Options

Photos of Israeli Children 'Signing' Missiles Stir Controversy

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002913202&imw=Y

By E&P Staff

Published: July 26, 2006 8:25 PM ET

NEW YORK With the Israeli offensive in Lebanon meeting surprising resistance -- despite massive destruction from the air -- the recent publication of photos of Israeli children signing missiles about to be fired into Lebanon, with messages such as "From Israel with Love," have drawn renewed attention.

The Web site of the Jerusalem Post (jpost.com) confirmed that the pictures are real, after they appeared on numerous mainstream news sites and blogs, where they continue to inspire wide feedback.

Similar pictures were taken by photographers for AP, AFP and the daily Israeli paper, Ha'aretz.

The Jeusalem Post site explained, "Questions over the photos' authenticity have been put to rest by authorities that were present during the incident, which occurred on July 17 near the northern border. The mostly local children had been brought to see the shells by their parents. Although it remains unclear who encouraged them to write the messages, their colorful scribbles, including a Star of David, hearts, and 'From Israel, with Love'....

"Over the years, there have been a number of photos that have been popularized by the on-line community such as photos of young Palestinian babies dressed as suicide bombers, or Israeli children in Purim costumes mocking Palestinian political officials."

The Israeli military said it did not sanction to episode.

The photos drew a comment by Robert C. Koehler, an editor and columnist for Tribune Media Services, in a scathing column distributed late Wednesday.

"Maybe the bombs that destroyed the home of the 8-year-old girl in the southern Lebanon village of Ayta Chaeb, quoted by an AP reporter from her hospital bed in Tyre, were autographed by little Israeli girls," he wrote. "Maybe they were decorated with hearts and Stars of David. Maybe they said 'from Israel with love.'"

Koehler called this added "collateral damage: the corruption, the militarization, of the young....This is the collective obscenity of militarized hatred. It's not just a game that adults play. We pull the children into it. We extract their blessing, and far too often their blood as well....

"Welcome to the gates of hell and madness. We can no longer afford to militarize our irrational streak."

E&P Staff (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:letters@editorandpublisher.com">letters@editorandpublisher.com</a><!-- e -->)
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    El_Kabong wrote:

"Welcome to the gates of hell and madness. We can no longer afford to militarize our irrational streak."

this shit is getting pretty scary... and seeing those kids sign the bombs just might be the scariest fucking thing i have ever seen
  • Options
    newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    El_Kabong wrote:
    http://editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002913202&imw=Y

By E&P Staff

Published: July 26, 2006 8:25 PM ET

NEW YORK With the Israeli offensive in Lebanon meeting surprising resistance -- despite massive destruction from the air -- the recent publication of photos of Israeli children signing missiles about to be fired into Lebanon, with messages such as "From Israel with Love," have drawn renewed attention.

The Web site of the Jerusalem Post (jpost.com) confirmed that the pictures are real, after they appeared on numerous mainstream news sites and blogs, where they continue to inspire wide feedback.

Similar pictures were taken by photographers for AP, AFP and the daily Israeli paper, Ha'aretz.

The Jeusalem Post site explained, "Questions over the photos' authenticity have been put to rest by authorities that were present during the incident, which occurred on July 17 near the northern border. The mostly local children had been brought to see the shells by their parents. Although it remains unclear who encouraged them to write the messages, their colorful scribbles, including a Star of David, hearts, and 'From Israel, with Love'....

"Over the years, there have been a number of photos that have been popularized by the on-line community such as photos of young Palestinian babies dressed as suicide bombers, or Israeli children in Purim costumes mocking Palestinian political officials."

The Israeli military said it did not sanction to episode.

The photos drew a comment by Robert C. Koehler, an editor and columnist for Tribune Media Services, in a scathing column distributed late Wednesday.

"Maybe the bombs that destroyed the home of the 8-year-old girl in the southern Lebanon village of Ayta Chaeb, quoted by an AP reporter from her hospital bed in Tyre, were autographed by little Israeli girls," he wrote. "Maybe they were decorated with hearts and Stars of David. Maybe they said 'from Israel with love.'"

Koehler called this added "collateral damage: the corruption, the militarization, of the young....This is the collective obscenity of militarized hatred. It's not just a game that adults play. We pull the children into it. We extract their blessing, and far too often their blood as well....

