Options

pics from Lebanon (warning)

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
***WARNING VEEEEEERY graphic/sensitive...***

I know how much it sucks to not be ready for some ugly stuff when you click on a link, but we should look war in the face and see what those actually living through it don't have the choice of not seeing

http://fromisraeltolebanon.info/
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Damn, those pics are really graphic. I can't find the words right now, still in shock.

May the people pictured rest in peace.
  • Options
    BetterRadioBetterRadio Posts: 189
    wow. war is hell.
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Oh shit dude, that was pretty intense. How can anyone manufacture and deploy weapons that do that? Ask the US gov't I guess... no really...I mean write them and ask them.. for real people.

Oh my god...
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    My heart hurts.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    My heart hurts.

It just digs away at you...it's hard to express the emotions

Israel Must Allow Civilians Safe Passage

Lebanon/Israel: Israel Must Allow Civilians Safe Passage
    Warnings Do Not End Duty to Avoid Civilian Casualties

(Beirut, July 21, 2006) Israel must allow civilians safe passage out of
    Lebanon's embattled south, Human Rights Watch said today. Warnings by
    the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to civilians that they must evacuate
    southern Lebanon within 24 hours do not absolve Israel of the duty to
    avoid attacks likely to cause indiscriminate or disproportionate loss of
    civilian life.

Yesterday, the IDF advised all civilians south of the Litani River in
    southern Lebanon to evacuate the region within 24 hours for their own
    safety. Through leaflets dropped by aircraft, radio broadcasts and a
    recorded message to mobile phones, residents were advised not to travel
    on motorcycles or in vans or trucks lest they be "suspected of transporting
    weapons and rockets," and become "a potential target."

"Israel should warn people of attacks, but those warnings can't be used to
    justify harming civilians who remain," said Sarah Leah Whitson, director
    of the Middle East and North Africa division at Human Rights Watch.
    "Civilians who can't evacuate are still fully protected by international
    law."

The Israeli military's extensive destruction over the last several days of
    bridges, roads and vehicles, as well as shortages of food and fuel, have
    made evacuation in 24 hours impossible for many. An estimated 300,000
    people live south of the Litani River, which lies about 20 miles north of
    the Lebanon-Israel border. Some 60,000 civilians have fled the area over
    the past week, the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz reported.

International humanitarian law requires armed forces to give "effective
    advance warning" of attacks when circumstances permit. However, even
    after warnings have been given, these forces must still take all feasible
    precautions to avoid loss of civilian life. This includes canceling an attack
    when it becomes apparent that the target is civilian or that the civilian loss
    would be disproportionate to the expected military gain.

Human Rights Watch expressed particular concern over continued air
    strikes that have killed and injured civilians trying to flee. On Wednesday,
    an air strike on a car reportedly killed four civilians: Ghassan Faqih, 31;
    Laila Aqil Abu Zayd Nami, 71; As'ad Habas, 42; and an unidentified
    fourth woman, who were driving from their village of Aitaroun to the city
    of Tyre.

Israeli air strikes the same day killed more than 50 people across the
    country, the highest daily death toll since the conflict began on July 12.
    Air strikes have hit civilian trucks, including those carrying sugar, flour
    and rice. Other attacks have destroyed public infrastructure, notably
    bridges and roads needed by the civilian population to flee.

"The Israeli military is telling civilians to leave, but the casualties caused
    by its attacks on the roads have made many people too frightened to
    travel," Whitson said.

Israel's military campaign has already displaced 500,000 Lebanese
    residents, or one-eighth of the country's population, the United Nations
    said. The humanitarian situation is especially grim in Tyre, a few miles
    south of the Litani River, where an estimated 60,000 residents as well as
    displaced people from nearby villages are trapped with dwindling supplies
    of medicine and food.

The IDF announced on July 19 that it is "operating with great caution in
    order to prevent any harm to uninvolved civilians." At the same time, the
    military said, "Southern Lebanon is a combat zone in which Hezbollah
    terrorists operate against Israeli civilians from within the civilian Lebanese
    population, using them as human shields."

Deploying military forces within populated areas is a violation of
    international humanitarian law, but that does not release Israel from its
    obligations to take all feasible precautions to minimize harm to civilians
    and civilian property during military operations.

