Options

Our Food is Killing Us!

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Ahnimus wrote:
    As it turns out, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. Most exercises such as lifting weights target muscle developement. The amount of energy burned is actually very little. A few months ago I was curious so I pulled up the old Tim Horton's nutrition guide on their website and pulled out my bro's physics book...

Weight Loss is 90% what we eat. Exercise is a factor, however the most effective form of exercise for burning energy and fat is walking/running.

Exercise, in combination with eating right, has everything to do with weight loss. You said it yourself! Don't put down weight training, as it increases metabolism, this is a fact. So it does help. But I do agree with you that what we eat has more to do with it. I run 3 times a week, and if I'm trying to lose a couple pounds, running alone does not do it. But if I decrease my portion sizes and food choices, I end up losing the pounds.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    anyone see jamie oliver's thingie ... he pretty much embarassed the british gov't by providing healthy good food at the same price as they were paying for shit ...

anyways - this is related to a pet peeve of mine as it relates to health care ... we spend so much money trying to cure people that we don't spend any money on actually preventing people from getting sick ...
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Exercise, in combination with eating right, has everything to do with weight loss. You said it yourself! Don't put down weight training, as it increases metabolism, this is a fact. So it does help. But I do agree with you that what we eat has more to do with it. I run 3 times a week, and if I'm trying to lose a couple pounds, running alone does not do it. But if I decrease my portion sizes and food choices, I end up losing the pounds.

Yea, sorry, I was saying running/walking is a great way to burn calories and keep the system running smooth. I was putting down weight training because it targets muscle developement. Too many people go to the gym and pump iron expecting to drop some pounds and are dissapointed by the results.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    polaris wrote:
    anyways - this is related to a pet peeve of mine as it relates to health care ... we spend so much money trying to cure people that we don't spend any money on actually preventing people from getting sick ...
    I second this. On a different but similar tangent, I really think that we should also have labels ala Europe about whether our food products are genetically modified.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I second this. On a different but similar tangent, I really think that we should also have labels ala Europe about whether our food products are genetically modified.

Why is that?

Did you know that GE crops account for something like 80% of our food? Without GE crops we would all starve to death?

Still don't like them?

Watch: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7592468947754427068&q=bullshit+food
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Jeanwah wrote:

Exactly. Exercise is as important as diet, at least for some people. That was my earlier point. It depends on your body type.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Yes, I know, but how is using a portion of the package for labeling going to be that much more costly?
    Additional research, legal fees, ink, design costs......etc. basically whatever the marketing people trot out as a good excuse. If you add regulation, they will feed creative ways to prove that they need to pass along some additional costs.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

There is no convicing evidence that genetically modified foods are harmful. Granted, more research studies need to be done, and many that are currently in progress need to be completed.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I was putting down weight training because it targets muscle developement. Too many people go to the gym and pump iron expecting to drop some pounds and are dissapointed by the results.
    That's because people don't realize that weight lifting adds muscle weight...while burning fat at the same time. You're still doing good weight training, you just won't see the results you're looking for at first. They come later with your continued weight routine.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    obesity related problems etc drains the health care system and so it should be discouraged and subsidized by people who are high users/

Perhaps you should get rid of the "health care system" and actually have people subsidize their own health care in the first place? Stop pretending that the problems caused by the "health care system" are not the fault of the "health care system".
  • Options
    Exactly. Exercise is as important as diet, at least for some people. That was my earlier point. It depends on your body type.

I think I might be an ectomorph, but I've always fancied myself and endomorph.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    That's because people don't realize that weight lifting adds muscle weight...while burning fat at the same time. You're still doing good weight training, you just won't see the results you're looking for at first. They come later with your continued weight routine.

Well, according to my research and some very credible sources. Weight lifting is about 1/10th as affective as running/walking when it comes to burning calories.
  • Options
    So, in other words, we shouldn't choose to make these companies label goods because their profits are more important than our health as consumers of their products?

No. Their choices are equally important as your choices. You can't force their hand for your convenience.

I'm not interested in protecting profits. If I was I'd be advocating that people eat McDonalds. I'm interested in protecting choice. If I think I have the right to force McDonalds to do something, how long will it be until McDonalds forces me to do something?
    I am fully aware that costs would be a factor and was suprised it took you this long. ;) I know that these companies have millions for advertising and new packaging. How about putting it to good use, there is plenty of room on most packaging for this kind of thing.

Again, your "good use".
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Then the pesticides get ya! ;)

Duuude, you seriously fucking funny. And god help anyone with their diets after they've seen the parliament buildings in Ottawa....LOL.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I think I might be an ectomorph, but I've always fancied myself and endomorph.

