Options

Is it worth it to see ed solo?

pipes5977pipes5977 Rhode Island Posts: 323
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I live in Rhode Island and just started a new job. It would be a dream to see Ed solo. I just dont know if its worth it financially. I could only attend a saturday show and then have to fly home on Sunday so im home for work on that monday. What are some of your opions? Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I am with you on this one....
    I can only go to a Sat show due to work stuff and have been kicking it around.
    The thought of an Ed only show initially dosen't fire me up but.... he has never done anything like this before and if some of the rumors are true, the rest of the band may be there.
    Therefore, I am only kidding myself in questioning if I will try and get tickets... HELL YEAH ITS WORTH IT
  • Options
    It's definitely worth it!

Short-term, spending the money might make things difficult and the traveling might be a pain, but long-term you'll look back and all you will remember is that you saw an amazing show!

The last two years, i've spent my entire term student loan to afford tickets and flights to shows, and it left me so poor at the time. All i remember now is the magic i witnessed. :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    it's such an individual thing really, if this tour was reversed and it was ed playing on the east coast, i'd pass on it....i'd travel cross country for a full on PJ show though. then you have all the rumors about more shows and such, but who can tell? just whatever matters most to ya!

seeing as i'm on the west coast i'm all over this thing like white on rice of course lol if you can swing it financially and have the vacation time and such, go for it! california is beautiful (of course i'm biased :D ) good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Is it worth it to breathe?
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    it's such an individual thing really, if this tour was reversed and it was ed playing on the east coast, i'd pass on it....i'd travel cross country for a full on PJ show though. then you have all the rumors about more shows and such, but who can tell? just whatever matters most to ya!

seeing as i'm on the west coast i'm all over this thing like white on rice of course lol if you can swing it financially and have the vacation time and such, go for it! california is beautiful (of course i'm biased :D ) good luck with whatever you decide!

exactly. :)

i am passing for numerous reasons...other coast....tax season!.....save $$$ for other, hopeful, shows.........BUT.....i would go if i were on the west coast...if it happened on the east coast, etc. it IS soooo individual. i think it would be VERY cool to see ed, just ed....what that may be....and so intimate. why not? :p if you want it, can swing it....go for it! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    i wouldnt be seeing him if he was playing anywhere but seattle or vancouver.. i would wait for the band if i were you.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641
    It's going to be different from a PJ show, I think more mellow overall. But I'm into seeing the side 'projects' of all the guys in the band, just to know them each a little more individually and understand what they contribute to the whole.
  • Options
    pipes5977 wrote:
    I live in Rhode Island and just started a new job. It would be a dream to see Ed solo. I just dont know if its worth it financially. I could only attend a saturday show and then have to fly home on Sunday so im home for work on that monday. What are some of your opions? Thanks

If you have to ask, then you don't deserve the tickets. That's like asking if it's worth it to see God without St. Peter there?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    URthekey wrote:
    It's going to be different from a PJ show, I think more mellow overall. But I'm into seeing the side 'projects' of all the guys in the band, just to know them each a little more individually and understand what they contribute to the whole.

I share your inerest there

And... well get to see him clean shaven, right? ;)
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    If this whole thing was reversed and Ed was playing in New York City or something (I am in LA), I would not spend the time/money (it would probably cost me around $300-$450 for travel/lodging/spending cash) to fly out for one of these shows. Overall, not worth it. I would probably be very jealous for a while, but in the end it would pass and the next Pearl Jam tour would come around to make me forget about it. BUT, since the Wiltern is only 10 minutes from my house...hell yeah I'm going (if I get tickets).
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    I'm passing on it because I have no damn money after Bonnaroo and the fact that my ten club number is in the billions so it would probably be a challenge just to get them.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    5432154321 Posts: 11
    nah
  • Options
    it isnt going by tenclub #

http://seattlest.com/2008/02/15/short_solo_tour.php

but yeah! Do the Moore Eddie!
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    this isn't even a west coast tour it is a Cali tour
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    pipes5977 wrote:
    wait for a FULL show or wait til he FLOWS thru your town.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

thats what IM sayin'! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Is it worth it to see Ed if you have to pay $400 - $1000 for a seat? I could have a beach access put in (in my community) for that kind of dough...Maybe even two....or help out with the new dog park our community is building...

Or maybe I could buy the SUPB I want so badly....

Either way, I'd feel guilty -- but more so for the Ed ticket. I'm hopeful that he'd understand...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    If you can get a cheap flight and maybe shack with other PJ folks or friends go for it. What about a red eye flight?
  • Options
    jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    IMO go for it...you only live once!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    try being on the other side of the world

personally i think seeing ed perform his own solo songs is far too wonderful an opportunity to miss out on - you really cant imagine how jealous fans are who have no option of getting on a plane and flying around the world

if i were in your shoes id be scraping up the cash and calling in sick on monday - or actually i probably wouldn't need to, id be still so high from what id just heard and witnessed.
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    If I was living in the US and ifI could go for let's say less than $800 or $1000 (including flight ticket, etc.) then I'd go, without any doubt.
    From here (Europe) I'm obliged to take a few days off (and I don't have much), buy an expensive ticket, etc. So, I have to decline this time...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    This is a debate I have with myself daily. Flying from Philly to SD, for both SD shows and i am already up over $500 for flight, 2 shows, car rental, hotel etc. Actually, that's not bad, but I am only there for 3 nights and still have to eat.
    It will be worth it as it will be a spiritual journey, seeing ed perform solo. If he winds up playing later in Philly or South Jersey, then I am going to kick myself and apologize to my wife a 1000 times for spending so much and leaving her with the kids by herself for so long when Ed wound up playing right here. So part of me really hopes he doesnt come East just to justify my actions of heading to Cali
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    This is a debate I have with myself daily. Flying from Philly to SD, for both SD shows and i am already up over $500 for flight, 2 shows, car rental, hotel etc. Actually, that's not bad, but I am only there for 3 nights and still have to eat.
    It will be worth it as it will be a spiritual journey, seeing ed perform solo. If he winds up playing later in Philly or South Jersey, then I am going to kick myself and apologize to my wife a 1000 times for spending so much and leaving her with the kids by herself for so long when Ed wound up playing right here. So part of me really hopes he doesnt come East just to justify my actions of heading to Cali

Agreed :) I'm in the same boat. Never been to the west coast before, but I think its totally worth it.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Believe me, Ed will not let us down... I just pray to god Jack Johnson shows up in LA or SD... I can't believe I totally forgot to get tickets to Jack at Red Rocks because I was watching 7 episodes of lost in a row...
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I've got a friend coming in from Boston and another coming from D.C.

Both are staying for free at my house. Both got flights between $250. and $350.

We will probably eat out a lot so that will be pricey. The guy from Boston is turning it into a regular vacation. 5 days. We will probably hit S.D. for the day, and check out the area around here. Perhaps we might do Sea World or the like.

So his trip can be justified by more than the tickets he is paying for to see PJ twice. (still trying to work this all out by the way)

My other friend got 10C for both LA shows. He is riding in on Sat Morning and leaving Sunday. The proverbial whirlwind tour.

Everyone is different. PJ is his hobby and Eddie is his #1 guy. He flew in for Hullabaloo. That was expensive. Would I fly to Philly. No.

But I have a family and these two guys are single and with a girlfriend respectively.

So each person has to evaluate for themselves. If we were all rich then hell yes. I would fly to New Zealand to see Eddie solo, but I would stay for 2 weeks and see the country.

If I'm poor and have a family I can't even justify going to SB and SD along with the two LA shows.

That seems to be my case right now.

These are questions that can only be answered by the individual and their financial, time off, travel minded situations.

Peace.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    You best come out to Cali... and you have a cool wife, she'll understand why you are heading west!
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Nope.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    Believe me, Ed will not let us down... I just pray to god Jack Johnson shows up in LA or SD... I can't believe I totally forgot to get tickets to Jack at Red Rocks because I was watching 7 episodes of lost in a row...

no way. if i wanted to get put to sleep, I would just put on nascar. Jack Johnson = BORING!!
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    You best come out to Cali... and you have a cool wife, she'll understand why you are heading west!

its all her fault (not stone's). it was her who said for me to go for it and see if i got tix during the presale etc. ofcourse when they added the 2nd SD show, and I caught a bolt of lightening and got tix for that show too, she wasnt pleased
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've never understood the diehard obsession of seeing anybody play live. If you've got the money and you want to go, then go. If it interferes with anything or could be too expensive, then just don't go. There are more important things.