Options

The 20 Greatest Americans

Comments

• Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I agree. Dubois could make my list, for sure.
    In the meantime, check out the Ken Burns film about JJ. It's an eye opener.
    You may say that Mohammed Ali just punched people too. We all know that's not the full picture. And things were a lot tougher in Johnsons day. He was just as abrasive, comical and rebellious as Ali during a time when half the U.S population wanted to see him hanging from a tree. The man was a great human being and a powerful force for change and for hope amongst black Americans at the turn of the century. He would have excelled in our own time - with our modern day cult of celebrity e.t.c. Again, he still managed to shine way back then, and against all the odds.

Ok, I'll compromise with you. JJ is on this list if WEB is too.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Ok, I'll compromise with you. JJ is on this list if WEB is too.

Deal. ;)
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    cool thread. list isnt bad either. :high five:

Thanks. High five back at ya!

Where's your list then? I'm waiting! ;)
  • Options
    Noam Chomsky? are you serious? obviously you are...which is funny in and of itself.

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/intellectuals/results.htm
    http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=7110

Looks like I'm not alone.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Byrnzie, nice thread. Too bad the majority simple doesn't get it.

I'll think about who I think are the 20 greatest Americans.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    but I've been thinking on it all day! ;) And this is my list people, and you know I don't give a toss about politics so try not to flame me please! :p

ELMO - THE GREATEST AMERICAN AMBASSADOR EVER!!!! :D
    Jim Henson
    Martha Jane Canary - Calamity Jane
    Tennessee Williams
    Amelia Earhart
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Thomas Eddison
    Ansel Adams
    Harper Lee
    Paul Newman
    Mae West
    Paul Robson
    Solomon Guggenheim

That'll do for now. I'll add the rest later. Need more think time! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Word. I picture you all being professors or wanna be professors wearing your cord suits with the elbow patches and no rim glasses and shit, or, dressed like militant soldiers waiting for the revolution to start.

All spittin hot fire.

You've got me all wrong man, all wrong. This is me popping down the shops for some milk and a loaf a bread...

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/mexico/marcos-waving.jpg
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

Jim Henson

Awesome!

I'm going to put Jasper Newton (Jack) Daniel on my list!

Byrnzie, I always pictured you more like this
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Awesome!

I'm going to put Jasper Newton (Jack) Daniel on my list!

Yeah, how could we forget Jim? I mean he's had the most amazing influence on people all around the world for 30+ years! :)

Would this be Jack Daniel the maker of the bourbon or am I completely stuffing that up Collin? ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, how could we forget Jim? I mean he's had the most amazing influence on people all around the world for 30+ years! :)

Exactly, I still love watching the Muppet Show.
    Would this be Jack Daniel the maker of the bourbon or am I completely stuffing that up Collin? ;):D

Indeed the maker of the old No. 7; Jack Daniel's.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Exactly, I still love watching the Muppet Show.

Ooh!! Actually thanks for that Collin!! :) I've just realized that there's someone VERY IMPORTANT that I need to add to my list!! :D

Collin wrote:
    Indeed the maker of the old No. 7; Jack Daniel's.

Phew!! :D Well that's a relief!! I was thinking I'd probably slighted some great American historical figure! Not that he isn't but you know! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Collin wrote:

:D I'm like that on the inside.
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I've always placed artists on a footing above politicians and other businessmen.

If so why not include some great American artists? I mean Eddie Vedder is a fantastic lyricist/campaigner/singer/songwriter but with all due respect, is he really up there with people like John Coltrane, Miles Davis or Hendrix. Or writers such as Ernst Hemingway, T.S. Eliot, Plath, John Steinbeck. Or visual artists such as Jason Pollack.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    moho wrote:
    If so why not include some great American artists? I mean Eddie Vedder is a fantastic lyricist/campaigner/singer/songwriter but with all due respect, is he really up there with people like John Coltrane, Miles Davis or Hendrix. Or writers such as Ernst Hemingway, T.S. Eliot, Plath, John Steinbeck. Or visual artists such as Jason Pollack.

Hemingway wouldn't make my top 20. I don't regard him as a great artist. Miles Davis and John Coltrane maybe. Sure. I'm just not a fan of Jazz really. John Steinbeck? Nah. Not my cup of tea. Still, some interesting names you've listed there.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    Byrnzie wrote:
    One word: Nicaragua.
    Six words: Osama bin Laden and the Taliban.
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Byrnzie wrote:
    You've got me all wrong man, all wrong. This is me popping down the shops for some milk and a loaf a bread...

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/mexico/marcos-waving.jpg
    Nice fashion. All you're missing is the flaming "coctail".
    You look NOTHING like a militant.

Save the word man, save the world.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    aren't we in a civil discussion?

i didn't say they weren't "great" i said they were liberals...they ARE liberals. and not very smart liberals...i mean...eddie vedder? as a top 20 all time american? are you SERIOUS?

i've posted here long enough that the left has NO DESIRE of hearing the other side. at all. so i don't need a lecture on how i need to hear the other side. i'm resigned to the post of pointing out idiocy.
    *Jack Kerouac was a Republican and Goldwater supporter.

*Malcolm X told his supporters to never trust a liberal.