E&P Staff (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:letters@editorandpublisher.com">letters@editorandpublisher.com</a><!-- e -->)

I'm by no means saying it is okay, or supporting it, but you must remember it is a war, and last time I checked, there were no rules, (well I know some will say there are, but it is a war....war is war....), and besides that I have seen several pics of americans signing bombs from past years....no outrage there....is it strictly because it is children?
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I'm by no means saying it is okay, or supporting it, but you must remember it is a war, and last time I checked, there were no rules, (well I know some will say there are, but it is a war....war is war....), and besides that I have seen several pics of americans signing bombs from past years....no outrage there....is it strictly because it is children?

Just to add a comment to this. I have yet to hear it called a war on any news station that I watch up here. Incursion, field trip, crisis, but not war. I don't know who they think they are kidding, but they are not using that word.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    my2hands wrote:
    this shit is getting pretty scary... and seeing those kids sign the bombs just might be the scariest fucking thing i have ever seen

Here's something I've already written in a similar thread a few days ago, but everyone keep ignoring it for some reason:

"I don't like this picture either, but I'm not gonna be demagogic about it. Do you understand hebrew? Well, I do. These kids are from Kiryat Shmona, maybe one of the most bombed towns in northern Israel since the 80's. Do you know what they wrote?

"Nasralla, I've waited for this all of my life..." "Hizbullah, I hope you'll get what..." and then signed their names.

This, This is what I'm talking about. Assuming things just becasue someone said something that matched your point of view and there we have it - the whole world is now thinking these Israeli *kids* and maybe all Israeli kids are evil.

How LOW can you guys go?"

That artical proves I was right. Great, so now our kids are evil. Yeah, good for you. Keep on "not" stirring up the air storm.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I wonder what the response would be if it were Muslim children doing the same...
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    dkst0426 wrote:

Must have been in the way of a missile trying to get to the government of Israel. Sounds about right for the excuses we hear from both sides when innocent people get hit. Oh the suckers who vote in or have to live with the hate that these people have. Oh, that is on both sides.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    givebloodgiveblood Posts: 15
    inmytree wrote:
    I wonder what the response would be if it were Muslim children doing the same...

Some sort of excuse for their behavior? What's funny (or perhaps not) is that one can make the exact same excuses for either Muslim or Israeli children who do this kind of stuff. Maybe they lost parents or other loved ones? Maybe they have been indoctrinated into a culture of violence? Maybe they are too young to really realize the gravity of what it is they are doing?
    Two sides of the same bum nickel.
  • Options
    giveblood wrote:
    Some sort of excuse for their behavior? What's funny (or perhaps not) is that one can make the exact same excuses for either Muslim or Israeli children who do this kind of stuff. Maybe they lost parents or other loved ones? Maybe they have been indoctrinated into a culture of violence? Maybe they are too young to really realize the gravity of what it is they are doing?
    Two sides of the same bum nickel.

And "maybe" they just wrote:

"Nasralla, I've waited for this all of my life..." "Hizbullah, I hope you'll get what..." and then signed their names.

this is the third time I'm writing this, apparently no one wants to litsen. It kills me people are making such crucial assumptions without even knowing what was actually written there (Its in Hebrew, you know). Well I know Hebrew. those were "greetings" for the Hizbullah, period.

p.s - giveblood, this is not personal. this post is adressed to everyone.
  • Options
    givebloodgiveblood Posts: 15
    shiraz wrote:
    And "maybe" they just wrote:

this is the third time I'm writing this, apparently no one wants to litsen. It kills me people are making such crucial assumptions without even knowing what was actually written there (Its in Hebrew, you know). Well I know Hebrew. those were "greetings" for the Hizbullah, period.

p.s - giveblood, this is not personal. this post is adressed to everyone.

No offense taken whatsoever ... I understand what you're saying, and I agree that many people aren't listening. ... People choose (consciously or unconsciously) to emphathize with some victims and not others.
  • Options
    giveblood wrote:
    No offense taken whatsoever ... I understand what you're saying, and I agree that many people aren't listening. ... People choose (consciously or unconsciously) to emphathize with some victims and not others.

I don't care about emphathizing in this case. We're talking about little *children*, that too many people are using them in a very cynical wicked way. They didn't even do anything wrong, but yet everybody thinks its ok to use them that way, in order the make some demagogic false point - Israeli kids are evil.

How low can you guys go?

(again, nothing personal).
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    my2hands wrote:

Of course that's scarier than the Palestinian children with suicide bomb belts on.

Give it a rest.
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    jsand wrote:
    Of course that's scarier than the Palestinian children with suicide bomb belts on.

Give it a rest.

I think it's scary to see both Palenstinian and Israeli children taught hate.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    baraka wrote:

100% agree....the viscous cycle continues....
  • Options

Yeah, it's heartbreaking to see it. It seems to me that the hate is so ingrained, due to that region's violent past. Like you said, it is a vicious cycle.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:

Except that even if you classify this as being "taught hate," this is one isolated incident. It is widespread on the Palestinian side. It's even in their textbooks. They pass out sweets when a successful suicide bombing takes place and the children collect "martyr" cards.
  • Options

Agree with what?!? We don't teach them to hate! Those are kids from one of the most bombed Israeli towns, who wrote "greetings" for Nasrallah. The man is a sick terrorist who is trying to ruin everybody's life ==> they have every reason to hate this evil man, just like I hate him for what his doing to all of us. No one need to teach hatred for terrorists, it supposed to come naturallly.

Everyone, Leave those kids alone! Stop using them for your stupid demagogy! The only thing worng here is the proximity of the kids to those rockets.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Agree with what?!? We don't teach them to hate! Those are kids from one of the most bombed Israeli towns, who wrote "greetings" for Nasrallah. The man is a sick terrorist who is trying to ruin everybody's life ==> they have every reason to hate this evil man, just like I hate him for what his doing to all of us. No one need to teach hatred for terrorists, it supposed to come naturallly.

Everyone, Leave those kids alone! Stop using them for your stupid demagogy! The only thing worng here is the proximity of the kids to those rockets.

Shiraz, don't even bother. They have absolutely no respect whatsoever for your country - its government and people.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:

With all due respect, shiraz, your analogy could be used to 'excuse' this behavior on the 'other side' of this conflict. I agree with you that these children are in a war zone and would naturally direct 'hate' towards the opposing side. The same argument can be made for the Palestinian children as well.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Shiraz, don't even bother. They have absolutely no respect whatsoever for your country - its government and people.

Ths isn't true, jsand. I have much respect for shiraz, her people and all people going through this conflict.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    With all due respect, shiraz, your analogy could be used to 'excuse' this behavior on the 'other side' of this conflict. I agree with you that these children are in a war zone and would naturally direct 'hate' towards the opposing side. The same argument can be made for the Palestinian children as well.

Hizbullah is a terror organization, Nasrallah is a terrorist! This has NOTHING to do with the Lebanese people, the 'other side' = Hizbullah, to whom the kids worte their "greetings", they didn't adress anything to the Lebanese civilians!

Hating the Hizbullah is the same thing as hating Al Qaida - its a natural thing. And I've never said anything about Palestinian children, for god sake stop reading what you want to read in my posts!
  • Options
    i thought it ended w/ the point about the effects of militarization on children...not just pointing a finger at israelis. of course the populace and their children are being brainwashed on both sides, i just think israel is in more of a position to make it stop. if they stopped taking land, bulldozing down homes, throwing tear gas into ambulances picking up ppl they just beat, threw stun grenades at...then there wouldn't be as much of a reason tobelieve what groups like hezbollah and hamas say. they are merely exploiting the situation israel is helping to create, and so is the israel government.

but to make a case that this isn't happening on the israeli side, that their children aren't being raised w/ this hate is innacurate.

as for things being ignores, shiraz, this has been ignored every single time, too

http://www.captiveminds.org/misc/letter.htm

"DEAR SOLDIER, PLEASE KILL A LOT OF ARABS"

Source: Yedioth Ahronoth, May 7, 2002

Israeli reservists serving in the Tulkarm area during Operation Defensive Shield were stunned when they opened gifts sent by school children from central Israel. Many of the students wrote them letters in which they encouraged them to disregard the rules and regulations and to kill as many Arabs as possible. Dozens of the letters were sent, mostly from children in the 7th through 10th grades who attend national religious schools.

One reservist said he was eager to open the letter, but he was stunned when he started to read it. "I pray for you that you return home safely, and kill at least ten for me," wrote the pupil. "Screw the rules and spray them. By the way-a good Arab is a dead Arab." Other letters were even more heated. "Let the Palestinians, may God blacken their name, burn in Hell. Punch holes in them with your M-16 and bomb them," wrote one of the teens. Another wrote, "I have a special request for you-kill as many Arabs as you can." In another letter, a pupil wished the soldier success in his mission and added, "Say, isn't it fun to shoot an Arab? Here's a slogan: a good Arab is a dead Arab. A top notch Arab is a buried Arab."

