Options

Our Food is Killing Us!

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    surferdude wrote:
    In a bad week we'll have two pre-packaged dinners. One is usually pizza and the other lasagna. And I'm a single parent, so healthy eating is do able. No food is quicker than an apple. Bananas are pretty close behind. Pre-cut fruits like cantaloupe and watermelon keep pretty good in the fridge. Cheaper than chips too.

What irks my chain in this debate is that it's the kids who are responsible, who care about their health, who understand the the concept of moderation are asked to pay the price. Food and food choices are not the problem, fat people are. But we seem afraid to address the problem. It's a pc cop-out and it has no place in our schools.
    I live alone... and i know how hard it is to keep fresh fruits and vegetables around without having them rot (they should really call that drawer in your refridgerator the 'Rotter'... because just about everything that goes in there rots). I know that the shelf life of a peach is a couple of days... and forget about green lettuce salads. Still, I think it's the amount of food you eat... the number of times per day you eat.... and the amount of exercise you get on a daily basis.
    But, it is partly the kids... the ones who'll eat the whole bag of Lays Potato chips while watching 4 hours of SpongeBob or 8 hours of Grand Theft Auto. It's partly the parent for allowing this to even exist, but it is also the kid's responsibility to avoid raiding the pantry and fridge for all of the snack foods. The kid can eat like that if he is out there running around and burning up the calories. Sitting on his ass in front of a screen is just going to make him fat.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed, but it was briefly touched on earlier in the thread:

It's a catch 22 possibly for schools to not accept the money Coca Cola or other companies are willing to give them if they can not get the money from the members of the communities. I don't think it's an absolute, but it's definitely a question many school administrators must ponder. I don't want the vending machines in schools, but what other alternatives could I propose? Raise taxes? Does that go over very well for members of the community? In 1996 I was in a protest just to maintain the money allocated for the Seattle School system from one year to the next not to raise it. As people have to protest so that other members of the community vote to maintain the current spending on schools, I would think that many school administrators must look towards other sources of revenue to stay on top of expenses. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I guess the question is do schools accept money from Coca-Cola and other vending machine companies as a last resort mostly, or do they accept it as a first resort? It is a stealth maneuver/good marketing strategy to get in the schools. I hope if I have children that their schools don't have those machines, but at that time I would need to say "What am I willing to do to make sure they stay out."

The movie "Supersize This" touches on this question as does the newest book by Frances Lappe who wrote Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059
    surferdude wrote:
    Easily counter-acted by physical activity.

That's not entirely true. I think I read somewhere that eating habits are like 4 times as important as excercise for weight (that said everyone should excercise 6.5 days a week).

I am my own anecdotal evidence. When I was 50 pounds overweight, my cardio used to blow people away. I was (and still am) in better shape than 95% of the people I came across. But I was still fat. It was about the eating.

I tend to agree that sugar is not quite as bad as fat, but calories are calories to an extent.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Then perhaps schools should have smoking sections. In fact why should there even be an age to buy tobacco. Why should I tell a kid he can't have an occaisional smoke at school just becasue someone else smokes three packs a day?

I agree -- there shouldn't be any legal age to buy tobacco.

Regardless, smoking is much more harmful than a can of coke and a can of coke isn't going to get a kid addicted to the stuff. And there's certainly no such thing as second-hand coking.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The coke is infact harmful when overconsumed.
    So let's address the over consumption. Let's address the problem. Let's get fat Julie and Fat Jim help and hold them and their parents accountable. Let's stop holding their healthy play buddy Johny accountable though. Johny having a coke once a week at school is not the problem, so let's not treat it like it is.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    That's true. No getting around it.

All of the people in my parents situation say that they did not know how bad smoking was when the started (what a BS cop out). Well now we know. AND we have labeling. And the proportion of people that smoke is approximately the same today as it was in the 1980s and the 1960s.

But it is addictive and hard to stop once you start (oftens times out of bad decisions) Food is different. People don't go through withdrawls from fast food, do they? What can the labeling hurt? We don't know if if would make a difference or not yet.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    That's not entirely true. I think I read somewhere that eating habits are like 4 times as important as excercise for weight (that said everyone should excercise 6.5 days a week).

I am my own anecdotal evidence. When I was 50 pounds overweight, my cardio used to blow people away. I was (and still am) in better shape than 95% of the people I came across. But I was still fat. It was about the eating.

I tend to agree that sugar is not quite as bad as fat, but calories are calories to an extent.

I think there are individual differences, though ... For some people, diet is key. Others (like myself) can eat quite badly from time to time but easily work it off via exercise.
    I also know several people who have not really changed their eating habits, but who have stopped driving everywhere. All the extra exercise has translated into fairly impressive weight loss.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    So let's address the over consumption. Let's address the problem. Let's get fat Julie and Fat Jim help and hold them and their parents accountable. Let's stop holding their healthy play buddy Johny accountable though. Johny having a coke once a week at school is not the problem, so let's not treat it like it is.

