Options

february NYC meet-up!

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited February 2008 in The Porch
***SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE***

it's that time again, already.....the february NYC meet-up, one month from today! :) anyone want to share ideas as to where, feel free! we definitely would like a place that has the ability to allow us to reserve some *space*...preferably with sofas/tables...whatever....room for all to mingle. if the last 2 meets are any indication, i would plan on anywhere from 18 - 25 people.

also remember, we are planning this meet around catefrances - coming up from OZ for her first visit to NYC! :D it would be her preference to simply have a bar/pub meet, better to socialize. also, our dear colorsblend is leaving for oz a week later, so a nice send off and what symmetry to the evening! :p

***edit:
after numerous PMs and emails, seems most were VERY happy at the pour house and would just as soon have another meet there. i'm all for keeping it simple/easy so i'm game too. was a great/comfy place....decent food, reasonable prices, good space. so i will go ahead and book us space there once more. i'll post when it's set. :)

so for right now plan on: ***it is SET now***

friday, february 22nd
8 PM
village pour house
RED LIGHT ROOM

http://www.villagepourhouse.com
when you enter the bar, just ask for the 'red light room'...i've never actually been in that area of the pour house so no idea how nice it is or not. however, there are 3 tables in the space, and they are reserved for us at 8 PM. unfortunately, i don't think it'll be as nice as the space in the vegas room, but it was already booked! we're sure to make the most of it in any case. seeya friday!

those attending:

1. catefrances
2. since i fell apart
3. colorsblend
4. mookie9999 *now a maybe, so hope mooks feels better and can make it!
5. metsfan
6. edvedder913
7. meme *after knicks game
8. MyHandsBound
9. No Code, PJ Tribute
10. spearhead
11. xavier mcdaniel *after knicks game
12. mauichick
13. decides2dream
14. Pearl Sam 333

maybes

1. NYPJ1 - or are you a definite?
2. Steve Dunne
3. Get_Right
4. Soujiro Seta
5. Solat13
6. Pearl Sam 333
7. JenInTheBx
8. cc nyc - a very hopeful maybe, just a wee bit late. :)
9. ShoeTheShoeless

please post your attendance plans and if you plan to bring along any guests....be better for determining how large a space/reservation we made need. again, feel free to also share any other suggestions for places, b/c even if not utilized this time around...perhaps the next meet!
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    I'm going to be real honest with you guys...

The Pearl Jam connection was actually the dive bar located underneath Bar East, called The Underscore. My band had the "luxory" of playing that place one night, and it's quite the shithole...as for Bar East...never stepped inside.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    if i'm not in VERMONT skiing i will be there can't committ just yet will soon though ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    where is this TBA place you type of?

jk

i read about how much fun was had at the most recent get2gether ,

id love to stop by with my QT if we could swing it.
    will keep checkin in to see where TBD turns out to be.
    :)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Hey!! You guys should wait till March. TEN will be playing at BB Kings on March 25th. En Vogue is playing a show before us. Should be interesting!! haha...
    Nick, lead singer for "TEN" a nationally touring Pearl Jam Tribute
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i gotta make it for cate
  • Options
    I'd love to join you but I'm wondering if you could pick a place more central--maybe midtown? I work all the way downtown and live in NJ and getting up to 90th St. and back to NJ is a bit of pain. Let me know what you decide. Thanks.
  • Options
    It's the week before I leave for Australia. I'm in!
  • Options

The Pearl Jam connection was actually the dive bar located underneath Bar East, called The Underscore. My band had the "luxory" of playing that place one night, and it's quite the shithole...as for Bar East...never stepped inside.

good to know. :p

alive4781 wrote:
    Hey!! You guys should wait till March. TEN will be playing at BB Kings on March 25th. En Vogue is playing a show before us. Should be interesting!! haha...

