Options

DC Hotels

Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
edited April 2008 in The Porch
ok, Philly is completed....how about DC?

For the locals, where is the best section/neighborhood to stay? Close to the venue?

Priceline lists these areas:

Downtown DC
Arlington - Reagan Airport
Northwest DC (
Falls Church
Bethesda
Alexandria - Springfield
DC Suburbs - Northeast Area

Anybody have any ideas?

And are the touristy places/National landmarks open on Sunday?

Thanks!
Turn this anger into
Nuclear fission
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    i would give ex-mayor marion barry a call.....

that crackhead knows all the cool hotels to party at!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Are you not enjoying the tour city choices?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    i was just in dc last week, stayed in the palomar its on the dupont circle downtown, about a mile or so away from the venue....nice hotel
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Stay away from the south east.
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442

you are relentless on these threads...

funny though
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    i used hotels.com and booked at the Red Roof Inn

from the map it looked extremely close!
    " to myself i surrender, to the one i'll never please"

May 13,2006...Hartford,CT back on the map!!!
  • Options
    Downtown(?) is in NW DC. As far as anywhere near the venue is good neighborhood. As far as transportation is concerned the Verizon Center is above the Gallery Place metro stop which is on the red, yellow and green lines. I would look for a hotel according.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Are you not enjoying the tour city choices?
    just having some fun....

im sure boston and new york would be great cities to see a show....

and you cant go wrong vacationing in Florida....

but i have spent time in both D.C and Camden.....they are both a fucking nightmare...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The Dupont Circle area is a good option if you're not hunting around for the best price. There is plenty of stuff to do around there while you're in town.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    just having some fun....

im sure boston and new york would be great cities to see a show....

and you cant go wrong vacationing in Florida....

but i have spent time in both D.C and Camden.....they are both a fucking nightmare...

hehe, I hear ya.

Im driving though, so I am relegated to what's closest and whats on a weekend (or so).

and I have a thing for blight.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    in case anyone wanted info of where the Red Roof Inn is located or their phone #

Red Roof Inn Washington, DC Downtown
    1-202-289-5959
    500 H St Nw
    Washington, DC 20001

hope to see alot of familiar faces in DC

CT Joe
    " to myself i surrender, to the one i'll never please"

May 13,2006...Hartford,CT back on the map!!!
  • Options
    Is most of the Downtown Area safe?

Probably close to landmarks?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Edit: I guess Downtown means "White House" area, correct?

Is this area ok? On Priceline they look pretty nice. can I assume the neighborhood the President lives in is ok?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Is most of the Downtown Area safe?

Probably close to landmarks?

the entire downtown area surrounding is safe and real nice actually
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10
  • Options
    the entire downtown area surrounding is safe and real nice actually

Thanks!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    i was just in dc last week, stayed in the palomar its on the dupont circle downtown, about a mile or so away from the venue....nice hotel

I stayed there for work in December for nearly a month (seriously) ... it's a Kimpton property (might mean something to those who travel).

Looks like they converted an older hotel into the Palomar ... so, it's not as upscale foofy as most Kimpton properties, but it's close.

Location was great ... close to public transit, lots of restaurants and bars. We walked to all the historical sites from there (about a 20-25 minute walk)

Go to Brickskellar right around the corner from here ... pretty much every beer imaginable in stock.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    edwf2000edwf2000 Posts: 95
    the verizon center is located just about in chinatown, but its not that sketchy. Downtown DC is actually quite big and is on both sides of the white house, there is a ton to do in downtown DC besides the normal historical stuff, really cool city. Very safe, a lot of federal agents who won't bother you, but won't let bad shit happen either. I go to college in downtown DC, if anyone needs any specific info, I'll answer what I can
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I got a good deal on a room at the Hyatt when i was there for the pearl jam show in '06. Very comfy beds/pillows and really close to the venue (only about a three miunte cab ride away)

Sometimes you can find deals on rooms , it can be a bit pricey depending on what time of year it is ...
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

Sometimes you can find deals on rooms , it can be a bit pricey depending on what time of year it is ...

I recommend kayak.com to all those looking for hotels ... it scours all the sites such as hotels.com, expedia, orbitz, hotwire ... etc.

Good for flight research too.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    it depends on how much you want to pay! if you are driving you might want to stay in a suburb and take the metro in as it is super super easy! bethesda is nice....alexandria is way cool...if you are in a suburb just make sure you are on a metro line and if it isn't one taht stops at gallery place/chinatown it is still easy to hook up to a line that goes there......and yes EVERYTHING is open on sundays:) museums might close around 4 or five but monuments are always open....enjoy!!! i wish i was going to DC
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    ok, Philly is completed....how about DC?

For the locals, where is the best section/neighborhood to stay? Close to the venue?

Priceline lists these areas:

Downtown DC
    Arlington - Reagan Airport
    Northwest DC (
    Falls Church
    Bethesda
    Alexandria - Springfield

Anybody have any ideas?

And are the touristy places/National landmarks open on Sunday?

Thanks!
  • Options
    it depends on how much you want to pay! if you are driving you might want to stay in a suburb and take the metro in as it is super super easy! bethesda is nice....alexandria is way cool...if you are in a suburb just make sure you are on a metro line and if it isn't one taht stops at gallery place/chinatown it is still easy to hook up to a line that goes there......and yes EVERYTHING is open on sundays:) museums might close around 4 or five but monuments are always open....enjoy!!! i wish i was going to DC

I pricelined it and got the Renaissance Mayflower. It sounds and looks nice!!

Are you going to any of the other shows??
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

just camden so far...
  • Options
    We got a room at the Red Roof Inn, it's right around the corner from the venue.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    We're also staying at the Red Roof Downtown.
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    mfc22mfc22 Posts: 106
    check out the hotel harrington. really old but right in the center of action. and only a few blocks from the venue. really cool pub attached...
    ...if she's gone i can't go on feelin' 2 foot small...
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

looks like a fancy hotel you've found....like i said though since you are driving...good luck with parking!!!
  • Options
    staying in arlington Va might be a cheaper option. If you stay near the subway it's only a 20-30 min ride to the show
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    If you use the site hotel-guides.us, it will let you select the venue, museum, etc that you want to be close to. It will show you all the hotels in that area, with distance from the venue you selected. I found a place called Phoenix Park Hotel Capitol Hill which is about a half mile from the Verizon Center, and is also right near Union Station for anybody taking the train.
  • Options
    Dude,
    the only "touristy" place you need to visit is Adams-Morgan, and MAYBE Georgetown, or Duponte Circle ...

FUCK the monuments.
    Go to the bars!

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I used to work down there, but it's been about 4 years. Red Roof Inn was the closest and a decent hotel. That area has really built up in the last 5 years, still don't wander to far out of China Town at night, at least to teh north - not unless you want to be propositioned. My office was on 4th and "I" Street NW and I could look out of my window onto "K" street and see working "girls" in the middle of the day (some of them didn't have the proper equipment to be "girls" :)
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016