Johnny will manage without his prized, useless one coke a week and it could make a huge difference in the life of the ridiculed fat kid. He could find he even prefers the alternatives out there when added to his weigh loss and better health.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    There are no labels on any junk food I've seen that warn of health risks.

So the nutritional contents are not enough? Now we have to warn people of the possible effects of those contents? Would you like to see a "May be hazardous to your health" label on junk food? Well, you better put that on nearly every piece of food sold in America since all food eaten in excess can be dangerous to your health.

Sorry, but if you can't figure out that "150% of your daily recommended intake of fat" during one meal is unhealthy, it's time to stop having faith in labels.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    I think there are individual differences, though ... For some people, diet is key. Others (like myself) can eat quite badly from time to time but easily work it off via exercise.
    I also know several people who have not really changed their eating habits, but who have stopped driving everywhere. All the extra exercise has translated into fairly impressive weight loss.

weight is not the only indication of health ... its about how one feels, how one can fight off illnesses, etc ...

either way - north americans are easy prey ... we lap up whatever corporations sell us and treat it as gospel ...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    The coke is not necessary and it is infact harmful when overconsumed.
    I wonder... where do these kids get the money to buy this stuff? I know that the Coke machine here at work is a buck 25 for one... as a kid, I didn't get squat until I got a paper route. If a kid drinks 15 Cokes a day... that's 20 bucks a day in Cokes alone.
    Where is this kid getting the money from?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    I agree -- there shouldn't be any legal age to buy tobacco.

Regardless, smoking is much more harmful than a can of coke and a can of coke isn't going to get a kid addicted to the stuff. And there's certainly no such thing as second-hand coking.

Caffeine is addictive, or do you not believe that?

I'm a caffeine addict, but my method of delivery is coffee. Not that coke shit.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    Johnny will manage without his prized, useless one coke a week and it could make a huge difference in the life of the ridiculed fat kid. He could find he even prefers the alternatives out there when added to his weigh loss and better health.

So in other words Johnny's choices are only available if they match your standard of "useful". It's nice that you consider that he might "prefer the alternatives". Let's hope he does since you've now turned the "alternative" into the only available choice. Ick.
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Caffeine is addictive, or do you not believe that?

I do believe that.
    I'm a caffeine addict, but my method of delivery is coffee. Not that coke shit.

I actually kicked the caffiene habit a few years ago. I was drinking about a pot of black coffee a day. I felt weird for a couple of days, but now I'm glad I did it.
  • Options
    So the nutritional contents are not enough? Now we have to warn people of the possible effects of those contents? Would you like to see a "May be hazardous to your health" label on junk food? Well, you better put that on nearly every piece of food sold in America since all food eaten in excess can be dangerous to your health.

Maybe we should, it wouldn't hurt. But I'm speaking of the more dangerous types of over processed junk food with tons of chemicals and added ingredients.
    Sorry, but if you can't figure out that "150% of your daily recommended intake of fat" during one meal is unhealthy, it's time to stop having faith in labels.

Giving the educational system we currently have, it wouldn't be a bad idea to spell some things out more clearly.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Ever see the sodium content on can soups and ravs and such. it is fucking outrageous!!! i wouldn't touch that shit if you paid me.
    Guess I'll trn on music instead...

ccfa.org

http://organicconsumers.com/
  • Options
    So in other words Johnny's choices are only available if they match your standard of "useful". It's nice that you consider that he might "prefer the alternatives". Let's hope he does since you've now turned the "alternative" into the only available choice. Ick.

School isn't there for Johnny to have his pick of whatever crap he wants. Schools are for education, I'm sure he'll understand or he can bring his own.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I wonder... where do these kids get the money to buy this stuff? I know that the Coke machine here at work is a buck 25 for one... as a kid, I didn't get squat until I got a paper route. If a kid drinks 15 Cokes a day... that's 20 bucks a day in Cokes alone.
    Where is this kid getting the money from?

Our lunches were like 20 mins. How do they have the time to chug this stuff so fast, as well? They must spend their whole lunch feeding dollars into the machine.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    School isn't there for Johnny to have his pick of whatever crap he wants. Schools are for education, I'm sure he'll understand or he can bring his own.

Cool. Bye-bye free lunches for the poor too.
  • Options
    Cool. Bye-bye free lunches for the poor too.

Why? Because coke is unhealthy and has no place in schools?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Our lunches were like 20 mins. How do they have the time to chug this stuff so fast, as well? They must spend their whole lunch feeding dollars into the machine.
    Good nutrition starts at home. i blame the parents that are to busy to practice good nutritional habits with their kids
    Guess I'll trn on music instead...

ccfa.org

http://organicconsumers.com/
  • Options
    Maybe we should, it wouldn't hurt. But I'm speaking of the more dangerous types of over processed junk food with tons of chemicals and added ingredients.

