Options

The 20 Greatest Americans

124»

Comments

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    you really think eddie vedder is a greater american than ronald reagan? if it weren't for the latter, the last bastion of conservatism would be gone...
    Um, yeah ..... and that would be a bad thing how? ;)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Um, yeah ..... and that would be a bad thing how? ;)

Too easy :p
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Too easy :p
    I like the easy ones ... it's no secret that I'm lazy :D

And yes, I DO think that Ed is a better American than Ronald Reagan. Of course, there are countless millions of Americans in that group with him. Pretty much anyone who hasn't gone way out of their way to damage the country is in it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Daniel Ellsberg
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I like the easy ones ... it's no secret that I'm lazy :D

And yes, I DO think that Ed is a better American than Ronald Reagan. Of course, there are countless millions of Americans in that group with him. Pretty much anyone who hasn't gone way out of their way to damage the country is in it.

Really, I was ashamed I didn't pick up on that one. :p

I have never understood what people are talking about when they praise Reagan. It's almost like the 'thing to say' it seems.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    my2hands wrote:
    Daniel Ellsberg

Maybe. And maybe Seymour Hersch.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Yeah, the fighting racism by being a racist kinda guy.

actually, he renounced that and preached unity and brotherhood after going to mecca and africa and seeing ppl of every color there peacefully

"Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then — like all [black] Muslims — I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years. That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days — I'm glad to be free of them."
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Noam Chomsky? are you serious? obviously you are...which is funny in and of itself. by the way, where's Rush Limbaugh? people actually heard of him!

instead of the top "Americans" maybe you should rename the thread "the top 18 modern liberals with a few token nastolgic names tossed in of all time."

huh??? chomsky is the most cited author in history! hard to make the argument ppl haven't heard of him!
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Of the top of my head...

you have your daniel morgans, your john paul joneses, your teddy rosevelts, your andrew jacksons, your pat tillmans, your ronald reagans, your chuck norrises...your rush limbaughs and sean hannity's....

seriously...eddie vedder and noam chomsky in your all time top 20 americans? who would actually take that seriously?

andrew jackson - violated the supreme court and took land and property from native americans

ronald reagan - too much to name...lying to congress, arming terrorists, using the cia to help run drugs, shreding and altering documents, secret illegal wars....
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I agree that on second thought Miles Davis should have been in my list. I'm also thinking maybe Jack London too.

have you read the iron heel?

great list, btw, the kabong abides
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Wilfred Brimley

ahhhhahahahahaha

christie's uncle looks just like wilfred brimley and it's funny how she gets when i make a joke or impersonation (especially the diabetes commercials)

and her step dad looks like jerry garcia and is even missing 1/2 of his pinky
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

I've not read 'The iron heel'. I've read 'John Barleycorn', 'Martin Eden', and 'The Star Rover', along with bits and pieces about his Yukon days.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    El_Kabong wrote:
    ahhhhahahahahaha

christie's uncle looks just like wilfred brimley and it's funny how she gets when i make a joke or impersonation (especially the diabetes commercials)

:D:D:D

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/moomanbrimley1.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/ComicSutra/diabeetus.jpg
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/musetteanddrums/DIABEETUS.jpg
    http://www.kleptorecords.com/ridetheblinds/diabeetus.jpg
    http://www.toadking.com/6x9=42/diabeetus.jpg
    http://p-images.veoh.com/image.out?imageId=user-fffoff219.jpg&version=4
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Wilfred Brimley
    Andrew Jackson
    Kirk Cameron
    William Henry Harrison
    Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
    Robert Alphonso Taft
    Mancow
    Chris Daughtry
    Bob Hope
    Jaws
    L Ron Hubbard
    John D Rockefeller
    James K Polk
    Tucker Carlson
    Dr. Phil
    Brigham Young
    Bob Uecker
    The Burger King
    Dick Armey
    and of course
    Barbara Bush
    Awesome.

I laughed so hard when I read "the burger king", I shat meself.
    Thanks.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

the dude abides :D
  • Options
    ArmsinaVArmsinaV Posts: 108
    John Wayne.
    2000: Lubbock; 2003: OKC, Dallas, San Antonio; 2006: Los Angeles II, San Diego; 2008: Atlanta (EV Solo); 2012: Dallas (EV Solo); 2013: Dallas; 2014: Tulsa; 2018: Wrigley I
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    ArmsinaV wrote:
    John Wayne.
    Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. "I'm not going to cry about my Pa. I'm going to build an airport... Put my name on it." Why, Michael? So you can fly away from your feelings?
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    ahhhhahahahahaha

Damn you!

Let's not even get into your family... ;)

and very funny, Kenny. :D

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    did you forget MLK jr, or does he not make your list?

I didn't forget him. I weighed up MLK, Malcom X, Huey Newton, W D Dubois, Eldridge Cleaver, James Baldwin, and figured that Malcolm X had a far greater and effective influence than all the others.
    But feel free to disagree, and and I'd love to hear peoples reasons for disagreeing. This is, afterall, why I began this thread.
  • Options
    Damn you!

Let's not even get into your family... ;)

and very funny, Kenny. :D

Nothing like a domestic to brighten up the M.T!
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    They should be judged against the moral zeitgeist of the time.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

Nothing like a domestic to brighten up the M.T!

:p

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I didn't forget him. I weighed up MLK, Malcom X, Huey Newton, W D Dubois, Eldridge Cleaver, James Baldwin, and figured that Malcolm X had a far greater and effective influence than all the others.

very interesting

what makes you say that? sell me on it
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    This whole thread is full of worthless lists. Seriously, how can a list of great Americans be taken seriously when it doesn't include me?
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    This whole thread is full of worthless lists. Seriously, how can a list of great Americans be taken seriously when it doesn't include me?

I know, right? My list included you but I didn't post it 'cause I didn't wanna give you a big head. :p

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    zstillings wrote:
    Well, to be honest I was thinking about including you on my list but your location is working against you. Not a lot of great Americans in Washington these days. ;)
  • Options
    Bump (Just trawling through some old threads today)