Fox News

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited February 2019
    I don't get why people expect news networks that heavily feature talking heads/pundits/opinion segments to be unbiased all the time. I mean, CNN and MSNBC do indeed report facts. They don't make shit up or put insane spins on stories to make them mean something untrue, like FOX does. But of course there is going to be bias, since these networks don't have the kind of format that makes it just straight up reporting of the facts and that's it. If you want that kind of news, stick to the AP releases and Reuters and shit. If you're choosing to watch news networks, you're choosing to watch editorials and personalized interpretations of the news by many players (many of whom are openly biased, and presented as such), as well as the reporting of news itself.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    edited February 2019
    What I like about MSNBC is that their talking heads include a lot of attorneys and former Federal Prosecutors, former FBI and CIA senior staff and they provide lots of background and analysis. I find them to be careful about saying what's possible and speculation and what is definitely known. It's educational and we can decide what we think. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
     If you're choosing to watch news networks, you're choosing to watch editorials and personalized interpretations of the news by many players (many of whom are openly biased, and presented as such), as well as the reporting of news itself.
    This is exactly right. The Sean Hannity/Rachel Maddow-type of shows are NOT news shows. They're totally opinion-based. There are a few shows that actually do report news, but the 8pm-11pm shows on Fox News and MSNBC do not. Unfortunately, the majority of the viewers of these shows are unaware of this. Going back to the migrate caravan, the only news there is to report on it is that it exists, and here's how many people the caravan contains. That's it. When Hannity calls it an invasion, it's his opinion. When Maddow says they're people in need of help, that's her opinion. The viewer needs to come up with an opinion of his or her own rather than just accepting the opinions of these talking-heads. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Kat said:
    What I like about MSNBC is that their talking heads include a lot of attorneys and former Federal Prosecutors, former FBI and CIA senior staff and they provide lots of background and analysis. I find them to be careful about saying what's possible and speculation and what is definitely known. It's educational and we can decide what we think. 
    Agreed.
    I feel like MSNBC gets a worse rap than it deserves because, well, deep dives into the truth usually serve the left way better than they serve the right. I can't imagine anyone can come up with a good argument against that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Agreed.
    I feel like MSNBC gets a worse rap than it deserves because, well, deep dives into the truth usually serve the left way better than they serve the right. I can't imagine anyone can come up with a good argument against that.
    You can’t imagine anyone coming up with a good argument against “deep dives into the truth usually serve the left better...” Really?

I mean a statement like would say to me that you aren’t exactly able to see the bias and halftruths a station like MSNBC is presenting. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    MSNBC absolutely has a left leaning bias, and to ignore that is to ignore reality. CNN is quite mainstream. Fox and MSNBC are cheerleaders for their base. MSNBC does use more fact and I trust them more than Fox, but let's be real.
    I think Media Bias Chart is pretty accurate:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    MSNBC absolutely has a left leaning bias, and to ignore that is to ignore reality. CNN is quite mainstream. Fox and MSNBC are cheerleaders for their base. MSNBC does use more fact and I trust them more than Fox, but let's be real.

That’s a pretty cool chart 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:

I like the chart, and the author talks about the methodology and data used to to create it. It may need a tweak here or there, but in general I find it pretty accurate.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

I like the chart, and the author talks about the methodology and data used to to create it. It may need a tweak here or there, but in general I find it pretty accurate.
    Sure, I’m guess not everyone would agree on any methodology. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Agreed.
    You can’t imagine anyone coming up with a good argument against “deep dives into the truth usually serve the left better...” Really?

I mean a statement like would say to me that you aren’t exactly able to see the bias and halftruths a station like MSNBC is presenting. 
    I am very able to see biases where they exist. I'm not saying there are none on MSNBC - I thought that was made clear by my previous post. But yes, the truth serves the left more than it does the right now. Really. I feel like if one looks at things objectively that is the conclusion they'd have to come to. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

I’d like to understand why CNN is in the orange rectangle and MSNBC is in the yellow. Cause I’d have flipped those based on my reading and watching (but they obviously have more data).
    hippiemom = goodness
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    The channel of fear, hate, ignorance, lies, racism, and xenophobia .....

'Fox & Friends' Tries to Blame Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Fatal Subway Shooting. https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-and-friends-tries-to-blame-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-for-fatal-subway-shootin?source=articles&via=rss

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    PJ_Soul said:
     If you're choosing to watch news networks, you're choosing to watch editorials and personalized interpretations of the news by many players (many of whom are openly biased, and presented as such), as well as the reporting of news itself.
    This is exactly right. The Sean Hannity/Rachel Maddow-type of shows are NOT news shows. They're totally opinion-based. There are a few shows that actually do report news, but the 8pm-11pm shows on Fox News and MSNBC do not. Unfortunately, the majority of the viewers of these shows are unaware of this. Going back to the migrate caravan, the only news there is to report on it is that it exists, and here's how many people the caravan contains. That's it. When Hannity calls it an invasion, it's his opinion. When Maddow says they're people in need of help, that's her opinion. The viewer needs to come up with an opinion of his or her own rather than just accepting the opinions of these talking-heads. 
    Maddow and Hannity are not comparable.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maddow is absolutely biased but there is no comparison between her and Hannity. Hannity is an unpaid advisor to the president. He's admitted as much. The president live tweets and promotes his shows. They both share a lawyer who is going to prison next month.

One show is biased, yes. The other is essentially an infomercial for the president. No comparison. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2019
    jeffbr said:

This chart and that website is pretty great. I love analyzing things like this. Gonna take a deeper dive when I have more time. But at a quick glance into their sub charts, it proves my point regarding Hannity and Maddow. 

It has Maddow's show in the middle of the "skews left/hyper partisan" and "complex analysis/fact reporting and anaylsis" sections. 

Meanwhile Hannity is in the "most extreme right" and "damaging to public discourse" sections. 

All of the prime time Fox shows are in that lower right part, while the MSNBC primetime shows are mostly in the middle left sections.

Clear Bias verses Damaging to Public Discourse. Those shows are NOT the same.

I should mention that Chris Wallace, Shepard Smith, and to a lesser extend Brent Baer are all very good at their jobs. Cavuto too. Biased to the right, but they're not feeding their viewers garbage every day/night like the primetime Fox folks are. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i think most of us are intelligent enough to watch a news network and be able to separate fact from biased opinion. the only time i really ever watch cnn, is on my lunch hour, which coincides with brooke burke. every goddamn story is BREAKING NEWS. every time they have pundits on to discuss trump, it is inevitably a 3 or 4 person panel, and it is rare for any one of those 3 or 4 to be a dissenting opinion. they do it sometimes, but mostly not (that i've seen). sometimes they give real non-partisan insight, sometimes it's just completely biased garbage. it's easily discernible. 

but, every single time i watched msnbc, and i haven't in a long time, but when i used to, it was fucking crocodile tears after outrage after bloody outrage. it was unbearable to watch. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i think most of us are intelligent enough to watch a news network and be able to separate fact from biased opinion. the only time i really ever watch cnn, is on my lunch hour, which coincides with brooke burke. every goddamn story is BREAKING NEWS. every time they have pundits on to discuss trump, it is inevitably a 3 or 4 person panel, and it is rare for any one of those 3 or 4 to be a dissenting opinion. they do it sometimes, but mostly not (that i've seen). sometimes they give real non-partisan insight, sometimes it's just completely biased garbage. it's easily discernible. 

but, every single time i watched msnbc, and i haven't in a long time, but when i used to, it was fucking crocodile tears after outrage after bloody outrage. it was unbearable to watch. 
    Regarding CNN, are you complaining about a panel having bias? That’s usually why they have panels so they can have people on either side of the story explain their point of view....

CNN goes overboard with the panels, that’s for sure. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    This is the fear, hate, ignorance,  lies, racism, and xenophobia  network
    ^
    He was in the running to head the VA last year too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Racist news for racists presenting more ignorant racist shite...

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited February 2019
    These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

You only have the illusion of choice...

Mainstream media is a joke.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

You only have the illusion of choice...

Mainstream media is a joke.
    but, but, but I'm so informed because I watch the news!!!

Lol

Wake up 
    A must read detailing the deep connections between focksnooze and the currently elected president. 
    It's long but worthwhile...

The Making of the Fox News White HouseFox News has always been partisan. But has it become propaganda?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/the-making-of-the-fox-news-white-house
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,411
    A must read detailing the deep connections between focksnooze and the currently elected president. 
    It's long but worthwhile...

The Making of the Fox News White HouseFox News has always been partisan. But has it become propaganda?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/the-making-of-the-fox-news-white-house
    I look forward to Sean Hannity testifying before Congress. 

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Regarding CNN, are you complaining about a panel having bias? That’s usually why they have panels so they can have people on either side of the story explain their point of view....

of course panel will have bias, I'm saying that CNN stacks the panel very liberal heavy, if they have any conservatives in the panel at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,411

of course panel will have bias, I'm saying that CNN stacks the panel very liberal heavy, if they have any conservatives in the panel at all. 
    CNN panels regularly have repubs or conservatives on them. Regulars include Rick Sanitarium, Steve someone or other, former campaign chairman, Kellyanne CONway and others. It’s hilarious watching them justify Team Trump Treason. The latest is that because he lies, we shouldn’t expect anything more from him, as it relates to porn star payoffs.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    jeffbr said:

This chart and that website is pretty great. I love analyzing things like this. Gonna take a deeper dive when I have more time. But at a quick glance into their sub charts, it proves my point regarding Hannity and Maddow. 

It has Maddow's show in the middle of the "skews left/hyper partisan" and "complex analysis/fact reporting and anaylsis" sections. 

Meanwhile Hannity is in the "most extreme right" and "damaging to public discourse" sections. 

All of the prime time Fox shows are in that lower right part, while the MSNBC primetime shows are mostly in the middle left sections.

Clear Bias verses Damaging to Public Discourse. Those shows are NOT the same.

I should mention that Chris Wallace, Shepard Smith, and to a lesser extend Brent Baer are all very good at their jobs. Cavuto too. Biased to the right, but they're not feeding their viewers garbage every day/night like the primetime Fox folks are. 

I'm a little late to the party but want to point out the Fox newsmen you cite are better, but there is significant bias at fox even for these news people.

Let's not forget it was Bret Baier who reported the completely false Hillary imminent indictment story five days before the election. A fact that is almost completely forgotten but may have been the last straw with enough voters to turn the outcome

There's is just no comparable to this on the left.

Also today it's being reported that fox had the story that Trump bribed Stormy right before the election but Rupert buried it. Again, there just is no comparable on the left to this level of bias

Also, progressives will tell you that cnn and msnbc are supportive of only establishment democrats, not the progressive wing of the party.

Bernie dealt with some bias at his cnn town hall last week:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/27/cnn-didnt-disclose-democratic-party-ties-of-questioners-in-sanders-town-hall/

CNN panels regularly have repubs or conservatives on them. Regulars include Rick Sanitarium, Steve someone or other, former campaign chairman, Kellyanne CONway and others. It’s hilarious watching them justify Team Trump Treason. The latest is that because he lies, we shouldn’t expect anything more from him, as it relates to porn star payoffs.
    maybe they do. I guess just not when I have watched (afternoons with BB). Cuomo regularly spars with conservatives, yes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD