Options

Arab Hatred of Israel

NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Partial transcript from Meet the Press - Tim Russert & Tom Friedman

"But there are too many people, Tim, outside of Lebanon, in the Arab world, getting their buzz, frankly, off seeing Hezbollah stand up to Israel while Lebanon gets decimated. Lebanon, the first Arab democracy. And I, I real—I have a real problem with that because it’s time for the Arab world to stop getting their buzz, OK, off fighting Israel and to overcome their humiliation that way. It’s time to start building something.

You know, you ever ask yourself, Tim, what’s the second largest Muslim country in the world? It’s India. It’s not Pakistan or Iran. What do we see in India? Just a couple of weeks ago, 350 Indians killed in what is widely suspected an attack by Muslim extremists in Mumbai in a train station. But the Indian reaction was incredibly restrained. Why is that? You know, why don’t Indian Muslims, you know, get their buzz this way? Could it be because the richest man in India is a Muslim software entrepreneur? Could it be because the president of India is a Muslim? Could it be because there’s an Indian Muslim woman on the Indian Supreme Court? Could it be because the leading female movie star in India is a Muslim woman? You know, when people get their dignity from building things rather than confronting other people, it’s amazing what politics flows from that. And I think that’s something the Arab world also needs to be reflecting on now."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hate + hate = hate

we get it i think, arabs hate Israel...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I missed the "hatred" part...I just read something about a "buzz"...does "buzz" also mean "hatred"....?
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    NCfan wrote:
    You know, when people get their dignity from building things rather than confronting other people, it’s amazing what politics flows from that. And I think that’s something the Arab world also needs to be reflecting on now."

That is so on the money.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    inmytree wrote:
    I missed the "hatred" part...I just read something about a "buzz"...does "buzz" also mean "hatred"....?

Getting off, enjoying, that sort of thing?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

So you disagree then? You don't think that Muslim hatred of Israel has anything to do with the situation over there? Or are you just straight out denying that a large majority of Muslims in the Middle East hate Israel.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    jsand wrote:
    That is so on the money.

Yes it is. It is because people from different backgrounds have learned to WORK TOGETHER for the greater good. I believe this is possible.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    So you disagree then? You don't think that Muslim hatred of Israel has anything to do with the situation over there? Or are you just straight out denying that a large majority of Muslims in the Middle East hate Israel.

I was looking for clarification...you see, my understanding of the word "buzz", other that a bumble bee, is when you have a couple of beers...and you get a "buzz" on...so, if flat-world "democracy" friedman is implying All Arabs are feeling a bit of a "buzz" from this conflict...perhaps that is correct...I just did not see the word "hate" in this paragraph you posted...

I know may around the word are feeling a "buzz" based on this conflict and occupation...when the march to bagdad was happening, many were "abuzz", cheering it on...did that mean those who felt that "buzz" hated all Iraqis....?
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yes it is. It is because people from different backgrounds have learned to WORK TOGETHER for the greater good. I believe this is possible.

That's not the point of the statement - you're twisting it to suit your own needs. The point Friedman was making is that if the Palestinians used their money on building schools and a real infrastructure instead of using it to buy rockets and bomb belts they would be a hell of a lot closer to having their own state.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I was looking for clarification...you see, my understanding of the word "buzz", other that a bumble bee, is when you have a couple of beers...and you get a "buzz" on...so, if flat-world "democracy" friedman is implying All Arabs are feeling a bit of a "buzz" from this conflict...perhaps that is correct...I just did not see the word "hate" in this paragraph you posted...

I know may around the word are feeling a "buzz" based on this conflict and occupation...when the march to bagdad was happening, many were "abuzz", cheering it on...did that mean those who felt that "buzz" hated all Iraqis....?

Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous posts ever made on this board. That's quite an accomplishment.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous posts ever made on this board. That's quite an accomplishment.

you're sweet, :o
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Okay, excuse me for putting words in his mouth then. I think he was attempting to point out that action such as the current conflict brings out people's true colors.

When the US went on our march to Baghdad, sure, many people were buzzing because we were on our way to overthrow one of the worst sitting dictators in the world. I think something like 70% of the country approved the war in Iraq before we went in.

And now, you can see how the Arab street feels about what's happening in Lebanon. They are aligning themselves with Syria and Iran - not with Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Sure, they are upset by the civillian casualties - but they are privately happy and proud that Hezbollah is taking the fight to the Israeli's.

Like Friedman, I think this "shift" in the Arab street reveals their deep pathology of destroy/weaken/fight Isreal at all cost - even if that means our civillian population.