On July 19, Hezbollah fired more than 100 rockets into Israel, killing two
    Israeli Arab boys in Nazareth. Human Rights Watch has condemned
    Hezbollah for launching attacks that at best indiscriminately, and at worst
    deliberately, target civilians.

More than 300 people have been killed in Lebanon since the fighting
    began on July 12, most of them civilians. Twenty-nine Israelis have been
    killed, including 15 civilians.

To see Human Rights Watch's ongoing coverage of the Israel-
    Lebanon conflict, please visit:
    http://hrw.org/campaigns/israel_lebanon/

Please help support the research that made this bulletin possible. In order
    to protect our objectivity, Human Rights Watch does not accept funding from
    any government. We depend entirely on the generosity of people like you.
    To make a contribution, please visit https://donate.hrw.org/member
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    You know it's fucking horrible that people can do this kind of shit to each other. We humans pride ourselves on being more advanced and civilized than anything else that's found on earth but yet we're the only things that continue to create things that can kill each other easier and easier. Then we use the horrible fucking images and aftermath as propaganda to cause even more senseless fighting, meaningless murder, and a neverending cycle of hate that does not subside and cool off as time passes but blooms and explodes like a volcano link directly to the deepest chambers of hell. Advanced? Maybe Civilized? Hardly. Human? Never.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Heartbreaking :(

A week into this war, and I still can't find words ....
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    It really sucks getting mis-represented by people who SUPPORT this...and honestly that feeling goes beyond the right/left wing grabage....if not I really think something is wrong with you; not as a patriot, not as a countryman, not as a nationalist, not as a Republican/Democrat?Liberal/Conservative....but as a human being...really seriously this is so sad and I am sure there are some pictures from the other side of the border as well...its just disgusting people think this is reasonable for what was done...I feel ashamed as a human being in the world right now and I feel powerless...I really hope for once that the voices around the world get heard to stop this...on both fronts....
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've just e-mailed this link to 5 top BBC correspondents im order to give them a glimpse of what the BBC is keeping from us.
    Perhaps some of you Americans would care to e-mail some 'names' at Fox news and their equivalents?
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    What horrible, horrible images. Why do they call it genocide tho? Bit extreme. Noones trying to eradicate an entire race or country. Unless you count Iran's leaders wishes.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I've just e-mailed this link to 5 top BBC correspondents im order to give them a glimpse of what the BBC is keeping from us.
    Perhaps some of you Americans would care to e-mail some 'names' at Fox news and their equivalents?

Buddy... we're not allowed to show that stuff on television. I'm not saying that's how it should be, but we're just not allowed to show graphic violence or anything on standard TV.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    DOSW wrote:
    Buddy... we're not allowed to show that stuff on television. I'm not saying that's how it should be, but we're just not allowed to show graphic violence or anything on standard TV.

Anymore than they showed the body parts on the news/papers after 9/11. No public channel does nor should show that kind of image.

And friends are friends, pals are pals, but buddies sleep together. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    InsaneSoupInsaneSoup Posts: 37
    I'm speechless...
    4/16/92...8/20/92...6/19/05...6/20/05...9/24/96...10/5/96...6/14/98...9/18/98...9/19/98...9/4/00...5/3/03...7/1/03...7/12/03...5/30/06...cuz everyone seems to be doin' it....please don't jump off any bridges.
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Where are the pics cnn doesnt show you fo hezbollah backed suicide bombers that go onto train and blow up innocent israeli citizens.....such a propaganda piece those pictures are.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Where are the pics cnn doesnt show you fo hezbollah backed suicide bombers that go onto train and blow up innocent israeli citizens.....such a propaganda piece those pictures are.

It startles me that you can remain unaffected by these pictures. Are you incapable of empathy?
  • Options
    beetlebeetle Posts: 39
    as a pro-israeli i am sickened by the first two images of the little girls, so i researched and yet still sickened by it, its still worthwhile to read the story behind the pictures http://ontheface.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/7/20/2142505.html

as for the remaining pictures with no caption/photographer listed i have no way of knowing what i am looking at except heartbreaking pictures
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

8-23-00,8-24-00,4-30-03,7-08-03,7-09-03,7-11-03,9-28-04,9-29-04,10-1-04,5-13-06,5-27-06,6-01-06,6-03-06
  • Options
    It startles me that you can remain unaffected by these pictures. Are you incapable of empathy?