What you mean to say is that it wouldn't hurt you. But it hurts whoever has to pay for the damn labelling. Did you know that Kraft and a lot of companies are now lobbying Congress to increase the labelling requirements in this country so that they'll match the standards elsewhere therefore severely lowering their labelling costs?

Furthermore, who do you think pays the increased costs associated with the labels, the lawsuits, and everything else that stems from this "not my responsibility" mindset?

Do you even consider this stuff when you recommend yet another regulation or law?
    Giving the educational system we currently have, it wouldn't be a bad idea to spell some things out more clearly.

"Dont be eatin on dat b/c it fck u up"...I can see it now ;)
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Sorry to get geeky, but a lot of scientists believe that we are naturally vulnerable to obesity. We are attracted to fatty foods because on an evolutionary basis it was beneficial for us to seek out high concentrations of calories which were hard to come by. However, that was at a point where we were using much more energy and exercising (hunting/gathering/migrating...) so now we are predisposed to fast food etc.

I support additional taxes on fast food and junk food. obesity related problems etc drains the health care system and so it should be discouraged and subsidized by people who are high users/
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The problem here IS NOT labeling. Labeling could have been around 50 years ago, but it didn't matter then, because food portions were smaller and there was less indulgence/gluttony.

And even if there was labeling on a bag of chips, saying that you're going to die if you overconsume, are you really going to read it? People need to stop pointing the finger and make healthy decisions for themselves.

And whatever happened to Health classes in schools? Are they not teaching that anymore??
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I didn't read through this whole thread, so my apologize for restating something that may already have been said.

As it turns out, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. Most exercises such as lifting weights target muscle developement. The amount of energy burned is actually very little. A few months ago I was curious so I pulled up the old Tim Horton's nutrition guide on their website and pulled out my bro's physics book.

According to Tim Horton's there is something like 400 calories in one of their sandwiches. According to the physics book, a fit person lifting 50kg burns about 3 calories per repetition. (I could be wrong on the exact numbers).

That means it would take over 130 reps with that weight to burn off that sandwich. Most people eat more than a sandwich in a day, and well, Tim Horton's is a hell of a lot healthier than McDonald's.

This of course doesn't take into account any nutritional facts. This is simply energy consumed and energy burned. You can see, it wouldn't be realitistic for a person to lift a 50kg weight 500 times a day just to burn off their intake.

Weight Loss is 90% what we eat. Exercise is a factor, however the most effective form of exercise for burning energy and fat is walking/running. I figured out through math that when I walk to work every day I burn off enough calories to account for one coffee from Tim Horton's. I walk two ways, to work and from work and drink 3 coffees, and I eat one or two meals a day. So that explains why I've increased in weight since I stopped working in the warehouse, where I burned a lot of calories all day.

So, eat an apple and grab a baseball bat ;)
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    What you mean to say is that it wouldn't hurt you. But it hurts whoever has to pay for the damn labelling. Did you know that Kraft and a lot of companies are now lobbying Congress to increase the labelling requirements in this country so that they'll match the standards elsewhere therefore severely lowering their labelling costs?

Furthermore, who do you think pays the increased costs associated with the labels, the lawsuits, and everything else that stems from this "not my responsibility" mindset?

Do you even consider this stuff when you recommend yet another regulation or law?

"Dont be eatin on dat b/c it fck u up"...I can see it now ;)

So, in other words, we shouldn't choose to make these companies label goods because their profits are more important than our health as consumers of their products?

I am fully aware that costs would be a factor and was suprised it took you this long. ;) I know that these companies have millions for advertising and new packaging. How about putting it to good use, there is plenty of room on most packaging for this kind of thing.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Jeanwah wrote:
    And whatever happened to Health classes in schools? Are they not teaching that anymore??
    They were a joke way back when, and I doubt that they have gotten any better in the schools of today. The Health class was generally something given to the football coach to teach to warrant his large salary as compared to real teachers.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    So, in other words, we shouldn't choose to make these companies label goods because their profits are more important than our health as consumers of their products?

I am fully aware that costs would be a factor and was suprised it took you this long. ;) I know that these companies have millions for advertising and new packaging. How about putting it to good use, there is plenty of room on most packaging for this kind of thing.
    No, he was saying that they are going to pass the cost onto us, the consumers. Their pocket book is never in danger as long as they can take from ours.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    No, he was saying that they are going to pass the cost onto us, the consumers. Their pocket book is never in danger as long as they can take from ours.

Yes, I know, but how is using a portion of the package for labeling going to be that much more costly?

-Oscar Wilde