we've had meets in the past arranged around pj tribute bands, and while sure it can be fun...there's not much 'socializing' b/c you're too busy listening to the music! so, many of us like to have meets that are JUST about meeting up, socializing, getting to know fellow area fans. besides, we plan monthly meets, so there's nothing to stop another meet-up in march for that if there is interest. me, after february no more meets until after april 15th....but someone else may arrange one, or hey, you could too! :)

I'd love to join you but I'm wondering if you could pick a place more central--maybe midtown? I work all the way downtown and live in NJ and getting up to 90th St. and back to NJ is a bit of pain. Let me know what you decide. Thanks.

firstly, it was just an intital suggestion by a board member, certainly not *set* yet...but a VERY good point! i obviously didn't even look into it, and did not realize it is soooo far uptown. i have to say i agree with you, bit of a trek...couple with the comments made earlier by guitarhero......hmmm.

so then, we need suggestions for a bar/pub....preferably one with space we can reserve, with sofas/tables/whatever...to accommodate say 15 - 25 people!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    It's the week before I leave for Australia. I'm in!

awesome timing - so also a colorsblend sendoff!
    and yes, i am infinitely jealous......:p
    ahhhhhhhh, someday!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I am in :D

Midtown is tough - gets overcrowded and doesn't have a lot of space.

A friend of mine sometimes plays at Blackstone's - I went to see him recently and they have this back room w/its own separate bar and lots of tables - in an atrium. Flat screen TV's, fireplace...Very nice. You can also easily order food if wanted. The front has pool tables and a bar.

It's on East 55th btw 2nd and 3rd.

However, on Friday's they do have live entertainment there. As of yet, they have not put anyone on the schedule for 2/22....but they will as it approaches. I will continue to think of places....

http://www.blackstonesbarnyc.com/gallery-new.htm
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    ***we need bar/pub suggestions! preferably centrally located, say midtown or downtown.***

:rolleyes:
    :p

I just realized that we have tickets for a Knicks game that night. I should be out of MSG by 10 though and make my way wherever you guys decide to be.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300

A friend of mine sometimes plays at Blackstone's - I went to see him recently and they have this back room w/its own separate bar and lots of tables - in an atrium. Flat screen TV's, fireplace...Very nice. You can also easily order food if wanted. The front has pool tables and a bar.

However, on Friday's they do have live entertainment there. As of yet, they have not put anyone on the schedule for 2/22....but they will as it approaches. I will continue to think of places....

damm that sounds ideal for a meet up i hope that we could hang there and i do hope to make it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

awesome!

question though, do we really want live entertainment? i ask only b/c i think last time was soooo good b/c they music for most of the night was NOT too loud, and rally allowed us all to socialize. at the end of the evening it really got turned up and was next to impossible to converse w/o screaming. me, i am all about socializing, but if most are into live entertainment, that's ok too.

i DID converse with cate, she is totally in, and yes she agrees a bar/pub is the way to go.

again, midtown isn't a preference, just said midtown or downtown, seems easiest for most. i've looked into fatblackpussycat, but it seems we have to lay out cash to the tune of $5 a head to reserve space. so that's probably out i would think. pour house is still a very viable option if we don't get other ideas b/c there was no cash outlay and definite nice amount of space, even if their mixed drinks could use more alcohol. :p

*adding edvedder913 to the list*
    :D

jose i'll put ya as a maybe for now.......meme i'll add ya with the caveat of a late arrival. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    put me down as a maybe please
    With respect to the comments thus far:
    I think that having loud music kinda defeats the purpose of getting together
    I like live music, but thats not why I would attend.

as far as location goes, it doesnt matter to me

I thought the pourhouse was a great choice-not to loud reasonable drinks and eats, attentive staff

I hope to make this one
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    put me down as a maybe please
    With respect to the comments thus far:
    I think that having loud music kinda defeats the purpose of getting together
    I like live music, but thats not why I would attend.

as far as location goes, it doesnt matter to me

I thought the pourhouse was a great choice-not to loud reasonable drinks and eats, attentive staff

I hope to make this one

will do.

and yes, my thoughts exactly. same reason i really don't think of seeing tribute bands as a 'meet-up'...b/c you can barely talk! :p also, i guess i am a bit spoiled, i get lots of live music b/c hubby is in a couple bands that one or the other play out fairly regularly.

and the pour house was great, so if we don't get any better suggestions i think that may be the place. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I think it will be tough to beat the Pour House.

dream...see your pm. I will call and find out about reserving space - not sure they will do that.

IF my friend Ray is the entertainment he is mellow - solo, accoustic one man band. does an array of music from oasis, to johnny cash, oldies and goodies, dave matthews, and sometimes plays elderly woman!!!

we'd be able to converse while he is playing, but as I mentioned in previous post there is no one scheduled as of yet. I think the Pour House would probably be our best bet.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    aw, bogus, that's my b-day weekend. My b-day is Feb.25th. But I work Friday nights and early Sat. and if I stepped out for a drink I wouldn't get up! LOL.

I hope you guys have fun. I have heard good things about the Pourhouse and I have been to FBP and it's fun. It gets crowded!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    I can make it to this one.....:)....looking forward to see you all.....
  • Options
    Much More Than ThisMuch More Than This Brooklyn, NY Posts: 765
    ...O High Priestess of the Pit. I look forward to seeing those I missed when I had to pass on last week's get-together. - Tony
  • Options
    I'll try my best to be there ^_^
    Look forward to seeing you all
  • Options
    first post is updated with all info thus far. :)

that said, the fat black pussycat is definitely out. i emailed with someone there and they definitely require $5 pp reservation fee + a 2 drink pp minimum. no need for that! tis a shame too, their moroccan lounge is fantastic! however, i would not want to risk a big party on a friday night w/o a reservation....so it's out.

unless someone comes up with another suggestion, it's looking more and more likely to be the pour house.

btw - whether for this time or next, DO please try and come up with ideas for bars/restaurants......it's definitely nice to try new places, so perhaps get ideas to bring along, whatever. i'll wait 2 weeks for more suggestions before placing a tentative reservation just to hold us some space.....and i hope we get a LOT of people! we have cate visiting FROM oz...and be sending colorsblend off TO oz.....so good times! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i gotta make it for cate

:rolleyes: :)

looking forward to seeing everybody. thanks for setting this up D2D.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Put me down as a maybe. I'll try and see colorsblend before she heads off to Aussieland, but I may be in Raleigh that weekend.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Put me down as a maybe. I'll try and see colorsblend before she heads off to Aussieland, but I may be in Raleigh that weekend.

Boo Raleigh... go visit hot dog boy another weekend.

Also, dream, have you checked out Windfall on 39 at 6? We used it for a party last year, you can rent the space at the front of the bar/front window area, which can fit about 15ppl.

There's also The Australian on 38 at 6. Food is supposed to be good. We rented space there for my coworker's going away party that I didn't go to.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    I agree it will be hard to beat the Pour House...that's a good room for a big crowd, and I bet we get more this time than last.

I'm looking forward to getting together with everyone again
    This getting to be a good habit!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    spearhead wrote:
    I agree it will be hard to beat the Pour House...that's a good room for a big crowd, and I bet we get more this time than last.

I'm looking forward to getting together with everyone again
    This getting to be a good habit!

i already changed the info in the first post to reflect this overall consensus - pour house it is! :) i have yet to make a reservation, bt once february rolls around, i will.

looking forward to seeing everyone again, and hell yes....hope we get a lot of new joiners too!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Though I would be indebted to you if you would avoid tagging me # 13 on the list of attendees. I'm selectively superstitious.
  • Options
    Though I would be indebted to you if you would avoid tagging me # 13 on the list of attendees. I'm selectively superstitious.

freak. ;)
    and of course....done. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Much More Than ThisMuch More Than This Brooklyn, NY Posts: 765
    If the Hero were really honest, he'd advise us as to whether we will be graced with his presence. - Tony
  • Options
    freak. ;)
    and of course....done. :D

Thanks!