Options

Relationships, Few or Many... or primarily Single Life

Comments

• Options
    Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    I've experienced a WIDE range of relationships.

I've had 3 serious relationships (one I'm in for the restof my life :) ) One in HS for a year, one after HS for 2 1/2 years and now we're over 3 years into this one.

I've also had my short lived ones. I dated a guy for a week once...he started talking about getting married and having kids with me after a few days. I ran.
    Fine if we've been together for a while, but after less than a WEEK?! No thanks.

I've had one-night stands and I've been single.

I'm so comfy in my relationship now. I love every minute of it, even when he steals the covers at night. :D

I don't despise anyone...it's their lives and their choices and sure people are going to get hurt along the way, but seriously, who HASN'T been hurt by someone along the way? It's sad if it's you and I'm speaking as someone who's been dumped, told they weren't good enough then begged to come back, physically and emotionally abused and everything in between.

Bottom line is you gotta do what makes you happy...this life is too short.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I'm not the type to jump from one relationship to the other... I've had a couple of quick ones over the years, but in the past 12 years or so, I've had two real relationships... one that was about 3 years, and my current one of about 2 1/2 years. We are getting married, so this should be my last one.

I was single for a lot of that time, and didn't mind it at all. I liked living alone, and the flexabilty to basically do anything that I wanted to do. Sure there were times that I would have liked to come home to someone, but for the most part I was entirely fine with being single.

I never really understood the people that would have to jump into a relationship within like a week of another one ending. It just seemed like those people are too dependant.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    it's entirely possible. i think in general im too eager to please. ill do huge favors for people i dont even know just cos im too nice to say no. i think to a woman looking at me as a potential mate, that'd probably seem desperate.
    I can relate to being very eager to please.

What I've learned is that those of us who are wired as idealists must learn to walk a fine line. It's like we live to help; we're empathic and can almost feel the feelings of others, even when they don't feel them, themselves. Our base challenge is learning to stay centred and to always include ourselves in each equation. It's all too easy for us to overlook our own needs, but it's important not to, or we'll self-sabotage and create our own drama in order to learn the hard way.

The amazing part is when we can get a handle on that, and only then, we idealists have the potential for deep, meaningful loving relationships. And when we get a handle on not allowing our own selves to be expendable, we increase in our abilities with being truly loving and with authentically giving, unselfishly. If only we find the "right" person. Obviously, the right person will value who we truly are, niceness on one hand, warts on the other. Another way we self-sabotage is by finding the wrong person, in order to learn how not to sell ourselves up the river for other people. A good education is hard to come by and can cost a LOT. ;) All the more reason to "get" the lessons as quick as possible.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    that's odd, i get people saying there's something wrong with me all the time becos i DO make pursuing a relationship my #1 goal in life.

no, we said there was something wrong with you when you acted like a self-pitying, whiny, self-defeating loser after your g/f broke up with you.

:p
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    no, we said there was something wrong with you when you acted like a self-pitying, whiny, self-defeating loser after your g/f broke up with you.

yeah, i took that one pretty hard. i dont think i ever had my heart broke like that. but hey, ive bounced back ok. i told you all i was just venting ;)
  • Options
    Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
    yeah, i took that one pretty hard. i dont think i ever had my heart broke like that. but hey, ive bounced back ok. i told you all i was just venting ;)

Just a question, is it like a change thing? Do you get bored and leave? Or do you carry it out until she leaves you? I say this because, what if you met someone and you either fell in love, or just stayed together?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    angelica wrote:
    I can relate to being very eager to please.

What I've learned is that those of us who are wired as idealists must learn to walk a fine line. It's like we live to help; we're empathic and can almost feel the feelings of others, even when they don't feel them, themselves. Our base challenge is learning to stay centred and to always include ourselves in each equation. It's all too easy for us to overlook our own needs, but it's important not to, or we'll self-sabotage and create our own drama in order to learn the hard way.

The amazing part is when we can get a handle on that, and only then, we idealists have the potential for deep, meaningful loving relationships. And when we get a handle on not allowing our own selves to be expendable, we increase in our abilities with being truly loving and with authentically giving, unselfishly. If only we find the "right" person. Obviously, the right person will value who we truly are, niceness on one hand, warts on the other. Another way we self-sabotage is by finding the wrong person, in order to learn how not to sell ourselves up the river for other people. A good education is hard to come by and can cost a LOT. ;) All the more reason to "get" the lessons as quick as possible.

You label it as being an idealist...

I've been doing some research and the traits you mention are also a result of being raised in a dysfunctional/alcoholic home.

Interesting.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Bottom line is you gotta do what makes you happy...this life is too short.

I think this says it all
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

:D

seriously tho, i do agree in a sense....pursuing a relationship as your #1 goal doesn't sound healthy to me. sure, we all want love in our lives...but i think you need to find happiness in yourself first...and if/when you meet someone, go from there. i don't think seeking out a partner as a 'goal' is such a wise decision. wanting to have a life partner, a true and deep lifetime love...sure something to desire.....but i just don't see it as something to chase after. anyway...just my own personal thoughts on it. :) anyway...i don't think pursuing any one 'thing'...whether a relationship, a career, whatever...is ever wise...better to look for more than one outlet for happiness in your life.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    definately:
    1. few
    2. single
    3. many
    I need to finish writing.
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    primarily single....and not always by choice. too shy i guess....
  • Options
    I am the first type of "single" person.

don't get me wrong, I wasn't always this way. And I probably won't always be this way, but right now and I am the single person.

I have never had a serious relationship, had never even kissed anyone until I was 22. Didn't really start dating until I was 25. I saw all these people with "boyfriends" and it really upset me. It REALLY upset me. I was not the type of girl college guys are attracted to, as simple that. After college I lived at home with my parents in the suburbs for 2 years, so meeting people to date was impossible. I was always so upset that I had missed out on this big part of life. finally I moved to the city and got some dates through match.com. And I was like, ok, I *can* get a date, that's really all I needed to know. And I still like dating just to know that I can get a date. I do feel a little weird that there is something about me that renders having a relationship impossible- apparently it is going to take an extremely rare type of guy to have a relationship with me, on both ends.

so anyway, around 24, I realized I will probably never get married. at first I hated this idea. Now I relish it. I have my own bed at night. I speak in terms of "I" instead of "we". granted there would be many many circumstances where being married or having a boyfriend would be very convenient. But I feel like it almost makes me a better person to have to have things a little more difficult. I do *everything* for myself and in a few years when all my friends are sick of being married, they're going to wish they were me.

I *do* however, think that when I'm about 40, I'm going to wish I were one of the "lucky ones" as most of my friends and my brother will have their own families and I'll be kinda left in the lurch. and getting really old by yourself can't be much fun. But I think I will adopt a child from china when I'm about 39, 40. it will be tough to be a single parent, but i think i'd make a good mum and I shouldn't have to sacrifice that just because I haven't been lucky enough to find a husband.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Definitely the happy to be single kind of girl.
    I love my own space and am most probably far to selfish to be in a relationship, plus I feel I'm too young to be in a long term relationship, it's really not my thing.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I'm "old" by most of you guys standards and have had several serious relationships as well as a couple of marriages. At this late date in life what I've learned is that you can't be happy with somebody else in your life until you're truly happy with yourself. Finding the same thing in a partner can be pretty difficult and the older you get the harder it becomes. The media does a lot to influence how we feel about ourselves - you know - not having the big happy wedding with hundreds of guests, two fantastic children, fabulous jobs etc. Disengage your head from those viewpoints and think about what you really want out of life. Not all of us are meant to live with/be married to someone. There can be a lot of happiness and personal growth, as well as time to do the things you really love, in being single. Mentally, however, you have to be prepared to be happy with the person you're spending lots of time with - YOURSELF. For what it's worth........
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    To be honest, I think I've been all of the above at one point or another in my life. For instance, when I was younger I was defintely number 1 on that list. I was happy being single. I was happy dating... and when my relationships were over (and typically they were short), I would simply retreat to my circle of friends and forget about her. There were points in my life where I was completely content being single and maybe having a booty call on the side.
    Then when I married, everything changed for me. I lost myself in a co-dependant relationship where I gave up everything I was to please her. When we divorced, I desperately wanted to jump into something else with someone else.. to fill the void...but didn't. Now I'm in a long term relationship which may be coming to an end...that remains to be seen. I've found that the most effective way to deal with it is to simply look forward and invite the concept of being single and enjoying my life for myself again. Every relationship is a growth experience and if you are paying attention, you'll eventually learn to break negative cycles and find what fits you best.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    i am not single...but yea, there are other choices there. me, i am definitely the relationship sort, long-term relationships...but sure, i had my share of quickie flings, few dates, whateva. now i am married forever...hahaha....but even within a relationship, one can have a LOT of freedom. no, it's not the norm...but it works beautifully for a great # of us. so yea, i think of myself as a fairly independent, single-minded kinda person...who just also has the benefit of a husband too. there is a happy medium of respecting one's space and desires...and sharing a life together. really, it's true...i am proof positive. others might look at you funny from time to time....but if you in the couple are happy...that's all that matters. and yea, just celebrated our 14th anniversary yesterday. :)
    The older I get, the more I feel like the relationship you describe is 'ideal'. My sister and her husband enjoy the same independence and I've always envied her for that. It really takes two people who are self confident and who really love and trust each other to pull it off. As for me, there's always seemed to be an imbalance on one side or the other that ends up derailing the whole idea.

• Options
    I am a master at the 18 month relationship. Literally every relationship I have lasts between 16 and 20 months. It's fucking uncanny.

I'm pretty comfortable either way. I prefer to be in a relationship on most days, but being single is almost a requirement now and again. That doesn't bode well in the long term, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    moegossardmoegossard Posts: 75
    you remind me of Janet from Singles.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Just a question, is it like a change thing? Do you get bored and leave? Or do you carry it out until she leaves you? I say this because, what if you met someone and you either fell in love, or just stayed together?

im assuming you're referring to my first post?

a little of all of them. ive had long, loving relationships. if im in love, i dont leave for the sake of bouncing from relationship to relationship. but in one case, we just drifted apart and i was unhappy so i left. in another case, it wasnt working and she was unhappy and left me. when this happens, becos i have problems being single, i will often date a few people in quick succession just to ease my loneliness and rebuild my confidence. these poor girls usually get hurt becos i have no interest in anything serious with them but date them becos i find out they were interested in me the whole time i was with the one i loved, so i end up using them. i never really had feelings for them to begin with but liked feeling wanted so i dated them. then somebody more interesting to me comes along and i dump them to pursue that person. it's a bad cycle and im trying to break it.
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I have had many long lasting relationships. None of them were failures!!!
    Let me premise this by saying that I believe people change, their tastes change, and their goals and ambitions change. I don't think people are meant to be with one partner for life!
    In the old days, it was okay because people didn't live as long as they do now.
    I do think that people grow, as they should, as it is highly unusual for two people to grow in the same difrection unless one is holding the other back.

I would not change one relationship I have had, even the bad ones.
    I was married for 8 years. I had a 5 yr, a 6 yr., another 6 yr. and a few 2 to 3 yr.'s relationships, plus some very short ones...one to 3 years.
    Each one of them added so much to help me become who I am today.
    I just cannot imagine missing out on all those wonderful people and adventures had I been stuck in one relationship for life.

To all my exes....thank you...you added so much to my life. You helped me mature, learn, grow, and become a woman I really love.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    i am not single...but yea, there are other choices there. me, i am definitely the relationship sort, long-term relationships...but sure, i had my share of quickie flings, few dates, whateva. now i am married forever...hahaha....but even within a relationship, one can have a LOT of freedom. no, it's not the norm...but it works beautifully for a great # of us. so yea, i think of myself as a fairly independent, single-minded kinda person...who just also has the benefit of a husband too. there is a happy medium of respecting one's space and desires...and sharing a life together. really, it's true...i am proof positive. others might look at you funny from time to time....but if you in the couple are happy...that's all that matters. and yea, just celebrated our 14th anniversary yesterday. :)

My marriage sounds very similar to yours. Before I met my husband, I was really happy being single - in fact I really didn't know if I'd ever have a really long-term relationship. Now I realize that the people I dated then just weren't the right fit. They didn't respect my independence, etc. I never believed a relationship should "take work." If it's right, it just kind of flows. My husband & I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and we're really happy. My friends always say that I'm their "married friend who doesn't really act like she's married"' They mean it as a compliment. My husband and I have both always been faithful, but we do a lot of things on independently and individually with our friends. It surprises me that people think it's strange when I go out without him. He's my husband - not my conjoined twin! It's a great balance.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    I have had many long lasting relationships. None of them were failures!!!
    Let me premise this by saying that I believe people change, their tastes change, and their goals and ambitions change. I don't think people are meant to be with one partner for life!
    In the old days, it was okay because people didn't live as long as they do now.
    I do think that people grow, as they should, as it is highly unusual for two people to grow in the same difrection unless one is holding the other back.

I would not change one relationship I have had, even the bad ones.
    I was married for 8 years. I had a 5 yr, a 6 yr., another 6 yr. and a few 2 to 3 yr.'s relationships, plus some very short ones...one to 3 years.
    Each one of them added so much to help me become who I am today.
    I just cannot imagine missing out on all those wonderful people and adventures had I been stuck in one relationship for life.

To all my exes....thank you...you added so much to my life. You helped me mature, learn, grow, and become a woman I really love.
    Not to nitpick..but isn't any relationship that ends up parting ways technically a failure? I.e you did fail to stay together for one reason or another.

• Options
    daystar143daystar143 Posts: 367
    Being alone is not the same as being lonely. You can be lonely in a room full of people.

The trick is finding someone you love so much that you are never alone, even if he is miles away.
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    My marriage sounds very similar to yours. Before I met my husband, I was really happy being single - in fact I really didn't know if I'd ever have a really long-term relationship. Now I realize that the people I dated then just weren't the right fit. They didn't respect my independence, etc. I never believed a relationship should "take work." If it's right, it just kind of flows. My husband & I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and we're really happy. My friends always say that I'm their "married friend who doesn't really act like she's married"' They mean it as a compliment. My husband and I have both always been faithful, but we do a lot of things on independently and individually with our friends. It surprises me that people think it's strange when I go out without him. He's my husband - not my conjoined twin! It's a great balance.

well i got married fairly young, especially by today's standards.....but it works for us. we've had our trying times, so it's not w/o 'work'...but to me, anything truly worthwhile, worth preserving, takes some work. however, i'd not trade our marriage for ther world....he is my best friend and i love him completely...no matter what. sure, there are still issues, but i think it also is a part of who we are as individuals, as a couple, and that we value our relationship so that we truly want to work at it. yes, ours is not the standard marriage....but after all this time...i wouldn't have it any other way. :) you have to find what works for you, and ride the wave where it takes you...both. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Brink wrote:
    Not to nitpick..but isn't any relationship that ends up parting ways technically a failure? I.e you did fail to stay together for one reason or another.
    No, they were not failures, because as I said, they were not meant to last forever. I am friends with all of them to this day.
    Each was a chapter in my book of life and added to my life. The things they added to my life were all good things that helped me become who I am now...and I am appreciative for that.
    The relationships didn't fail, we each just grew and changed, as we should. We had the sense to know to move on and did so with love.