Most of the letters contained similar statements. Some of the teenagers, who are supposed to be drafted in another two years, said they regretted not being able to take part in the "action" now. The reservist who opened the first letter mentioned above gathered all the letters and sent them to the Jewish Action Center. "I read the letters and couldn't believe my eyes," he said. "We keep talking about the hateful incitement of the Palestinian educational system towards Israel, and suddenly it happens here with us, beneath everyone's nose. This issue simply frightens me and has to set off alarms in our educational system."

The director of the public department at the Jewish Action Center sent a letter to the Education Minister demanding she investigate the situation and curb "trends towards radicalization." The ministry said it will investigate.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i thought it ended w/ the point about the effects of militarization on children...not just pointing a finger at israelis. of course the populace and their children are being brainwashed on both sides, i just think israel is in more of a position to make it stop. if they stopped taking land, bulldozing down homes, throwing tear gas into ambulances picking up ppl they just beat, threw stun grenades at...then there wouldn't be as much of a reason tobelieve what groups like hezbollah and hamas say. they are merely exploiting the situation israel is helping to create, and so is the israel government.

but to make a case that this isn't happening on the israeli side, that their children aren't being raised w/ this hate is innacurate.

as for things being ignores, shiraz, this has been ignored every single time, too

Israeli reservists serving in the Tulkarm area during Operation Defensive Shield were stunned when they opened gifts sent by school children from central Israel. Many of the students wrote them letters in which they encouraged them to disregard the rules and regulations and to kill as many Arabs as possible. Dozens of the letters were sent, mostly from children in the 7th through 10th grades who attend national religious schools.

One reservist said he was eager to open the letter, but he was stunned when he started to read it. "I pray for you that you return home safely, and kill at least ten for me," wrote the pupil. "Screw the rules and spray them. By the way-a good Arab is a dead Arab." Other letters were even more heated. "Let the Palestinians, may God blacken their name, burn in Hell. Punch holes in them with your M-16 and bomb them," wrote one of the teens. Another wrote, "I have a special request for you-kill as many Arabs as you can." In another letter, a pupil wished the soldier success in his mission and added, "Say, isn't it fun to shoot an Arab? Here's a slogan: a good Arab is a dead Arab. A top notch Arab is a buried Arab."

Most of the letters contained similar statements. Some of the teenagers, who are supposed to be drafted in another two years, said they regretted not being able to take part in the "action" now. The reservist who opened the first letter mentioned above gathered all the letters and sent them to the Jewish Action Center. "I read the letters and couldn't believe my eyes," he said. "We keep talking about the hateful incitement of the Palestinian educational system towards Israel, and suddenly it happens here with us, beneath everyone's nose. This issue simply frightens me and has to set off alarms in our educational system."

The director of the public department at the Jewish Action Center sent a letter to the Education Minister demanding she investigate the situation and curb "trends towards radicalization." The ministry said it will investigate.

You post it a few days ago, I wrote a replay, but again - YOU don't read what doesn't fit you.

shiraz wrote:
    2002, are you kidding me? is that the best you got? One incident from 2002, which was well published at local media and then was investigated & solved?

God, this is pathetic. You are catually doing everything you can to see it in a specific fixed way.

Leave our kids alone!
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

You posted it a few days ago, I wrote a replay, but again - YOU don't read what doesn't fit you.

shiraz wrote:
    2002, are you kidding me? is that the best you got? One incident from 2002, which was well published at local media and then was investigated & solved?

God, this is pathetic. You are acatually doing everything you can to see it in a specific fixed way.

Leave our kids alone!
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    You posted it a few days ago, I wrote a replay, but again - YOU don't read what doesn't fit you.

Leave our kids alone!

the article i started this thread w/ contradicted your reply that you say has been ignored. you claim the bombs were signed to a particular person or group.

from the article:
    "The Jeusalem Post site explained, "Questions over the photos' authenticity have been put to rest by authorities that were present during the incident, which occurred on July 17 near the northern border. The mostly local children had been brought to see the shells by their parents. Although it remains unclear who encouraged them to write the messages, their colorful scribbles, including a Star of David, hearts, and 'From Israel, with Love'...."

and regardless if they were signed to a single person, i doubt it will comfort the family an innocent person who was killed. even if one of them killed Nasrallah you will just be recruiting even more to take his place w/ this display. killing thru wreckless force is not going to solve yours or anyones problems.

does it matter if it was 2002? IT STILL HAPPENED and if anything w/ these pics shows it STILL IS.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    the article i started this thread w/ contradicted your reply that you say has been ignored. you claim the bombs were signed to a particular person or group.

from the article:
    "The Jeusalem Post site explained, "Questions over the photos' authenticity have been put to rest by authorities that were present during the incident, which occurred on July 17 near the northern border. The mostly local children had been brought to see the shells by their parents. Although it remains unclear who encouraged them to write the messages, their colorful scribbles, including a Star of David, hearts, and 'From Israel, with Love'...."

and regardless if they were signed to a single person, i doubt it will comfort the family an innocent person who was killed. even if one of them killed Nasrallah you will just be recruiting even more to take his place w/ this display. killing thru wreckless force is not going to solve yours or anyones problems.

does it matter if it was 2002? IT STILL HAPPENED and if anything w/ these pics shows it STILL IS.