*Johnny Cash was deeply religious and, with the exception of being someone who supported the weak and destitute, was "socially conservative."

*Hunter S. Thompson, in relation to his rabid gun facination, once said, "I think George Washington owned guns. I've never seen any contradiction with that. I'm not a liberal, by the way. I think that's what's wrong with liberals. I believe I have every right to have guns. I just bought another huge weapon. A lot of people shouldn't own guns. I should. I have a safety record. Guns are a lot of fun out here."

*Purple Hawk obviously doesn't know much about the people on Byrnzie's list.

By the way, good choices Byrnzie.
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    let's see... a few in no particular order:

Richard P. Feynman
    Robert Goddard
    Orville/Wilbur Wright
    Jackie Cochran
    George Washington
    Thomas Jefferson
    Clarence Darrow
    Ben Franklin
    Thomas Edison
    Norman Borlaug
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Very cool thread! Here are a few that come to mind.............

*Maria Mitchell (an excerpt from wikipedia) She became the first woman member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1848 and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1850. She later worked at the U.S. Nautical Almanac Office, calculating tables of positions of Venus, and traveled in Europe with Nathaniel Hawthorne and his family.

She became professor of astronomy at Vassar College in 1865, the first person (male or female) appointed to the faculty. She was also named as Director of the Vassar College Observatory. After teaching there for some time, she learned that despite her reputation and experience, her salary was less than that of many younger male professors. She insisted on a salary increase, and got it.

*Walt Whitman
    *Henry David Thoreau
    *MLK and Booker T Washington (I like the non-violent, 'lead by example' approach of these two)
    *Susan B Anthony
    *Thomas Edison
    *Wright brothers
    *Andrew Carnegie (for his passion of philanthropy)
    *Alexander Graham Bell
    *FDR

So many, I'm sure I'll have more later.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

2. you really think eddie vedder is a greater american than ronald reagan? if it weren't for the latter, the last bastion of conservatism would be gone...he was single handedly responsible for a political realignment and the rebirth of conservative values...

but yeah...eddie vedder really cares about stuff...what an intellectual
    yeah because Reagan was a leading intellectual and superior human being wasn't he? the guy was a bloody B-movie actor.

anyway, why are people slagging off the starter of the thread just for posting his opinions? don't reply if you don't like it.

It was a good list anyway.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Byrnzie wrote:

I did not get a chance to read the entire thread but surely if you are going to consider musicians Miles Davis should be toward the top of that list. By far above Eddie Vedder. Also another musician i would consider above those you listed would be Woody Guthrie.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    godpt3 wrote:
    was that supposed to be comical?

Burroughs, Kerouac, Bill Hicks??? C'mon, are you stoned or stupid??? If that's your idea of great Americans, then we, as a nation, are not only royally screwed but we also deserve to be screwed.

its just his opinion. I certainly do not agree with his list, but thats fine. feel free to make your own so he and the rest of us can rip that apart too.
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    American Soldier
    Superman
    David Ortiz
    My Dad
    My Mom
    Ed Vedder
    Flavor Flav
    Chris Farley
    Atticus Finch
    Arthur Ashe
    George Washington
    JFK
    Flannel Shirt
    MIKE MOORE - FOR PRESIDENT
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    RainDog wrote:
    *Jack Kerouac was a Republican and Goldwater supporter.

*Malcolm X told his supporters to never trust a liberal.

*Johnny Cash was deeply religious and, with the exception of being someone who supported the weak and destitute, was "socially conservative."

*Hunter S. Thompson, in relation to his rabid gun facination, once said, "I think George Washington owned guns. I've never seen any contradiction with that. I'm not a liberal, by the way. I think that's what's wrong with liberals. I believe I have every right to have guns. I just bought another huge weapon. A lot of people shouldn't own guns. I should. I have a safety record. Guns are a lot of fun out here."

*Purple Hawk obviously doesn't know much about the people on Byrnzie's list.

By the way, good choices Byrnzie.

Hehehe. Nicely done.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    American Soldier
    Superman
    David Ortiz
    My Dad
    My Mom
    Ed Vedder
    Flavor Flav
    Chris Farley
    Atticus Finch
    Arthur Ashe
    George Washington
    JFK
    Flannel Shirt
    MIKE MOORE - FOR PRESIDENT

I just can't look at Flavor Flav again in the same way after that ridiculous real life dating show he just made.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I did not get a chance to read the entire thread but surely if you are going to consider musicians Miles Davis should be toward the top of that list. By far above Eddie Vedder. Also another musician i would consider above those you listed would be Woody Guthrie.

I agree that on second thought Miles Davis should have been in my list. I'm also thinking maybe Jack London too.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    You forgot Johnny Unitas and Willie Mays.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Wilfred Brimley
    Andrew Jackson
    Kirk Cameron
    William Henry Harrison
    Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
    Robert Alphonso Taft
    Mancow
    Chris Daughtry
    Bob Hope
    Jaws
    L Ron Hubbard
    John D Rockefeller
    James K Polk
    Tucker Carlson
    Dr. Phil
    Brigham Young
    Bob Uecker
    The Burger King
    Dick Armey
    and of course
    Barbara Bush
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Brigham Young
    Jesus Christ. I mean, Brigham You...I mean, Jesus, please tell me you're joking.