Options

Thousands protest Israel offensive at White House..

CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    in germany too ....
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    in germany too ....

nice
  • Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    Commy wrote:
    nice
    it´s allright...

you allways have to see both side

see the staate israel is never accebted by many arabian countrys ...everybody want to hurt israel every day every minute every second bombs etc. years years since years etc.

israel and the whole middle east is a cauldron...
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    I guess they'll show this protest later on c span?
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    I guess they'll show this protest later on c span?

You mean to tell me they don't have this at all on the 'news' networks? They don't show both sides of the issue?? How can this be!!!!????
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    You mean to tell me they don't have this at all on the 'news' networks? They don't show both sides of the issue?? How can this be!!!!????

strange ain't it, haha!

serioulsy, I did'nt even know a rally like this was going on.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    strange ain't it, haha!

serioulsy, I did'nt even know a rally like this was going on.

Me either....
  • Options
    Me either....

so I guess "the system" won this time.

hide the information, censor, burn it , just don't let people find out what's going on until it's too late.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i didn't find out about it until friday and by then it was too late to get to dc (already had plans for the weekend that couldn't be broken)...there was one in LA, too, or supposed to be
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    so I guess "the system" won this time.

hide the information, censor, burn it , just don't let people find out what's going on until it's too late.

I just do not know what is wrong with peace....a time in our world where war is the popular choice (yet in a civilians reality it far from the fact) and peace is labelled as a bad thing....just frustrating.....that it gets portrayed as the bad thing.....that is just wrong....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    I just do not know what is wrong with peace....a time in our world where war is the popular choice (yet in a civilians reality it far from the fact) and peace is labelled as a bad thing....just frustrating.....that it gets portrayed as the bad thing.....that is just wrong....

Peace isn't a bad thing. Some humans are.
  • Options

Is it newsworthy? I don't know. People protest outside of the White House all the time. People in the States support Israel, and people in the States hate Israel. I think broadcasting about what is actually going on over there (today Israel said something like 250 rockets were launched into Israel, and Israel vice-versa) is more important than what a few Americans think. I personally don't care about a protest at the White House when there is real news to be broadcast. I don't need a damn protest to tell me that people in America don't support the war in Iraq or the Israel-Hezbollah fighting.
  • Options
    Is it newsworthy? I don't know. People protest outside of the White House all the time. People in the States support Israel, and people in the States hate Israel. I think broadcasting about what is actually going on over there (today Israel said something like 250 rockets were launched into Israel, and Israel vice-versa) is more important than what a few Americans think. I personally don't care about a protest at the White House when there is real news to be broadcast. I don't need a damn protest to tell me that people in America don't support the war in Iraq or the Israel-Hezbollah fighting.

So you don't think conformity plays a big part in our society? People see things on the news as right or wrong, they feel it must be true, this is how things are. They don't see how so many others are outraged and speaking out so in their minds it becomes almost non-existant or 'fringe'. Differing viewpoints and opinions should always be offered to be able to reach a well rounded, informed opinion. The news always treats these kind of things as if they are not important when infact they are extremely important in terms of living in a true democracy...democracy (a term people don't really want to believe in, unless it is benefiting themselves.) People protesting the war is an event that is just as newsworthy as any other event...all events that ever happen across this world blossom from a person or group of peoples opinion. The opinion starts in the head and then turns into action...be it war, protest, crime, animal rescues. So yes, all events on these issues should be covered and treated with importance.

Why supress it?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Interesting.

Muslims protesting the war and placing all the blame squarely on Israel's shoulders, and screaming "Allahu Akbar" (God is Great) ":rolleyes:

What, no Muslim's in attendence felt the need to call Hizbullah and radical-Muslims out for their propaganda, attrocities, provocations and violent actions? :rolleyes:

Seems like such an objective and unbiased crowd:rolleyes:

The minute they chanted "Allahu Akbar", that was the very instance they defeated themselves and made themselves look foolish.
  • Options
    So you don't think conformity plays a big part in our society? People see things on the news as right or wrong, they feel it must be true, this is how things are. They don't see how so many others are outraged and speaking out so in their minds it becomes almost non-existant or 'fringe'. Differing viewpoints and opinions should always be offered to be able to reach a well rounded, informed opinion. The news always treats these kind of things as if they are not important when infact they are extremely important in terms of living in a true democracy...democracy (a term people don't really want to believe in, unless it is benefiting themselves.) People protesting the war is an event that is just as newsworthy as any other event...all events that ever happen across this world blossom from a person or group of peoples opinion. The opinion starts in the head and then turns into action...be it war, protest, crime, animal rescues. So yes, all events on these issues should be covered and treated with importance.

Why supress it?

I don't think anyone is suppressing it. "This just in....a group of Americans believe the Israel-Palestine battle is wrong. Stay tuned." I think I hear the sound of a million remotes clicking. Just doesn't seem newsworthy to me at all.

Protests are usually done by the fanatical fringe of either ideology. I don't really care too much what these folks have to say anyway.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is suppressing it. "This just in....a group of Americans believe the Israel-Palestine battle is wrong. Stay tuned." I think I hear the sound of a million remotes clicking. Just doesn't seem newsworthy to me at all..

You think you hear a million remotes clicking. I think I hear a million new conversations started about and some new thoughts emerging.
    Protests are usually done by the fanatical fringe of either ideology. I don't really care too much what these folks have to say anyway.

Protest are done by those who feel passionately about their beliefs to get out and try to do something about it. If they aren't harming anyone, I say good for them even if I disagree...it's shows they are alive and their hearts are beating. Why wouldn't you care about what these people have to say? Is it only your view you care about? Could ever imagine someone else might know a little bit more than you from time to time? Are your beliefs so easily shaken that you close out what someone else may have to offer before even hearing it in the first place? How sheltered and closeminded.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    You think you hear a million remotes clicking. I think I hear a million new conversations started about and some new thoughts emerging.

Protest are done by those who feel passionately about their beliefs to get out and try to do something about it. If they aren't harming anyone, I say good for them even if I disagree...it's shows they are alive and their heatrs are beating. Why wouldn't you care about what these people have to say? Is it only your view you care about? Could ever imagine someone else might know a little bit more than you from time to time? Are your beliefs so easily shaken that you close out what someone else may have to offer before even hearing it in the first place? How sheltered and closeminded.

Well, since the news media is about money, if the news of the protest would do as you say, then they'd show them.

You are great at forming erroneous conclusions. I never said protests are wrong. I just said they aren't newsworthy, at least on a day where 250 missiles were launched into Israel, and Israel was bombing Beirut and had 30,000 troops in Lebanon. I'm not as close-minded as you may think. I just can't stand far-left liberals or far-right conservatives. So, my point is that I can look at a situation and form my own conclusion without watching a bunch of angry people on television stand outside of a building with signs telling me what to believe. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I just see folks who have agendas, and stay clear of them (i.e, Cyndy Sheehand and her far-left compatriots).

If I was close-minded Pearl Jam wouldn't be my favorite band. The close-minded folks on here are the ones that ask the question "Why do conservatives like Pearl Jam?"
  • Options
    Also, Didn't The Us Just Approve A UN Resolution To End The Israel-hezbollah Fighting? Damn America!
  • Options
    Well, since the news media is about money, if the news of the protest would do as you say, then they'd show them.

You are great at forming erroneous conclusions. I never said protests are wrong. I just said they aren't newsworthy, at least on a day where 250 missiles were launched into Israel, and Israel was bombing Beirut and had 30,000 troops in Lebanon. I'm not as close-minded as you may think. I just can't stand far-left liberals or far-right conservatives. So, my point is that I can look at a situation and form my own conclusion without watching a bunch of angry people on television stand outside of a building with signs telling me what to believe. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I just see folks who have agendas, and stay clear of them (i.e, Cyndy Sheehand and her far-left compatriots).

If I was close-minded Pearl Jam wouldn't be my favorite band. The close-minded folks on here are the ones that ask the question "Why do conservatives like Pearl Jam?"

Simple, there's more money to be made in war than to be made in opening up true dialogue and debate on national news.

In your own words...."Protests are usually done by the fanatical fringe of either ideology. I don't really care too much what these folks have to say anyway." Hmmmm...ever think maybe there's an important reason as to why they might be angry? Or do you just write them off?

Do you listen to PJ to hear their politcal views or do you put them aside to enjoy the music? Do you care what Ed has to say about current events?Music has more to offer than just opinions, so it can be overlooked to still enjoy the purely musical aspect of the band. Whereas reading and viewing news can't be overlooked because you like the sound of the words.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Also, Didn't The Us Just Approve A UN Resolution To End The Israel-hezbollah Fighting? Damn America!

There's always hope or else I wouldn't bother. ;)

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Simple, there's more money to be made in war than to be made in opening up true dialogue and debate on national news.

In your own words...."Protests are usually done by the fanatical fringe of either ideology. I don't really care too much what these folks have to say anyway." Hmmmm...ever think maybe there's an important reason as to why they might be angry? Or do you just write them off?

I already know what their point is. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize why some people agree or disagree with the Iraq war, or tax cuts, or abortion, etc.... A protest like yesterday's is not news.
    Do you listen to PJ to hear their politcal views or do you put them aside to enjoy the music? Do you care what Ed has to say about current events?Music has more to offer than just opinions, so it can be overlooked to still enjoy the purely musical aspect of the band. Whereas reading and viewing news can't be overlooked because you like the sound of the words.