I think that is something to think about - especially for the people on this forum who can't see anything other than Isreal killing civillians.
  • Options
    The problem with this kind of post, you can't really say why they were post, other than spreading misconceptions... arabs hate Israel... yet Israel hate arabs, no? Probably not...

it's irrelevant at best, other than justifying more violence. "they hate each other, so they must keep fighting" and we must keep watching...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    jsand wrote:
    That's not the point of the statement - you're twisting it to suit your own needs. The point Friedman was making is that if the Palestinians used their money on building schools and a real infrastructure instead of using it to buy rockets and bomb belts they would be a hell of a lot closer to having their own state.

Kind of like people coming to a new land because of their pathetic countries they left only to bring their crap here and keep harping about their homeland. You know sending money from one country to another. Twisting words to fit their agenda. Something you are almost good at.

So when you can explain "buzz" meaning "hate" I will be sure to take it with a grain of salt.

I would hate to live in a country where military is mandatory and you are taught to love when you join, right? Right!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    Okay, excuse me for putting words in his mouth then. I think he was attempting to point out that action such as the current conflict brings out people's true colors.

When the US went on our march to Baghdad, sure, many people were buzzing because we were on our way to overthrow one of the worst sitting dictators in the world. I think something like 70% of the country approved the war in Iraq before we went in.

And now, you can see how the Arab street feels about what's happening in Lebanon. They are aligning themselves with Syria and Iran - not with Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Sure, they are upset by the civillian casualties - but they are privately happy and proud that Hezbollah is taking the fight to the Israeli's.

Like Friedman, I think this "shift" in the Arab street reveals their deep pathology of destroy/weaken/fight Isreal at all cost - even if that means our civillian population.

I think that is something to think about - especially for the people on this forum who can't see anything other than Isreal killing civillians.

fair enough...

If memory serves me right...when this conflict, now occupation, first began, many Arabs were not in support of Hezzbollah...I'm pretty sure many questioned their actions (kidnapping of the two soliders, in case anyone forgot)...however, it does seem the tide has changed...especially after the continued bombing of civilian targets...

please note: I think both sides in this are wrong and they are both to blame...also, I do have to say that there are those in the Arab community who do Hate Israel....just as I'm pretty sure that there are those in the Jewish community who Hate Arabs....

it's a two way street with land mines on either side...

and finally...I wonder what happend to that 70% who "supported" the rush to war....
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Or maybe the point was if Israel would spend their money on similar things rather than on prisons to hold Lebanese citizens captive they'd be at much lower risk for "terrorist" attacks.....
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    fair enough...

If memory serves me right...when this conflict, now occupation, first began, many Arabs were not in support of Hezzbollah...I'm pretty sure many questioned their actions (kidnapping of the two soliders, in case anyone forgot)...however, it does seem the tide has changed...especially after the continued bombing of civilian targets...

please note: I think both sides in this are wrong and they are both to blame...also, I do have to say that there are those in the Arab community who do Hate Israel....just as I'm pretty sure that there are those in the Jewish community who Hate Arabs....

it's a two way street with land mines on either side...

and finally...I wonder what happend to that 70% who "supported" the rush to war....

Agreed with all that. And I'd just like to add that Isreal is to blame for this change of attitude. I don't understand how people at the highest levels of government can't grasp that you cannot destroy Hezbollah militarily.

Israel made their point, and I think most of the world actually supported them initially. But the point has been made, and i doubt they can make it any clearer. It is obvious that they are not going to give Hezbollah a knock out blow, so just stop already.

Go home with resentment focused on Hezbollah not yourself, ya know? It's just a real shit storm over there.
  • Options
    Or maybe the point was if Israel would spend their money on similar things rather than on prisons to hold Lebanese citizens captive they'd be at much lower risk for "terrorist" attacks.....

hmmm, I believe Israel is one of the wealthiest, most powerful countries on Earth. I think they spend their money quite wisely.
  • Options

Israel has developed so many technological advancements, let alone the land they inhabited only 58 years ago...would you like me to list all the Israeli accomplishments.

By the way, I think the number of Lebanese citizens in Israeli jails is approximately 3.
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    Agreed with all that. And I'd just like to add that Isreal is to blame for this change of attitude. I don't understand how people at the highest levels of government can't grasp that you cannot destroy Hezbollah militarily.

Israel made their point, and I think most of the world actually supported them initially. But the point has been made, and i doubt they can make it any clearer. It is obvious that they are not going to give Hezbollah a knock out blow, so just stop already.

