Options

Senator wants to be sworn in on the Quran. Unamarican?

darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
edited January 2007 in A Moving Train
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-12-01-muslim-lawmaker_x.htm

Newly elected Muslim lawmaker under fire
Posted 12/1/2006 6:58 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

Enlarge By Tim Dillon, USA TODAY

Minnesota Democrat Keith Ellison has caused a stir after choosing to take his oath of office with his hand on a Quran.

By Andrea Stone, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The first Muslim elected to Congress hasn't been sworn into office yet, but his act of allegiance has already been criticized by a conservative commentator.
In a column posted Tuesday on the conservative website Townhall.com, Dennis Prager blasted Minnesota Democrat Keith Ellison's decision to take the oath of office Jan. 4 with his hand on a Quran, the Muslim holy book.

"He should not be allowed to do so," Prager wrote, "not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American culture."

He said Ellison, a convert from Catholicism, should swear on a Christian Bible — which "America holds as its holiest book. … If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

The post generated nearly 800 comments on Townhall.com and sparked a tempest in the conservative blogosphere. Many who posted comments called the United States a Christian country and said Muslims are beginning to gain too much influence. Others wrote about the separation of church and state and said the Constitution protects all religions.

Dave Colling, Ellison's spokesman, said he was unavailable for comment. Earlier, Ellison told the online Minnesota Monitor, "The Constitution guarantees for everyone to take the oath of office on whichever book they prefer. And that's what the freedom of religion is all about."

Colling said Ellison's office has received hundreds of "very bigoted and racist" e-mails and phone calls since Prager's column appeared. "The vast majority said, 'You should resign from office if you're not willing to use the book our country was founded on,' " Colling said.

"Requiring somebody to take an oath of office on a religious text that's not his" violates the Constitution, said Kevin Hasson, president of The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty.

Members of the House of Representatives traditionally raise their right hands and are sworn in together on the floor of the chamber. The ritual sometimes seen as the swearing-in is actually a ceremonial photo op with the speaker of the House that usually involves a Bible.

"They can bring in whatever they want," says Fred Beuttler, deputy historian of the House.

Prager, who is Jewish, wrote that no Mormon elected official has "demanded to put his hand on the Book of Mormon." But Republican Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon, carried a volume of Mormon scriptures that included the Bible and the Book of Mormon at his swearing-in ceremony in 1997.

Prager, who hosts a radio talk show, could not be reached for comment.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is ridiculous. If the guy wants to place his hand on the Koran or Bible. He should be able to do whatever he prefers.
  • Options
    the whole act of swearing on the bible or any other holy book is a degradation of those books. they should just not do it. Swear an oath to the country and its people. that should be enough.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    "He should not be allowed to do so," Prager wrote, "not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American culture."

He said Ellison, a convert from Catholicism, should swear on a Christian Bible — which "America holds as its holiest book. … If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."
    That is the most unAmerican thing I think I've ever heard.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    whew.. I was scared people would think there was something wrong with this.. so far I am encouraged
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    whew.. I was scared people would think there was something wrong with this.. so far I am encouraged
    "They" haven't read this yet. Just wait.
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    They should be made to cross their hearts and hope to die. That'd clean out a bit of trash!!
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Free Country, no official recognised religion.

A) it's not really news worthy

B) that's the whole point of freedom of religion.

America has no holiest book even if 85% of individuals hold the bible as theirs.

To deny one to swear on his holiest book because it is not the bible would be far more unamerican.

I don't really know that it has to be done to begin with, it's all ceremonious.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    with all this corruption and such going on it seems swearing on any holy book isn't working very well. maybe they need to be tagged or something and if they tell a lie they get a huge electric shock lol
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Why shouldnt he use the Quran if that is his religion? This is a nonstory that will be used to piss off the Christian right as if he is taking away their rights, etc... Hopefully it will just be this one asshole who makes a big deal out of this.
  • Options
    exactly!!!!!
    icarus wrote:
    this is completely ridiculous. first of all this country wasnt founded on the bible. this country was founded to escape religious persecution.

what would be the point of making him swear on the bible if the bible doesnt mean anything to him? wouldnt it make a lot more sense to make him swear on a book that he actually abides by?

i love it when people say stuff is unamerican but their very attitude is whats unamerican.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    "They" haven't read this yet. Just wait.

Easy buddy. By "they" I'm sure you are refering to the small contingent of conservatives on this board, which I proudly consider myself. This should be one issue where both left and right agree.

I don't even think they should use a religious doctrine when swearing in a government representitive. They should use a copy of the constitution. That is what they are swearing to uphold.
  • Options
    Easy buddy. By "they" I'm sure you are refering to the small contingent of conservatives on this board, which I proudly consider myself. This should be one issue where both left and right agree.
    I agree. But every time I think this about an issue similar to this somebody comes out and agrees with the topic. I would hope everybody would think this is bullshit but I've been proven wrong too many times. :)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    If he's Muslim, I'd rather have him swear on the Koran than the bible as it would mean more to him personally.

That being said, I'm not really sure they should be using religious documents in the swearing-in process.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    darkcrow wrote:

This honestly makes me sick to my stomach. How does this undermine American culture?? If anything, his swearing on a Quran should be symbolic of America's "tolerance" for people of all religions.

"America's holiest book" - America shouldn't have holy books! Its supposed to be a fucking secular country! What happened to a seperation of church and state?

And what is the point of swearing on something you don't believe in? It makes the swearing totally meaningless!

Fuck.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen here. I'm going to hope that this Prager guy is the only one idiotic enough to hold these opinions.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    know1 wrote:

That being said, I'm not really sure they should be using religious documents in the swearing-in process.

Exactly. There is no reason to use any book, and that whole tradition should disappear. Also, the placing-the-hand-on-a-bible-swearing-in is ceremonial. The official one is a mass swearing-in, and nobody touches any book.

I'm glad we don't hear much from Prager on these boards. He's a real nutcase.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rybesrybes Posts: 136
    know1 wrote:
    If he's Muslim, I'd rather have him swear on the Koran than the bible as it would mean more to him personally.

Well put, especially the first part, couldnt agree more!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen here. I'm going to hope that this Prager guy is the only one idiotic enough to hold these opinions.
    Oh, how I wish it were so. A sampling of the many supportive responses to his article:

"So you would not mind a Satan worshiper swearing by the Satanic Bible or a what if a politician wants to swear on JRR Tolkins Lords of the Rings or Mao's little red book ~ no ? why not ? and despite the wish of the first two liberals who think that it is outdated and provicial I say "so what" who cares what you want ! I want it the way it is and will lobby to have it stay ~ by the way if they had asked O.J. to swear to tell the truth the whole so help him L. Ron Hubbard would you have said "hey thats not right"? or would you have said its his right to swear on any ol book he like its none of my business how he shows that he will follow the rules laid down to assertain someones sincerity?"

"You said everything I wanted to say. I had this suspicion that when Ellis got elected soon after we would hear something about his trying to change something more to his Muslim liking. I worried when he was running that this was the Muslims first step inside the Big door. Now they have one of their own within our government. His campaign was also financed by Islamic terrorist organizations."

"Pledging an oath to elected office by swearing to it with your hand on the bible is one of the traditions of this country. If you can't find it in yourself to complete this simple symbolic act, don't run for office. I too am tired of the bs multicultural hubris exemplified by Ellison's intentions. I live in California and I am frankly tired of my election ballots being printed in 6 different languages."

"IT'S STARTING!!!! I've been saying this over and over but hear goes again: Louis "Calypso Boy" Farakhan said and I quote: "A Muslim is a Muslim, there is no such thing and there never will be American Muslims or Muslim Americans, just as there are no French Muslims or Muslim French just as there are no British or German Muslims, it's either you're a Muslim or you're not".
    So Mr. Ellison being a Muslim living in America will not conform-What we do next and how this needs to be dealt with is extremely critical."

"Karl, I read that Ellison was involved with Gangs. Whether his wife claims to be a Christian or not, that does not make him moderate or saved. If he is a Muslim, then she is unequally yoked as the Bible warns against. Ellison must not be allowed to change the book of swearing in or we open a door. Lets See, Larry Flynt gets elected swearing in on Hustler, or one of the Enron Executives get elected and swears in on the SEC Rules book. This is absolute Horse Poop!"

"I don't care if he swears on a Bible or not, (its traditional only, and not a law) but he should not swear on the Koran, a book that advocates the violent spreading of Islam."

"If, Keith Ellison, the muslim, little "m", refuses to take an oath on the Bible, large "B", then he should be refused a seat in the United States House of Representatives, large "U,S,H,and R". This country was not founded on the god, little "g", of islam, little "i", but on the one and only true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, that is the God of Judaism, the precursor to Chritianity ushered in by Christ, Himself. To permit Mr. Ellison to do anything other than take the oath on the Bible, would be a mockery to this nation, it's government and everything it stands for, just a further slide down the slippery slope."
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    icarus wrote:
    this is completely ridiculous. first of all this country wasnt founded on the bible. this country was founded to escape religious persecution.

what would be the point of making him swear on the bible if the bible doesnt mean anything to him? wouldnt it make a lot more sense to make him swear on a book that he actually abides by?

i love it when people say stuff is unamerican but their very attitude is whats unamerican.

Completely wrong. They were hardliners wanting more strict of an interpretation of the bible.

The bible is american tradition....keep it
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    darkcrow wrote:

This can only be the case if we offically designate a national religion, which is at least a few years off.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    How does Prager balance his "requirement" of swearing on the bible w/ the Constitutions prohibition of religious "tests"?

Article VI clearly states "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.
  • Options
    since there is a separation of church and state...why is he being sworn in on anything other than his word? why is he being sworn in at all? he was elected. it's done. but, since they are intermingling the two things then he should be sworn in on the koran...because, another thing is this - there is NO discrimination based on religion in this free country.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    cutback wrote:
    That is the most unAmerican thing I think I've ever heard.

i second that. if we have to swear on something, why not use the constitution from now on? we can avoid this religious bickering and maybe it would encourage some of our reps to actually read that document they're supposed to be upholding... i can dream cant i?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    miller8966 wrote:
    Completely wrong. They were hardliners wanting more strict of an interpretation of the bible.

you're a hypocrite. i bet you'd be screaming bloody murder if we removed under god from the pledge. but guess what? it was added in 1950... it was not in the original "tradition." but im guessing you didnt have a problem with that change of american tradition. you dont give a damn about tradition, you care about making sure your religion runs the government.
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:

I told you so.
    miller8966 wrote:
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Oh, how I wish it were so. A sampling of the many supportive responses to his article:

"So you would not mind a Satan worshiper swearing by the Satanic Bible or a what if a politician wants to swear on JRR Tolkins Lords of the Rings or Mao's little red book ~ no ? why not ? and despite the wish of the first two liberals who think that it is outdated and provicial I say "so what" who cares what you want ! I want it the way it is and will lobby to have it stay ~ by the way if they had asked O.J. to swear to tell the truth the whole so help him L. Ron Hubbard would you have said "hey thats not right"? or would you have said its his right to swear on any ol book he like its none of my business how he shows that he will follow the rules laid down to assertain someones sincerity?"

"You said everything I wanted to say. I had this suspicion that when Ellis got elected soon after we would hear something about his trying to change something more to his Muslim liking. I worried when he was running that this was the Muslims first step inside the Big door. Now they have one of their own within our government. His campaign was also financed by Islamic terrorist organizations."

"Pledging an oath to elected office by swearing to it with your hand on the bible is one of the traditions of this country. If you can't find it in yourself to complete this simple symbolic act, don't run for office. I too am tired of the bs multicultural hubris exemplified by Ellison's intentions. I live in California and I am frankly tired of my election ballots being printed in 6 different languages."

"IT'S STARTING!!!! I've been saying this over and over but hear goes again: Louis "Calypso Boy" Farakhan said and I quote: "A Muslim is a Muslim, there is no such thing and there never will be American Muslims or Muslim Americans, just as there are no French Muslims or Muslim French just as there are no British or German Muslims, it's either you're a Muslim or you're not".
    So Mr. Ellison being a Muslim living in America will not conform-What we do next and how this needs to be dealt with is extremely critical."

"Karl, I read that Ellison was involved with Gangs. Whether his wife claims to be a Christian or not, that does not make him moderate or saved. If he is a Muslim, then she is unequally yoked as the Bible warns against. Ellison must not be allowed to change the book of swearing in or we open a door. Lets See, Larry Flynt gets elected swearing in on Hustler, or one of the Enron Executives get elected and swears in on the SEC Rules book. This is absolute Horse Poop!"

"I don't care if he swears on a Bible or not, (its traditional only, and not a law) but he should not swear on the Koran, a book that advocates the violent spreading of Islam."

"If, Keith Ellison, the muslim, little "m", refuses to take an oath on the Bible, large "B", then he should be refused a seat in the United States House of Representatives, large "U,S,H,and R". This country was not founded on the god, little "g", of islam, little "i", but on the one and only true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, that is the God of Judaism, the precursor to Chritianity ushered in by Christ, Himself. To permit Mr. Ellison to do anything other than take the oath on the Bible, would be a mockery to this nation, it's government and everything it stands for, just a further slide down the slippery slope."
    This really frightens me.
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    the pilgrims were separatists who wanted to practice differently than what the church of england mandated. they left england to practice their own form of worship without being ordered by the state to practice a certain way."

Than they came to america and ordered everyone else to practice christianity. This is a christian nation my friend.

He should be sworn in on the bible or not sworn in at all.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Than they came to america and ordered everyone else to practice christianity. This is a christian nation my friend.

He should be sworn in on the bible or not sworn in at all.
    Oh give me a small fucking break!
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    Oh give me a small fucking break!

This is why you have to love america...because well probaly allow this to happen. Imagine if this guy was in a muslim country...they would have taken his head off.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    know1 wrote:

Good points all around.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.