Posters 06 World Tour

Comments

• KDH12 wrote:
    U know what they say... you pay for what you get.....you could spend $25 and be done with it.

yeah but theres gotta be an in-between....

I went to a couple of places and got estimates for a 20 X 30 frame with a single matte...one place told me $120 (but was booked 'til June!), another place told me $220! Fucked up thing is that the expensive guy wanted to take a look at the poster and started to handle the paper...with DIRTY HANDS!!! I was like...."DUDE! please don't touch it with dirty fingers i cant replace it!!!" You'd think that in an art community (I live in Woodstock, NY) people would know the value (monetary or sentimental) of a work and treat it with kidd gloves.

long story short: i bought a bunch of mylar bags, acid-free board and photo corners....and for way under the $220 my posters are happy and safe. I'll pick 1 or maybe 2 to frame later, when i find a framer i can trust!
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096

I went to a couple of places and got estimates for a 20 X 30 frame with a single matte...one place told me $120 (but was booked 'til June!), another place told me $220! Fucked up thing is that the expensive guy wanted to take a look at the poster and started to handle the paper...with DIRTY HANDS!!! I was like...."DUDE! please don't touch it with dirty fingers i cant replace it!!!" You'd think that in an art community (I live in Woodstock, NY) people would know the value (monetary or sentimental) of a work and treat it with kidd gloves.

long story short: i bought a bunch of mylar bags, acid-free board and photo corners....and for way under the $220 my posters are happy and safe. I'll pick 1 or maybe 2 to frame later, when i find a framer i can trust!

Yes u pay for what you get.... but that doesn't mean that there are not rip offs out there cuase there are... what that means is that you have to be educated about what you pay for especially since you are paying for quality..... lets wait for MF's response
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • jjbehrenjjbehren Posts: 167
    October22 wrote:
    i hear what you're saying but i'm only trimming the tops of them. they are called top loaders so they have one opening on one of the narrow sides. they are 34" long and i need to trim them down to 30". the width is fine, so i'm not trimming them that way. does that make sense?

Makes sense. Mine load from the side so I guess I was making assumptions in forming my mental picture of your sleeves. Good luck and good job getting them out of tubes.
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=6105

6/26/98, 6/30/98, 6/13/99, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 6/15/03, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/26/06, 6/27/06
  • Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    October22 wrote:
    i hear what you're saying but i'm only trimming the tops of them. they are called top loaders so they have one opening on one of the narrow sides. they are 34" long and i need to trim them down to 30". the width is fine, so i'm not trimming them that way. does that make sense?

I ended up getting these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=7&subcat=144&product_id=shsp4

They fit in my box perfectly (http://www.dickblick.com/zz153/02/ the 22x30) and no trimming...hopefully.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • jjbehrenjjbehren Posts: 167
    I ended up getting these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=7&subcat=144&product_id=shsp4

They fit in my box perfectly (http://www.dickblick.com/zz153/02/ the 22x30) and no trimming...hopefully.

I currently have these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=7&subcat=145&product_id=s2822r

but I really don't remember them being that expensive when I ordered them. It was a while ago and I did order a large quantity so price/unit was probably pretty low...

They fit these backings very well:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=9&subcat=233&product_id=kaf402822

Again, pretty expensive, but it's a great setup.

I'm going to pick up the Itoya Art Portfolio soon as well:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz150/19/

It's really only good for the smaller stuff (18"x24"), but at least I'll save a few mylar sleeves and backings with it.

I think after my current supplies run out I'm going to do something like the 22"x30" clamshell box mentioned above with some smaller poly sleeves. I may even skip the backings for my posters of lesser values and just throw a piece of acid-free paper between them. That way I can still do at least 2 per sleeve.

God I love this poster addiction thing...way better than my previous/other current addictions.
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=6105

6/26/98, 6/30/98, 6/13/99, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 6/15/03, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/26/06, 6/27/06
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    bostonlou wrote:
    why the F is framing so expensive

MasterFramer... can you explain it?

It's not like the materials are gold or silver or rare

it's friggin wood, glass, paper, etc

it is just one of those things??

