Play The Spectrum you pussies before they tear it down

my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Seriously, i know the band loves to play the older historic arena's but rarely do they get the opportunity now to shake the old concrete and help lift the ghosts of memories past in classic legend filled arena's... well the Spectrum in Philadelphia is one of the last standing classic arena's left in this country... and it appears as though it is going to get torn down by it's corporate ownership, Comcast, to develop retail, hotel, and restaraunt space

So i think the boys need to get one final stop in at the Spectrum... 2 or 3 show stand would send it off just right

they have played it before, and they tried to play their again in 2005 but had to perform at the larger and newer Wachovia Center next door instead...

So now in 2008, with rumors flying about concerts and tours I think we should request that the band play the Spectrum for one last time, and give us local Philadelphia area fans one last opportunity to shake the foundation and wake the memories of this fine old building for one last hoorah, as only Pearl Jam and us freaks can...

The Spectrum may be past her prime and fading into an imminent and obvious demise... but we can give her one last night of life and energy...

ROCK THE FUCKING SPECTRUM IN 2008!!!

please sign on if you support this glorious cause...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i say they use PJ to tear it down... have em crank their amps waaay up and just shake that fucker to the ground!

i could make the trip to philly for this... ill sign your petition! :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i say they use PJ to tear it down... have em crank their amps waaay up and just shake that fucker to the ground!

i could make the trip to philly for this... ill sign your petition! :D

WORD

it would be such a lovely show if they played there... hopefully they still can!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    lets send her off in style!!!
  • just out of curiosity... how are the acoustic in that place? i find that the older the place is the better the sound generally... these new arenas have no charm and are NOT made for concerts

• the best idea i've heard in a while. Rock philly!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • i'll be there, it's on the way to other pj tour dates i'm wishin for, toronto, ny, st college, nj, dc, va, no one in their right mind comes to balt anymore, well axil was there last year showed up at 10:30, oh i rest my case
    03 bristow,04 reading,05 toronto,05 phillie,06 camden,06 dc,07 chicago,08 dc,08 camden,09 philliex2,10 bristow
    eddie solo 08 dc,09 balt, 11 phillie
  • i will sign that shit!!
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • i support this thread!
    it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I hereby pronounce this thread, Jeagler Approved.

Stamped 2/09/2008.

anytime guys.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I enjoyed my only concert at the Spectrum.
  • Spectrum '03 was one of the best (from a fan energy perspective) PJ shows i've ever seen.

That arena is truly ear shattering in its reverberating acoustics.

ROCK THE SPECTRUM.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • that would be a great idea....i love the old spectrum..
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • drifting said it correct. when they took the stage there in 2003 you knew it was gonna be a special night. it felt like two straight minutes of deafening roar. great great show. first time i heard glorified g. i whole heartedly endorse the idea.
    the ice on my teeth makes the crystal cold
  • drifting said it correct. when they took the stage there in 2003 you knew it was gonna be a special night. it felt like two straight minutes of deafening roar. great great show. first time i heard glorified g. i whole heartedly endorse the idea.

No you said it correct!
    ;)

I almost forgot about the enormous opening reception.

TO DATE, the loudest and fucking longest i have EVER heard a crowd cheer upon house lights going out.

Fucking nuts.
    Incomparably so.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    my2hands wrote:
    Seriously, i know the band loves to play the older historic arena's but rarely do they get the opportunity now to shake the old concrete and help lift the ghosts of memories past in classic legend filled arena's... well the Spectrum in Philadelphia is one of the last standing classic arena's left in this country... and it appears as though it is going to get torn down by it's corporate ownership, Comcast, to develop retail, hotel, and restaraunt space

So i think the boys need to get one final stop in at the Spectrum... 2 or 3 show stand would send it off just right

they have played it before, and they tried to play their again in 2005 but had to perform at the larger and newer Wachovia Center next door instead...

So now in 2008, with rumors flying about concerts and tours I think we should request that the band play the Spectrum for one last time, and give us local Philadelphia area fans one last opportunity to shake the foundation and wake the memories of this fine old building for one last hoorah, as only Pearl Jam and us freaks can...

The Spectrum may be past her prime and fading into an imminent and obvious demise... but we can give her one last night of life and energy...

ROCK THE FUCKING SPECTRUM IN 2008!!!

please sign on if you support this glorious cause...

Best

idea

ever
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Anyone know of any sites that have pics of the INSIDE of the spectrum? Something that shows the seating area, concourse, etc?

I heard its very much like the old Chicago Stadium, and just wanted to check it out.

Man, I miss the Old Barn. too bad they may tear this down too.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • I'd love to see Pearl jam play there again....missed them last time:(
    It's a great place.:)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • i'm seeing the Foo Fighters at teh Spectrum next thursday

funny I saw this thread, just yesterday afternoon I was drinking beers on the steps of the spectrum before the Flyers/Rangers game.
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Anyone know of any sites that have pics of the INSIDE of the spectrum? Something that shows the seating area, concourse, etc?

I heard its very much like the old Chicago Stadium, and just wanted to check it out.

Man, I miss the Old Barn. too bad they may tear this down too.
    i think they should build some new arenas using the designs of old ones... the "retro" vibe is so in fashion right now and i think people would appreciate something like that... even if it means less seating... i missed out on ever attending a game/show at chicago stadium but ive heard great things!

• That place always rocks. It's a shame to see it go. PJ would do well to play there once more! Philly has always had good places to rock, I even remember going to a few shows at the old JFK Stadium. The best shows were Pink Floyd and U2, not to mention Live Aid!
  • I visited the Spectrum during a phantoms game and took pictures. I snuck around in the back over by the club seats which were covered over. I took some pics and so on. Afterwards, someone looked at the pictures I took and said they saw a ghost. It looked to me like an orange and red beachball to me. Anyways, my friend who saw the pics sent them to the flyers organization. They actually wrote to me asking where it was taken and said no comment.

I'd go back to Philly if PJ played there...
  • I'd love to see Pearl jam play there again....missed them last time:(
    It's a great place.:)

Me too :(... I've always hoped they would come back!
  • i read that spectrum/comcast officals are interested in doing special things for its final months including having the sixers play a final home game at the spectrum...i think they'd be thrilled with lots of bands playing one last night there to send it off!
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Signed!!!
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Did you post this on Philaphans tonight? :)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Did you post this on Philaphans tonight? :)
    Seekin?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    bump for the "Boston Strangler"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Toney
  • Seekin?

Nope. I have been lurking ther for YEARS. Dating back to the Lindros days. I have a username, just don't post. I'm afraid I would get banned for going off on GMAN. I wouldn't be able to resist.
    lets shatter one more backboard for "Double D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxg7cLp-JIM