Options

Mosquito bites

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    sagapo1 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    What did she do when Eddie went off on her? :lol:

She just quickly disappeared. I think she made from the 3rd row to the parking lot in less than five minutes.

I don't think it's funny. You never know how someone is thinking or feeling.
    I hate when people laugh at someone else getting hurt.
    I don't care what she did.[/quote]

Again, if you're going to expose yourself to 20,000 people, you've pretty much checked shame at the door already.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited May 2009
    :lol:
    Post edited by PJFAN_seattle on
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    sagapo1 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    What did she do when Eddie went off on her? :lol:

She just quickly disappeared. I think she made from the 3rd row to the parking lot in less than five minutes.

I don't think it's funny. You never know how someone is thinking or feeling.
    I hate when people laugh at someone else getting hurt.
    I don't care what she did.

Again, if you're going to expose yourself to 20,000 people, you've pretty much checked shame at the door already.[/quote]

I understand. I just have this vast amount of empathy in me. I think it's in the genes.
    I hate this story. Always have.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Options
    sagapo1 wrote:
    I understand. I just have this vast amount of empathy in me. I think it's in the genes.

that's why you're the masked crusader...and we are just simple folk.
  • Options
    sagapo1 wrote:

that's why you're the masked crusader...and we are just simple folk.

I don't think any Pearl Jam fans are "simple" ;)

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I've heard this bootleg before and it's important to note -as others have pointed out- that there were several times throughout this show where Eddie warned her to cut it out.

This type of behaviour may be the norm at hair metal concerts, and was probably condoned back in 1987, But Jesus Christ...This was a Pearl Jam concert!!! and anyone with half a brain should realize that this shit was not going to fly. I think the fact that this waterhead continued to flash her chest in spite of Eddie's warnings is what obviously set him off and provoked him to come down on her as strong as he did.

I can't imagine how annoying this must have been to not only the band but the people around her. I think she got what she deserved. As harsh as the comments may have come across, they served their purpose in getting this boozed up whore to stop embarassing herself, the band, and the audience.

Thankfully she'll never pull this kind of twisted bat shit at another Pearl Jam concert...Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past her to pull up her top and flash her bites off to Chad Kroger, Scott Stapp, or Jon Bon Jovi. I bet those leather pant wearing scumbags would probably get off on that type of thing; thankfully Eddie is cut from a different mold and has no problem putting drunken vermin like this in their place.

Her parents must be so proud.

Good post, pretty much agree with you, especially regarding those leather pant wearing scumbags.
    The only thing I disagree with is, IF, and I said IF he chose the words 'mosquito bites' in reference to this girls small chest size. That would be harsh, not her fault.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Good post, pretty much agree with you, especially regarding those leather pant wearing scumbags.
    The only thing I disagree with is, IF, and I said IF he chose the words 'mosquito bites' in reference to this girls small chest size. That would be harsh, not her fault.
    What else do you think he meant? It might not be her fault if she has small breasts, but it was her choice to get them out.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696

I believe that the reference to mosquito bites was aimed directly at this particular person and not towards a generalized population of women.

It was more a tactical way of shooting down this particular persons ego -or whatever else it may have been- that was causing her to pull up her top.
  • Options
    Poor Eddie, he'll never live this down.
    He'll be 80 and still hear this story.
    It keeps getting regurgitated.

• Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    Hopefully this story will keep other young females in check. Maybe not every male is enticed by someone who is so eager to give it up...I can't believe I said that...I don't normally give men that much credit... :? :oops:

hey, hey,hey!! not all of us are pigs ya know!!!....................some of us are dogs!! :P ;):lol::lol:
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    you know, i really wish i had never heard this story...

yes, what she was doing was obnoxious and misguided, but i mostly just feel sad for her. women are so objectified by this culture that they start doing it to THEMSELVES... i always feel bad for women who feel like their only way to get attention or power is to use sex. so i don't think it was her ego, really... i think it's the exact opposite. she got called out for doing something that, in many other contexts, would have been rewarded and provided her with a screwed up sense of validation...

as for ed's comment... maybe it's funny in theory, but seeing it made me cringe... i've done my fair share of trash-talking after a few drinks, but there is a big difference between putting someone in check at a bar and calling someone out from the stage with thousands of people cheering you on. yeah, she was repeatedly ignoring gentler suggestions to put her clothes back on, but the end result of ed's rant was just to further squash someone who already clearly lacks a sense of self and power.
  • Options
    you know, i really wish i had never heard this story...

yes, what she was doing was obnoxious and misguided, but i mostly just feel sad for her. women are so objectified by this culture that they start doing it to THEMSELVES... i always feel bad for women who feel like their only way to get attention or power is to use sex. so i don't think it was her ego, really... i think it's the exact opposite. she got called out for doing something that, in many other contexts, would have been rewarded and provided her with a screwed up sense of validation...

as for ed's comment... maybe it's funny in theory, but seeing it made me cringe... i've done my fair share of trash-talking after a few drinks, but there is a big difference between putting someone in check at a bar and calling someone out from the stage with thousands of people cheering you on. yeah, she was repeatedly ignoring gentler suggestions to put her clothes back on, but the end result of ed's rant was just to further squash someone who already clearly lacks a sense of self and power.

oh jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! talk about over analyzing the situation...now you got your Freud cap on!! maybe she was just a dumb whore....or maybe she was a Phd who like to show her tits...maybe she was drunk...maybe she has daddy issues...maybe, maybe ....i could go on and on and on! simple fact is...she pissed Ed off and her actions caused his reaction...next time Ed should just say..."will the lady in the 3rd row please put her floppies away..you're distracting Stone, he has already missed 4 chords in the last song and he can't hold his guitar right when he's "excited"!!"
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I think way too many people put Eddie on a pedestal. He's only human and says shit just like the rest of us. Fact is, the girl was annoying him, and he had enough after telling her to stop repeatedly, and she just didn't get it all the times before. It was harsh, but he was clearly done. We've all been there.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    next time Ed should just say..."will the lady in the 3rd row please put her floppies away..you're distracting Stone, he has already missed 4 chords in the last song and he can't hold his guitar right when he's "excited"!!"

Ha Ha
    Now that was fucking funny!!
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Jeanwah wrote:
    He's only human and says shit just like the rest of us...
    We've all been there.

Honestly, no I haven't.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I love this rant!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    I've been watching this thread for the last day or so, and I have to say that it's been a blast. :lol: A few observations / opinions:

1) Let me get this straight: A girl exposes her breasts at a rock n' roll concert, and she's somehow used as an example of everything that is wrong with society? What's next? Will people start smoking marijuana and getting drunk at Pearl Jam shows? How 70's and 80's of them! How dare these exhibitonists, dope smokers, and drunks pollute our precious little "alternative" scene. Don't they know that only the guy singing on stage is allowed to enjoy himself in that manner?! JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE!!!!! I am going to go out on a limb here, and show everyone what a sexist pig I am. If a girl feels the need to show her breasts at a concert, I for one will not be ashamed of looking in her general vicinity. While I agree that encouraging a girl to do something like this, or groping women in "the pit" is disgusting, showing boobs / looking at boobs is NOT a big deal. Get over yourselves.

2) Ed's comment was fucked. Yeah, he hinted that the girls was annoying him. Point taken. Yet, admonishing someone about such a silly thing in front of 20,000 people is wrong. It's not like the days when Ed would stop a show in order to get the crowd under control, or keep security in line. Those were examples of protecting his audience. The girl wanted Ed's attention, and guess what.....Ed gave her attention. No matter how "distracting" this girl was being, following up her little antics with a sexist statement doesn't exactly make Ed look like a saint. Last time I checked, Ed was a human being, not some holier than though diety. Some of our community will take whatever Ed says as gospel, which is the same kind of idol worship the band rallied against for most of their career. Let's suppose that the girl in question wasn't flat chested. Let's say she weighed 400 pounds. If Ed called her a "fat bitch", I am CERTAIN that a few of the sheep around these parts would find a way to justify THAT as well. Am I wrong about this?

At the end of the day, Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band. What has gotten under my skin recently is that there are a few of my fellow fans who are just delusional about what this band and it's fans represent. Our PJ community is not some utopian bubble, as so many people here seem to believe. I've been to a ton of PJ shows, and I've seen how much of a "Jamily" we really are. I have bought dinner and drinks (plus provided a puff or two) to a couple of Ten Clubbers, and when I later asked for a lift to our hotel room (less than a mile from the venue) I was told that it wasn't convenient. I have been admonished by fellow Ten-Clubbers for having a toke, while they let their ten year old son drink beer after beer in the venue. OUR COMMUNITY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER FAN BASE. There are some really kick-ass fans, and a number of seriously selfish people as well.

I don't put my values on other fans. If I disagree with something I see, I keep my mouth shut and follow the line into the show. Somehow, there is a small group of fans who think it is their right to put THEIR values on the shoulders of another ticker buyer. Or worse, they put what they ASSUME is the band's values on another ticket buyer. Please people, get a serious grip on your egos. It's a concert, and you are very likely going to encounter people in the crowd who don't see things your way. Can't handle that? Then pehaps you need to find a band whose audience is all in agreement about everything. You know, like one of those neo-nazi skinhead bands. ALL of their fans see things the same way..........
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been watching this thread for the last day or so, and I have to say that it's been a blast. :lol: A few observations / opinions:

1) Let me get this straight: A girl exposes her breasts at a rock n' roll concert, and she's somehow used as an example of everything that is wrong with society? What's next? Will people start smoking marijuana and getting drunk at Pearl Jam shows? How 70's and 80's of them! How dare these exhibitonists, dope smokers, and drunks pollute our precious little "alternative" scene. Don't they know that only the guy singing on stage is allowed to enjoy himself in that manner?! JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE!!!!! I am going to go out on a limb here, and show everyone what a sexist pig I am. If a girl feels the need to show her breasts at a concert, I for one will not be ashamed of looking in her general vicinity. While I agree that encouraging a girl to do something like this, or groping women in "the pit" is disgusting, showing boobs / looking at boobs is NOT a big deal. Get over yourselves.

2) Ed's comment was fucked. Yeah, he hinted that the girls was annoying him. Point taken. Yet, admonishing someone about such a silly thing in front of 20,000 people is wrong. It's not like the days when Ed would stop a show in order to get the crowd under control, or keep security in line. Those were examples of protecting his audience. The girl wanted Ed's attention, and guess what.....Ed gave her attention. No matter how "distracting" this girl was being, following up her little antics with a sexist statement doesn't exactly make Ed look like a saint. Last time I checked, Ed was a human being, not some holier than though diety. Some of our community will take whatever Ed says as gospel, which is the same kind of idol worship the band rallied against for most of their career. Let's suppose that the girl in question wasn't flat chested. Let's say she weighed 400 pounds. If Ed called her a "fat bitch", I am CERTAIN that a few of the sheep around these parts would find a way to justify THAT as well. Am I wrong about this?

At the end of the day, Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band. What has gotten under my skin recently is that there are a few of my fellow fans who are just delusional about what this band and it's fans represent. Our PJ community is not some utopian bubble, as so many people here seem to believe. I've been to a ton of PJ shows, and I've seen how much of a "Jamily" we really are. I have bought dinner and drinks (plus provided a puff or two) to a couple of Ten Clubbers, and when I later asked for a lift to our hotel room (less than a mile from the venue) I was told that it wasn't convenient. I have been admonished by fellow Ten-Clubbers for having a toke, while they let their ten year old son drink beer after beer in the venue. OUR COMMUNITY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER FAN BASE. There are some really kick-ass fans, and a number of seriously selfish people as well.

I don't put my values on other fans. If I disagree with something I see, I keep my mouth shut and follow the line into the show. Somehow, there is a small group of fans who think it is their right to put THEIR values on the shoulders of another ticker buyer. Or worse, they put what they ASSUME is the band's values on another ticket buyer. Please people, get a serious grip on your egos. It's a concert, and you are very likely going to encounter people in the crowd who don't see things your way. Can't handle that? Then pehaps you need to find a band whose audience is all in agreement about everything. You know, like one of those neo-nazi skinhead bands. ALL of their fans see things the same way..........

You don't have any idea what Pearl Jam is about, do you? I'm just sayin'. Anybody who knows anything about this band should not be surprised AT ALL that this girl got the reaction that she did.

And did you say Ed's comment was sexist? If anything, Ed's comments were feminist. He was telling the girl she should have more self-respect than that.

Also, why are we getting irate over something that happened six years ago? Why don't we start an eight-page thread about how we can't believe they kicked Dave A out of the band? Now THERE'S a guy who would have loved some flashing titties!
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179

Well said!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options

Well said!

Not really.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Also, why are we getting irate over something that happened six years ago? Why don't we start an eight-page thread about how we can't believe they kicked Dave A out of the band? Now THERE'S a guy who would have loved some flashing titties![/quote]
    :lol:
  • Options
    LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191

Honestly, I'm shocked that it took 8 pages of posts and over a year and a half for someone in this thread to point out that a girl showing her tits at a rock concert is a fairly common thing and not that big a deal. We all know Ed has his principles. He had a valid point and a good message here, but the way he went about it is wrong. He could have ignored it or played it off in a better way (I like Crazy Breed's example). Whether he was frustrated or she deserved it or whatever, he was still wrong for what he did. Ed was WRONG!! Yea, I didn't think it was possible either :roll: , but it's the truth on this one.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    lostdogs77lostdogs77 Posts: 93

You speak a lot of truth. I just don't see all this as a high point, a great situation or Ed's
    greatest public address ever. I also don't think that it the greatest representation of what PJ
    is about. IMO it goes too far as have my words have at times in the past.
  • Options
    i think any person is able to do or say anything he or she wants. Why do people tell others how they should be?

In my perspective, both Eddie and the flashing girl are justified in their behaviors.

So you should stop telling people how they should be! ;):lol: :twisted: :ugeek: :o :?
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208

oh jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! talk about over analyzing the situation...now you got your Freud cap on!!

if i had my freud cap on i would have probably gone into why ed likes to poo on people... ;)
  • Options
    I'm going to wear a trench-coat to the next show and go streaking up and down the aisles.
    Anyone with me?
    "Pearl Jam fans gone wild."
    We'll start a nudist colony. :D

(I couldn't help myself)

• Options
    Maybe if we start talking about Jeff, this thread will get locked!
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173

You don't have any idea what Pearl Jam is about, do you? I'm just sayin'. Anybody who knows anything about this band should not be surprised AT ALL that this girl got the reaction that she did.

And did you say Ed's comment was sexist? If anything, Ed's comments were feminist. He was telling the girl she should have more self-respect than that.

Also, why are we getting irate over something that happened six years ago? Why don't we start an eight-page thread about how we can't believe they kicked Dave A out of the band? Now THERE'S a guy who would have loved some flashing titties!

Hmmm....... In fact, I'm sure I have a pretty good handle on what PJ is about. Seing how I've been a fan since "Ten" was released, I'm pretty positive I haven't missed much.

Would I have been surprised if Ed told the girl that "flashing boobs" wasn't what the band wanted, and that she should have more respect for herself? No, that wouldn't surprise me. What DID surprise me was that Ed decided to take the low road, and use the girls small chest as a way to get his point across. Ed is a pretty articulate man, so yeah....this wasn't his finest moment.

While I do belive that Ed is a feminist at heart, I also believe that he made a stupid, sexist remark in the heat of the moment. You could try and convince me all day long that referring to a woman's breasts as "mosquito bites" is a feminist move, but I'm not buying. I seem to recall that being a pretty popular insult around 5th grade, and none of those kids were feminist advocates.

And what in the HELL does Dave A. have to do with this conversation. OH!!! WAIT!!!!! Ed doesn't like him. Now it makes sense......... :roll:
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08