Options

Is this what Christians really think?

Comments

• Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    i dont mean to call him out, but i do have a question for our original KC poster... is his fiance a very devout evangelical? cos ive noticed that he used to be pretty even-keeled. ever since he got engaged his evangelical zeal seems to have increased tenfold and he's much more vocal about it. ive just noticed this a lot, people who are lukewarm, or even devout, about their religion suddenly become missionaries once they meet a gal who considers religion to be very important ;)

For a hamshank, some men will do anything.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    danmac wrote:
    Err, no. That's not how this works.

IF you were arrested for a crime, is the onus upon those who arrested you to prove the crime, or you to prove that you did nothing?

God does not exist. There. So go ahead, and refute that with evidence to the contrary. It's really easy. If you believe so deeply.

It's called faith. Let it go. I can't prove that God exists, or Satan exists. I accept it on faith. Call me an idiot or whatever. But this argument will go nowhere as "faith" is not something you can accept.
  • Options
    It's called faith. Let it go. I can't prove that God exists, or Satan exists. I accept it on faith. Call me an idiot or whatever. But this argument will go nowhere as "faith" is not something you can accept.

In your world, based in this fath thing that only the righteous can seem to be able to hold, who created Satan?

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    danmac wrote:
    In your world, based in this fath thing that only the righteous can seem to be able to hold, who created Satan?

God created the Heavens and the Earth, including Lucifer. Lucifer had free will, and decided he wanted to be God. Your points go nowhere.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    God created the Heavens and the Earth, including Lucifer. Lucifer had free will, and decided he wanted to be God. Your points go nowhere.

I would add: in other words when the physical universe was brought into being, the potential for choice between ideal choices that carry positive consequences came into being along with damaging choices that have negative consequences. Such choices provide the ladder of evolution.

Each person is entitled to their beliefs.

At the same time, it's hard to deny that our choices have consequences. they range from life affirming and healthy--consequences that further our purposes to choices that hold different consequences--consequences that take us backwards, or keep us stuck in our lives. The two polarities operate at all times for us humans. All we have to do is look around.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options

So if God created everything, why was this lucifer of his so faulty?

Does this make your God all powerful, still? Or does this make your God directly responsible for the suffering you percieve as being carried out by Satan?

Either way, it's your God's fault, don't ya think?

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    danmac wrote:
    So if God created everything, why was this lucifer of his so faulty?

Does this make your God all powerful, still? Or does this make your God directly responsible for the suffering you percieve as being carried out by Satan?

Either way, it's your God's fault, don't ya think?

My God created a world with free will. So, he did create a world where evil exists. I don't understand quite why. But He didn't want a world of robots. Had we not made the choices we made, the universe would be a lot better place, paradise in fact. I'm not going to blame God for human mistakes.

Edit: Is this the first time you've heard of religion? You're arguing like you think you're going to win. I'm not going to prove to you that God exists, you're going to have to come to that conclusion on your own. You aren't going to prove to me that God does not exist by saying, "Where is Satan?"
  • Options
    My God created a world with free will. So, he did create a world where evil exists. I don't understand quite why. But He didn't want a world of robots. Had we not made the choices we made, the universe would be a lot better place, paradise in fact. I'm not going to blame God for human mistakes.

Edit: Is this the first time you've heard of religion? You're arguing like you think you're going to win. I'm not going to prove to you that God exists, you're going to have to come to that conclusion on your own. You aren't going to prove to me that God does not exist by saying, "Where is Satan?"

Ok, ill make it easier for you then.

Where is God?

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

Where is God?
    Probably in the same place your love of Pearl Jam is. Can you prove such love? If you cannot, does that mean it is not real?
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182

In the end, i'm ok with God or any Gods, Allah, Bouddha, Zeus... but i have some problem to accept how some humans use these gods to achieve their own humans activities and impose them to others (see govt., religion, radical, extremist, whatever). That's why religion are a problem more than a solution, they impose rules and assume they are the right thing and oppose those thing to a entity that is evil. I mean it's not that clear for everyone, if you don't have any food, and nobody is giving any food to you (islam have some law for that) then you need to steal food, religions condemn that and those who follow religion (of all kind) then discriminate and judge others according to their own will, which lead to separation, and i haven't even start about separation between religions themselves, which is a complete massive death threatening problem on this planet.

I understand the catholic relgion very well, but even as a 12 years old, i couldn't believe in these "walk on the water" miracles, then i realize it was in fact stories to explain something that happen, but some peoples just take these "Adam and Eve" story as cash and still believe that Adam and Eve indeed lived, it's just a story to explain a war between two tribes or nations, yet it is impose to others as a fact and "God's word" are the only good thing for humans, sorry i don't buy into that.

