Instant thoughts. (add yours if you like)

Comments

• blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    I'm a ninja
    ninja assasin that is ;)
    sorry my mistake.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm envious of all the beautiful flowers you both are talking about. I can't have a single blossom going for more that 20 minutes without some "deer" eating all my plants !!!!! Oh well. I no longer plant flowers- about 2 weeks ago I counted (11) deers in my backyard and then they decided to walk to the front of my house and down my driveway !!!! ;)
    Well thats pretty special in its self! When we went camping we'd always go out at dusk to spot the deer. They are majestic animals. Once on a hike we came across 3 laying peacefully under a tree. They didn't budge. Just let us walk through their world. Its a beautiful memory.
    Maybe if you plant in pots close to your living space and talk to the garden center expert they may have some suggestions. You might be able to enjoy a little of both.
    Some flowers and deer, then I would envy you!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    pandora wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm envious of all the beautiful flowers you both are talking about. I can't have a single blossom going for more that 20 minutes without some "deer" eating all my plants !!!!! Oh well. I no longer plant flowers- about 2 weeks ago I counted (11) deers in my backyard and then they decided to walk to the front of my house and down my driveway !!!! ;)
    Well thats pretty special in its self! When we went camping we'd always go out at dusk to spot the deer. They are majestic animals. Once on a hike we came across 3 laying peacefully under a tree. They didn't budge. Just let us walk through their world. Its a beautiful memory.
    Maybe if you plant in pots close to your living space and talk to the garden center expert they may have some suggestions. You might be able to enjoy a little of both.

Well, Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. This has been going on for so long - I've pretty much given up on flowers.

I have to say that during the winter months - the deers are truly wonderful to watch. Take care. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I'm a ninja
    ninja assasin that is ;)
    watch what you say :D
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    mikalina wrote:

ELEVEN deer in your backyard??!! :shock:
    Wow. Is your yard enormous? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

ELEVEN deer in your backyard??!! :shock:
    Wow. Is your yard enormous? :D

No - not at all, I actually live in a "developement" and most of our yards are less then a 1/2 acre. But this used to be a huge wooded area where deer lived before "our houses" did. How sad. So the deers were here before "us" and of course still want to hang around.

The nice part of this area - lots and lots of trees !!! So the deers, owls, skunks etc. feel right at home :D

It's still amazing to me.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    :)
    It sounds nice though. "Lots of trees" give a place a good feeling.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2010
    mikalina wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

Well, Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. This has been going on for so long - I've pretty much given up on flowers.

I have to say that during the winter months - the deers are truly wonderful to watch. Take care. :D

if you interested i have a recipe for homemade deer repellant...no chemicals, all natural stuff you'd likely have around the kitchen and it won't hurt the deer they just don't like the taste of it...it really does work.

i used it at my old place because the deer would devour my tomatoes, roses, tulips, clematis, petunias, pansies. one even walked right up onto my front porch and ate a huge basket of pansies, not two feet from the door. the only things they wouldn't eat was the lavender, sage, herbs, gerainums, and a few others, and my lilacs (oh how i miss my lilac bushes :( )

two years ago i shooed away this doe just as she was about chomp into my just planted tomato plants (she had eaten my neighbors entire huge garden so i though maybe that was why she was so FAT) so i mixed up some repellant and sprayed on my plants...i didn't feel too bad cause there's lots of other vegetation around....

well two days later i'm looking out my bedroom window (on the phone with someone...hmm i was right about what they were saying then was bs also) so and i see her laying in the grass right across the street and she got a lil newborn fawn that's all hopping around her. then i look out again and she's standing leaning down eating something in the grass...she then backs up and i see something slowly rising up and it's the lil wet twin fawn standing up all wobbly legged for the very first time...definitely one of the most incredibly awesome things i've ever witnessed :D
    Post edited by prism on
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • @ Prism- That is so amazing! Very cool that you were able to witness that! Its stories like this that make me greatful that I live where I do and not in some big, inner city that doesn't have a blade of grass within a mile. We take so much for granted. Such a great story!
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I WON'T back down!!! :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • I must admit, I live in the city, but I also live near a three square acre lot of protected nature that I can enjoy when EVER I need it ( which is often), plus my wolf-dog used to love going there with me so I go there alot lately to pay him homage... And the natural world ( you know sans other humans) is an absolute necessity. I got to have a bobcat moment like that ( the deer ) in Yosemite, it's unlike any other feeling in the world to get to see them in their own habitat, watching you go by as they go along their way watched by you.. :D:D:D
    I'm sure interested in the "homemade" natural deer repellant. Send it to me, plus any directions would be nice. Thank you,