Likewise. I stay skinny ...
  • Options
    Yes, I know, but how is using a portion of the package for labeling going to be that much more costly?

A lot of these products are sold worldwide. Since there are different standards in different nations and even different states/provinces, you now have a situation where you can only order 1,000 packages of one type rather than 1,000,000 packages of one type. This costs companies millions of dollars every year.
  • Options
    Likewise. I stay skinny ...

Oops I got that mixed up, lol.

I'd be either a Mesomorph or an Endomorph.

When I was a kid I was quite thin, in my teenage years I was more muscular and now I'm carrying a few extra pounds. But even when I'd eat garbage fast food all day and never exercise I barely put on any weight, and virtually all of it goes into my gut. I just have to look at my father to see where I'll end up, His gut is about 70% of his total mass.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well, according to my research and some very credible sources. Weight lifting is about 1/10th as affective as running/walking when it comes to burning calories.

I didn't say it was as effective as cardio, I said it helps. And it speeds up your metabolism. Read this...

Low calorie dieting slows your metabolism, making it progressively more difficult to lose weight and keep it off. The failure rate of most diets is astronomical, yet people continue to try one after another, always hoping that each new scheme will provide the solution. If you’re a veteran of the diet wars, the one word answer to your dilemma may be muscle. Let’s take a look at why diets often fail and how strength training and a healthy appetite can rev up your metabolism.

From http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/0698metabolism.htm
  • Options
    There is no convicing evidence that genetically modified foods are harmful. Granted, more research studies need to be done, and many that are currently in progress need to be completed.
    Exactly. There is no evidence that it is completely safe therefore, I do not feel as comfortable eating something that they haven't found to be safe for consumption. There have been studies that have linked hormones and pesticides use and health ailments. For example, I am allergic to any fruit sprayed with pesticide. My throat swells up. not good. There are zero studies on the long term exposure to GM foods.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I didn't say it was as effective as cardio, I said it helps. And it speeds up your metabolism. Read this...

Low calorie dieting slows your metabolism, making it progressively more difficult to lose weight and keep it off. The failure rate of most diets is astronomical, yet people continue to try one after another, always hoping that each new scheme will provide the solution. If you’re a veteran of the diet wars, the one word answer to your dilemma may be muscle. Let’s take a look at why diets often fail and how strength training and a healthy appetite can rev up your metabolism.

From http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/0698metabolism.htm

Yea, you can get info to support any perspective. I do however agree that calories aren't everything and certainly a low calory diet would be bad. Calories are energy and without them, well we couldn't move. But it's the difference between a sandwich 200-400 calories and a whole pie 2000-4000 calories. Even a small slice of pie has more than 500 calories in it. I'm not saying to just eat vitamins and starve the rest of the time. Just saying, the main thing is what we choose to eat, and of course the exercise of choice.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Exactly. There is no evidence that it is completely safe therefore, I do not feel as comfortable eating something that they haven't found to be safe for consumption. There have been studies that have linked hormones and pesticides use and health ailments. For example, I am allergic to any fruit sprayed with pesticide. My throat swells up. not good. There are zero studies on the long term exposure to GM foods.

I would suggest you stop breathing air, because there are so many contaminants in the air. A study in Ontario took regular people with regular diets and habits and tested them for toxicity and they were through the roof. The air we breath is utterly disgusting and full of toxins. I'd say for every breath you take does more damage to your system than a meal of GE crops, assuming GE food does any harm at all.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

Yes, such studies need to be done. It is my understanding that several are in progress as we speak, but, of course, long-term means having to wait a while for the results. I suppose I wouldn't have problems with label warnings so that people can make an informed decision based on their own beliefs and feelings ... One barrier would be what someone else already said. A lot of foods are genetically modified, including most commonly available produce varieties ... Most grains ... Probably many meats as well. Maybe one could stick with organic products (something I already try to do) ... But organic and not genetically modified aren't always the same thing.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I would suggest you stop breathing air, because there are so many contaminants in the air. A study in Ontario took regular people with regular diets and habits and tested them for toxicity and they were through the roof. The air we breath is utterly disgusting and full of toxins. I'd say for every breath you take does more damage to your system than a meal of GE crops, assuming GE food does any harm at all.
    The difference is we cannot make good decisions about the air we breathe but we can make decisions about what we eat. Sooo, I would rather reduce the amount of toxins that enter my system.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    The difference is we cannot make good decisions about the air we breathe but we can make decisions about what we eat. Sooo, I would rather reduce the amount of toxins that enter my system.

Yea, point is though, if we stop growing GE crops about 80% of us would die from starvation.
  • Options
    neoneo Posts: 89
    don't eat the brown acid.......
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Why is that?

Did you know that GE crops account for something like 80% of our food? Without GE crops we would all starve to death?

Still don't like them?

Watch: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7592468947754427068&q=bullshit+food
    This is a myth. We produce more food than we can consume. Wheat is being bought aand burned and milk is wasted regularly just to stabilize prices.

GM Foods can also make us much more resistant to anti-biodics because we are consuming them so regularly, that our body may no longer benefit from them. Ecologically, cross pollination and the creation of superweeds that have escpaed into natural areas have led to the loss of flora and fauna species. we will continue to keep playing catchup as more and more virus's and bacteria will mutate creating new problems and even more chemicals/modifications that are used. Aquifers and the soils have been contaminated with pesticides and antibiodics.

Generally it is a complex situation that has created new problems when problems such as production were never a problem to begin with.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    This is a myth. We produce more food than we can consume. Wheat is being bought aand burned and milk is wasted regularly just to stabilize prices.

GM Foods can also make us much more resistant to anti-biodics because we are consuming them so regularly, that our body may no longer benefit from them. Ecologically, cross pollination and the creation of superweeds that have escpaed into natural areas have led to the loss of flora and fauna species. we will continue to keep playing catchup as more and more virus's and bacteria will mutate creating new problems and even more chemicals/modifications that are used. Aquifers and the soils have been contaminated with pesticides and antibiodics.

Generally it is a complex situation that has created new problems when problems such as production were never a problem to begin with.

Uh, that sounds like a conspiracy theory, and while I normally investigate that kind of thing, I find it difficult to believe that food is being destroyed to keep prices up while people are starving in other countries. You know what kind of asshole it would take to do that? The kind that becomes president of the United States I guess.
  • Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525
    No. The following message has been on a cigarette package for 40 years:

"Caution: Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health"

Is that not the issue here? Health problems? Is that not what these law suits have been about?

Dude..i haven't read through the whole thread yet...(on page 4)..but let me respond at least to some of the things you've said.

first is the cigarette's...
    1. Do you see any list of ingredients on that great label you speak of? There is none my friend. It is one of the very few (if only) products on earth allowed to be sold w/o a list of ingredients on it.
    2. Secondly...It "May"...be hazardous to your health???? It is a proven fact that it is, in virtually every way. To quote chris rock.."Cigarette's are soo dangerous...they'll kill the person next to you".
    -and here you think we've had a great label on there for 40 years- that is laughable.

Second...no...i'm far from a trucker...i've just made plenty of road trips. I myself am very selective of what i eat now. I try to eat very very good and stay in shape. If some of you people honestly believe there to be equal access to both healthy food...and unhealthy food...then you are just plain incorrect. why don't you search to see how many "Whole Foods" store chains and the such there are in relation to the quantity of fast food chains. Also, supermarkets do not offer health food at all for the most part. They sell pre-packaged...nutrient deficient food that has been made in order to have a long shelf life. There may be one aisle in that market that sells you food that won't slowly be killing you.

I do agree w/ the points though about making more of an effort to make yourself good food and bring it w/ you.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Uh, that sounds like a conspiracy theory, and while I normally investigate that kind of thing, I find it difficult to believe that food is being destroyed to keep prices up while people are starving in other countries. You know what kind of asshole it would take to do that? The kind that becomes president of the United States I guess.

Food is being destroyed in your neighbourhood Safeway every night rather than it being given to the homeless guy in the alley. There is an overproduction of food. Starvation is a product of distribution-not production.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Why is that?

Still don't like them?

GE crops don't account for anywhere near 80% of our food. If they did, everyone in Europe and Japan and many other countries would have starved to death by now because they are banned there.

And no, I don't like them. We are serving as guinea pigs for the GM food industry, and we'll find out just how dangerous they are or aren't in about another 20 years. If you want to be a guinea pig, that's your choice, but GM food should absolutely be labeled. It ought to be MY choice whether or not I participate in an experiment.

For those who are concerned, the four major GM crops are soy, wheat, corn and cotton (think cottonseed oil). If you are consuming any of these (and you probably are eating significant quantities of the first three if you eat any packaged food at all) and the packaging doesn't say "organic" or "non-GM," you are almost certainly eating genetically modified food, and no one can tell you what the consequences of that will be. That's not to say that there aren't other gentically modified foods out there, but virtually all non-organic mass-produced products containing soy, wheat, corn or cotton contain them.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/Home/index.cfm
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963