Let me give an example...if you date someone one or two times, had a great time and just didn't date again for some reason, were those two dates a failure? I say that if they were fun and you both enjoyed them, then no they were not failures. For me, a long term relationship that ends is no different. I don't see why a long term relationships goal is suppose to be to stay together forever. Why can't it be just to enjoy the time that the two do spend together, with no expectations on being forever. I never expect forever when in relationships. I just enjoy our time and learn and grow.
    I guess I don't take hostages when in relationships.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    rubyruby Posts: 103
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    I guess I don't take hostages when in relationships.

:)
  • Options
    ruby wrote:
    :)
    Ruby...is that you??? The real Ruby that I have misssed???
    Hello sweetie...good to see you back here.

I like that you got the part about hostages. All because someone has a committed relationships, it doesn't have to lead to marriage or a guarantee of any length of time. It is what it is while it is.
    Its like a date...if you date someone does that mean you have to marry them or it was a failure ...no it doesn't. It can be a good date, period. I feel the same about relationships. I don't have to marry anyone or be with them for life for it to still be successful.

Each partner I have ever had added so much to my life. I do sometimes wish I could meet one person with the various qualities I found in each individual.
    Like, one had a great sense of humor. Another was very bright and talented to the point of being a bit eccentric. Still yet another had ambition and was generous. One was outdoorsy. One was just very fricking hot!!!
    I would love to roll them all into one.
    "To all the men I loved before..." Lalalala.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    -Are you 1 of 2 relationship types of person: 1) is the type of person who has had that ONE or perhaps TWO Looonnnggg-term, deep and serious relationships. Does not readily become attached and takes time to search their feelings about another. After a relationship is over, they take their time to heal, and get back on track with their own lives.

2) The other is the type of person, whom i have to admit i either despise or pity (no offense meant, but still) - Those who jump from relationship to relationship without stopping for a moment to realize what they have done, what they are doing to people around them. Leading people on, holding false or misguided feelings and such. They are blinded by the fact that a new person will not be able to save them if they don't know how to save themsevles in the first place. Soon as a relationship is over, they jump into a new one right away... way to mask pain or put the old hurt behind them faster, only to have it blow up in their face all over again... cycle of pain. I don't understand how people get by like that.

On a side note of the relationship type... I think its sick that people use "I love you" so early on in new relationships after just getting out of deeply emotional long ones. The only person they're fooling is themselves.

~inquis.

I am definitely type 1 (as you described it).

Type 2 folks need help. Seriously.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    im assuming you're referring to my first post?

a little of all of them. ive had long, loving relationships. if im in love, i dont leave for the sake of bouncing from relationship to relationship. but in one case, we just drifted apart and i was unhappy so i left. in another case, it wasnt working and she was unhappy and left me. when this happens, becos i have problems being single, i will often date a few people in quick succession just to ease my loneliness and rebuild my confidence. these poor girls usually get hurt becos i have no interest in anything serious with them but date them becos i find out they were interested in me the whole time i was with the one i loved, so i end up using them. i never really had feelings for them to begin with but liked feeling wanted so i dated them. then somebody more interesting to me comes along and i dump them to pursue that person. it's a bad cycle and im trying to break it.

Be honest. You met a chick wit a bigga azz.

I'll quote LL Cool J:

LISA got a big ole butt
    I know I told you I'd be true
    But LISA got a big ole butt
    So I'm leavin' you
    See ya
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    I think I speak to the fluidity of your rules...I was the kind of guy who had hook ups here and there, didn't do anything serious dating-wise, then one day-bam-I've been with the same girl for 4 1/2 years now. For some people they need a warm body (and hey every now and then who doesn't), for others they want commitment and challenge, and this can change from day-to-day. It's hard to say that you are a 1 or 2 when at least I have been both.