I already spray my lawn with "cheap" beer during the summer months. I did read that beer is good to naturally de-thatch your lawn. Since I'm not a beer drinker - I figure my lawn would like it. :D
    I must admit, I live in the city, but I also live near a three square acre lot of protected nature that I can enjoy when EVER I need it ( which is often), plus my wolf-dog used to love going there with me so I go there alot lately to pay him homage... And the natural world ( you know sans other humans) is an absolute necessity. I got to have a bobcat moment like that ( the deer ) in Yosemite, it's unlike any other feeling in the world to get to see them in their own habitat, watching you go by as they go along their way watched by you.. :D:D:D

Isn't it nice to just get-away like that.
  • yes, I know huh?
    "An hour in the garden/woods puts life's problems in perspective"
    Nature has helped me handle life and its troubles. It brings a peace that nothing can match except maybe being in the arms of a loved one.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    It's all going to work out.

I'm just figuring this out at this very moment.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    pandora wrote:
    Nature has helped me handle life and its troubles. It brings a peace that nothing can match except maybe being in the arms of a loved one.
    that is why i have always been a country boy vs' a city slicker.
    i can't wait until i am better.
    i am going to tear up some trails.
    i need grass, trees, rain, and wildlife.
    ferns, a thick labyrinth of multiple shades of green.
    perfect for writing under a tree, relaxing smoking a few hits.
    the birds, each one singing the ("hey dude, look at me i'm so beautiful and fun as i skip around branch to branch") song of sky.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • the wolf wrote:
    It's all going to work out.

I'm just figuring this out at this very moment.
    Its always better late than never..... This makes me smile!
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    pandora wrote:
    I agree! :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    that is why i have always been a country boy vs' a city slicker.
    i can't wait until i am better.
    i am going to tear up some trails.
    i need grass, trees, rain, and wildlife.
    ferns, a thick labyrinth of multiple shades of green.
    perfect for writing under a tree, relaxing smoking a few hits.
    the birds, each one singing the ("hey dude, look at me i'm so beautiful and fun as i skip around branch to branch") song of sky.
    you describe what I love very well
    Our vacationing has changed the last years since PJ travels, we go to cities. I do miss the vacations where I can live in the woods, claim a park as home for a few days.
    Those shades of green you describe, the ferns and moss in the deep woods, the smells and silence except for leaves in the breeze and the occasional bird alerting another, takes you to a different place mind and soul.
    I can and do attempt to have that here in my yard. I have my backyard friends and garden. But there really is no replacement for being deep in the woods.
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm sure interested in the "homemade" natural deer repellant. Send it to me, plus any directions would be nice. Thank you,

I already spray my lawn with "cheap" beer during the summer months. I did read that beer is good to naturally de-thatch your lawn. Since I'm not a beer drinker - I figure my lawn would like it. :D

the 'recipe' and directions are sent

i'm not a beer drinker either...but i'm sure your lawn liked it ;)

this has nothing to do with keeping deer from eating flowers/plants...

but across the street alongside the blackberries there was an old apple tree... in the fall the apples would fall to the ground and ferment...the deer loved to come along and eat them...my neighbors and i would giggle cause it did appear that a deer would "get buzzed" and stagger :lol: after eating a few... :mrgreen:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Hello I'm Brandi and I'm a peanut butter addict.
  • Hello I'm Brandi and I'm a peanut butter addict.

Hi, BRANDI!!!
    Time just flew by tonight. It's already after eleven! :shock:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I like being kissed.... maybe it'll happen tomorrow.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hello
    high
    good morning
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    "Once oh what a time I could control myself
    Once oh what a time I could lose myself
    Once oh what a time I could love myself
    Once oh what a time I could love you"
  • I think that I may have died without knowing... hell and my life are too similar to really tell the difference.

And, to add to my skinned body and sunburn, I also dropped a curling iron on my chest today.... Fml, please, seriously. Lol
    And, to add to my skinned body and sunburn, I also dropped a curling iron on my chest today.... Fml, please, seriously. Lol
    ouch! sorry, I hate that when I do that, and I have
    or when I burn my forehead with the curling iron before we are going somewhere and it looks like a big long red welt that no one can keep their eyes off of when I'm speaking to them.
    Hope your sunburn gets better soon. I haven't had a chance to get mine yet this year ;)
This discussion has been closed.