Although i have no problem with peoples personal relation with a God, that makes them faithfull, not religious...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    This was posted by someone on here that hail hails from the heartland (Kansas City). Is this really what most Christians think?

Radical Islam has driven away the truth of Jesus Christ and the Bible from these people, and instead replaced it with a satanically inspired fanaticism that has led these people in the wrong direction, both morally and spiritually. That's why they will never find peace, financial prosperity, or food or shelter that is adequate. Satan's ulitmate goal is the destruction of Israel, to prevent the coming of Christ, and he uses these radical Islamists through his guile and influence to do his bidding. And yes, I just said that…and I really believe it and mean it. All you have to do is look at the nations who believe in God and the Bible, and then compare them to the nations who follow these ideals of Islam, and then compare the two to see who God has allowed to prosper, and who he has allowed to suffer via their faith.

First of all, No, this isn't what all Christians believe. I am a Christian, and personally I believe this country became prosperous in a relatively short amount of time, initially, on a wicked foundation of slave labor. It maintains its general "prosperity" on a wicked economic system by which the wealthy exploit the poor. Neither is exactly a shining example of Christian teaching. Lets face it. The majority of people in this country are not really all that prosperous. It has very little to do with faith and very little to do with work ethic. ALOT of hardworking faithful are strugglin'. Much of the "prosperity" floating around in America is inherited prosperity. "Prosperity" is relative. The United States, as a nation, may appear prosperous when held up to other nations, but, come to the neighborhood where I grew up, talk to some folks about how prosperous America is, and see what kind of response you get. Personally, as a Christian, I believe that many in this country who have achieved the American version of what is prosperous, by American means, will find it "easier to ride a camel through the eye of a needle than to enter the kingdom of heaven".

As for calling out another poster from another thread to make a weak pot shot at Christians in general, I find it pathetic. Why don't you just say his name? It isn't like anyone who spends any time here doesn't know who the thread starter is referring to through with the not so veiled clues. Thats just plain weak. Besides knowing who the poster in question is, most of us here know that he is a good guy. Not evil or as someone put it "racist". He is entitled to his opinions and alot more respect than you afford him here. Grow up.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    cornnifer wrote:
    First of all, No, this isn't what all Christians believe. I am a Christian, and personally I believe this country became prosperous in a relatively short amount of time, initially, on a wicked foundation of slave labor. It maintains its general "prosperity" on a wicked economic system by which the wealthy exploit the poor. Neither is exactly a shining example of Christian teaching. Lets face it. The majority of people in this country are not really all that prosperous. It has very little to do with faith and very little to do with work ethic. ALOT of hardworking faithful are strugglin'. Much of the "prosperity" floating around in America is inherited prosperity. "Prosperity" is relative. The United States, as a nation, may appear prosperous when held up to other nations, but, come to the neighborhood where I grew up, talk to some folks about how prosperous America is, and see what kind of response you get. Personally, as a Christian, I believe that many in this country who have achieved the American version of what is prosperous, by American means, will find it "easier to ride a camel through the eye of a needle than to enter the kingdom of heaven".

didnt i promise you a pm like a month ago?
  • Options
    didnt i promise you a pm like a month ago?

yep. Still waiting.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Probably in the same place your love of Pearl Jam is. Can you prove such love? If you cannot, does that mean it is not real?

I like the music played by a popular beat combo called Pearl Jam.

TO PROVE this, I can send you digital photos of the CD's on my shelf, and ticket stubs from concerts, and some t-shirts i used to wear. I can sing the songs alomost word for word, and i can answer useless trivia questions about the band. I can also take photos, and send, as proof of my likening of the bands music, of DVDs i have from various live concerts.

I can touch, hear and feel these concrete can't be disputed physical items.

By showing you these items, and my knowledge of the band and the art it produces, i therefore prove it to you.

Next?

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

TO PROVE this, I can send you digital photos of the CD's on my shelf, and ticket stubs from concerts, and some t-shirts i used to wear. I can sing the songs alomost word for word, and i can answer useless trivia questions about the band. I can also take photos, and send, as proof of my likening of the bands music, of DVDs i have from various live concerts.

By showing you these items, and my knowledge of the band and the art it produces, i therefore prove it to you.

