Options

Holy Repeats Batman!

13»

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Anyone who claims that the setlists have gotten more predictable should at least have some numbers to back up the argument. To me, they look about as diverse as they were in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 ...
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    ugh i thought this thread died

What's with all the junior moderators on here lately?
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    I'll be honest and say that I was dissappointed too. The majority of my shows have been in the Midwest, and MSG was my chance to see something "EPIC". The kind of back 2 back shows where they would do something like the full catalog at Boston, the re-immergence of Leash or Dirty Frank, etc. I wanted these shows to be something that I would remember for years to come. Well, with all the repeats, I'm sorry, they just weren't. I had hoped this tour would bring out some more often neglected material, and a chance to play some Lost Dogs stuff or some more songs from ITW. I'm starting to think the reality is that while they didn't have an album to promote, they also didn't have enough preparation to play a really diverse tour either.

Regardless, hey there WERE great shows, I was stoked to hear All Night, Who You Are, H2I, Release, Indifference, WMA, etc, but it just wasn't a set of shows that really pushed the envelope. As someone else said, as soon as the back-up singers came out again I thought "they're playing all 3 songs again tonight." I wanted both nights to be distinct shows. There was just too much overlap.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,051
    Been to 4 shows in Europe. have had GTF, Alive, RITFW, DTE, Corduroy for all of them. i think they should shuffle around the songs they play 99% of the time.

Instead of playing Alive 10 out of 10, maybe 5 out of 10.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    Just when I was starting to kinda sorta buy into the whole "Pearl Jam is a modern day Grateful Dead" argument, they play 2 nights at MSG and play the following on both nights:

Why Go

All Night

Corduroy

Given to Fly

Who You Are

Even Flow

Do The Evolution

W.M.A.

No More

I Believe In Miracles

Alive

Not knocking the band or the gigs at all. I had a freakin' blast and they certainly mix it up way more than just about anyone else I've ever seen, but I think the whole Dead comparison is, well, dead. I realize there is more to that analogy then just setlist variety, but that was always the crux of the argument for me.

Oh, well, still an epic couple nights.
    Hope it's less than 5 years before they come back!

i'm sick to death hearing the comparison between the two bands. pearl jam doesn't come close to the dead. there are a shitload of bands out there that are closer to what the dead was than pearl jam. end of story.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    tharvey13tharvey13 Posts: 15
    In my opinion the shows were outstanding. I had been to 7 shows before MSG and had heard a total of 92 different songs. Over the course of the 2 shows they played 59 songs 48 of which were unique. I also think that they nailed most of the repeats better on night 2. All in all I had a blast and it appeared that the band did as well, let them play what they want.
  • Options
    happy2beherehappy2behere Posts: 148
    ya they suck......please
    the grateful dead were, and continue to be (despite being gone for 13 years) the most successful touring live musical act in the history of music. not sure how you can suck, and hold that title

they suck and everyone was on drugs.....thats just ignorant.

dont cite their "sucking" as a reason for a new set with nearly zero repeats each night. its called the grateful dead have a HUGE CATALOG
    you can have your opinion but dont throw out stupid comments like you did above.

a huge catalog that is pretty worthless.
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    the point of the Dead comparison had more to do with the scene around it ... That only happens with a small handful of bands. The Dead are one. PJ is another.The comparison is a valid one.
    As a dead fan who saw them 100s of times including following them during the tour in 78, I totally agree! I have also seen many bands over 35 years and the fan/band interaction is unique to these bands. Whoever said the Dead's catalog is worthless tells me you have limited music experience!
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    there is no doubt PJ is a much better band than the dead,i never could figure out their cult following.i figured it was the parking lot parties like Buffett.drop enough acid and anyone sounds good :D

but seriously you can't mention them in the same breath musically as Led Zep or Floyd like you can with PJ
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    Also, with that said, The Grateful Dead were able to mix up their setlist more than anyone else for 2 reasons:

1. They had ZERO hits. Every song was on an equal level.
    2. They suck and everyone was on drugs. So it didn't matter what they played.[/quote]

Having gone to many dead shows and pj shows, I love this comment and agree 100%.
    I wish pj would play the exact same show back to back so no one would ever bring up the dead comparison again.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Ive noticed that some shows are repeating as well...I hope this isnt a sign of things to come!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18