Yeah I know... but there has been a fair amount of technology put into some of the materials. Materials you need to frame well. Museums figured out how to frame items to preserve them and that has slowly found its way into consumer framing. Acid Free foam core, 100% cotton mats, UV Filtering glass, etc etc... (just google ‘preservation framing’ and see what comes up) there are also two other factors, custom framing is specialized so there is a premium, then not alot of people provide framing services so it becomes "exclusive", then you have to think of the labor involved too. I've been framing for 6 years and a large frame project can easily take me 1 or more hours. The signed poster that was auctioned off at the CCFA lunch over the weekend took me two hours design to finish… Framing is not hard though if you can find someone to show you the ropes it can save you alot of money. OR you can see if I can save you some cash :D

I kinda rambled and Im sue lou you were being rhetorical but maybe it will help some others understand the cost...

OR

You can slap it into a walmart frame and be done with it...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07

Are these mom and pop stores or chains?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Are these mom and pop stores or chains?

One's a "mom and pop" though it's more likely just one local guy i think. (the expensive one with the dirty hands). The other less expensive is a local chain, an art and office supply store with a great reputation for working with artists.

I'm willing to pay a little extra to work with local businesses, good for my local economy and all. You think ill find a much better rate at a major "chain"? and if so, which? I kinda gave up and didn't even check it out. I had so many posters in a (neat organized) pile with acid free paper in-between and wanted to get them to safety, so i went with the quick fix (bags and board). If you've got some suggestions about what i should be paying, it'd be appreciated. (of course, i am sure this information has been discussed ad nauseum...so feel free to ignore me, too. :)
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    I'd say definitely pay a little more if it is someone you can trust, both with the art and the framing ability. MasterFramer is a fan, and although I have never had anything framed by him, at least we know that he can appreciate the value of the poster. My wife went to Michael's or Hobby Lobby last week to check on some framing prices for me, and there was a little old lady in front of her talking to the framing people. Apparently, they had accidentally THROWN AWAY HER ART!!! If that was me in her position, I would probably be in jail right now, cuz that guy would have caught a face full of beat down.
  • jdub3001 wrote:
    My wife went to Michael's or Hobby Lobby last week to check on some framing prices for me, and there was a little old lady in front of her talking to the framing people. Apparently, they had accidentally THROWN AWAY HER ART!!! If that was me in her position, I would probably be in jail right now, cuz that guy would have caught a face full of beat down.

SEE...THATS MY WHOLE PROBLEM!!! I was considering a Michaels type place but....ya know, this isn't a poster print of Starry Night or something! OK, no trust big chains...got it.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Yeah I know... but there has been a fair amount of technology put into some of the materials. Materials you need to frame well. Museums figured out how to frame items to preserve them and that has slowly found its way into consumer framing. Acid Free foam core, 100% cotton mats, UV Filtering glass, etc etc... (just google ‘preservation framing’ and see what comes up) there are also two other factors, custom framing is specialized so there is a premium, then not alot of people provide framing services so it becomes "exclusive", then you have to think of the labor involved too. I've been framing for 6 years and a large frame project can easily take me 1 or more hours. The signed poster that was auctioned off at the CCFA lunch over the weekend took me two hours design to finish… Framing is not hard though if you can find someone to show you the ropes it can save you alot of money. OR you can see if I can save you some cash :D

I kinda rambled and Im sue lou you were being rhetorical but maybe it will help some others understand the cost...

OR

You can slap it into a walmart frame and be done with it...

wasn't really being rhetorical ... and i wasn't slamming you or your costs... i know you tend to beat the lowest reasonable estimaet

i just don't see it with the materials in use. cotton is expensive? foam is pricey because it's acid free?

to me framing is really just a glorified assembly worker ;)

collect/prepare materials
    put on gloves
    gently put the puzzle together
    done

and they get how much an hour for this?? ;)

i wouldn't want a walmart frame job ... i just don't want to pay 10x the price of the print to have it framed
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    bostonlou wrote:
    wasn't really being rhetorical ... and i wasn't slamming you or your costs... i know you tend to beat the lowest reasonable estimaet

i just don't see it with the materials in use. cotton is expensive? foam is pricey because it's acid free?

to me framing is really just a glorified assembly worker ;)

collect/prepare materials
    put on gloves
    gently put the puzzle together
    done

and they get how much an hour for this?? ;)

Didnt think you were slamming, I know the shit is super expensive and alot of it doesnt make sense. If I told you what an average piece of "Optium Museum Plexi" would cost for example you would try to punch me through my monitor on general principle. One of the reasons why I started this little biz, I knew I could help fans out and make alittle money doing it and still undercut the retail locations.

But I agree we are glorified assembly worker when it comes to materials but there are alot of problems that can arrise that experience can help solve, that a customer might not have. Plus my designs are tight ;)
  • RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    I would love to go through MasterFramer or another true fan, but the reality of it is that I have to be willing to pay a little bit more locally for convenience.

It's peace of mind for me. I don't have to ship, don't have to worry about glass breaking on the way back, etc. I know I can go pick up my piece in less than a week and be happy with it. I suppose that's why I'm willing to spend a bit more. At least that's what I tell myself.

If MF wasn't on the other side of the damn country I'd be going through him every single time :D
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    Redlegs wrote:
    If MF wasn't on the other side of the damn country I'd be going through him every single time :D

MasterFramer, maybe you need to tour!? You could get a little RV thing going, hit all the PJ fans home towns. LOL

KJ
    kj1nyr wrote:
    MasterFramer, maybe you need to tour!? You could get a little RV thing going, hit all the PJ fans home towns. LOL

KJ

MasterFramer - PLAY THE SOUTH! :)
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    kj1nyr wrote:

KJ

please let me know when you do this.

make sure you reserve a week in NYC alone ( out by the ocean --we'll make a party out of it ) , as my inventory alone can keep you occupied for that ammount of time .

:D
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    please let me know when you do this.

make sure you reserve a week in NYC alone ( out by the ocean --we'll make a party out of it ) , as my inventory alone can keep you occupied for that ammount of time .

:D

yes

how long do you estimate to frame 100+ posters ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    Didnt think you were slamming, I know the shit is super expensive and alot of it doesnt make sense. If I told you what an average piece of "Optium Museum Plexi" would cost for example you would try to punch me through my monitor on general principle. One of the reasons why I started this little biz, I knew I could help fans out and make alittle money doing it and still undercut the retail locations.

But I agree we are glorified assembly worker when it comes to materials but there are alot of problems that can arrise that experience can help solve, that a customer might not have. Plus my designs are tight ;)

I agree for sure, I do my own framing and have been trying to learn more skills beyond what I learned in art school. It is definately a skill... not something that anyone can do. right now I am trying learning to float pictures into a mat harder to do then you might think

Why is plexi so much more then glass?
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
    Redlegs wrote:
    I would love to go through MasterFramer or another true fan, but the reality of it is that I have to be willing to pay a little bit more locally for convenience.

It's peace of mind for me. I don't have to ship, don't have to worry about glass breaking on the way back, etc. I know I can go pick up my piece in less than a week and be happy with it. I suppose that's why I'm willing to spend a bit more. At least that's what I tell myself.

Give me a shot, see if I can make it worth your while. If you can bump up to plexi there is no issue with the glass breaking. Plus I split the packing and shipping with you so the cost isnt huge. Shoot me a PM if you like.
    bostonlou wrote:
    yes

how long do you estimate to frame 100+ posters ;)

3 Months easy :)
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    MasterFramer..... I need your services for some gems.......
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Ya know MF, if you did put together some kind of Mobile Framing Unit and decided to tour the country framing for fans....it could easily pay for tour :) lol...we could sign up for pre-show time slots...or, drop our new posters with you after the show...or something.
    Ya know MF, if you did put together some kind of Mobile Framing Unit and decided to tour the country framing for fans....it could easily pay for tour :) lol...we could sign up for pre-show time slots...or, drop our new posters with you after the show...or something.

Have frame will travel. :)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,635
    MF could trade framing projects for a 10club ticket...
    0-80,xxx gets you a deluxe double matted UV resistant frame job
    81,xxx-150,xxx gets you a single matted regular glass job
    151,xxx-220,xxx gets you a basic no matted frame job
    221,xxx-299,xxx gets you a walmart style frame
    300,xxx-399,xxx gets you a manilla envelope
    400,xxx and up gets you a crumpled poster in a plastic bag
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:

LMAO

(says the gal with the 70xxx)
  • Poncier wrote:

that last one was really f-ing funny.
    hmmm, i'd qualify for the single matte, but, if i buy dinner before the show, can i upgrade to double matte w/ UV glass?
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Sorrry, but I need better than the WalMart frame......
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    No word yet on the dumbgun print. I was going to email them about it, but decided to not bother them about it. It'll be here soon enough I guess.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
    Sawyer wrote:
    anyone get their dumbgun art prints yet? also waiting on the mccarthy 'squid & whale'.....any receipt of that one?

No dumbgun here either.