

Whoa. Well isn't it still a full moon, or no?

That's crazy.
    Red shirt, eh?

freaking Red Sox fans! :)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    Oh EXCUSE ME Miss Thing:P J/k. You and your gucci and your overpriced mocha! :)

Yea but you can get official MLB gear in like Modell's or Sports Authority for way cheaper than at the Stadium. They mark up their gear like 200 percent!

I know omg last year I got a girls tank top at the stadium for like 25 or 30 I saw the same thing with the same tags at modells for like 10 or 13...I wanted to take it back but the tags were off by then......
    I know omg last year I got a girls tank top at the stadium for like 25 or 30 I saw the same thing with the same tags at modells for like 10 or 13...I wanted to take it back but the tags were off by then......
    whoa!
    some of the stuff they have there is really cute but whoa, that's pricey!

I have a derek t-shirt, a tank top, a t-shirt from the 2004 AL East championships, and I got a necklace with NY Logo. I think I bought that in the Village somewhere. And my Yankees cap is Pink! I got that in Astoria.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    whoa!

I have a derek t-shirt, a tank top, a t-shirt from the 2004 AL East championships, and I got a necklace with NY Logo. I think I bought that in the Village somewhere. And my Yankees cap is Pink! I got that in Astoria.

pink. what gang is that from?
    I miss igotid88
    Allie02 wrote:
    whoa!

pink. what gang does that represent?
    I miss igotid88
  • StuartCStuartC Posts: 33
    I'm goin to the game today. I always like it when I get to see Wang pitch in person. Sweep here would be huge. The Playoffs are in sight!

Oh yeah... then I'm off to the Rutgers game tonight. 1 day, 2 teams destined to be champions (and no, not the BoSox and Buffalo)!
    "Hey I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind..."
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Haven't looked at the actual stats but the Yanks seem to be much better at home. I know that is pretty normal, but as of late it's been like night and day. Speaking of day, I don't get why we have a day game today. It's Yanks/Sox. You don't put that on during the day in the middle of the week during a pennant race.

Let's see how Seattle responds to getting swept by the Halos. Couldn't have come at a better time for the Yanks. To quote George Costanza: "We're back BABY!".

Tied for the Wild Card Race
    1 up in the W column
    1 down in the L column
    Brian
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Odd strike zone last night. Calling inside and high strikes.
    Guess I was wrong with the 2 out of 3. 2 out of 3 the other way.
    Rivera is God by the way. 5 pitch ninth? WTF.

Too bad you couldnt beat the Tigers a few games. Todays game could be for first place. Instead, the best you can do is get within 5.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
    thank god we got clemens to throw back at these fools

poor manny,, my heart bleeds for him
    Odd strike zone last night. Calling inside and high strikes.
    Guess I was wrong with the 2 out of 3. 2 out of 3 the other way.
    Rivera is God by the way. 5 pitch ninth? WTF.

Too bad you couldnt beat the Tigers a few games. Todays game could be for first place. Instead, the best you can do is get within 5.

yanks have won division 11 years or so in a row,, they wanna give u a fighting chance
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    Awesome article on Joba and Cash's philosphy over the last few seasons:

Bust Olney:
    The savior is summoned from the bullpen. As he begins his journey across the outfield grass, the crowd in Yankee Stadium rises to its feet. It's a murky August day, but with the Yankees trying to haul themselves into contention, it feels like October. The full house is in full throat, and when public address announcer Bob Sheppard introduces the pitcher, the roar gets even louder.

Four infielders and catcher Jorge Posada wait on the mound with Joe Torre, all of them watching the pitcher, because his entrance is always a can't-miss event. He reaches the apron of the mound, and Alex Rodriguez nods at him. Torre gives him the ball. There are more eyes on the pitcher than on Tiger at the 18th hole of the Masters, and even greater expectations.

Dave Sandford/Getty Images

Joba Chamberlain has 17 strikeouts and has allowed just four hits in 10 innings pitched thus far for the Yankees.
    Mariano Rivera watches from the bullpen as the savior, Joba Chamberlain, warms up for his seventh inning in the big leagues. On this day, he has been asked to shut down the middle of the Detroit lineup. With the Yankees up 4-3 in the seventh, Chamberlain pumps fastballs at Gary Sheffield, who cannot catch up to a chest-high, 98 mph bullet and pops out. Magglio Ordonez, the Tigers' MVP candidate, flails at the vapor trails of three fastballs and whiffs. Two outs. Carlos Guillen gets Chamberlain's slider, which seems to be a hybrid of Ron Guidry's Louisiana lightning and Rivera's cutter, and because he is wary of the fastball, he cannot check his swing. Nine pitches, three outs, two punch-outs, one more inning of total domination. The fans are on their feet again as Chamberlain walks off, his teammates tapping him with their gloves as they pass.

The response to Chamberlain reflects his talents. "He's got physical tools that come along once in a lifetime," says bullpen coach Joe Kerrigan, who worked with a young Randy Johnson in Montreal. But Yankee fans also love Chamberlain because of what he represents. The 21-year-old right-hander is the most gifted product of GM Brian Cashman's 24-month organizational reconstruction, the crown jewel of the club's attempt to turn back the clock to the days when the farm system teemed with prospects suited to the inherent pressure of being Yankees. Where once there was Bernie and Jeter and Rivera and Posada and Pettitte, there is now Phil Hughes, another 21-year-old righty whose laid-back demeanor belies his electric stuff; Melky Cabrera, the underrated, understated 23-year-old center fielder who keeps up a steady stream of sandlot chatter during games; and Joba (pronounced JOB-ba), whose shoulders are as square as the southwestern notch of his home state, Nebraska.

A river of youth flows through the Bronx.

TWO YEARS AGO, exhausted from fighting the internal wars that come with the territory, Cashman decided to walk away. "There were a lot of cooks in the kitchen," he says now. Even as he prepared for his departure, he told George Steinbrenner that the organization needed a major makeover. Rather than having various departments -- scouting, player development, the big league club -- report separately to Steinbrenner, Cashman argued, the team needed a linear chain of command, led by a single executive who answered only to The Boss. "You shouldn't have to look for someone to blame," Cashman told Steinbrenner. "One person should be responsible."

After spending his entire working life with the Yankees, Cashman had reluctantly concluded that he wasn't going to be that person. He was convinced that Steinbrenner would never restructure the way he suggested, and in the last days before his contract was set to expire, on Oct. 31, 2005, he informed general partner Steve Swindal and team president Randy Levine that he was going. Cashman's phone rang almost immediately. On the other end was a familiar voice. "Why don't you do what you're recommending?" The Boss asked.

Cashman quickly rededicated the scouting and player development departments to doing what they'd done so well in the early '90s: finding and fostering high-ceiling talent, particularly pitchers. Cashman wanted the team to stop making safe draft picks; he wanted it to take chances. After all, the Yankees had the money to cover their mistakes.

Chamberlain, for one, wasn't always a high-ceiling talent. Three years ago, he was just a heavy kid who'd been a manager of his high school basketball team. But after a year at D2 Nebraska-Kearney, he transferred to Nebraska and learned how to throw a slider. By the winter of 2005-06, he was regarded as a rock-solid first-rounder, but in the weeks leading up to the draft his stock slipped, fueled by rumors that his diminished velocity was the result of hidden arm trouble, not fatigue. Yankees scouting director Damon Oppenheimer wasn't one of the doubters. Then again, the team's first supplemental pick was 41st overall.

On draft day, the conference call began, and in the war room, Yankees officials started to pull the placards of their highest-rated players off the board as they were picked by other teams. Deep into the first round, Chamberlain's placard was still hanging, all by itself. "There's no way he'll get to us," Oppenheimer said aloud. But as the draft moved into the "sandwich picks," between the first and second rounds, Chamberlain still hadn't been taken. "You don't think this could happen, do you?" Oppenheimer asked another executive. And then it did. At No. 41, an ecstatic Oppenheimer submitted the name of Joba Chamberlain.

Of course, before Chamberlain made it to the big leagues this summer, things had to go very badly for the Yankees, and for Brian Cashman.

STEINBRENNER'S ARRIVAL at Yankee Stadium once prompted organization-wide 911 calls, with everybody from receptionists to custodians to players to executives tracking his movements as if he were a swirling mass on Doppler radar. But Steinbrenner turned 77 in July, and these days he's rarely in New York, instead addressing most of his reduced workload with phone calls from Tampa. (Despite reports that his employer is failing mentally and physically, Cashman says they still talk strategy three or four times a day, every day.) In bad times, the reduced contact between Steinbrenner and his employees can generate waves of uncertainty.

The rotation was a mess in April, and the offense shriveled in May, and as the Red Sox moved 14½ games ahead, others in the organization believed there was a real chance Cashman would be stripped of his power. "He's on a big hook," Steinbrenner said of Cashman in a rare interview with the Associated Press, speaking words he'd said repeatedly to his GM's face. "He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver."

As the Yankees continued to regress, Cashman was befuddled and discouraged.

"I can't believe we're this bad," he told an executive of another club.

Still, he was resolute in his belief that the organization was on the right course, and he wasn't about to look for any quick fixes. Cashman had long been peppered with inquiries from other teams about Hughes. "We're not going to move him," Cashman replied. "He's part of the group that will either succeed or fail with us."

Some rivals wondered if the GM was too protective of his young players.

"It's one thing to like your own prospects," says a veteran talent evaluator. "But when you start saying no to everything, you're in jeopardy of overvaluing your own guys. In some cases, I think that's what Brian is doing."

But now the Yankees are entering the stretch riding a 29-14 second-half surge to within striking distance of the wild card, and it looks as if Cashman's youngsters might have saved the season. Cabrera, whose range and arm complement a .293 batting average, has supplanted Johnny Damon in center. Emerging from a hellish slump, 24-year-old second baseman Robinson Cano has hit .366 since the break. Shelley Duncan, a 27-year-old rookie first baseman, was promoted on July 20 and slammed four homers in his first 21 at-bats. Hughes, recovered from a strained hamstring, has lent stability to the rotation. And Chamberlain, called up amid much fanfare in early August, struck out 14 of the 28 batters he faced in his first 15 days in the majors.

But their biggest contribution might be the energy they bring to the clubhouse. Cano and Cabrera often begin their workdays with power lunches and afternoon workouts alongside A-Rod and end them with victorious chest-bumps. Duncan, the son of Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, is gregarious and outgoing -- the team mascot, Torre jokingly calls him -- and he seems to share a running gag with everybody. Each day, for example, players fill out a ticket-request sign-up sheet, listing guests and the number of tickets they need; everyone leaves the comment line empty. That's a vacuum Duncan has to fill, inventing new responses daily. Good friend. Went to high school together, he might write, or Met them at the museum.

Chamberlain, meanwhile, is usually stone-faced in the bullpen. But early in one August game, TV cameras caught him trying to flip his cap onto his head and jiggling around until it settled in place. "It's totally different than it was here five years ago, with these guys," says one Yankee vet. "It's fun."

Chamberlain and Hughes and Cabrera each make less in a year than Roger Clemens earns in four days, but that sets them up better for the Bronx pressure cooker. "When young players come in," Cashman says, "the fans and the media are aware of them, but they don't expect them to go 3-for-4 every game. Then the reaction can be, 'Hey, this guy is pretty good.' "

The game is filled with pressure. Some of the best players fail 65 percent of the time. So there's no sense in worrying.
    -- Joba Chamberlain

CHAMBERLAIN'S FATHER, Harlan, had polio as a boy, which forced him into a wheelchair. His resilience shapes his son, who has impressed older Yankees with his presence and work habits. Some believe Chamberlain is influencing Hughes, too, by arriving early, preparing diligently and presuming nothing.

He often can be seen chatting with, and listening to, Clemens (they share the same agent), and in his first hours in the bigs, Joba talked strategy with Rivera in the bullpen in Toronto. "This game can be taken away from you in a heartbeat," he says. "It would be a sin to be around guys like that and not ask questions."

Chamberlain would seem to have the perfect makeup and stuff to replace Rivera, if not for the fact that he's always been a starter and the Yankees plan to put him in the rotation next year. The Red Sox, of course, once had a similar plan for Jonathan Papelbon.

Before Chamberlain pitched his first inning, Kerrigan made a point to look into his face, because long ago, Expos manager Felipe Alou told him you could see a lot in a face in a moment like that. "There wasn't any tenseness," Kerrigan recalls. "You're talking about someone 21 years old. That's pretty special."

Chamberlain admits that what Kerrigan sees is what you get. "The game is filled with pressure," he says. "Some of the best players fail 65 percent of the time. So there's no sense in worrying."

For now, when the bullpen phone rings for Chamberlain, he'll stand and get right to work, tossing his fastball and his slider, then mixing in a changeup, another high-caliber pitch he might not have to use in a game until he becomes a starter again. When he's warmed up, he'll step through the bullpen door and walk into a future of promise. And that gives the Yankees the promise of a future.