In my opinion you can't be a fan of Pearl Jam and completely overlook their political leanings. Some of their positions I support, while others I do not. For example, I support their views on the environment. I'm not exactly sold on the idea of global warming, but I do think we can and should do more to protect our environment. Ed's opinion on tax cuts and unemployment I will strongly disagree with. But no, I do not look to Pearl Jam for political or cultural guidance.
  • Options

If America really wanted an end to the fighting they'd stop sending israel tanks and missles.

btw
    ----
    Huge Israeli offensive launched
    Despite UN agreement on ceasefire, 30,000 troops are now operating inside Lebanon
    By Donald Macintyre in Metulla
    Published: 13 August 2006

Israel was in the midst of an expanded air and ground military campaign inside Lebanon yesterday despite international agreement on a UN resolution calling for an "immediate" halt to a month of hostilities by both sides.

In the largest operation of its kind since the Yom Kippur war in 1973, the Israelis used up to 50 helicopters to land hundreds of troops deep inside southern Lebanon before dawn as part of the intensified ground offensive ordered by the Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, hours before Friday's UN vote

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article1218886.ece
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    If America really wanted an end to the fighting they'd stop sending israel tanks and missles.

btw
    ----
    Huge Israeli offensive launched
    Despite UN agreement on ceasefire, 30,000 troops are now operating inside Lebanon
    By Donald Macintyre in Metulla
    Published: 13 August 2006

Israel was in the midst of an expanded air and ground military campaign inside Lebanon yesterday despite international agreement on a UN resolution calling for an "immediate" halt to a month of hostilities by both sides.

In the largest operation of its kind since the Yom Kippur war in 1973, the Israelis used up to 50 helicopters to land hundreds of troops deep inside southern Lebanon before dawn as part of the intensified ground offensive ordered by the Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, hours before Friday's UN vote

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article1218886.ece

We will find out soon enough whether the resolution works. Please note that Hezbollah has also continued to fight as well. The US is selling Israel weapons to defend itself. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    We will find out soon enough whether the resolution works. Please note that Hezbollah has also continued to fight as well. The US is selling Israel weapons to defend itself. Nothing wrong with that.

often times the weapons are used for non defensive purposes, which is one of multiple breaches of US law regarding supporting israel
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    often times the weapons are used for non defensive purposes, which is one of multiple breaches of US law regarding supporting israel

Well in this case they are using them to fight Hezbollah.
  • Options
    dayandayan Posts: 475

Protest are done by those who feel passionately about their beliefs to get out and try to do something about it. If they aren't harming anyone, I say good for them even if I disagree...it's shows they are alive and their hearts are beating. Why wouldn't you care about what these people have to say? Is it only your view you care about? Could ever imagine someone else might know a little bit more than you from time to time? Are your beliefs so easily shaken that you close out what someone else may have to offer before even hearing it in the first place? How sheltered and closeminded.

It's funny. There were also rallies and protests recently in support of Israel. I didn't see them getting widely reported in the news, and yet neither do I see you bemoaning that fact. I wonder, would you make the same argument about the pro-Israel protests and rallies?
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    It's funny. There were also rallies and protests recently in support of Israel. I didn't see them getting widely reported in the news, and yet neither do I see you bemoaning that fact. I wonder, would you make the same argument about the pro-Israel protests and rallies?

I look forward to this response.
  • Options
    I already know what their point is. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize why some people agree or disagree with the Iraq war, or tax cuts, or abortion, etc.... A protest like yesterday's is not news.

Discussion and dialogue including ALL viewpoint should be included when reporting the news. How is it not news? It just happened yesterday...it could give others ideas about organizing and attending these kind of events to express their feelings on the matter. Just being aware that these events are going on could draw a bigger crowd or even just peak someones curiosity who may be undecided enough to cause them to look further into the matter. News is to inform people.

In my opinion you can't be a fan of Pearl Jam and completely overlook their political leanings. Some of their positions I support, while others I do not. For example, I support their views on the environment. I'm not exactly sold on the idea of global warming, but I do think we can and should do more to protect our environment. Ed's opinion on tax cuts and unemployment I will strongly disagree with. But no, I do not look to Pearl Jam for political or cultural guidance.

So you can enjoy the songs you disagree with? Or do you feel you can't overlook the message in the song enough to get into it?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    So you can enjoy the songs you disagree with? Or do you feel you can't overlook the message in the song enough to get into it?

I definitely can enjoy the songs I disagree with. I enjoy the attitude in WWS, but I don't agree with the message.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:

Hmmm....I don't agree with Israel's actions. Maybe you should post about it if it means enough to you. I would never argue your right to post what you believe in, I'll only disagree with you if I do.

-Oscar Wilde