Go home with resentment focused on Hezbollah not yourself, ya know? It's just a real shit storm over there.

You know this is what I have been saying for weeks....and now look only four countries (including Israel) and two of remaining three the majority of the populace is against this offensive....like I have been saying Israel has made things worse just cannot see how some people just dont get it....
  • Options
    I still think Israel's biggest mistake was bombing Lebanese cities. They could have stuck with a ground offensive into the South, and they could have concentrated their airpower on Hizbollah itself. Instead, they have killed hundreds of Lebanese who have nothing to do with the problem of Hizbollah.
    Its not morally defensible, and its not even militarily defensible. What Isreal is doing now should have happened from the get-go, and Beirut should have been left alone.
  • Options
    I still think Israel's biggest mistake was bombing Lebanese cities. They could have stuck with a ground offensive into the South, and they could have concentrated their airpower on Hizbollah itself. Instead, they have killed hundreds of Lebanese who have nothing to do with the problem of Hizbollah.
    Its not morally defensible, and its not even militarily defensible. What Isreal is doing now should have happened from the get-go, and Beirut should have been left alone.

I agree...then I would buy into the Israeli "warnings" better than after air raids of the cities....if they went in on foot they would have forced Hezbollah to meet them head on...cause the civilians would not fight...they could have had an easier, albeit still difficult, time in killing the real enemy....
  • Options
    IIts not morally defensible, and its not even militarily defensible. What Isreal is doing now should have happened from the get-go, and Beirut should have been left alone.

Even if you don't think it is morally defensible, which I do, it is certainly militarily defensible. Ground warfare against guerilla fighters who know the terrain and have been building trenches and tunnels for years in preparation for this fight would translate to a lot of IDF casualties. Why should Israel lose its sons and daughters to protect civilians that it has repeatedly warned to leave?
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Israel has developed so many technological advancements, let alone the land they inhabited only 58 years ago...would you like me to list all the Israeli accomplishments.

By the way, I think the number of Lebanese citizens in Israeli jails is approximately 3.

:) yeah it's around that number... even 3 would mean 3 that shouldn't be there...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Even if you don't think it is morally defensible, which I do, it is certainly militarily defensible. Ground warfare against guerilla fighters who know the terrain and have been building trenches and tunnels for years in preparation for this fight would translate to a lot of IDF casualties. Why should Israel lose its sons and daughters to protect civilians that it has repeatedly warned to leave?

OK, but killing Lebanese non-combatants is not going to make Israel more safe. If anything, it will do the opposite.
  • Options
    :) yeah it's around that number... even 3 would mean 3 that shouldn't be there...

Assuming those three were engaged in acts of terror against Israeli citizens, they shouldn't be there? Give me a fucking break.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:

military have NEVER defeated terrorism or these kind of groups. Russians, France, USA, Israel have all tried and failed...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    OK, but killing Lebanese non-combatants is not going to make Israel more safe. If anything, it will do the opposite.

Israel is still fighting this war with its hands tied behind its back. Remember, it's a war...non-combatants unfortunately get killed. Has there ever been a war where not a single civilian dies?

We're talking about a conventional army fighting an enemy that intentionally blends in with civilians. It is impossible for them to fight Hezbollah without killing any. Sad but true.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Assuming those three were engaged in acts of terror against Israeli citizens, they shouldn't be there? Give me a fucking break.

hehe well it was not imply that citizens = criminals, stop spinning your own story will you, it will be easier to discuss...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Israel is still fighting this war with its hands tied behind its back. Remember, it's a war...non-combatants unfortunately get killed. Has there ever been a war where not a single civilian dies?

We're talking about a conventional army fighting an enemy that intentionally blends in with civilians. It is impossible for them to fight Hezbollah without killing any. Sad but true.

I can agree with this to a point ... The thing is, there's a difference between civilians getting caught in the crossfire in some of these southern villages (especially when you've got Hizbollah using them as a shield), and bombing the absolute piss out of densely populated areas. Seriously, man. You kill people that don't care about Hizbollah, and then you've made their relatives into extremists. I know Israel has an uphill battle here, because they aren't fighting a conventional enemy. But at one point do you decide to throw morality out the window? The point at which you start to look like your enemy!
  • Options
    jsand wrote:

so IDF fighters' lives are worth more than innocent civilians? And warned to leave? where should they go? a lot of these people that stayed had no money, no way to get out, and no where to even go if they could leave. It's not that easy.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln