Options

Our Food is Killing Us!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I would suggest you stop breathing air, because there are so many contaminants in the air. A study in Ontario took regular people with regular diets and habits and tested them for toxicity and they were through the roof. The air we breath is utterly disgusting and full of toxins. I'd say for every breath you take does more damage to your system than a meal of GE crops, assuming GE food does any harm at all.
    As an alternative to not breathing, I'd suggest reducing the number of contaminants in the air. It's just an idea.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    GE crops don't account for anywhere near 80% of our food. If they did, everyone in Europe and Japan and many other countries would have starved to death by now because they are banned there.

And no, I don't like them. We are serving as guinea pigs for the GM food industry, and we'll find out just how dangerous they are or aren't in about another 20 years. If you want to be a guinea pig, that's your choice, but GM food should absolutely be labeled. It ought to be MY choice whether or not I participate in an experiment.

For those who are concerned, the four major GM crops are soy, wheat, corn and cotton (think cottonseed oil). If you are consuming any of these (and you probably are eating significant quantities of the first three if you eat any packaged food at all) and the packaging doesn't say "organic" or "non-GM," you are almost certainly eating genetically modified food, and no one can tell you what the consequences of that will be. That's not to say that there aren't other gentically modified foods out there, but virtually all non-organic mass-produced products containing soy, wheat, corn or cotton contain them.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/Home/index.cfm

couldn't agree more....
  • Options
    A lot of these products are sold worldwide. Since there are different standards in different nations and even different states/provinces, you now have a situation where you can only order 1,000 packages of one type rather than 1,000,000 packages of one type. This costs companies millions of dollars every year.

It may require more complication when taking into account international distribution but I still say it's easily do-able worth the costs considering rising healthcare costs etc.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    No. Their choices are equally important as your choices. You can't force their hand for your convenience.

I'm not interested in protecting profits. If I was I'd be advocating that people eat McDonalds. I'm interested in protecting choice. If I think I have the right to force McDonalds to do something, how long will it be until McDonalds forces me to do something?

Again, your "good use".

I know you think there should be no laws prohibiting things but I happen to disagree and think regulation is sometimes needed to protect society.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    life expectancy in the good ole U.S.A. is 77yrs.

breathe.....

breathe in the air..............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    life expectancy in the good ole U.S.A. is 77yrs.

breathe.....

breathe in the air..............
    My life expectancy is 47. If I beat that, I'll be considered a big success story. Cancer is on the rise, particularly among younger people. 20 years ago, it was almost unheard of to see my cancer in women under 55. It's still unusual, but not to nearly the degree that it was. There is no way I'll believe that our environment isn't causing this.

Think twice about that air.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I know you think there should be no laws prohibiting things but I happen to disagree and think regulation is sometimes needed to protect society.

I have a libertarian yet utilitarian view of laws in a society. I think they should be minimized, in general, but if you can show me that they do indeed serve to protect lives or benefit people in some other way, then OK, go ahead.

Applying this to the present debate, if one could show me some evidence that food warning labels reduce obesity and/or improve health, then by all means. Of course, this requires that the law be piloted somewhere, before mass implementation. One could also point to other research findings which suggest that the law might be beneficial, that would usually be enough to convince me.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    My life expectancy is 47. If I beat that, I'll be considered a big success story. Cancer is on the rise, particularly among younger people. 20 years ago, it was almost unheard of to see my cancer in women under 55. It's still unusual, but not to nearly the degree that it was. There is no way I'll believe that our environment isn't causing this.

Think twice about that air.
    you are gonna be here....many many many many years......

making statements that make me wanna pull my eyeballs out of my head...

hehehehehehehe...............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    No, your choices are killing you. Stop blaming corporations and eat a fucking apple.
    That's good advice, I only wish it were that simple.

Yes, virtually any apple is better for you than a moon pie, but if you're truly interested in getting the crap out of your diet, it's not going to be that simple. "Crap" includes pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, and genetically modified organisms, and there are vast areas of the country where it is difficult, if not impossible, to eliminate these. And if you're poor, forget it, it ain't happening.
  • Options
    you are gonna be here....many many many many years......

making statements that make me wanna pull my eyeballs out of my head...

hehehehehehehe...............
    WARNING: MESSAGE BOARD POSTS BY HIPPIEMOM MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    polaris wrote:
    anyone see jamie oliver's thingie ... he pretty much embarassed the british gov't by providing healthy good food at the same price as they were paying for shit ...

anyways - this is related to a pet peeve of mine as it relates to health care ... we spend so much money trying to cure people that we don't spend any money on actually preventing people from getting sick ...
    Problems is that we can't make people take care of themselves and prevent illness. However they can demand we take care of them after they haven't taken care of themselves.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    hippiemom wrote:
    GE crops don't account for anywhere near 80% of our food. If they did, everyone in Europe and Japan and many other countries would have starved to death by now because they are banned there.