And once again, you read what you want to and playing the "innocent". Your original artical and original titles regarding those pictures were basically saying "Israeli kids are signing gifts for the Lebanese". This is a VERY demagogic thing to say, especially because kids are involved (not to mention your and most of other people lack of Hebrew knowledge).

I wrote I don't like this picture because of the proximity of the kids to weapons - they shouldn't have to be there in the first place. This is the ONLY thing worng with that picture. The kids wrote to Hizbullah, not to anyone else. They didn't write "we hate arabs", and connecting this incident to an old isolated one from 2002 is WRONG AND COMPLETELY DEMAGOGIC. You are painting here a dangerous false equation: All Israeli kids are bloodthirsty and hate arabs. What the hell are you trying to do? Do you want some fanatical person to go into a Jewish/Israeli kindergarten and shoot the kids? What are getting out of criminal generalizing and presenting Israeli kids and their parents as full with hate to arabs?

THIS IS WRONG, and you should be extremely ashamed of yourself for doing that.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    jsand wrote:

Give it a rest.

Open your eyes just for a milisecond, for a MILISECOND! What's sad is that kids are being taken advantage of...cause kids on either sides, they dont know any better, obviously you dont either. Grow a brain.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    El_Kabong wrote:

I wonder if Sally Struthers could help me "adopt" one of those cuties. Id promise to send two Sharpies every week. :p
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    And once again, you read what you want to and playing the "innocent". Your original artical and original titles regarding those pictures were basically saying "Israeli kids are signing gifts for the Lebanese". This is a VERY demagogic thing to say, especially because kids are involved (not to mention your and most of other people lack of Hebrew knowledge).

not true...i posted the pics one other time and that was in someone else's thread...here it is
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=3520557&postcount=23

i did not say what you are claiming. in both that reply and the original one in this i stated that it is horrible to do this to children...i am not demonizing israelis, i'm saying kids are being taught to hate on both sides and it is sick!

as flor my lack of hebrew knowledge, i will rely on the Jerueslem Post, which certainly does know hebrew.
    shiraz wrote:
    I wrote I don't like this picture because of the proximity of the kids to weapons - they shouldn't have to be there in the first place. This is the ONLY thing worng with that picture. The kids wrote to Hizbullah, not to anyone else. They didn't write "we hate arabs", and connecting this incident to an old isolated one from 2002 is WRONG AND COMPLETELY DEMAGOGIC. You are painting here a dangerous false equation: All Israeli kids are bloodthirsty and hate arabs. What the hell are you trying to do? Do you want some fanatical person to go into a Jewish/Israeli kindergarten and shoot the kids? What are getting out of criminal generalizing and presenting Israeli kids and their parents as full with hate to arabs?

THIS IS WRONG, and you should be extremely ashamed of yourself for doing that.

according to an ISRAELI newspaper they signed them ambiguously w/ things like 'from israel w/ love' i also stated it does not matter if they were signing them just to hezbollah (which the israeli newspaper refuted), it is WRONG.

i never said, implied or did anything to mean 'all israeli kids are bloodthirsty' what i said is israeli childrend are being raised to hate and that is horrible.

the incident from 2002 simply shows that this has been going on.

if you want i can repost the videos of israeli children (living in an occupied territory) throwing rocks at, punching and kicking arabs while the idf stands around doing nothing to stop it. this is not to demonize israeli children, it's to show they are being raised to hate a certain group just like some palestinian/arab kids are. you have to admit your own mistakes before you can work on solving them. to just say the arabs are the ones taught to hate and constantly rationalize the other side of it will get nowhere in terms of peace.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    you have to admit your own mistakes before you can work on solving them. to just say the arabs are the ones taught to hate and constantly rationalize the other side of it will get nowhere in terms of peace.

I agree with this statement. The cycle of violence has to stop somewhere. Sadly, until both sides learn to respect each others right to exist, this madness will only continue. There has to come a point when finger pointing stops and progressive peace negotiations begin.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein