Options

Holy Repeats Batman!

Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Just when I was starting to kinda sorta buy into the whole "Pearl Jam is a modern day Grateful Dead" argument, they play 2 nights at MSG and play the following on both nights:

Why Go

All Night

Corduroy

Given to Fly

Who You Are

Even Flow

Do The Evolution

W.M.A.

No More

I Believe In Miracles

Alive

Not knocking the band or the gigs at all. I had a freakin' blast and they certainly mix it up way more than just about anyone else I've ever seen, but I think the whole Dead comparison is, well, dead. I realize there is more to that analogy then just setlist variety, but that was always the crux of the argument for me.

Oh, well, still an epic couple nights.
Hope it's less than 5 years before they come back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Yeah - its a tough one sometimes but 11's not bad in 29 songs.

That being said- it seemed like they felt they had to do the 3 songs with the crew singers. And No More... bleh. That's four right there that could have been different.

edit: and JC(?) Ramone could have learned Sonic Reducer or SOMETHING different...
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    cj didn't need to learn shit, fan. he was in the motherfucking ramones...the band couldve picked a different ramones song...not like they are so technically difficult.
  • Options
    this was covered already earlier. Like Dr. Sluggo said, 3 for the backup singers. No More, well ed's grown pretty close to the inspiration for that song, and he's not doing well. Even Flow and DTE are played at 99.9% of shows. Corduroy is probably 95%. Miracles for the special guest, and that's 8 of them. Why go has become a crowd favorite, and a singalong. The only ones that surprised me were GTF and Alive. But I'm going tomorrow, and I hope they play Alive again.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    Just when I was starting to kinda sorta buy into the whole "Pearl Jam is a modern day Grateful Dead" argument, they play 2 nights at MSG and play the following on both nights:

Why Go

All Night

Corduroy

Given to Fly

Who You Are

Even Flow

Do The Evolution

W.M.A.

No More

I Believe In Miracles

Alive

Not knocking the band or the gigs at all. I had a freakin' blast and they certainly mix it up way more than just about anyone else I've ever seen, but I think the whole Dead comparison is, well, dead. I realize there is more to that analogy then just setlist variety, but that was always the crux of the argument for me.

well, they try to cater to the people who go to multiple shows but they also know that some people might be only in town for one show. those people deserve to see Who You Are just like everyone else. personally, I didn't need four straight performances of "No More," but who cares?

and I'll take ten billion Do the Evolutions thank you very much.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    well, they try to cater to the people who go to multiple shows but they also know that some people might be only in town for one show. those people deserve to see Who You Are just like everyone else. personally, I didn't need four straight performances of "No More," but who cares?

and I'll take ten billion Do the Evolutions thank you very much.

yes, good point I forgot to mention. not everyone goes to both shows. In fact, it's probably a small percentage
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    i sat next to/in front of the same people both nights, very weird, yet comforting, a little pj city
  • Options
    Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    Yeah, I mean none of the songs are bad (except No More, gimme a break, Ed).

But for the people who are here for one show, why do you need to repeat Why Go and Alive? Play Black and Jeremy. They had plenty of hits and early album stuff that could have been substituted for the casual fan.
  • Options
    yeah i agree with both of you guys . . . i always cringe whenever there is a grateful dead comparison regarding setlists. I mean c'mon some people just don't really know the grateful dead and how they did it, they used to play back to back to back shows without repeating a song . . .
    but with that said, hey our guys are not the grateful dead, I admit during the show last night when Ed introduced the backup singers, I figured oh well I guess we are getting Allnight, WMA, and Who you are, again. But it was good to hear, again, it was just a bit predictable. But the miracles thing, well that kinda surprised me, I thought for sure it was going to be something different, I kept on thinking sonic reducer, even though I believe that was originally done by the dead kennedys . . . oh well great shows, I have three more to go!
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this... but a friend of mine is a huge DMB fan. We were talking and me mentioned that when he saw them do a two night run in Mansfield they repeated only one song, and then the next year they did another two night stand and repeated only two songs.

Granted DMB may play less songs with more jamming, but I THINK PJ has a bigger selection. I honestly don't know why they did it (except for the 4 mentioned earlier).

That being said, I was at MSG I and it was fucking awesome, and was kicking myself for not doing EVERYTHING I could to get to MSG II. This isn't complaining, it's just discussion.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    About 5 or 6 of those deserve to be repeats. Everything else....meh.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    ....But the miracles thing, well that kinda surprised me, I thought for sure it was going to be something different, I kept on thinking sonic reducer, even though I believe that was originally done by the dead kennedys . . .

nope- Sonic Reducer was The Dead Boys

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options

yeah but I see what he means. I wouldn't have been surprised to see them cover it with CJ. They've covered it with the Buzzcocks dude before.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

yup, good call, my bad . . .
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    it is slightly dissappointing i have to admit.
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    They will never be a modern day Grateful Dead, nothing to do with setlists.

They are simply not an improvisational band.

Oh, they can jam out hard and sometimes long within a given structure, nobody can deny that. But they regurgitate meat and potatoes, night after night. Extremely good meat and potatoes, but whimsical creativity, exploration, intuitive ingenuity, variations of tempo, song structure, rhythmic play, or breaking any form of new ground does not happen 'in the moment.' Pearl Jam is one of the least 'jammy' bands going, especially nowadays. :eek:

For sure the Dead juggled sets around but on any given run you'd hear many of the same things over the course of two or at least three nights: Tennessee Jed, Deal, Loser, Bertha, Looks Like Rain, Sugaree ... dozens of first set examples ... all of Bobby's cowboy songs ... these things fell into definite slots, especially first and early second sets. People often overlook this.

Yet it's the truth that to often even casual listeners they wouldn't play the songs exactly the same way twice, even on back-to-back nights. There was always some variation in how they approached a song, sometimes subtle, sometimes not so. That was their calling card, their genius. With PJ, when you hear the first notes of any given song you know exactly how it's going to play out - Mike's featured solos notwithstanding [but that's really beside the point.]

Not saying it's a bad thing; I love PJ's emotional range, musicianship, and passionate fire, but in a fundamental musical sense PJ could not be further from the Grateful Dead. The comparisons never should have started.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I too thought there quite a few repeats for a 2 night stand.

In 2003, if I remember correctly, they only repeated 5 songs. I might be wrong but I am almost positive it wasn't anywhere close to 11.

And it is not a small percentage of people that go to both shows. Look at this board. I bet it's a pretty big percentage. Maybe a small percentage that are able to score 10C seats for both. But I bet it's at least 1/3 of that crowd that goes to both shows. At least.

What's with the backup singers? I mean, I know what's with them. I read the posts... I just think backup singers are cheesy. Pearl Jam already added a keyboard player. That's enough in the "predictable added band members" category, thanks. No backup singers. No trumpet players. No Go Go dancers. The other 5 guys in the band can't sing backup good enough?
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    as pj fans we're so spoilt really I mean they will have played most of their catalogue (over 200 songs) by the end of the tour in only what 13 shows? Thats unheard of today or in the past.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    who cares

they can sing the abc's (even the new urban abc's ) and I would love it
  • Options
    corduroid wrote:

For sure the Dead juggled sets around but on any given run you'd hear many of the same things over the course of two or at least three nights: Tennessee Jed, Deal, Loser, Bertha, Looks Like Rain, Sugaree ... dozens of first set examples ... all of Bobby's cowboy songs ... these things fell into definite slots, especially first and early second sets. People often overlook this.

By the early 80s you never heard those songs repeated in two or even three night stands. They played some similar stuff ( like Bob's Cowboy or slide songs ) but not repeats like you are suggesting and certainly not Garcia songs.

They also occasionally had special guests. I remember when Steve Stills showed up at the Meadowlands Arena in 1983. He played Black Queen the first night.....and then Love the One Your With the second night. That was a great moment.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    out of what? close to 30 songs each night, 11 is not bad at all.

what about the shows where they have played 2 nights someplace in the past, and didnt repeat more than 3 or 4 songs?

damn people. it could be much worse.

this is not even a "proper" tour. its just some dates they did b4 they go back into the studio.

oh well, ya cant please everyone all the time i guess.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    as pj fans we're so spoilt really I mean they will have played most of their catalogue (over 200 songs) by the end of the tour in only what 13 shows? Thats unheard of today or in the past.

people who are complaining about 11 repeated songs at MSG need to stop going to multiple shows.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I agree

that means I get floor again and closer

yay!

people who are complaining about 11 repeated songs at MSG need to stop going to multiple shows.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    BUSH-lager wrote:

Why Go

All Night

Corduroy

Given to Fly

Who You Are

Even Flow

Do The Evolution

W.M.A.

No More

I Believe In Miracles

Alive

Yea I agree. I heard almost every song they did at MSG during either night 1 or 2 at Camden.
    To tell ya the truth it bummed my first MSG experience out.
    That and the dirt weed the guy next to me gsve me to puff on.
    Nasty brown crap. I never ever smoke anymore, but if I do it better be the dank, I did puff on the kind bud at the train station :D:D:D
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    were they wearing the same clothes both nights (i can't remember)?

maybe they were filming, hoping to get the best parts of performances to edit together.

I mentioned the filming/DVD thing in a previous thread, and I really think this is the case. I get the feeling the band wasn't thrilled with a few of the performances and replayed songs on night 2 to compile a new (MSG) DVD properly. Throughout the night, I was trying to figure out if they were wearing the same clothes also. Great minds think alike. :)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    corduroy, alive, and even flow should not be used in this argument because all three are played in 99.99999999% of their shows. its a cold day in hell when they dont play all three
  • Options

No kidding. Some people forget that not everyone is so obsessive about Pearl Jam that they go to every show within 100 miles.

Some people only have tickets to one show, and deserve to see some hits.

Also, with that said, The Grateful Dead were able to mix up their setlist more than anyone else for 2 reasons:

1. They had ZERO hits. Every song was on an equal level.
    2. They suck and everyone was on drugs. So it didn't matter what they played.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    corduroy, alive, and even flow should not be used in this argument because all three are played in 99.99999999% of their shows. its a cold day in hell when they dont play all three

add do the evolution to that list. It's the only song played in each of my 20 shows. Even Flow is 19-20
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    in terms of setlist variety, the grateful dead comparisons should have stopped a long time ago. they still play a wide variety of songs over the course of a given tour, but the setlists seem to have become a little more predictable.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    BUSH-lager wrote:

Why Go

All Night

Corduroy

Given to Fly

Who You Are

Even Flow

Do The Evolution

W.M.A.

No More

I Believe In Miracles

Alive

I'm sure someone will blast me for this but in reality it's true. Pearl jam do change up their setlists greatly but there are always repeats in the set. usually about 7-10 songs are repeats in setlists probably more common in back to back same city shows. I am glad that pearl jam does mix up their set but even excluding the staples (e flow, black, corduroy, yl, RVM) They still have repeats nightly. The band does a great job going through their catalog. I've immensley enjoyed seeing many old songs return to the set this tour that have been absent for over a decade. Congrats to all who have been able to see pj in the last 5 years, that's hpw long it's been since they have played the shithole I live in. :(
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    When going to state to state you obviously cant get to picky when they play the same sht BUT when they play the same state, same city, same venue, and repeat the same 11 f'N songs? i mean common i could name it least 20 that i would wanna hear then what was repeated, but i guess beggers cant be choosers.

But this is New York City where in 03 we had over 8,000+ fan club members, so im sure the band knows that a lot of fans not only from ny but from all over the world just dont come for just one show they come for both nights and the majority would wanna hear something different then the previous night.
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22