Next?
    Not to be picky, but, none of this proves you love pearl jam's music. It shows you have the cds on the shelf (maybe they're yours, maybe they're someone else's), Itshows you (or someone) has attended some concerts (maybe you were tagging along) Your jubilation at said concerts could be a thespian attempt to win the favor of someone you admire. I can sing word for word, songs I despise. they are almost as easy to remember as the ones I love. I personally do not question your love of the band. I'm sure its real. But none of the stuff you alluded to will ACTUALLY prove it. It is, basically, unproveable.
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

Next?

You're a fool for asking, "Where is God." To answer your question correctly, He is all around us. But seriously, this is faith and religion. If we could see God in the literal sense, we wouldn't need faith, and we basically would be robots. Quit arguing for the sake of arguing.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    In the end, i'm ok with God or any Gods, Allah, Bouddha, Zeus... but i have some problem to accept how some humans use these gods to achieve their own humans activities and impose them to others (see govt., religion, radical, extremist, whatever). That's why religion are a problem more than a solution, they impose rules and assume they are the right thing and oppose those thing to a entity that is evil. I mean it's not that clear for everyone, if you don't have any food, and nobody is giving any food to you (islam have some law for that) then you need to steal food, religions condemn that and those who follow religion (of all kind) then discriminate and judge others according to their own will, which lead to separation, and i haven't even start about separation between religions themselves, which is a complete massive death threatening problem on this planet.
    This is not a problem pertaining to religion but to morals. Take a look at countries where religion was basically outlawed. They still had people telling others how to live based on their morals.
    If you're my neighbour, it's Saturday night and you're trying to get to sleep while I'm having a big party. Does it make you wrong to tell me or ask me to turn down the music so you can get some sleep? After all here it is Saturday night and you are trying to tell me how to live my life.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    This was posted by someone on here that hail hails from the heartland (Kansas City). Is this really what most Christians think?

Radical Islam has driven away the truth of Jesus Christ and the Bible from these people, and instead replaced it with a satanically inspired fanaticism that has led these people in the wrong direction, both morally and spiritually. That's why they will never find peace, financial prosperity, or food or shelter that is adequate. Satan's ulitmate goal is the destruction of Israel, to prevent the coming of Christ, and he uses these radical Islamists through his guile and influence to do his bidding. And yes, I just said that…and I really believe it and mean it. All you have to do is look at the nations who believe in God and the Bible, and then compare them to the nations who follow these ideals of Islam, and then compare the two to see who God has allowed to prosper, and who he has allowed to suffer via their faith.

God is personal; within each person. the loudest prayer is one spoken silently. one must find God within themselves. God knew that people couldn't follow one religion so there are many; but religion is one on one even though worship is social. true islam is peaceful and it is against islam to kill. people will kill in the name of God; but that doesn't mean God sanctions it.
    i'm pressed for time today but this should bring some enlightenment.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    This is not a problem pertaining to religion but to morals. Take a look at countries where religion was basically outlawed. They still had people telling others how to live based on their morals.

Like Russia you mean? It is a different problem and i agree it is a problem, yet many are victim of religious morals, you can't deny that.
    surferdude wrote:
    If you're my neighbour, it's Saturday night and you're trying to get to sleep while I'm having a big party. Does it make you wrong to tell me or ask me to turn down the music so you can get some sleep? After all here it is Saturday night and you are trying to tell me how to live my life.

If i'm your neighboor and you have a party, i hope i'll be invite to join, otherwise i'll start a neighboor war... hehe. Obviously there are laws that nobody will dispute, like late night noise, or driving under influence, or killing a man, those are humanity values, more than a religious one. It also doesn't mean that a quran law or value that is impose to people, is automaticly wrong, but when it is done "because" it's in the quran or the Bible, then that's where i see a problem...

edit: i said humanity values, should be more like national values of some sort, but not humanity, although some laws are the same everywhere on the planet, just not inforce the same way...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

Next?
    How does possession of your items prove your love of Pearl Jam?

Can you prove to us that you have ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend? Sure, you can scan pictures for us. What does that tell us? That you got them off the internet?

Does your lack of legitimate proof mean your relationship with a significant other did not exist? I mean the relationship itself, not the physical human.

Can you prove to us what you were thinking 5 years ago? If you cannot prove that, does it mean it did not happen?

Do you think you can prove how you experience the meaning and value in your life? Even if you could, do you think how you personally interpet your ideals and the meaning and value in your life is more real than how another experiences the meaning and value in their life? I'm not talking objects here--I'm talking about how you frame and interpret your life.

What you can tell me is that you don't understand the human experience of connecting with God in a spiritual sense. I can accept that. However that is a very different case than being able to legitimately state that a personally empowering relationship with God does not exist.

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    cornnifer wrote:
    yep. Still waiting.

sorry :) it's been a wild couple weeks preparing for my move. ill get to it once i get some work done this afternoon!
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    angelica wrote:
    How does possession of your items prove your love of Pearl Jam?

Can you prove to us that you have ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend? Sure, you can scan pictures for us. What does that tell us? That you got them off the internet?

Does your lack of legitimate proof mean your relationship with a significant other did not exist? I mean the relationship itself, not the physical human.

Can you prove to us what you were thinking 5 years ago? If you cannot prove that, does it mean it did not happen?

Do you think you can prove how you experience the meaning and value in your life? Even if you could, do you think how you personally interpet your ideals and the meaning and value in your life is more real than how another experiences the meaning and value in their life? I'm not talking objects here--I'm talking about how you frame and interpret your life.

What you can tell me is that you don't understand the human experience of connecting with God in a spiritual sense. I can accept that. However that is a very different case than being able to legitimately state that a personally empowering relationship with God does not exist.

religion is faith. we know where the original 10 commandments are but the monks will not display them. one must have faith. if you have faith you don't need proof. if you need proof; you don't have faith.
  • Options
    sorry :) it's been a wild couple weeks preparing for my move. ill get to it once i get some work done this afternoon!

Looking forward to it... still. :)
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    If i'm your neighboor and you have a party, i hope i'll be invite to join, otherwise i'll start a neighboor war... hehe. Obviously there are laws that nobody will dispute, like late night noise, or driving under influence, or killing a man, those are humanity values, more than a religious one. It also doesn't mean that a quran law or value that is impose to people, is automaticly wrong, but when it is done "because" it's in the quran or the Bible, then that's where i see a problem......
    Will you come even if it's a Canada Day celebration??

All laws are about telling people how to live. Just laws can be based on religious principals. Civil laws should be based on their justness. It should not matter where the idea for a just law comes from.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Rushlimbo wrote:

I guess the person who believes in this bigot crap would also tend to believe that African Americans are the spawn of Satan since they were enslaved to work for the "enlightened" white man whose Christian faith led them to their upper statues..

The more I read this paragraph the more disgusted I get...it really gets me irrate....
  • Options
    religion is faith. we know where the original 10 commandments are but the monks will not display them. one must have faith. if you have faith you don't need proof. if you need proof; you don't have faith.
    Interesting. I was not aware of that about the commandments.

If by faith you might also refer to an openness to "see", I would agree. What we choose to believe or not believe can prevent us from expanding our awareness. If we seek to justify keeping our minds closed, that is exactly what we will keep--a closed mind. Expanding our mind and embracing new ideas is how we grow and learn.

One of my favourite authors has a book entitled, "You'll see it when you believe it". It's very true, in my experience.

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    Interesting. I was not aware of that about the commandments.

If by faith you might also refer to an openness to "see", I would agree. What we choose to believe or not believe can prevent us from expanding our awareness. If we seek to justify keeping our minds closed, that is exactly what we will keep--a closed mind. Expanding our mind and embracing new ideas is how we grow and learn.

One of my favourite authors has a book entitled, "You'll see it when you believe it". It's very true, in my experience.

Who is the author?
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Will you come even if it's a Canada Day celebration??

All laws are about telling people how to live. Just laws can be based on religious principals. Civil laws should be based on their justness. It should not matter where the idea for a just law comes from.

oh i always celebrate Canada day, maybe not the same kind of celebration, maybe less "patriotic", but i do celebrate, i usually pay a visit to my Ottawa/Gatineau friend in that time of the year... and we celebrate on the parliament hill (no i have not piss on the soldiers memorial)...

About laws, of course some will be in agreement with laws even if they come from the Bible or quran or else, but when some peoples oppose a law or a bill, and the other side argument is something related to the Bible or to God, then it's getting "dangerous" (see gay marriage as an example.)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    oh i always celebrate Canada day, maybe not the same kind of celebration, maybe less "patriotic", but i do celebrate, i usually pay a visit to my Ottawa/Gatineau friend in that time of the year... and we celebrate on the parliament hill (no i have not piss on the soldiers memorial)...

About laws, of course some will be in agreement with laws even if they come from the Bible or quran or else, but when some peoples oppose a law or a bill, and the other side argument is something related to the Bible or to God, then it's getting "dangerous" (see gay marriage as an example.)

Totally agree a law/bill should neither be approved/rejected because of a relgious arguement...
  • Options
    Who is the author?
    Wayne W. Dyer. He teaches about self-realisation.

Another favourite of mine from him is "Real Magic". Those books taught me that I had it in me to heal myself and to become healthy and whole, many years ago. The books are about the amazing human potential many of us don't realise we have to tap into.