Options

Will the Canadian Public understand

Comments

• Options
    Care to elaborate since I don't see it. Harper seems to want to go by the will of Parliament on a lot of things (even if he personally doesn't like them), Bush vetoes anything that he doesn't like. Bush totally wears his religion like a badge even commentating that God chose him to be president, Harper keeps his faith to himself. Bush uses his wife and family to help his political career, Harper tries to shield his family from the public eye. I think they are totally different, I would be curious as to how they are the same.

North American Union for starters. He's just playing along like Martin did.

also if you have to publicly state for the record you are not a bush clone (in those exact words I believe)...chances are you have become exactly that.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    North American Union for starters. He's just playing along like Martin did.

also if you have to publicly state for the record you are not a bush clone (in those exact words I believe)...chances are you have become exactly that.

He went against Bush on the northwest passage and he is pretty strong on Canadian Arctic sovereignty, doesn't really sound like playing along to me. If increasing our economic ties with our biggest trading partner is just for starters please feel free to add more.

On top of the differences in personality I have already mentioned, Bush also likes to play up the Texas regular average American guy part of his personality (who might not be very smart), Harper is a smart guy who makes not attempts to hid that to appeal to voters.
  • Options
    He went against Bush on the northwest passage and he is pretty strong on Canadian Arctic sovereignty, doesn't really sound like playing along to me. If increasing our economic ties with our biggest trading partner is just for starters please feel free to add more.

On top of the differences in personality I have already mentioned, Bush also likes to play up the Texas regular average American guy part of his personality (who might not be very smart), Harper is a smart guy who makes not attempts to hid that to appeal to voters.

Soon Canadians will learn how much Harper has sold out Canada's sovereignty with all the secret back room meetings to determine the very future of Canada as a country itself.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Soon Canadians will learn how much Harper has sold out Canada's sovereignty with all the secret back room meetings to determine the very future of Canada as a country itself.

Again feel free to post any examples of this since so far you have only given one and the rest just seems to be your personal opinion.
  • Options
    Again feel free to post any examples of this since so far you have only given one and the rest just seems to be your personal opinion.

The NAU is personal opinion?

Find out about it. I've posted a fair amount about in this forum.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Who the hell is that nice looking dark-skinned woman who seems to speak for Canada at those public occasions of substance? My goodness, she is fine.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    The NAU is personal opinion?

Find out about it. I've posted a fair amount about in this forum.

I hardly think agreeing on one issue makes him a Bush clone. If that was true then pretty much every world leader would be a clone of every other world leader.
  • Options
    ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    gue_barium wrote:
    Who the hell is that nice looking dark-skinned woman who seems to speak for Canada at those public occasions of substance? My goodness, she is fine.

that is our gov-general and yes she is very good looking. she is our connection to the queen in england
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • Options
    I hardly think agreeing on one issue makes him a Bush clone. If that was true then pretty much every world leader would be a clone of every other world leader.

what about the war, the new policy on drugs, climate change. same sex marriage.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."

• Options

i don't really agree with that last statement. Harper did play up his "i am not a career politician like the others" in the last election. and also, every PM has had ties to teh amercans so that is not so different. the only difference is that when we had a liberal as PM we also Clinton in the office in the states.

• Options
    Thecure wrote:
    what about the war, the new policy on drugs, climate change. same sex marriage.

Same sex marriage Harper deffered to the will of parliment (which is basically the will of the people) even though it is something he personally disagreed with. Don't you think if congress passed a law allowing for sam sex marriage that Bush wouldn't instantly veto that thing. Plus I am pretty sure the new climate change legislation is way stronger than anything in the US.
  • Options
    Thecure wrote:
    i don't really agree with that last statement. Harper did play up his "i am not a career politician like the others" in the last election. and also, every PM has had ties to teh amercans so that is not so different. the only difference is that when we had a liberal as PM we also Clinton in the office in the states.

