Options

So...is Boom an official member or what?

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Come on people. This question would have been relevant 5 years ago. You think for the past 6 years Boom's been volunteering to play for the band for free or something?.. He's not a special guest. He's in the freakin band.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Come on people. This question would have been relevant 5 years ago. You think for the past 6 years Boom's been volunteering to play for the band for free or something?

That has very little to do with anything.

If he's a full-fledged member of the band, he's the only one who hangs out backstage for half the show and doesn't show up at VH1 shows to honor the Who.

I think of him more like a "featured player" -- like those people on Saturday Night Live who aren't considered full-fledged cast members.

I love Boom ... but you think they'd even think of doing the VH1 Rock Honors without Stone or Jeff?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Come on people. This question would have been relevant 5 years ago. You think for the past 6 years Boom's been volunteering to play for the band for free or something?.. He's not a special guest. He's in the freakin band.

I think that needs to stop :(
    very cool dude im sure he gets alot of money from touring, so bring em along for random songs he plays on... CAN T KEPP- Cue boom Red Mosquiot - fuck off boom Love Boat Captain- Cue Boom.. WMA- Fuck off boom (you see my pattern here?)

Boom = heaven... at the appropriate times

Boom is on stage and appears to be playing and u can hear him alot at the end of the songs on the newer boots :(

Im sorry but no pearl jam song should be touched ... they are all lil bundles of perfection ..
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    well then I have one more for ya. it's from 2007 so it'll give ya an idea how awesome they still are. It's shot really well by some guy in the crowd. check Adrock's vocals on the opening lines. unbelievable.

So Whatcha Want:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ONsUAmYkuY

Thanks, great signature BTW
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I think that needs to stop :(
    very cool dude im sure he gets alot of money from touring, so bring em along for random songs he plays on... CAN T KEPP- Cue boom Red Mosquiot - fuck off boom Love Boat Captain- Cue Boom.. WMA- Fuck off boom (you see my pattern here?)

Boom = heaven... at the appropriate times

Boom is on stage and appears to be playing and u can hear him alot at the end of the songs on the newer boots :(

Im sorry but no pearl jam song should be touched ... they are all lil bundles of perfection ..
    Whatever Boom's done, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 have been the best tours musically by far.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I find it funny that folks on here are complaining that "some guy from the orchestra" is playing the keys when in fact it is Brendan O'Brien who recorded the damn song with Pearl Jam, and who probably is a better musician than anyone in the band. Yeesh.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Whatever Boom's done, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 have been the best tours musically by far.

I don't think he adds enough to the band's sound to justify him being there. but whatever, I guess I like him. I yell BOOOOOM when Eddie introduces him.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I find it funny that folks on here are complaining that "some guy from the orchestra" is playing the keys when in fact it is Brendan O'Brien who recorded the damn song with Pearl Jam, and who probably is a better musician than anyone in the band. Yeesh.

I wasn't complaing, just wondering.

I didn't realize is it was Brendan O'Brien, not that it makes a difference to me. Maybe he IS a better musician than Boom. Maybe Dave Abbruzzese or Jack Irons are better musicians than Matt Cameron but they don't get brought out to play on songs that they recorded...
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    If nobody else screamed Boom, I probably wouldn't. Does that mean anything?
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    salt_creepsalt_creep Posts: 72
    I like he "idea" of Boom...

I'm just not very excited about the songs he's featured on
    (LBC, Crazy Mary, Marker, Wasted Reprise, Inside Job etc.)

Not terrible but those are usually my piss break/beer songs. Or songs I skip when listening to a boot. Plus, I think "Save You" would rock a lot harder without an organ
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    Boom's like a crazy uncle... you love him, but you're always a little nervous about how he'll behave in public.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    salt_creep wrote:
    I like he "idea" of Boom...

I'm just not very excited about the songs he's featured on
    (LBC, Crazy Mary, Marker, Wasted Reprise, Inside Job etc.)

Not terrible but those are usually my piss break/beer songs. Or songs I skip when listening to a boot. Plus, I think "Save You" would rock a lot harder without an organ

He plays on Marker? Maybe he does ... but I sure as fuck don't hear him. Same as Save You.

The rest of the songs you mentioned, holy shit those are good songs.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    He plays on Marker? Maybe he does ... but I sure as fuck don't hear him. Same as Save You.

He's actually responsible for my favourite bit of Marker - as they're all jamming at the end, Boom's B3 comes in and sounds absolutely beautiful, at least in the studio version. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    We all know Brendan O'Brien produced the LROM track. I am probably wrong but I thought Brendan was also the guy playing the piano part on the song. If so, that would be why they had him do it for the show. The piano sounds better than a keyboard anyway, and I have heard that Brendan O'Brien is one hell of a musician. This is something I should know, but I admit I am drawing a blank.

Anyone know if it was O'Brien or Boom on the recorded version?
  • Options
    they don't people outside of the hardcore fanbase to know about him because he's a freakin' goofball. notice he wasn't on SNL or Letterman with them in '06?

hey,watch what you say about BOOM fool!! :)

PJBuckeye wrote:

yes, it means you're a lemming :D
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is he not credited as a member in Immagine?
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    PJBuckeye wrote:

you're sheep?
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    mjb wrote:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is he not credited as a member in Immagine?

i don't know why we even have this thread! ;)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If he is an official member of the band, then he would get an equal share of profits from record sales and royalties. I'm not sure if the rest of the band wants to take a pay cut, but they don't mind him playing with them.
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    [quote:
    edit: oh, and the band wasn't about to have their goofy lookin' Hawaiian keyboard guy on national TV with them. his expertise? I think the guy with the orchestra did a fine job....as anyone who can play piano would have.[/quote]

There were alot of goofy lookin' people on that show. I think Boom is incredibly hot looking. But looks have nothing to do with playing music.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Krisdababe wrote:
    Ed's no Roger Daltrey either
    Thanks God for that because Ed whipes the floor with Daltrey in my humble opinion....I've just never like his singing which has probably hindered my enjoyment of The Who a lot through the years.

The show was great though. As for Boom not being there.....who knows? I do think way too much is being read into it though. I think it's a non-issue and I don't think his absense is any indication of his relationship with the band being severed. But, as I said, who knows? Could be
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118

How loud do you have it? I know when I got Riot Act blasting on my Ipod, I can hear Boom fine.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    He's not in the band. He's a side contributor. not unlike Money Mark, the guy who has been playing keyboards with the Beastie Boys since the early 90's.

edit: oh, and the band wasn't about to have their goofy lookin' Hawaiian keyboard guy on national TV with them. his expertise? I think the guy with the orchestra did a fine job....as anyone who can play piano would have.

Brendan O'Brien is pretty fucking knowledgable on the piano. Did you see him last night on Rock Honors? Dude is an all star musician.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Why are we actually having this discussion? Just curious. What do they have to do to make him OFFICIAL anyhow? Hold a press conference? Not sure he or the band care to make a big deal out of it....
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Why are we actually having this discussion? Just curious. What do they have to do to make him OFFICIAL anyhow? Hold a press conference? Not sure he or the band care to make a big deal out of it....

I wondered where he was is all.
    I'm sure they wouldn't play if Jeff or Stone couldn't be there so i'm just wondering why Boom wasn't there. Even if it was BB playing.
  • Options
    why isnt boom a member if hes credited for writing save you? and has been with them almost as long as matt
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Boom was too stoned to perform I heard, apparently he got some top quality white widow and when he looked at his organ he just laughed and said "the keys, they dance so pretty", it was at this point Ed realised Boom wasnt gonna be able to perform.

Anyway as full members go on the Immagine dvd there was more documentry footage of Boom than there was of Stone, go figure.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Krisdababe wrote:
    I wondered where he was is all.
    I'm sure they wouldn't play if Jeff or Stone couldn't be there so i'm just wondering why Boom wasn't there. Even if it was BB playing.

They actually OPENED for The Who without Stone some years back, so yes, they would play without Jeff or Stone. I am of the opinion that Boom is in the band when the band needs/wants him, and he knows it. When they tour, or IF they need his services in the studio. He got credited on the new boots while he was on tour with them. Otherwise, he isnt . Simple as that. :)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Pearl jam didn't want to pay for his airplane ticket from hawaii.......Prices are to damn high.
    Everytime they do a TV performance he is missing. SNL, LETTERMAN,VHI

hmmmm

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Krisdababe wrote:
    I just watched VH1 Rock Honors and didn't see Boom. Some other guy was playing the piano. I find it odd that when playing a song that could clearly use Boom's expertise, he's not on stage.

What's on the go?

Boom isn't a pianist, he plays the electric organ. I'm glad they used someone comfortable on a piano for this.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&