Options

The mysterious disappearing thread

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
So...

Last night I started a thread called "This is Mohammed" that talked about the Arab prophet Mohammed and linked to a very informative site. That thread is gone.

Is it not acceptable to post something supportive of a religion besides Judaism or Christianity? Is it not acceptable to post something supportive of Islam?

The main purpose of the thread was to show the solid link between Islam, Christianity and Judaism. Because I think the common belief is that Islam is a totally different religion and Allah is a different god. It's never really expressed to me that people understand the prophet Mohammed was a good dude.
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Ahnimus wrote:
    So...

Last night I started a thread called "This is Mohammed" that talked about the Arab prophet Mohammed and linked to a very informative site. That thread is gone.

Is it not acceptable to post something supportive of a religion besides Judaism or Christianity? Is it not acceptable to post something supportive of Islam?

The main purpose of the thread was to show the solid link between Islam, Christianity and Judaism. Because I think the common belief is that Islam is a totally different religion and Allah is a different god. It's never really expressed to me that people understand the prophet Mohammed was a good dude.

I dont know but when i read through the koran i kind of think hes an asshole.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:

Why is that?

http://mohammad.islamway.com/
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    This one's about to disappear too, maybe.....
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Perhaps your thread died for our sins?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

lol seems like a very skeptical website....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    miller8966 wrote:

Mr Miller, I don't think you are doing a good service to "our side" by making such comments.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Perhaps your thread died for our sins?

alright, that one made me snicker a bit ...
    :)

Anyhow, there's this principle in mindfulness meditation ... Observe things non-judgmentally ... Do not infer too much ... Just observe.
    This thread, like dkst0426 said, is probably doomed. Observe how this state of affairs comes to pass.

(hint ... How are people responding?)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Mr Miller, I don't think you are doing a good service to "our side" by making such comments.

He's never contributed anything useful for your side...instead give you a bad name.....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

yea i think your right...i just left my cubicle and was a little anxious and perturbed.

I guess mohammed wasnt a bad guy...but the people who follow him are jerkoffs.
  • Options
    He's never contributed anything useful for your side...instead give you a bad name.....

You cry yourself to sleep at night?
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    yea i think your right...i just left my cubicle and was a little anxious and perturbed.

Generalizing like you do makes you just the same as any other ignorant extremist.
  • Options
    So my thread gets deleted because people are bigots?

Because guys like Miller think all Islam is evil? He can't take the time to read Islamic teachings in order to make an informed opinion. Islam isn't evil.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Generalizing like you do makes you just the same as any other ignorant extremist.

Nah not really, because i havent exactly blown myself up on a bus or anything.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

Because guys like Miller think all Islam is evil? He can't take the time to read Islamic teachings in order to make an informed opinion. Islam isn't evil.

jesus was 10x cooler than Mohammed..hands down
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Nah not really, because i havent exactly blown myself up on a bus or anything.

You haven't gone to that extreme, but your comments are extreme.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

And neither is Judaism. But yeah ... Some people have trouble separating religious philosophy from the behavior of all the diverse souls who follow it.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

its something else that makes him the same, the comments only reveal it
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    its something else that makes him the same, the comments only reveal it

Im just using my 1st amendement right to freedom of speech
  • Options
    dayandayan Posts: 475
    If I may...Islam is obviously not evil. Like all religions it contains truly beautiful teachings right alongside truly dreadful ones. What is important is which of these teachings are given greater emphasis. The tragic thing, at least from my perspective, is that leaving aside the Islamic fringe, meaning muslims in America, and Europe, and in places like Indonesia, the Islamic heartland, ie, the middle east (and persia as well) seems consumed by fundamentalist, jihadist, violent interpretations of the Islamic tradition. I am not suggesting that all muslim believe in this interpretation, but it does seem to be a strain of Islam that carries a lot of currency, and may even be the dominant strain in the world today. And that scares me.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    If I may...Islam is obviously not evil. Like all religions it contains truly beautiful teachings right alongside truly dreadful ones. What is important is which of these teachings are given greater emphasis. The tragic thing, at least from my perspective, is that leaving aside the Islamic fringe, meaning muslims in America, and Europe, and in places like Indonesia, the Islamic heartland, ie, the middle east (and persia as well) seems consumed by fundamentalist, jihadist, violent interpretations of the Islamic tradition. I am not suggesting that all muslim believe in this interpretation, but it does seem to be a strain of Islam that carries a lot of currency, and may even be the dominant strain in the world today. And that scares me.

It scares me too, but I don't know how much of that fear is realistic and how much of it is a lack of knowledge. How many people in these countries really do follow these disgusting extreme takes?
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:

there is such things as being responsible, sensible and sensative in your choice of speech.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:

Just as others are using theirs to express their opinion of your opinion.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    miller8966 wrote:

You must leave your cubicle a lot.

Wasn't it Mohammad who convinced people to follow one God? He had a lot to do with all that monotheism stuff that Christians and Jews support.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:

Wasn't it Mohammad who convinced people to follow one God? He had a lot to do with all that monotheism stuff that Christians and Jews support.

Yup, originally it was Abraham that smashed all the idols and told people to worship one god. But people started worshipping idols again before the prophet mohammad.
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:

No thats false...people were following one god way b efore the time of mohammed
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yup, originally it was Abraham that smashed all the idols and told people to worship one god. But people started worshipping idols again before the prophet mohammad.

Maybe some people but not all..christianity was already established before mohammed came to fame.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Maybe some people but not all..christianity was already established before mohammed came to fame.

Well Mohammad was the prophet of the Arab nation. So maybe more specifically we should be referring to Arabs. I'm not that knowledgable about Islam as of yet. Probably more than most, but I don't know as much as I should to comment on that in particular.
  • Options
    It's gone?

How? Can someone beside Kat and Sea take a thread away, delete it???

I read the thread and thought: wow, that is cool, a new perspective with so much truth in...

...but I usually do not reply to any religious thread due to personal reasons,
    so I kept quiet.
    but now as its gone, I wonder and am very surprised.

...need to read through this one now... maybe the miracle is solved by now already...
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    It's gone?

How? Can someone beside Kat and Sea take a thread away, delete it???

I read the thread and thought: wow, that is cool, a new perspective with so much truth in...

...but I usually do not reply to any religious thread due to personal reasons,
    so I kept quiet.
    but now as its gone, I wonder and am very surprised.

...need to read through this one now... maybe the miracle is solved by now already...

I'm pretty sure I titled it "This is Mohammad" but it didn't show up in a search. Or on the last 4 or 5 pages. As I was reading it I pasted a bunch of quotes I thought would kind of sum up a lot of what it said about Mohammad amongst all the other stuff. Without making it too long of course. I only spent a few hours reading it. A Lebonese woman I know is going to see if she has an english Qu'ran for me to read. I said thanks but I tried to get the point across that I am not converting to Islam, that I will probably always remain agnostic. I think I may have offender her when I said that it reads like a fairy tale and the sacred texts are far too cryptic to make any modern assumptions. Of course I feel that way about all religions. I don't mean to tread on anyone, just trying to make the point not to try to convert me. I think I've had too many encounters with Jehova's Whitness and Latter-Day Saints. Not that they are a bad thing. Except I tell the JWs it'd be cool to see the apocalypse because I think religion is really fascinating and that would kind of make it more real. That ends up making them want to convert me even more. Mormons don't even try because all the coolness is gone if the apocalypse already happened. Are there any muslims on this board? I've got a lot of questions and I feel bad bugging the people at work about their religion.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    miller8966 wrote:

why isn't this guy banned for life?
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk