Options

Ken Lay

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
dead
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Enron founder Ken Lay dies
    64-year-old former energy executive dead.
    July 5 2006: 10:06 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Enron founder Kenneth Lay died early Wednesday in Aspen, a family spokeswoman said. He was 64.

In a statement, spokeswoman Kelly Kimberly said, "The Lays have a very large family with whom they need to communicate, and out of respect for the family we will release further details at a later time."

In May, Lay was found guilty of nine counts of fraud and conspiracy related to the collapse of Enron, the company he founded that grew into the seventh largest company before it imploded after an accounting scandal.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/news/newsmakers/lay_death/index.htm?cnn=yes
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Just another chapter in the most ridiculous story ever told.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Another example of, "if you are going to fuck people around, make sure you don't have a conscience", they always catch up to you.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Another example of, "if you are going to fuck people around, make sure you don't have a conscience", they always catch up to you.

Do you apply this example to Enron's customers, shareholders and employees, or are they just "victims"?
  • Options
    Do you apply this example to Enron's customers, shareholders and employees, or are they just "victims"?

Did they screw somebody around, like Lay?
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Did they screw somebody around, like Lay?

Certainly. They participated directly in the "screwing", so to speak. They funded it, sold it, participated in it, depended on it.
  • Options
    Certainly. They participated directly in the "screwing", so to speak. They funded it, sold it, participated in it, depended on it.

Why the need for stocks then? Seems to happen all the time. We all remember the good old days when the rich sucked everybody in and then watched, oh wait..............it still goes on today.

Anyhow back to the conscience catching up with you. Looks like it did wonders for Lay.

If you dabble in the stock market that is a problem. Knowing you are shafting the people making you richer is a bigger problem. Letting them get away with it is a huge problem.

I guess Lay must have thought about what real prison was going to be instead of the usual country club setting he thought he may get. Enough to explode a young honest heart better yet a ruthless heart.
  • Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861

what story did you hear? because the story I heard was that the employees were basically investing in the company for their retirement because Lay and his henchmen were telling them that everything was going great when it fact, it was not. so when everything went under, many of the employees lost everything they had. so no, I don't think the normal employees were "screwing" anybody as much as they were the ones being screwed.
  • Options
    MLC2006 wrote:
    what story did you hear? because the story I heard was that the employees were basically investing in the company for their retirement because Lay and his henchmen were telling them that everything was going great when it fact, it was not. so when everything went under,

Yet this continues in corporations throughout America. Furthermore, not a single penny was forced to be invested. Each employee had the complete choice on where to invest their savings. Many Enron employees wisely chose a diversified strategy rather than investing everything based on the opinion of a non-neutral party.
    many of the employees lost everything they had. so no, I don't think the normal employees were "screwing" anybody as much as they were the ones being screwed.

They were both screwing and screwed. Every Enron investor that lost "everything they had" did so based on their choice, not the choices of other fools like Lay and Skilling.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Every dime of his estate should be given to the people he defrauded.

But basically, unless it's given to you free....never never never never rely completely on your own companies stock for your retirement. It's a retarded way to invest.

Spread out and diversify. You can keep some company stock if you have a good steady company, but if they start making reckless moves (Enron, MIRANT) GET OUT NOW!!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Why the need for stocks then? Seems to happen all the time. We all remember the good old days when the rich sucked everybody in and then watched, oh wait..............it still goes on today.

Anyhow back to the conscience catching up with you. Looks like it did wonders for Lay.

If you dabble in the stock market that is a problem. Knowing you are shafting the people making you richer is a bigger problem. Letting them get away with it is a huge problem.

I guess Lay must have thought about what real prison was going to be instead of the usual country club setting he thought he may get. Enough to explode a young honest heart better yet a ruthless heart.

Certainly Lay is guilty of being a liar and being a crooked businessman. I'm not defending Ken Lay.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Anyone think he may have done himself in? probably a choice that coward would make
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Anyone think he may have done himself in? probably a choice that coward would make

Anypne think he is still alive? He had some powerful friends you know, and he was supposed to be doing jail time. Maybe he faked his death to get out of the country.

Sorry, I like to make up conspiracy theories every now and then.
    Show me potato salald!!!
  • Options
    Anypne think he is still alive? He had some powerful friends you know, and he was supposed to be doing jail time. Maybe he faked his death to get out of the country.

Yeah, he's hanging out with Hunter Thompson somewhere now too.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    They were both screwing and screwed. Every Enron investor that lost "everything they had" did so based on their choice, not the choices of other fools like Lay and Skilling.

um no, they weren't screwing anybody if they didn't know they themselves were being screwed. of course no one forced them to invest, but if you invest, all the truthful information should be out on the table for it to be legal. this is why they were screwed, and why there were lawsuits. if Lay, et al weren't defrauding the normal Enron workers, they wouldn't have been investing in the company.
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Dear Kenneth Lay,

I hope you're in Hell. You got off too easy.

Love,
    A former Arthur Andersen employee
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I just read this...
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252

I'm with you on this one. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist but that just seems too strange. Too suspicious. What in the hell was he doing at his vacation home in Aspen? They could have had his ass scrubbing toilets in prison somewhere. Its just too hard for me to believe.
  • Options
    MLC2006 wrote:
    um no, they weren't screwing anybody if they didn't know they themselves were being screwed.

So someone being "screwed" is incapable of "screwing" another?
    of course no one forced them to invest, but if you invest, all the truthful information should be out on the table for it to be legal.

Ok. But that wasn't the rule then and it's not the rule now. How about something a little wiser: if you don't have access to all the information, don't invest.
    this is why they were screwed, and why there were lawsuits. if Lay, et al weren't defrauding the normal Enron workers, they wouldn't have been investing in the company.

If the normal Enron worker would have followed the simple standard I named above, they wouldn't have been investing in the company (nor would any of the other investors).

The people who invested their funds with Enron were guilty of the same vague crime so many on the left constantly decry: greed. Greed is the lust for money in the absence of reason. Lay, Skilling, Fortune Magazine, Arthur Andersen, many of Enron's employees....all victims of their own greed.
  • Options
    I came on here to see what the train would have to say about the death of someone they disliked, expecting to see some hate.

You did not disappoint.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Enron founder Ken Lay dies
    64-year-old former energy executive dead.
    July 5 2006: 10:06 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Enron founder Kenneth Lay died early Wednesday in Aspen, a family spokeswoman said. He was 64.

In a statement, spokeswoman Kelly Kimberly said, "The Lays have a very large family with whom they need to communicate, and out of respect for the family we will release further details at a later time."

In May, Lay was found guilty of nine counts of fraud and conspiracy related to the collapse of Enron, the company he founded that grew into the seventh largest company before it imploded after an accounting scandal.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/news/newsmakers/lay_death/index.htm?cnn=yes

how convienent he dies and gets off easy

or

can you smell something fishy?
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    So someone being "screwed" is incapable of "screwing" another?

Ok. But that wasn't the rule then and it's not the rule now. How about something a little wiser: if you don't have access to all the information, don't invest.

If the normal Enron worker would have followed the simple standard I named above, they wouldn't have been investing in the company (nor would any of the other investors).

The people who invested their funds with Enron were guilty of the same vague crime so many on the left constantly decry: greed. Greed is the lust for money in the absence of reason. Lay, Skilling, Fortune Magazine, Arthur Andersen, many of Enron's employees....all victims of their own greed.

um...are you arguing theory or facts....?

It was my understanding that stocks may be purchased to make a profit to help fund a persons retirement...

am I and others guilty of greed...?

I broke this response down save you time, so you don't have to split it up yourself...;)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    another life wasted
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    inmytree wrote:
    I broke this response down save you time, so you don't have to split it up yourself...;)

LMAO !!
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I feel sorry for his friends and family, but I definetly will not loose any sleep over his passing.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options

you have never heard of anti-trust laws? it most certainly is the rule that publicly owned companies can't deceive their shareholders as a means of keeping the money rolling in, only to have the higher ups sellout and leave everyone else to lose it all. your arguments aren't even making sense. how could the workers "research" to know whether or not to invest when Lay was purposefully keeping the info that the company was failing secret?
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Suicide.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    um...are you arguing theory or facts....?

Both.
    It was my understanding that stocks may be purchased to make a profit to help fund a persons retirement...

Certainly! Stocks may also be purchased to fail miserably and wipe out a person's retirement.
    am I and others guilty of greed...?

If you sacrifice reason for money, yes.

Ok.
  • Options
    MLC2006 wrote:
    you have never heard of anti-trust laws? it most certainly is the rule that publicly owned companies can't deceive their shareholders as a means of keeping the money rolling in, only to have the higher ups sellout and leave everyone else to lose it all. your arguments aren't even making sense.

I have heard of anti-trust laws, thanks.
    how could the workers "research" to know whether or not to invest when Lay was purposefully keeping the info that the company was failing secret?

The same way anyone researches anything...by asking questions rather than avoiding them.
  • Options
    I have heard of anti-trust laws, thanks.

The same way anyone researches anything...by asking questions rather than avoiding them.

lmao, the argument appears to be very much over your head, so no use to go on. the Enron workers were defrauded by the Enron elite. period, nothing more to discuss.