And no, I don't like them. We are serving as guinea pigs for the GM food industry, and we'll find out just how dangerous they are or aren't in about another 20 years. If you want to be a guinea pig, that's your choice, but GM food should absolutely be labeled. It ought to be MY choice whether or not I participate in an experiment.

For those who are concerned, the four major GM crops are soy, wheat, corn and cotton (think cottonseed oil). If you are consuming any of these (and you probably are eating significant quantities of the first three if you eat any packaged food at all) and the packaging doesn't say "organic" or "non-GM," you are almost certainly eating genetically modified food, and no one can tell you what the consequences of that will be. That's not to say that there aren't other gentically modified foods out there, but virtually all non-organic mass-produced products containing soy, wheat, corn or cotton contain them.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/Home/index.cfm

First of all, I am speaking of "our" food as a whole planet. The consequences of eating GE crops is quite simple really. Increased Vitamins and decreased bad shit. The whole purpose for GE foods is to make them better, not worse and sufficient research has been done to ensure the food is safe and actually better for you than non-GM crops. There is virtually no evidence to support the claim that GE crops are bad, except wild skepticism.

I can only assume that opponents of GE crops consider themselves spiritually enlightened or faithful followers of god. The reason I think this, is because their methods of debate are identical to proving god's existance. E.g. Well how do we know there isn't something invisible in there we have no idea about because we are too primitive. Fact, researches have studies genetics and come up with some fool proof ways of modifying genes.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    First of all, I am speaking of "our" food as a whole planet. The consequences of eating GE crops is quite simple really. Increased Vitamins and decreased bad shit. The whole purpose for GE foods is to make them better, not worse and sufficient research has been done to ensure the food is safe and actually better for you than non-GM crops. There is virtually no evidence to support the claim that GE crops are bad, except wild skepticism.

I can only assume that opponents of GE crops consider themselves spiritually enlightened or faithful followers of god. The reason I think this, is because their methods of debate are identical to proving god's existance. E.g. Well how do we know there isn't something invisible in there we have no idea about because we are too primitive. Fact, researches have studies genetics and come up with some fool proof ways of modifying genes.
    Monsanto Whistleblower Says Genetically Engineered Crops May Cause Disease
    “The protein that manifests as mad cow disease takes about five years. With humans, however, that time line is anywhere from 10-30 years. We were talking about 1997 and today is 2006. We still don’t know if there is anything going to happen to us from our being used as test subjects.”

Genetically Engineered Crops May Produce Herbicide Inside Our Intestines
    "There are no required safety tests for HT crops in the US—if the biotech companies declare them fit for human consumption, the FDA has no further questions."

2005, a Scary Year for Genetically Engineered Crops
    "At a conference in October, a leading scientist from the Russian Academy of Sciences reported that more than half (55.6%) of the offspring of rats fed GM soy died within three weeks. By contrast, only 9% of rats died whose mothers were fed non-GM soy. The study is preliminary, but the American Academy of Environmental Medicine asked the NIH to immediately repeat it."

Genetically Modified Peas Caused Dangerous Immune Response in Mice
    "Judy Carman, an epidemiologist and the director of The Institute of Health and Environmental Research in Australia, “If a GM food was introduced onto supermarket shelves and caused an immune reaction, it would be very difficult to find the culprit, particularly if it caused reactions to other, different foods, as this GM pea was found to do.” As you probably guessed, adjuvant testing is not part of any normal GM food approval process."
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    hippiemom wrote:
    That's good advice, I only wish it were that simple.

Yes, virtually any apple is better for you than a moon pie, but if you're truly interested in getting the crap out of your diet, it's not going to be that simple. "Crap" includes pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, and genetically modified organisms, and there are vast areas of the country where it is difficult, if not impossible, to eliminate these. And if you're poor, forget it, it ain't happening.
    Don't forget our friends, PCBs and Mercury..........:).......they love us so much that they just want to dwell within our bodies too.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Ahnimus wrote:

GM foods are not necessarily made to make better food, but to make food more efficiently. There are some crops ie golden rice, that have added vitamins, however, the majority are engineered so they ripen earlier, grow shorter, are more frost/pest resilient and can be harvested younger. There are numerous cases of "insect resistant" crops that have been overcome because the insects have adapted, or a new fungus etc has become resistant to the GM crops defense mechanisms. This has essentially become a race for scientists to try to keep one step ahead of the pests which are only making things worse for the average farmer as infestations become more severe. More pesticides are being added which have been scientifically linked to variuos health issues and there is ZERO data to assure us that there are no long term effects on our health.

Personally, I cannot eat anything that has been sprayed because it causes my throat to swell up. That is proof enough for me that it is bad shit. Pesticides are poison. Poison has no place on my food.

There are numerous accoutns of cross pollinisation that has badly effected local ecosystems. To assert that they are completely harmless is an inaccurate statement.
  • Options
    Haha, man, you people complain about this, but you no doubt have no problem getting in your SUV to go buy something more harmful to you like cosmetics or just to watch a movie and numb your brain.

Mad Cow is the result of using animal parts to feed animals, and it's not that common, trust me I've done the research on it. Or Jacobs disease, whatever it was called. It eats holes in the brain, yea I know, it's just not that big of a deal.

Wouldn't more resilient crops be "better" crops. I clearly didn't specify in what way it's better, some are designed to withstand infestation better so hopefully pesticides aren't required. Now, you go out and plant some crop and don't spray them with pesticides then find your crap eaten one day. I grew up all around farmland, some of my family were farmers. We really have no choice but to use something to battle infestations. Tobaco works, if you put tobaco around crops it drives a lot of the bugs and animals away, however, it is illegal for the average person to grow tobaco and you'd probably bitch about that too. Saying there is unseen effects that might affect us some time in the future. That is a lot of uncertainty based on nothing but skepticism.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Haha, man, you people complain about this, but you no doubt have no problem getting in your SUV to go buy something more harmful to you like cosmetics or just to watch a movie and numb your brain.
    Um, I don't get into my SUV. In fact I take public transit. I don't use or wear cosmetics (Does speed stick and colgate count), lastly, what does watching a movie (or anything else here have anything to do with crops?
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Mad Cow is the result of using animal parts to feed animals, and it's not that common, trust me I've done the research on it. Or Jacobs disease, whatever it was called. It eats holes in the brain, yea I know, it's just not that big of a deal.
    Okay, nobody is debating that here.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Wouldn't more resilient crops be "better" crops. I clearly didn't specify in what way it's better, some are designed to withstand infestation better so hopefully pesticides aren't required. Now, you go out and plant some crop and don't spray them with pesticides then find your crap eaten one day. I grew up all around farmland, some of my family were farmers. We really have no choice but to use something to battle infestations. Tobaco works, if you put tobaco around crops it drives a lot of the bugs and animals away, however, it is illegal for the average person to grow tobaco and you'd probably bitch about that too. Saying there is unseen effects that might affect us some time in the future. That is a lot of uncertainty based on nothing but skepticism.
    No, because nature is resilient, and has shown that it can be very adaptable to obstacles such as pest resistant crops. They are able to adapt and become resistant themselves to the new defences of GM crops and force the scientists scrambling to find an even more toxic defence against pests. Its an endless struggle that winds up with tougher and tougher pests, which means more and more infestations as we help breed tougher opponents. Its not a better solution, it is more costly, we still are getting infestations on our "pest proof" crops, and the average joe farmer, is getting decimated by these superpests.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Saying there is unseen effects that might affect us some time in the future. That is a lot of uncertainty based on nothing but skepticism.
    So would you be okay taking drugs untested drugs at the pharmacy?
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    neo wrote:
    don't eat the brown acid.......

i should start a fight with myself, flag it to the mods, and get myself banned. fuckin'a.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Um, I don't get into my SUV. In fact I take public transit. I don't use or wear cosmetics (Does speed stick and colgate count), lastly, what does watching a movie (or anything else here have anything to do with crops?

Okay, nobody is debating that here.

No, because nature is resilient, and has shown that it can be very adaptable to obstacles such as pest resistant crops. They are able to adapt and become resistant themselves to the new defences of GM crops and force the scientists scrambling to find an even more toxic defence against pests. Its an endless struggle that winds up with tougher and tougher pests, which means more and more infestations as we help breed tougher opponents. Its not a better solution, it is more costly, we still are getting infestations on our "pest proof" crops, and the average joe farmer, is getting decimated by these superpests.

So would you be okay taking drugs untested drugs at the pharmacy?

Well, I'm not going to debate this with you anymore. You are just going to have to deal with eating GE food, because it's going to become a major part of our crops. Sorry you don't like it.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well, I'm not going to debate this with you anymore. You are just going to have to deal with eating GE food, because it's going to become a major part of our crops. Sorry you don't like it.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. I have switched to organic fruits and veggies when I can and local/free range meat for now. I see a lot of promise for a good market for organics etc. Even wal-mart is carrying them now. With a higher demand for them, we'll likely see prices begin to fall. Honestly, health aside, organic really does taste better too.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Is it wrong to find news like this funny? I mean not only is america killing people around the world, they are also killing themselves. by eating!
    ----

as far as organic stuff goes, fruit and veg stuff tastes much better, so does the milk. I have no problem paying a bit extra for that stuff.

I also see the a large amount of people trying to get healthy, I see many more people running these day's, playing sports. Really cool to see.