Im the patrick bateman of the MT
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    beetle wrote:
    as a pro-israeli i am sickened by the first two images of the little girls, so i researched and yet still sickened by it, its still worthwhile to read the story behind the pictures http://ontheface.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/7/20/2142505.html

as for the remaining pictures with no caption/photographer listed i have no way of knowing what i am looking at except heartbreaking pictures

Its easy to take those pictures of the little girls out of context. I still find them bothersome, but no more so than the pictures of what Arabs do when a bomber strikes Israel or when a few planes hit the U.S.

As for the rest ... Its pretty hard to take them out of context. Just disgusting and terrible, and there can really be no justification.
  • Options
    Its easy to take those pictures of the little girls out of context. I still find them bothersome, but no more so than the pictures of what Arabs do when a bomber strikes Israel or when a few planes hit the U.S.

As for the rest ... Its pretty hard to take them out of context. Just disgusting and terrible, and there can really be no justification.

what about when palestinian children burn israeli flags or march through the streets with ak47s?
  • Options

yeah, but that stuff is actually shown in the mainstream media, isn't it?

of course it's bad, but when you can show me how the bodycounts stack up (5:1 palestinian kids killed to israeli) and on a consistant basis let me know.

who lives under whose heel and gun barrels? it's more than just defense in retaliation when the damage and 'collateral damage' gets so high. and let's be honest, there is history of mass murder a few times.

the western media beats the suicide bomber into everyone's heads, but they fail to portray israel for the bullies they can be and are being.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    beetle wrote:

Thanks for posting that. I didn't want to believe what those little girls were doing was as bad as it seemed.
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't want to believe what those little girls were doing was as bad as it seemed.

The girls in the blog story are pretty much an anology for the majority of Americans in regard to Iraq.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    miller8966 wrote:
    what about when palestinian children burn israeli flags or march through the streets with ak47s?

I suppose you want them dead as well. Get er done. I really hope you have no siblings.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    beetle wrote:

does anyone actually know what was written? b/c i have a real hard time believing they were writing mesages to the infrastucture instead of ppl...they know these bombs are going to be killing people and they seem 'gleeful' about writing messages on a missile...especially given this:

http://www.captiveminds.org/misc/letter.htm

i'm not trying to demonize one side over the other here but i'm also not going to believe one is innocent, they knew what would happen w/ those weapons.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Im the patrick bateman of the MT

Did you ever kick cats and dogs as a kid for a laugh? Just wondering, my friend did... I have a dark past..
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

I'm not trying to demonize one side over the other here but i'm also not going to believe one is innocent, they knew what would happen w/ those weapons.

This whole thing is a perpetual mindfuck.

I'll admit, I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to this region of the world. I think I got around 50+ good hours of reading to get behind me on this topic before I can hope to form any kind of opinion (other than the obvious outside influences).

I am curious, who keeps breaking the ceasefires, or who has broken the most?
  • Options
    C4Lukin wrote:
    You guys diserve the ignorance you live in. I could post a picture of a man raping a baby, and put a caption under it saying "This is what Jews do to Arabs," and a nice portion of you would believe it without blinking. There is no factual evidence on that site, just graphic photos, and you eat it up because you want to. If this sort of evil shit is going on, and Isreal is perpetuating it intentionally, then by all means call them on it. But to take every lame ass propaganda site and absorb it like a freaken sponge without the least bit of common sense analysis of where you are getting the info from, who is giving it to you, and how accurate it is, it is just freaken dumb. I see how religious fundamentalists, nazis and Branch Dividians come about just by reading a lot of the comments in this thread.

Most here are against it period. We are not picking sides but trying to analyze and understand it. But I could be wrong and in that case yes, you are right about that to a point. A good point. However the pictures are authentic from various sources now (to my understanding).

Besides even if they weren't, it's all definitely happening so they might as well be real. Much worse is going on than what those few pictures show in reality.

Unless you're a gaza strip conspiracy theorist.... hey that's a new one! :D
  • Options
    beetlebeetle Posts: 39
    to be honest i regret posting a link that gives an explanation to 2 of those photo's, i feel i may have given the p[ics credibility, i spoke with an israeli soldier that says it is laughable that those pics are real.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

8-23-00,8-24-00,4-30-03,7-08-03,7-09-03,7-11-03,9-28-04,9-29-04,10-1-04,5-13-06,5-27-06,6-01-06,6-03-06