What I meant was, I think that Bush is a fairly smart guy who dumbs down his personality to appeal to the average American voters (I think a lot of voters in the US would rather have a guy who was just like them in the office compared to someone who they think is smarter than them. And I think a lot of his dumb guy personality is just an act). I mean the guy was raised and educated in New England and yet he still speaks with a pronounced Texas accent. I really can't see Steven Harper dumbing down his personality to get voters.
  • Options
    Same sex marriage Harper deffered to the will of parliment (which is basically the will of the people) even though it is something he personally disagreed with. Don't you think if congress passed a law allowing for sam sex marriage that Bush wouldn't instantly veto that thing. Plus I am pretty sure the new climate change legislation is way stronger than anything in the US.

same sex marriage as was stated before when it was passed by the libs. is something that should not be voted at all. it is a Charter issue. Harper bring that up was nothing but politics. it is a way of saying to people who don't agree with same-sex marriage, look we tried to change that law.

secondly, climate change legislation might be stronger than the oen in the US but do basically say we can reach some goals we are giving up is very much like Bush. it's like saying listen we can't give tax breaks to everyone but we will try to give it to some people. oh i forgot he did that already.
    I also notice that you didn't mention the war and the Drugs

• Options
    What I meant was, I think that Bush is a fairly smart guy who dumbs down his personality to appeal to the average American voters (I think a lot of voters in the US would rather have a guy who was just like them in the office compared to someone who they think is smarter than them. And I think a lot of his dumb guy personality is just an act). I mean the guy was raised and educated in New England and yet he still speaks with a pronounced Texas accent. I really can't see Steven Harper dumbing down his personality to get voters.

that might be true about bush and teh american public, sadly. i really think that harper does play up his western voters althought he was raised in Ontario.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    They should put a spending cap on election campaigns, just like there are NHL salary caps.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    They should put a spending cap on election campaigns, just like there are NHL salary caps.

that might be a proble with our freedom of speech. if i want to giv emoney to the NDP, LIBERALS, GREEN and the con. i want them to be able to use that money. also, we do give a specfic amount of money to parties that are recoginzed.

• Options
    What? Stephen Harper is still Prime Minister?
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    What? Stephen Harper is still Prime Minister?

been away long?

• Options
    Thecure wrote:
    been away long?

nice to meet you...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    nice to meet you...

nice to me you too. i see you are from Montreal. what do you think abotu the report abotu making immigrants learn french.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071019.MAROIS19/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/

does not sound very quebec like

• Options

It's a lot bigger than one issue. The NAU/SPP agreement is Harper essentially turning into and thinking exactly like Bush.

"There are over 300 initiatives in the SPP aimed at harmonizing North American policies on food, drugs, security, immigration, refugees, manufacturing, the environment, and public health."

http://www.canadians.org/integratethis/backgrounders/guide/ABCs.html

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Thecure wrote:
    nice to me you too. i see you are from Montreal. what do you think abotu the report abotu making immigrants learn french.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071019.MAROIS19/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/

does not sound very quebec like

hmm wanna get into that?

Immigrants should be learning french and there's already laws in place for that, i agree with that part, but i mostly agree that 100% of the population in Quebec should be bilingual, they should push for that, the % of bilingual in Quebec is already extremely higher than in the Canada (outside Quebec) so it would be great to pave the way and achieve a 100% (or close) bilingual population in this province, since it's not about to happen in Canada.

As for the "bill" (1st time i read about it, in the Globe and Mail, so i have reserve, but once you've pass the crap they're putting on top of the article, it looks good) :

"establish a "Quebec citizenship" that would require all immigrants to have an "appropriate knowledge" of French to be sworn in as Quebec citizens."

-sort of agree, only a little bit extreme, again, bilingual should be the target.

"Those who fail to meet the language test would be barred from running for public office, funding political parties or addressing petitions to the National Assembly."

-Stupid and will never pass.

"The bill would extend the French obligation to all companies with 25 employees or more."

-100% in agreement

"The proposed citizenship requirements were crafted with the commission hearings in mind, and the PQ is proposing they be included in a Quebec constitution that would define the "fundamental values of the Quebec nation." These would include the equality of men and women, the separation of state and religion, and the protection and promotion of Quebec culture, which would ensure the predominance of the French language."

-Agree with the principle, just disagree with extreme measure to achieve it. Equality of men and women, separation of state and religion are two things you can't disagree with.

"Under the proposed Quebec identity bill, immigrants would be required to pledge to be "loyal to the people of Quebec" and fulfill their duties in compliance with the Quebec constitution. A person found to obtain citizenship under fraud or false pretences would cease to be a Quebec citizen."

-why not

In the end other than some crap i agree with it...

edit: these guys still mention bill 101 with the always good tag "controversial" haha. Shove it, it did worked...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Thecure wrote:
    that might be a proble with our freedom of speech. if i want to giv emoney to the NDP, LIBERALS, GREEN and the con. i want them to be able to use that money. also, we do give a specfic amount of money to parties that are recoginzed.

Politics should be about giving ideas, not money. Spend your money better and give it to charity, not crooks.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Politics should be about giving ideas, not money. Spend your money better and give it to charity, not crooks.

it hard for people to put ideas out to the public without the money. i also give money to charities as i work for one.

• Options
    hmm wanna get into that?

Immigrants should be learning french and there's already laws in place for that, i agree with that part, but i mostly agree that 100% of the population in Quebec should be bilingual, they should push for that, the % of bilingual in Quebec is already extremely higher than in the Canada (outside Quebec) so it would be great to pave the way and achieve a 100% (or close) bilingual population in this province, since it's not about to happen in Canada.

As for the "bill" (1st time i read about it, in the Globe and Mail, so i have reserve, but once you've pass the crap they're putting on top of the article, it looks good) :

"establish a "Quebec citizenship" that would require all immigrants to have an "appropriate knowledge" of French to be sworn in as Quebec citizens."

-sort of agree, only a little bit extreme, again, bilingual should be the target.

"Those who fail to meet the language test would be barred from running for public office, funding political parties or addressing petitions to the National Assembly."

-Stupid and will never pass.

"The bill would extend the French obligation to all companies with 25 employees or more."

-100% in agreement

"The proposed citizenship requirements were crafted with the commission hearings in mind, and the PQ is proposing they be included in a Quebec constitution that would define the "fundamental values of the Quebec nation." These would include the equality of men and women, the separation of state and religion, and the protection and promotion of Quebec culture, which would ensure the predominance of the French language."

-Agree with the principle, just disagree with extreme measure to achieve it. Equality of men and women, separation of state and religion are two things you can't disagree with.

"Under the proposed Quebec identity bill, immigrants would be required to pledge to be "loyal to the people of Quebec" and fulfill their duties in compliance with the Quebec constitution. A person found to obtain citizenship under fraud or false pretences would cease to be a Quebec citizen."

-why not

In the end other than some crap i agree with it...

edit: these guys still mention bill 101 with the always good tag "controversial" haha. Shove it, it did worked...

I hav ealways had a great respect for Quebec with their social services and other views. but teh wording of "citizenship" is hard for me. it kind of makes it look like Quebec is it owns country. i understand that they are a nation, as even the PM has stated that, but should this be proposed when/if Quebec becomes it's own country. i don't know.

• Options
    so the liberals had their Ad scam btu atleast they brought in a person to check. if homethis is true that the Cons did this will they do the same.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071018.wtoryspend1018/BNStory/National/

• Options
    Thecure wrote:
    I hav ealways had a great respect for Quebec with their social services and other views. but teh wording of "citizenship" is hard for me. it kind of makes it look like Quebec is it owns country. i understand that they are a nation, as even the PM has stated that, but should this be proposed when/if Quebec becomes it's own country. i don't know.

you're right, it should be something to do in a Quebec country, that's why it probably won't happen now. But the idea and concept is ok, only not the time...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/275643

thank you so much for lowering my taxes, of course you raised it last year by th esame amount you lowered it this year. but thanks again

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    yeah ... it gets worse and worse every week with this guy harper ...

i love his grassroots community speech and then they axe a guy who got huge supporting from his riding branch ... anyways - he is doing it his way ... a way that is good for alberta but gives a big fuck off to everyone else ...

cut the gst?? ... huge surpluses ... meanwhile he continues to do absolutely nothing about climate change, deal with the prosperity gap or anything else for that matter ...

the liberals are without backbone and unfortunately, the only one willing to try and be an opposition is layton and ndp and people won't vote for them because ... well ... just because ...
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    Thecure wrote:
    http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/275643

thank you so much for lowering my taxes, of course you raised it last year by th esame amount you lowered it this year. but thanks again

this guy fucked ontario into the ground and made money for his buddies - you think that's gonna change while he's running the country?

yes ... i'm bitter today ... :p